Unofficial Portkey Archive

An Effective Abstraction by Muirnin
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

An Effective Abstraction

Muirnin

An Effective Abstraction

By Muirnin Cocan

Chapter 5 - Retaliation and Retribution

"And whose was the return address?" Harry asked.

"It was Tom Riddle - Little Hangleton"

At this pronouncement, Hermione gave a painful whimper that soon became uncontrollable wracking sobs. Petunia had stayed uncommonly and strangely silent in her sudden grief and Harry feared the worse for both of the women.

"Professor, you said there were four packages that were delivered..." said Harry leaving the last bit unsaid as he struggled to calm Hermione down. Dumbledore pulled out a small bottle and handed it to Harry to have Hermione drink.

"It's a calming draught, it should help her." Dumbledore said as he watched Harry administer the potion to his best friend. Her pitiful whimpering lessened and she became silent resting her head against Harry's shoulder. "Yes indeed there were two additional packages that had been delivered. One was to your own home at Privet Drive. The other was to a home in Ottery St. Catchpole - the Burrow."

A jolt of fear shot through his belly at the thought that something had happened to the Weasley's and their home. "Th-th-they're not…"

"No Harry, the Weasley's are all fine… Unfortunately for the currier, he was unable to find the Burrow and the package exploded in his lorry. The package that was delivered to your residence did explode, however it was less damage than would have occurred had the package actually detonated with in the house. I spoke with Arabella and she reported seeing the package left on your doorstep. All four packages blew-up at the same moment. There are some factions various muggle terrorist organizations that seem to be claiming responsibility, however we know this to be incorrect."

"Will we be able to go back to our house tonight?" Harry asked stoically.

"While there wasn't sufficient damage done to your home, there will need to be some repair work done before it will be habitable again. You three can go to Grimmauld…"

"NO!" Harry snapped, "I will never step foot in that place again. Fine, if we can't go back to Privet Drive than we will get three rooms at the Leaky Cauldron."

"It won't be safe for you Harry..." Professor Dumbledore started, but the glare from Harry's refusal shown evident that Harry made his decision.

"You received my order of Emancipation today, you know I can defend myself without conflict with the Ministry… I refuse to go to Grimmauld Place… especially in the emotional state that my aunt and Hermione are in… If necessary I will have us put up in a muggle hotel," he paused considering then said, "which actually would be a better idea given my aunt's current condition." He looked at his aunt who had a glazed and haunted look about her face. He turned and looked at Remus Lupin who had been up speaking with James, Lily and Sirius. "Moony, can you go book us a suite of rooms over at that hotel we passed not far from here. We are going to need it for about a week. You can have Banhabarlic give you the currency for it to pay in advance. We are also going to need some clothing and…" he shook his head as the reality of the situation started to set in on him as well. "Just get us what we will need. Once Hermione is able to, she can contact her relatives and I will contact the funeral director regarding Uncle Vernon and Dudley… Oh and I guess Aunt Marge as well."

"If you would like Harry I could see to the arrangements for you." Professor Dumbledore said respectfully.

Harry turned and glared at the Headmaster and said "No sir. This is my family that we are dealing with and you look less than muggle as the situation calls. I would prefer to have Moony handle this… at least then I will know where some of my family is buried."

A small gasp was heard from Lily in the portrait, "What do you mean Harry?"

"I mean mum, that I have no idea where your graves are located. Hell, I don't even know if there was enough left after the attack and if there are even graves at all. With all the people in the Wizarding world who had known both of you, I was told virtually nothing about you except by what I was told from Sirius and Remus; neither of them told me where you were buried either. Oh sure Snape would always go on about how Dad strutted around the castle… he would compare me to him, you know. Everyone kept secrets from me about anything of importance in my life.

