Unofficial Portkey Archive

Forever Yours by Aris
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Forever Yours

Aris

Title: Forever Yours
Author name: Aris
Author email: risasunshine@yahoo.com
Category: Romance
Sub Category: Angst
Keywords: Harry Hermione
Rating: PG
Spoilers: SS/PS, CoS, PoA, GoF
Summary: A Harry/Hermione songfic of tragic proportions. Harry is dead. Step in to Hermione's shoes and feel what she feels.
DISCLAIMER: This story is based on characters and situations created and owned by JK Rowling, various publishers including but not limited to Bloomsbury Books, Scholastic Books and Raincoast Books, and Warner Bros., Inc. No money is being made and no copyright or trademark infringement is intended. The song is "Against All Odds" by Phil Collins and does not belong to me.
Author notes: Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Forever Yours

How can I just let you walk away, just let you leave without a trace
When I stand here taking every breath with you, ooh
You're the only one who really knew me at all

How can you just walk away from me,
when all I can do is watch you leave
Cause we've shared the laughter and the pain and even shared the tears
You're the only one who really knew me at all

"Harry!" I sob as I hold his lifeless form in my arms. His beautiful face is wet with my tears but I do not care. I just want him back. Why isn't he waking up? Why doesn't he open his eyes and smile at me like he usually does when he is playing tricks on me?
"Harry?!" I was yelling now as I shook him. "Oh God, why isn't he moving? Harry?! Oh God."
I stroke his face lovingly.
"I love you," I say.
"I love you," I repeat as I embrace him. My whole body racks with sobs causing him to shake violently in my arms.
"He is just sleeping soundly I say to myself," but my words give me no comfort as I know in my head that they are lies, despite the fact that my heart refuses to let me think otherwise.
I continue to hold him swaying back and forth....

So take a look at me now, oh there's just an empty space
And there's nothing left here to remind me,
just the memory of your face
Ooh take a look at me now, well there's just an empty space
And you coming back to me is against the odds and that's what I've got to face

How could I ever had known that day when I stepped onto the train to Hogwart's School of Witchcraft and Wizardry that I was going to meet my soul mate? I still look back and laugh at what a prat I was in those days. No wonder he and Ron could not stand me when they first met me. I mean who likes a bossy know-it-all? He did apparently. I still remember it as if it were yesterday.

We had graduated from Hogwarts just about an hour before and the entire gang had decided to go to Hogsmeade for a celebration. We were all settled nicely in a booth in the Three Broomsticks, when I suddenly remembered that there was this book I had to get and since we already in Hogsmeade, I could just pick up one at The Buttercup Palace. It was Ron who actually volunteered Harry's services, joking that I might get kidnapped if I went alone. That Ron, such a clown but such a good guy.

So Harry accompanied me and we chatted about our plans for the future while we walked. While chatting with him, I could help but look on and admire him as he spoke. He never ceased to amaze me with how together he was, even after everything that he went through. And so modest, he was always so modest. That was our Harry. Even after he single handily defeated Voldemort and every girl in the school decided that he should be hers, he still kept his head on.

He had looked so cute when that gust of wind blew some of his hair into his eyes. My heart actually did a summersault and that's when it dawned on me that I might have had a crush on my best friend.

I might have been in denial a bit beforehand though. To be honest, in retrospect we had been spending a lot of time together, and we had had even more alone time since Ron had started dating Sara. (His wife now)

And then the rain started falling. It was just a light drizzle at first but then it started coming down in torrents. Harry and I made our way towards Honeyduke's. We stood huddled together in front of the store, seeking whatever little shelter we could get from its striped green and white awning.

And that's when it happened.

"Hermione," he said. His face was nervous and his left hand kept tugging at his right, the way he usually did when he had something important to say.

"What is it?" I asked looking directly into his eyes.
"I could get lost in those," I heard myself think.
"What on earth are you thinking? He is your best friend!" It was like my mind and heart were fighting a tug of war.

"Are you okay?" He asked looking at me quizzically.

Apparently the little voices in my head had caused me to assume a few different facial expressions.

"I'm fine," I chirped, a little too eagerly.

He looked at me hesitantly.

"Go on," I said.

"Hermione," he repeated. "Um I don't exactly know how to say this. Scratch that. I don't even know where to begin."

"How about at the beginning Harry, that's always a good place to start," I offered.

"The beginning," he said. "I suppose it began when Hagrid first informed me of my true heritage. But since you know almost everything about that aspect of my life already, I'll spare you the details."

I nod wondering where he is going with this.

"You know that it's no big secret that girls have been throwing themselves at me for a long time given my "status" and all."

I nod. Had it been anyone else I would have thought that they were being a show off prat, but with Harry it was different.

"Well I think that I have actually gone and fallen for one of them," he smiled nervously.

At that moment I felt my heart fall a million stories down.

"You fell for one of your fangirls?" I asked in a tone that was too disgusted to be misconstrued as anything else. Upon realising what I did however I tried to cover it up with a smile. I had to be happy for my best friend after all. Harry however didn't even seem to take notice of my tone of voice or my fake smile.

