Unofficial Portkey Archive

Out of Sight, But Not Out of Mind by Blue Lady
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Out of Sight, But Not Out of Mind

Blue Lady

Out of Sight, But Not Out of Mind
by Blue Lady

Summary: When a spell backfires and Ginny accidentally mind-bonds herself to Draco, she decides to have some fun - especially since Draco hasn't a clue as to just who it is he's bonded to! D/G, H/Hr and R/Lu on the side.


Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter.

Author's Note: I was digging around in my folder of storylines and then I stumbled onto this story... I'm planning on this to be one of my shorter fics, that is, nowhere near the length Off-Limits is turning out to be.....but then you never know. My intention though, is to keep this to only a few chapters so I can prove that I can actually finish a fanfic I write for once!! Anyways, hope you enjoy this fic and don't forget to leave a comment!


Chapter 1


"I want five rolls of parchment. This will be due next week. Any questions?" Professor Snape looked around the class for a minute before waving them away. "Dismissed."



"Five rolls of parchment! There goes my weekend. Stupid Snape and his stupid sodding assignments."
Ginny Weasley grumbled inwardly as she walked out of the Potions Classroom. Thank goodness her other teachers decided to have mercy on her or she might be forced to choose to sacrifice Quidditch practise again because she wouldn't be able to get out of bed on time..

Still muttering to herself, she headed in the direction of the library. 'I might as well get some work done before dinner...' she thought and then she grimaced, 'Now I'm starting to sound like Hermione! I wonder if that's suppose to be a good thing...'


So absorbed was she in her thinking, she failed to notice a foot sticking out in front of her before it was too late...


CRASH!

Ginny lurched forward as her Potions textbook went flying. Groaning from the impact, she shook her head and saw a pair of polished black shoes came into her sight. As her gaze travelled up, she recognized the familiar coat of arms belonging to Slytherin house and icy gaze that a pair of familiar grey eyes were now directing at her.


Draco Malfoy had been looking for an opportunity to Ron Weasley back for that jib he made in Care of Magical Creatures, so what better way to do it than to annoy his precious sister? No doubt the girl will soon go crying to her brother and Potter and then he can have some fun....


"Can't you watch where you're going, Weasley?" scowled Draco, "You almost got my shoes dirty."


Ginny picked herself up and gave him a condescending look, "Don't worry Ferret-Boy, it suits you."


Draco's cheek took on a faint tinge of pink at the hated nickname. "Very brave, Weasley." he sneered, "So what are you going to do? Run to your precious Potter?"


"Oh sod off, Malfoy." grumbled Ginny as she retrieved her Potions book. As she walked pass him, she gave him a rough shove, causing Draco to stumble a bit.

Draco glared at the retreating back as he dusted himself off.


'This isn't over yet, Weasley.'

***************************************

Finally seating down at a table to start on her essay, Ginny looked at the thick books she had placed down beside her. Potent d'amour: All about Love Potions.


Placing her head in her hands, Ginny groaned inwardly. Just reading through this book would take her half a day at least. But all the other familiar potions only had a limited amount of information and that would definitely not be enough for a report that was five rolls of parchment. Besides, this would be easier because she had already done a report on it for DADA last year.


Sighing, she reached into her bag for her quill and piece of parchment when a shadow suddenly appeared in front of her.


"This is pathetic, Weasley." sneered a familiar voice.


Ginny rolled her eyes, "Don't you have anything else better to do besides insult me?" she asked the blond coldly.


"What's the matter, Malfoy?" Ginny asked mockingly, "Can't afford a life?"


Draco ignored the last sentence, "Weasley, I know you worship Potter, but love potions?! How desperate can you be?"


Ginny flushed and then she slowly raised her head to meet Draco's gaze, "This is for a Potions assignment, you annoying prat." she said through gritted teeth. Mentally she debated whether or not to chuck the heavy textbook at his head.


"Excuses, excuses." said Draco breezily, "Well, I guess it would be entertaining to see a lovesick Potter following you around - if you can figure out how to brew one. Last time I heard, Potions wasn't exactly your best subject."


"Get the hell away from me, Malfoy." said Ginny, rubbing her temple, "I'm not in the mood for your taunts today."

"No," drawled Draco, pulling out a chair, "I think I feel like staying."

Ginny groaned, "Can't you go and make someone else's life miserable for a change?"

"And deprive myself of my favorite victim?"

Ginny stared at him. "Isn't Ron your favorite victim? Or Harry or Hermione?"

"Well, they aren't exactly around at the moment."

"Thanks. Did I mention what an absolute honour is it to have your slimy presence hanging around me?" she said sarcastically.

"So the Weaselette has a voice after all. Finally got over your hero-worship of Potter?"

"Malfoy, can you please get lost?"

"Gin," Draco leaned closer, "Can you blame me if I like talking with you?"

Ginny's breath caught in her throat as Draco moved his face closer. What was he doing? Was he going to kiss her? Wait a minute, this was Draco Malfoy! However, her eyes fluttered shut involuntarily, but after a moment of waiting, she opened her eyes again to see the trademark smirk appear on his face.