"The fact that they did so was supposedly for my best interests to allow me to be 'normal'" he seethed. "However, Professor Dumbledore and Professor McGonagall never actually said much about either one of you to me… and THAT is not fair; that's not normal. Growing up, all I heard about either of you was that you were unemployed and a drunk. I even believed that my scar was the result of the car accident that killed you both." He sighed then said, "At least Hagrid told me the truth about who I was, how I got my scar, and about Voldemort killing you... at least he told me that you had been head boy and girl in your time. Nevertheless, none of them told me about where you were buried or any other details about your lives… it was as if you existed but not lived."

Harry spoke in quiet sombreness; his next words punctuated the graveness of the situation. "Uncle Vernon and Dudley were not very nice people to me, however, I want to make sure that their arrangements will be respectful and honourable. The same goes for Aunt Marge… at least I am guessing that all three of them were in the house when it exploded." He saw the Headmaster nod and then said, "Find out where I need to go to identify the bodies so that I may have them released to the mortuary. I think it would be better that I go rather than Aunt Petunia."

He pulled Hermione closer towards him, so she was sitting on his lap. He could feel her silent tears leaving wet tracks along his shirt. "It's going to be alright Hermione…" he laid his head against the top of hers and took a deep breath. "Do you have a problem with the arrangements I made for us?"

He felt her shake her head no. "We can call your Grandmother later today…" he whispered to her. He looked up at the portrait of his parents and Sirius. "We are going to need to have the portraits taken to Godric's Hollow… After the funerals, I am going to have Aunt Petunia come there with me. If the Weasley's will allow, I want Ron there as well." He looked down to where Hermione's head rested and added, "I'm not sure about anyone else at this time."

"Don't worry about it Buck, we will have the mansion ready for you when you arrive. The house-elves do marvellous work and they actually listen to us." James said.

"Yeah at least they won't lie and get someone killed…" Harry mumbled under his breath and then felt Hermione tense and he immediately apologized. "I'm sorry… I'm just angry and I am saying all the wrong things…"

"Not wrong… just bad timing" she paused, "And Harry, not everything you are saying is wrong." Hermione said her tone softening. "Thank you Harry for refusing to go to Grimmauld; I don't think I could have handled that situation."

"I know… neither could I." He could see the effects from the earlier potion taking affect from the depths of her chocolate brown eyes. "Is there anything you need Remus to do for you while he is out seeing to our accommodations?" Harry asked softly. She shook her head no; he gave a silent nod to Remus who immediately left to see about the arrangements.

"I'll need to go and identify my parents bodies and then have them released to the funeral home… I have my address book in my bag so I have everyone's telephone numbers. I just do not know how I am going to tell Nana… She doesn't even know about my being a witch." she paused, "I can't imagine how I am going to explain this…" she sighed, then seeing Petunia sitting stone-faced and unmoving she asked, "How's your aunt doing?"

"She hasn't said a word yet, but she has a grip on my hand that puts yours to shame." A small smile tugged at the edge of his lips as he told Hermione this. "Are you going to be able to walk or do I need to carry you?"

"I can walk" she blushed, "but don't stray too far from me, I don't want to be alone." Hermione said reddening further as she realized for the first time where she had ended up and hurriedly muttered "Sorry..." as she got up from his lap; Harry grinned.

"No worries, here can you take this." Harry handed her the sheaf of parchments to place in her bag; standing up he willed his aunt to respond to his request. She stood up still clutching his hand tightly; as she looked at his face tears welled up in her eyes and Harry willingly wrapped his arms around her and hugged her tightly. Her slight body, wracked with sobbing, as she held onto her nephew.

Hermione calmly rubbed Petunia's back to comfort her as well. By the time, that Remus had returned Petunia was sufficiently calm down.

Remus handed Harry a set of keys, "When I spoke to Banhabarlic she informed me of an apartment building that was included in the properties you inherited here in London. Professor Dumbledore has allowed Dobby to assist you and he will see to all of your needs. By the time you arrive, the place should be sufficiently stocked with food, clothing" he looked at Hermione and gave a partial grin, "and any books and study materials you will require. You should be relatively comfortable; much higher quality than the Leaky Cauldron." Harry saw glimmer of amusement upon the face of his former teacher.

