Unofficial Portkey Archive

Blind by VirtualFaerie/MalfoyMyFerret
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Blind

VirtualFaerie/MalfoyMyFerret

A/N: Yes, I'm quite aware of how crazy I am--starting another story and all. But really, I couldn't help myself. Besides, this is just something that I dredged up from my hard drive, I've had it on there forever. It just needed a little dusting off and some re-writing and it would be okay.

This fic is going to be two parts.

Disclaimer: Don't own anything related to Harry Potter--and I definitely don't own Gucci.

------------------------

BLIND

Part I -- What Are You?? Blind?

By VirtualFaerie

Ginny Weasley was perusing the aisle of a grocery store, trying to decide what exactly she already had at home and what she needed to keep her from starving for the rest of the week. Grocery shopping was one of her most dreaded activities. Not to mention that she was having to do it at a late hour. Good thing they had grocery stores open at ten o'clock.

She had just gotten off of work. Working as a secretary for Amos Diggory was no easy task, and he was very demanding and had her doing work that he probably should have been doing himself. But she wasn't all that miffed about having to stay over-time to do it. It meant she got paid extra, which was always a Good Thing.

The only thing she liked about grocery shopping was the fact that it did not take place in her lonely, empty apartment. She hated being at her apartment on account of it being so lonely, and therefore spent as much time outside of it as possible.

As usual, she had her head in the clouds and wasn't paying attention to where she was going when she ran straight into another person's cart. It sent her flying back onto the cold, hard, tiled floor of the grocery store. She was mad.

"What are you?? Blind?!?" She asked shrilly. She pulled herself up off of the ground and dusted off her behind. She stood up straight to look the offender in the eye, and was quite surprised to see a very tall and very blond man in front of her. And he was wearing sunglass. Gucci if she could see right.

"Actually," he said, the corner of his mouth taking a sardonic uplift. "I am."

Ginny's eyes widened. That would explain his sunglasses at night. She clapped her hand over her mouth and felt her cheeks heat up. "Oh my gods," she breathed. "I'm so sorry, I didn't know!"

"I don't see how you could have." He said, smirking. What a kidder.

"I'm sorry. I wasn't paying attention to where I was going," Ginny gushed. She was wringing her hands. She couldn't believe that she'd just run into a blind man's cart. She felt so awful. And then she'd had the gall to ask him if he was blind!! What was she, insane? "Are you okay?" she asked.

"I'm quite fine. How are you?" he said. Yes, he was quite fine, she heard herself agreeing. A very fine specimen of male. He had longish blond hair that looked baby fine and begged to have fingers run through it. His face was chiseled and smooth, his lips a perfect shape, not too thin and not too full. He was very tall, and very muscular, she could see it through his polo shirt.

She squint her eyes and cocked her head to the side, trying to figure out what was so familiar about him. He looked like someone she had known. "I've got a sore bum," she finally replied to his question. She narrowed her eyes. "You look familiar," she said slowly.

"Do I?" he said. "You might look familiar, but I'm not quite sure." She blinked a few times, wondering if he'd ever let go of her first remark to him. She doubted it.

"What's your name?" she asked.

"My name?" he asked. "Why?"

"Because," Ginny said, getting irritated. Wasn't it wrong to get irritated with a blind man. It should be. "I want to see if I know you."

"Oh, right," he said, nodding his head understandably. "Of course, you would."

"Name?" Ginny asked, tapping her foot impatiently.

He raised his eyebrows. "Alright, alright. No need to get your knickers all in a twist." He smirked at her. "My name is Draco Malfoy."

Ginny gasped. "Draco? Draco Malfoy?"

"That's my name," he said. He wasn't looking quite at her...more of at the shelf right above her shoulder. Ginny felt her heart flutter faintly. "I didn't catch your name," he said.

"That's because I haven't told you," Ginny said, frowning.

She was sure that he blinked behind his designer shades. "That was supposed to be a hint that maybe you should tell me," he said slowly, as if talking to a toddler.