"I don't kiss girls with fizzy red hair. Sorry to disappoint you, Weasley."

Ginny's mouth dropped open before anger took her. "I wouldn't kiss you if you were the last man alive on this planet." she hissed.

"Sure didn't look like it a minute ago," replied Draco breezily.

"You stuck-up, arrogant-"

"It's not my fault you're so gullible...or should I say desperate?" Draco said smoothly, "And I think I've had enough fun today. Don't spend too much time dreaming about me, Weasley!" he laughed and turned around, walking towards the entrance.

However, Ginny had reached the end of her patience today. Grabbing her wand off the table, she pointed it straight at Draco's retreating back. "Praesentia concateno." she hissed and a thin red beam of light shot towards Draco. The beam of light hit his back, but his step never faltered as he disappeared from view. Hermione had taught her that spell last week when she had been learning about various curses and hexes which affected the mind. This one allowed whomever casted the spell to give the victim a painful migraine simply by reciting a particular phase.

A grin appeared on Ginny's face. "You better watch out, Malfoy, or I might just time that migraine in the middle of the Ravenclaw-Slytherin match...although that might deprive me of the opportunity to see Harry kick your sorry ass when Gryffindor goes up against Slytherin..."

Her moment of victory was short-lived as her gaze fell back on her Potions assignment, and she wearily sat back down to finish her report.

************************************

Three hours and seventeen minutes later, Ginny trudged out of the library with her books and made her way towards the Great Hall for dinner. At least her report was finally done; one less piece of homework for the weekend.


"At least now I can test out that new curse I just placed on Malfoy!" and with this thought, her mood improved considerably. It wasn't everyday that she got a chance to strike back at the so-called Prince of Slytherin.

At the bottom of the stairs, she ran into a familiar looking face. "Hey, Luna!" Ginny smiled at the blond, "Where were you during History of Magic?"

"Ronald wanted to show me something..." Luna sighed dreamily.

"And that's all the information I'll need," Ginny pretended to shudder as she grabbed ahold of Luna's arm and steered her towards the Gryffindor table, "There's only so much a sister should know about her brother."

Ginny coughed loudly as she noticed Harry exploring Hermione's mouth again. Didn't those two ever stop?

Hermione quickly jerked back, but Harry didn't seem all that willing, until he spotted Ginny standing behind Hermione with Luna, wearing an expression halfway between amusement and exasperation.

"Oh, uh, hey Ginny!" he said, trying to cover up any discomfort he might have felt at being caught, which amused the redhead to no end. He did realize that he was snogging Hermione in plain view of everyone in the Great Hall, didn't he?! But, Ginny pursed her lips, this was Harry Potter and in these matters, he was also well-know for being notoriously dense.

Hermione just rolled her eyes before she moved over to give Ginny and Luna some room.

Ginny grinned at Hermione, "I finally got a chance to try out one of those curses you taught me last week."

The brown-haired prefect raised an eyebrow, "Technically I should be deducting points off for this, but since I'm as guilty as you are," a matching grin appeared on her face, "Who's the lucky victim?"

"Ferret-Boy."

"I can't wait to see this!" cut in Harry, "What did you curse him with?"

"The migraine spell." smirked Ginny. Suddenly, she froze as something seemed to tug on her mind.

"Ginny?" Luna asked in concern, waving a hand in front of her face.

Ginny snapped out of it. "Nothing..." she abruptly changed the subject, "Let's eat. I'm famished."

***********************************


"...Whew! Finally got rid of her. I swear, Father will have to see things my way once he gets an idea of how badly mutilated the Malfoy genes will be if that ever happens. Dear Merlin...." Ginny was in the middle of a game of wizard chess with Ron when the voice first appeared inside her head.

Her mouth fell open, but no sound came out. Ron gave her a curious look. "Ginny?"

However, she just looked ahead unseeingly. "Malfoy…"

Ron blinked before a scowl appeared on his face. "What about the sodding prat?"

"Did I just imagine that?" thought Ginny in bewilderment. She could have sworn that she had just heard Draco's voice in her mind. Out loud all she said was, "He was just being a pain in the arse today."

That was enough to send Ron straight into over-protective brother mode. "When?" he demanded, "Did he hurt you? What did he do? Do you want me and Harry to beat him up?"

His sister just shrugged it off, "He was just being himself," she gave him a meaningful look, "Besides, I'm a big girl. I can handle him."

"All the more reason to end his miserable life," muttered her brother.

"Nobody's stopping you," pointed out Ginny.

"They'll probably name a day in your honor just for that," added in a new voice.

"Harry!" Hermione slapped his arm, "Be nice."

"Mione! This is Malfoy we're talking about!" he protested.


Hermione gave him an arch look. "Why do you think I taught Ginny all those curses for?"


Harry took this as another opportunity to give his girlfriend a long, lingering kiss.

****************************************


TBC