"Thanks Moony" said Harry as he looked at the address of the flat, "I guess I am going to need to go over all of the paperwork that I got today just to find out what else I need to know."

"That would probably be a good thing to do, from what I understand there is a number of matters that you will need to handle." Remus looked at Harry with an unspoken desire to speak with him privately. Harry nodded and left Petunia in Hermione's gentle care.

They walked over towards where the painting still stood behind the marble desk and Remus cast a silence shell around them both and the portrait.

"A bit extreme isn't that Moony?" James said.

"I needed to pass on to Harry information we acquired from the investigation around the murders." Remus said.

"Why couldn't you say this in front of them?" Harry asked concernedly.

Remus handed a slip of parchment to Harry, "I'm not sure how much you know about Muggle Law Enforcement Harry, but we have squibs as well as trained Auror's who work and live within the Muggle world. As you know, the Prime Minister, as well as a select few government officials, is aware of the Wizarding World. We do have some Auror's whose only job is to work within Scotland Yard and establish secrecy of our existence to the Muggles."

"I figured that much out when they were searching for Sirius... what does that have to do with this." Harry bemused.

"When they began to get the information regarding Tom Riddle, all that the constabulary was able to figure out was that he had died along with his elderly parents about 50 years ago. They also found out that their deaths were considered suspicious and at one time held a man for the murders, but had to release him when they could show no sign of how the murders were committed."

"Frank Bryce never killed them!" Harry said aggressively, causing Remus to look surprised. "Voldemort killed his father and grandparents, that was his father's death not his..." Harry puzzled, "I don't understand why Voldemort and his Death Eaters would go to muggle means to kill my family or Hermione's... It just doesn't' make sense."

"Our intelligence within Voldemort's organization" Remus started to say.

"Snape you mean..." Harry said briskly

A raised eyebrow was all the reaction Remus gave at this, "Found out that Voldemort wanted to kill those closest to you and also wanted to have retribution for the loss of so many of his followers after the incident at the Ministry."

"But his followers don't know that he's a half blood... so they wouldn't know who Tom Riddle actually was..." argued Harry.

"From what our intelligence..."

"Oh just say Snape... Great Merlin's Ghost! All this secrecy around him is full of shit!" Harry shouted.

"Harry language!" Lily's voice snapped resulting in "Sorry Mum...." murmured Harry.

"Not all intelligence we receive about Voldemort is from Severus, Harry." responded Remus "As I was saying... from what you told us after the incident at the Cemetery in Little Hangleton, you were standing upon the grave of Tom Riddle..."

"Bound to it more like... but go ahead" Harry added irritably.

"That detail was not missed by some of the Death Eaters... and was relayed in part to some of their families about the bounding to Tom Riddle's gravestone.... They of course overlooked the part where you had defeated Voldemort again..." Remus said.

"More like barely survived..." Harry distinguished.

"These interjections of yours are not helping you get this information Harry." James reprimanded.

"Sorry Dad, but if we're going to be accurate about details... let's get them right!" Harry said sharply.

"He's got a point Prongs..." Sirius added with a slight smirk, which rewarded him with a verbal "Shut it Padfoot!" from James, Lily and Remus.

"Now as I was saying before I was so rudely interrupted... We found out that someone within Voldemort's operation told certain details to members of his family... These members decided to take matters into their own hands and dispose of your families because they wanted to get you back as it were for getting their father's sent to Azkaban..."

"You mean Malfoy."

"We don't know the specifics, but we do know from the investigation from Scotland Yard that the young men were a bit anxious that the packages all arrive at the same time... They explained to the clerk at the currier they were gifts for the families... saying that they were part of the party preparations or some such nonsense."