She frowned distressfully. She didn't know if she wanted to tell him her real name. She remembered having a crush on him during Hogwarts--he had been so unreachable then, just because of her name. And if she told him her name now, he'd be just as unreachable. It's not as if he'd ever find out, right? He was blind.

"I'm Jenny," she said. "Jenny Wesley," she said, hoping that he wouldn't be able to sense her lie. At least it sounded close to her name--maybe if he was smart enough he'd put two and two together. "I went to school with you," she blurted out before she could stop herself.

She saw a perfectly sculpted eyebrow arch from underneath his sunglasses. "Oh, did you? I don't remember you...or your name anyways."

"I was a year younger than you."

"What house were you in?"

"Gryffindor," she said slowly.

"No wonder your name didn't ring a bell," he said, yawning slightly. "I didn't associate with Gryffindors back then."

"Back then?" Ginny asked, furrowing her eyebrows. "It doesn't matter now?"

"Everyone's crazy now--so no, it doesn't really matter. Besides, what's the use of keeping up school rivalries? It isn't like we're there anymore."

"You don't sound like the Draco Malfoy from Hogwarts," Ginny said, looking at him askance.

"People change," he said simply. "Who'd have thought that Draco Malfoy would go blind?"

"How did you go blind?" Ginny asked carefully, hoping that she wasn't treading on a dangerous subject.

"My father had a hex that went wrong," he said bluntly, putting his hands back on the handle of his cart and steering very slowly around Ginny's.

"Why did he hex you?"

"Because I didn't want to become another one of Lord Voldemort's hapless minions," said Draco, some sort of emotion passing over his face. Ginny couldn't identify it.

"I'm sorry," Ginny said. "I didn't mean to..."

Draco smirked again. "I'll forgive you if you let me take you out for a cup of coffee," he said, crossing his arms and staring raptly in his direction. Ginny vaguely wondered how he could still be so confident.

"I'd like that," Ginny said, grinning.

"Well, I'll take you, but first I need to pay for my groceries," he said, pushing his cart down the aisle and to the register.

"Of course," Ginny said, following him to the check-out. "How do you know where you're going?"

He turned his head towards her, "I was given this kind of spell that lets me know my surroundings, just so I can find my way around without bumping into things or getting lost."

"Why don't you just have a medi-wizard fix your eyes for you?" She asked curiously, helping him put his groceries on the black conveyer belt.

"I can't, not right now at least. There's only one that can do it; it takes powerful magic to tamper with something as fragile as a person's eyes. Right now he's over in Algeria dealing with a life and death crisis, and it just so happens that is more important than getting my eyesight back." He said, pulling some galleons out of his pocket when the check-out girl asked for his money.

Ginny paid for her own groceries and they went outside. When they got to the coffee shop, she asked, "Did the hex ruin your eyes? I mean they way they look? Because they were very nice last time I saw them," Ginny said, blushing slight--very glad he couldn't see it.

Draco's face was taken over by a very self-satisfied smirk. "I haven't ever been able too tell," he replied tartly.

"Can I look?" Ginny asked tentatively.

He looked a bit hesitant. "Sure, I guess."

Ginny reached up and pulled his sunglasses off so she could see his eyes properly, as she did her fingers brushed his temple and she felt him shift under her touch. She grinned and looked at his eyes, they were still as beautiful as ever, only now they held a slightly dazed kind of look, like the kind one might have while they were daydreaming. Ginny sighed and touched his cheek, "Still nice," she breathed. She was now very aware of how close her lips were to his, and her big mouth spoke up for her before she could stop herself. "Can I kiss you?"

She felt him stiffen, then relax. He lowered his lips a little so they brushed against hers gently, and he felt with his hands until he found her waist and rested them hands there. Ginny put her arms around his neck and kissed him back, enjoying the feeling of kissing Draco Malfoy, something that she never dreamed she would have been able to do.

He pulled back, his dazed eyes looking at her face, she felt herself blush and then she reminded herself that he couldn't see her. "So," Draco said softly, to break the uneasy silence. "What do you look like?"