"Oh no he said not a fangirl, just a girl er I mean a very special young woman,"
He looked solemnly into my eyes now, all nervousness out the window and repeated "A very special young woman."

There was no mistaken whom he was referring to.

And then in true Hermione Granger style, I blurted out "Well it's about time Harry Potter!" Ever the Miss Bossy who always had to be on schedule, I clamped my two hands over my mouth when I realised what I had done.

Harry didn't seem to mind, he actually grinned more broadly than I had ever seen before. Later on he would tell me that it was more from relief that the feeling was mutual than anything else. That and the fact that I had just made him the happiest man in the world.

Little did he know that he made me the happiest woman in the world. To be loved by him was the greatest gift that I could ever ask for.

I wish I could just make you turn around,
turn around and see me cry
There's so much I need to say to you,
so many reasons why
You're the only one who really knew me at all

Four years later we were married in a small but lavish ceremony at Westabster's Grove, the house where Lily and James had resided after they were married.
And as we stood there, under a strategically placed arch in the garden, Harry recited his beautiful vow to me.

Hermione, you came to into my life under the guise of a friend. Little did I know that you were going to be an angel with wings who would help carry me through my greatest of challenges and be there to celebrate my greatest of triumphs. You've seen me through the good times and you've seen me through worst times. You held my hand when I could no longer walk alone and the rest of the world shunned me. Your belief in me never faltered and so too my love for you will never fail. You are the only one who really knew me at all. Hermione Granger, you are my life, my breath, my soul, my love. You are rock by which I keep myself grounded and I love for being all those things in my life but most of all I love you for being you. And today I make you my wife, my equal, my life long partner. I love you, Hermione Granger.

So take a look at me now, well there's just an empty space
And there's nothing left here to remind me, just the memory of your face
Now take a look at me now, cause there's just an empty space

That fateful night I had prepared a candlelit dinner for two. I couldn't wait to give Harry the good news. I was just putting the finishing touches on dinner when Hedwig flew in with a letter.
It simply said, "There has been an accident. Harry is badly hurt, come quickly." It was addressed from the Blogsburr Hospital.

Dropping everything I apparated to the hospital and ran to the first nurses station that I could find.
"Harry Potter? Where is he?" I ask frantically.

The nurse has a grim look on her face.
"Let me get Dr. Daffels for you," she says.

"What is it?" I grab her and begin to shake her. "What are you not telling me?"

"Calm down madam." She says as she loosens herself from my grip and runs to fetch the doctor.

Dr. Daffels walks over to me, his face unsmiling; his eyes kind and sympathetic.
"Mrs. Potter," he begins "there is no easy way for me to say, can you please sit down?"

"No," I say. "Just say it."

"I am sorry," he says lowering his eyes "Harry didn't make it."

I didn't hear another word that he said for at that moment my entire world went black.

And when I opened my eyes again Harry was standing in front of me, smiling. He had this beautiful glow around him.

"Harry," I say "I have wonderful news for you. We are going to have a baby."
I move forward to embrace him.

He takes me in his arms and caresses my hair.
"That is wonderful news," he smiles as he puts his hand on my stomach. "You'll be a wonderful mother. Take care of our little one."

"Harry I do not understand," I say. "What do you mean take care of our little one? Are you off to somewhere?"

He kisses my forehead. "I love you sweetheart. It's time to wake up now."

"Wake up. Mrs. Potter? Can you hear me? It's Dimitri Daffels. Ah there we are, you've just had a fainting spell."

I blink.
"What happened? Where is Harry?" I ask. Then everything comes flooding back. "I want to see him," I say. I think I must be in shock for I feel numb.

Dr. Daffels leads me to the morgue. There is a lone gurney in the right hand corner of the room. On top of the gurney there is a human-shaped figure covered by a white sheet. Part of me wants to scream, part wants to run, but the largest part of me is hoping that they are wrong and that it is someone else. I walk towards the gurney and place my hand on the covers to pull it off so I can prove once and for all that it is not Harry. Not my Harry.

I hesitate.

"If it is indeed him what am I going to do?" I wonder. "He's all that I know. He is my life. He is my love and I cannot imagine my life without him even for a second." My eyes begin to flood with tears. "No can't think that way." I whisper.
I close my eyes tightly as I slowly pull the sheet off the face of the figure. "It's not him, it's not him," I keep repeating over and over like a mantra.

I open my eyes. My world goes black again.

But to wait for you, is all I can do and that's what I've got to face
Take a good look at me now, cos I'll still be standing here
And you coming back to me is against all odds
It's the chance I've gotta take

I hold him in my arms swaying back and forth wondering how I am going to get by without him. My only love taken from me. The doctor had told me that he was killed by an Avada Kedvra curse. I could not say that I was surprised. There were still a few ticked off Deatheaters roaming around free. I just hoped that they could catch the bastard that did this. My best guess was that it was Lucius Malfoy. His money and power had kept him free from a life in Azkaban. And now Harry is never going to see his child grow up. All because of one man's spite. All the profanities in the world cannot even begin to express the rage, the hurt, the anger I feel right now. I can feel a new batch of tears flowing down my cheeks. My only comfort now is that one day Harry and I will meet again.

Take a look at me now