"But how did they find out where I lived... I thought Dumbledore kept that information quiet... I didn't think any of the Slytherins knew about the Dursley's."

"Remember the notification you received regarding today's events." Harry nodded as Remus continued handing Harry his "As you can see it shows nothing about who was to be here for your Potter deposition but it does have in detail who was to be here for the Black Estate..."

Harry glanced down at the list in question and saw that rather than alphabetises as his was, directly under Harry's name was 'Petunia Dursley'. No mention of her being Harry's legal guardian, but the name Dursley stood out like a beacon to him.

"So because they saw the name Dursley; they automatically assumed that she had some connection to me and..."

"Found two listings one for a Vernon Dursley and one for a M. Dursley. They had no way of knowing which address connected back to you so they targeted them both... As for the Grangers, they knew that Hermione was going to be at the reading of the Will and given the time they found the Granger's Dental practice." Remus explained.

"But that doesn't explain why they chose Tom Riddle's name nor why they used muggle means to kill."

"Think about it Harry... If you wanted to pass a message on to a specific person you would want use something that would have significant memory for you. Now, just suppose if you could use that information, but you could not do magic what would you do?" Lily asked having gathered some conclusions of her own.

"I would figure out the best method to use whatever was available in the Muggle world..." Harry realized and sighed deeply. "But why send me a message… that makes no sense and then why go to all the trouble of muggle bombs in the first place."

"I can only assume that it was more a point to hurt you in some way. I do not have all the answer's Harry. The young men were the ones responsible for sending off the packages; that they were acting on behalf for someone else. They had specifically told the clerk they needed to send off these packages for a friend of theirs who is throwing a party; and as I said before these were described as gifts to the families."

Harry looked down at the intelligence report again and saw the descriptions of the two young men who had gone to the currier. He shook his head in disbelief. The details listed were identical to Vincent Crabbe and Gregory Goyle. Harry thought about this and realized, both Crabbe and Malfoy's fathers were present at the Department of Mysteries attack. "I'm going to kill them..."

"Now Harry, you don't want to do anything rash. I know you recognize the descriptions, but honestly Harry," Remus said, "killing Crabbe and Goyle is not going to bring back those that were killed... I do believe that Professor Dumbledore may use whatever powers he has as their Headmaster to see that they are punished."

"He's not going to expel them... I can tell you that... I don't see how getting detentions and writing lines is going to do anything to punish either of them... and what of Malfoy? He is as guilty as the two of them... He's the ONLY way they would have seen this list of names." Harry said stoically.

"All I know is that he has turned over what evidence he has received to Madam Bones and she is using her connections within Scotland Yard... It is very possible that at least Crabbe and Goyle could end up in a muggle prison for their involvement... if they tell about Malfoy, then it could be all three."

"Or in case the secrecy for the wizarding world is in jeopardy they will just hush the whole thing up..." Harry added.

"That is a valid point... but at any rate, being who you are with in the Wizarding world, I do not foresee Madam Bones not at least doing something in the form of punishment against them." Sirius added, "Harry you know as well as I do that no matter what the Wizarding World was lead to believe last year times have changed... you are once again 'The Boy Who Lived'. No matter how much you detest the attention... It could help the situation greatly."

"Harry promise me that you won't do anything against these boys." Lily pleaded. "Its one thing for you to be ABLE to use magic outside school now, but please, don't..."

"I won't mum... I had already decided that the only time I use magic outside school is for training. I will need to learn to apparate as well."

"All in good time Buck... Once you and Petunia get to Calon Carreg, you will find all you need to be able to train... and train you will. I for one want you to always be 'The Boy Who Lived' for a very long time." James said proudly.

"I'm not immortal Dad... no matter how close to death I have come... I can still be killed." Harry said gravely.

"Not if I have anything to say about it..." Sirius added. "I know that Prongs and I joke about whose son you are..." he smirked, "But you truly are the son I never had, I'm proud of you... I know you will defeat Voldemort once and for all... and he will NOT be coming back the next time."