Ginny hesitated, "Well, I'm rather short, maybe 5'2 and my hair is r-dark brown and I have brown eyes."

He nodded. "I wish I could see you."

Ginny bowed her head. "Maybe it's best if you didn't."

"Why would you say that?" He asked curiously.

"Because, you might not like what you see," Ginny said quietly.

The waitress came with their coffee and they drank in silence. "I don't think that it really matters what you look like," Draco said slowly. "After being blind for almost a year, I've learned that looks certainly aren't the most important things."

Ginny smiled. "I'm not that bad looking."

Draco shot her a cheeky grin. "But it doesn't matter now does it?"

"I guess not."

They talked some more and finished their coffee. And when they were standing back outside in front of the coffee shop Draco said, "Why don't you let me walk you home?"

"I think I'd like that," Ginny said linking her arm with his.

------------------------

THREE MONTHS LATER

"Jenny, love! Have you seen my socks? I need some socks," Draco called from his bedroom.

Ginny looked up from her perch on the couch and smiled. "Have you looked in your sock drawer?"

"No, I didn't look in my sock drawer," Draco answered, walking out of his bedroom and sounding quite peeved.

Ginny got up. "I'll get some from the laundry room."

Ginny and Draco had been living together for two months, and Draco still didn't know who she really was. Ginny was so in love with him that she wasn't sure how she was going to tell him, or how he was going to take it. All she knew was that she had to tell him soon because the medi-wizard that could cure him would be back in England in a few days. After the grocery store incident they had gone out on many dates and then decided since they were seeing…well maybe not seeing, but since they were together so often, that maybe they should just share an apartment. So now they were.

Ginny came out of the laundry room and tossed Draco a pair of socks, which he missed, not even having known that she would toss a pair to him. Ginny giggled and picked them back up, handing them to him this time. He scowled at her, "I don't see how you could have thought that I might EVER catch those." Draco sat down on the couch and began tugging on his socks.

"I forgot, it was a natural reflex…to just toss the socks across the room," said Ginny, smiling.

Draco finished and grinned. "That's okay, because you can make it up to me."

"Ho--," Ginny was cut off by his lips on hers, she smiled into his lips. They broke apart and Ginny stared at him. "I apologize to you a lot, don't I?" she asked, amused.

"That's because you're always getting into trouble," he said, pushing himself off the couch. "Could you help me find my shoes?"

Ginny rolled her eyes, she didn't know how he ever survived without her in the first place. "Sure. Where are you going?"

"Not telling, it's a surprise." Ginny grinned, last time he said that he had wandered home with a bouquet of roses.

"Hurry up and go so that you can get back," Ginny said, handing him his shoes.

He looked over at her, "I'll go as quickly as possible." He put his shoes on, patted his back pocket to make sure his wallet was there and kissed Ginny on the cheek. "I'm going now, see you when I get back." Ginny should have taken what he said as a hint. But she didn't. She kissed his cheek too and wished him a safe trip.

------------------------

Ginny was sitting on the couch reading a book, when she heard a key click into the lock of the door. She smiled and went to open it for Draco, but when she did, she was too surprised for words. Her mouth gaped and her eyes widened.

"Hey, Je--," he looked at her. "Are you Jenny?"

Ginny's lower lip trembled. "More like Ginny." Draco didn't say anything, he just blinked.

"You lied to me," he said calmly, taking in her red hair and freckles.

"I wanted to you to give me a chance. I didn't think you would have if you'd known who I really was," she said weakly.

"So you lied," his voice still an eerie calm.

"Yes," she breathed, looking down at the floor. Draco shut the door and sat on the couch with his head in his hands.

"You're a Weasley," he said more of a statement than a question.

------------------------

A/N: Yes, yes, I know!! No need to tell me…it's OCC. But I couldn't help it!!! That's why it's fanfiction, right? That's why I'm not J.K. Rowling. ::sighs:: Oh well, I hope you liked it. It's the first part of two.

Please Review. (I'll post the next part sooner-it's all done.)