"There's times I honestly wish I had not stopped you and Moony from killing Wormtail."

"I'm glad you did..." James stated, "Buck you were right, I wouldn't want my best friends to become murderers. I understand your destiny son... however, killing Voldemort will not make you a murderer."

"Well what do you call it when I am told I have to kill Voldemort."

"Justice." Lily said with conviction. "Sweetheart, there are some who believe that capitol punishment is wrong... there are others who see it as a biblical truth... an eye for an eye and all that. You will be trained to eradicate an evil that has destroyed more lives than any other Dark Lord has. Fear is how the Dark Lord fights... he wants the Wizarding world to fear him, I believe that what you felt when your scar started hurting earlier was his joy at seeing how more feared him, by finding ways to destroy you..."

"Darling have you been listening in to the Headmaster's office?" James asked his wife.

She smirked "Maybe..." she responded sweetly.

"I just can't believe that anyone with the mental capacity of Crabbe and Goyle could have constructed 4 package bombs in less then 12 hours. It doesn't seem possible." He looked over to where Hermione and Petunia were sitting, both quietly sipping cups of tea that had been brought to them. "Listen we will discuss this later, I think it's best that I get them back so they can rest."

"How are you holding up?"

"Actually, I feel a lot stronger emotionally than I thought I would. You didn't see me after Sirius was killed, I sort of walked around in a fog and didn't speak to anyone."

"That was the shock from my death and from Albus' stupidity..." Sirius growled.

"I think that being able to talk to you again... that has helped me. I am still not thrilled about the Prophecy, but at least I know what is waiting for me. There is still a part of me that is quite angry with the Headmaster, but it is more resentful at his excluding the secrets he has always known about me... I do not like secrets... I understand when they are in my best interest, but his keeping the knowledge of the prophecy away from me for so long hurts. He also had prior knowledge about Voldemort being able to get inside my head... Dumbledore could have started training me for Occlumency years ago and saved me years of pain and anguish... but he did not. Instead, he has allowed me to end up nearly killing my best friends time after time..." ranted Harry, "I've had enough of his deceptions... I am going to take my life into my own hands for once and learn everything I can to survive, but it will not be with his help. I don't want Dumbledore to take any credit for anything I do from now on..."

"Understandable Harry... Now, we will continue this when you get to the Mansion. Remus, take the silencing off so I can say good bye to my sister please." Lily said.

Hermione looked at Harry and Remus as they began to make their way back. She gave a questioning look to Harry as to what was involved in the 'private' conversation, but a single look from Harry was all it took to let her know that he would inform her... later.

Harry watched as their was a quiet conversation between Lily and Petunia, even James and Sirius had moved over to the other side of the frame and were in deep conversation with each other not causing a disturbance to the two Evans women.

He handed Hermione the slip of paper with the address upon it, "Do you know how to get there or would you rather Remus drive us over."

"I know where this is... Mum used to take me shopping at Harrods and that is close by to this..." she said as her eyes saddened even more, "We should get going... I'm not sure how much is already known to the Wizarding world, but I don't think I could take anyone staring at me right now."

"Undoubtedly, from what Remus said, there isn't much that has been publicized yet to our world." Harry said, "but I do know that I will feel a whole lot better once we get to where we are staying...."

"So will I, I am so tired right now Harry... I never knew so much emotion could wear a person down." Hermione said with tired eyes.

"Why don't we let Remus drive us to the flat, that way you can rest a bit." Harry said noting her exhaustion. "By the way, I wanted to apologize for just presuming that you would rather not go back to your house... You still can you know..."

"I am grateful that you presumed so much... I would rather not be back there just yet. Too many memories, I would not be able to concentrate on what I need to for my parent's funerals. Afterwards, I can take the time to go back... but not now." She explained, "Come on, let's get out of here. It looks like Professor Lupin is going to help your aunt to the car."

Harry saw as Petunia had taken Remus' arm and was slowly walking towards them. Harry nodded at them both and said a quick good bye to the portrait and he led the way, determined to get them to the car as quickly as possible.

As they began to immerge into the bright summer sunlight, Harry could hear recognizable voices close ahead. He glanced over his shoulder and saw that Hermione, Remus and Petunia were not far behind him. Looking over to where he had heard the voices of Draco Malfoy, Vincent Crabbe and Gregory Goyle.

"Great work Goyle... you really learned a lot from your father about muggle bomb making..."

"He is great at it, likes to keep his hands into all areas of Muggles just to learn how to bait them and hurt them for when the Dark Lord needs him." Goyle said.

"I can't imagine anyone liking Muggle Studies." Crabbe said.

"You need to know your enemy... even if you don't like them... Not like that Muggle-lover blood traitor Weasley... He gives all purebloods a bad name. It's too bad that the mudblood wasn't with her parents at their office, but there was quite a few muggles there at the time so I guess it wasn't too bad." Malfoy said with a sneer.

"I just wonder if we were able to get any of Potter's family..." Goyle said

"Right before you arrived, I saw Dumbledore hurry inside and then he left again not shortly after the werewolf... I am sure he told them..." Malfoy sneered as he added, "I can't wait to see the mudbloods face after hearing her parents are dead!"

Harry could feel the presence of the three behind him and realized that they had overheard the junior death eaters' conversation. The look on Hermione's face showed the combination of anger, shock and resentment. However, what surprised him the most was his Aunt Petunia.

Her face was a mask of pure fury....

At that moment, Draco Malfoy and his pair of goons noticed the group coming towards them as they left the bank. Malfoy sneered viciously as he looked at Hermione.

"Ah if it isn't the MUDBLOOD... off to go plan your parent's funeral are you? No doubt, Potter can help you out although he has no memory of THEIR funeral... Too bad you weren't with your parents when they met their end... I would have loved to see your mudblood arse splattered all over the..." Suddenly a zipper appeared upon Malfoy's mouth, sealing it shut and not allowing him to speak anymore.

"Hermione!" Harry said assuming she had done the magic involved.

"It wasn't me Harry..." Hermione said pleadingly. "But who?"

A resounding gasp drew their attention as they turned to look at Petunia whose eyes had gone wild and had clasped a hand over her mouth.

"Aunt Petunia?"

Disclaimer: I do not now, nor have I at any time own any of the Harry Potter characters. This is an original plot, based on characters created by J K Rowling. In no way is any money being made, nor copyright or trademark infringement intended. J K Rowling owns all rights as well as various publishers including but not limited to Bloomsbury Books, Scholastic Books and Raincoast Books, with additional rights belonging to Warner Bros., Inc. Some parts may be of an adult nature that may not be suitable for all readers. Reader discretion is strongly advised.

A/N: As the Queen Mother of the Royal Family of Cliffies, I have found myself not doing my job properly if I had NOT left you with even the slightest hint of a cliffhanger… Now, before anyone asks… I do take some of my ideas from quotes that J. K. Rowling has said in past interviews. To paraphrase in an early interview she said that someone would show signs of magic late in life…That said, you understand the implications as to where THAT little piece of trivia can lead…If this chapter has NOT answered all of your questions and concerns, please let me know…

I apologize for not responding to some of your reviews… I felt that it would be unnecessary after this chapter was written…I will still be responding to reviews, but it will take a bit of time. I also have an excuse; I spent an entire day in hospital dealing with some issues that have affected my health lately. I will not go into details as to why I went, but just understand that I am still concerned, as my health issues had not been handled at all...

Thanks for taking the time to read this story, and I hope that you will take a few moments to feed my review addiction…it is healthier than drugs and does not cost you a dime. Take care and have a good week!

Peace - As Always,

Muirnin - who firmly believes "An imaginative mind is a terrible thing to waste..." @}>---'---,---