Unofficial Portkey Archive

Unconditional Love by diggingupophelia
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Unconditional Love

diggingupophelia

A/N: This is my response to the 30minutefic Challenge on Live Journal, Challenge #62 Broken Wands. I have other responses to this drabble on my live journal.

You can read more of my stories at:

www.livejournal.com/community/annettefanfic

You can get updates of my WIPs, posted both here and other sites at:

www.sapphiretragedy.livejournal.com

I know this is short but this is it. I may expand it, I may not. It depends on my Muse and your response to it.

UNCONDITIONAL LOVE

Draco's attentions were taken away from his paperwork and focused on his daughter when he heard the signal for trouble.

"Daddy! Look," called the four year old in an excited voice.

That was never a good sign. Those two words meant certain doom, well not doom, but it was never good. Draco remembered the last time he heard that phrase. He had found his best, and most expensive, leather shoes covered in silver ink.

"What is it, Darling?" he asked, trying to mask the fear in his voice.

"I have one now too, Daddy, just like yours."

"Have what, Love?" he asked, not seeing anything that resembled anything he owned in his daughter's possession. He was quite relieved, all she had in her hands was a broken twig.

"A wand, just like yours. I can do magic now."

"That is sweet. Daddy will just get his wand and then we can do magic together," he said as he silently breathed a sigh of relief. "For once, nothing bad has happened when it was my turn to watch her," he muttered to himself as he searched for his wand. "It was here a minute ago. I used it to light the fire and charm the quill to make copies of those forms."

"Daddy, hurry up, I am getting bored," called the impatient child. "Mummy said if I was really bored I should call Uncle Harry or Uncle Ron to come and take me flying so you could work."

<I> Just what I need. Those two telling Ginny what an awful father I am because I can't entertain a bloody four year old! Why in Merlin's name did I agree to let her go back to work after Charlotte was born? Oh yes, now I remember, she threatened to hex my bits off.</I>

"Now, Charlotte, Daddy will be right there. And you don't need to call your uncles to go flying. I can take you."

"But Uncle Ron and Uncle Harry are on the Quick-itch teams and they fly better than you do."

"That is Quidditch, Love, and Daddy is a much better flyer than either of those two."

"I want to play magic with the wands."

"I can't find my wand. I am looking for it." Draco paused and studied his daughter. She was fidgeting the way she did when she knew she had done something she wasn't supposed to. "Do you know where Daddy's wand is?"

"Here," she said holding out the object he had mistaken for a broken twig.

"Love, what did you do?" he asked as he took the object from her. It was definitely his wand, alright. Well three quarters of it at any rate.

"I broke it in two. You said it was always good to share. So I shared it with you, Daddy," she explained as she smiled brightly at him.

"Charlotte!" he yelled. "Do you know how dangerous that was? You could have been hit by a spell or sparks or..or…" Draco was beginning to lose his composure.

"But Uncle Fred and Uncle George told me that it was ok to share your wand. But only your wand. They said you would be happy to share your wand with me," she said as her bottom lip began to quiver.

<I> Bloody hell, here come the water works. I hate when she cries. I am no good with crying women! </I>

"Love, Daddy isn't really angry with you. I am just upset because you could have gotten hurt."

"But you yelled at me. And Uncle Fred and George said that when you yell it means you don't love me anymore."

"Let me let you in on a little secret, love, your Uncles Fred and George are dunderheads!"

"Mummy won't like that you called them that."

"I don't like that they told you to break my wand. A wizard or witch's wand is very important, Charlotte, it is part of who they are. A wand is a very special thing and it doesn't work when you …erm…try to share it with others by breaking it. And I will always love you, even if I yell."

"Good. I have a secret to tell you."

"What is it?"

"Promise you'll still love me?"

"You broke my wand, the most important thing I have that is not a person, and I still love you, so you can tell me and I will still love you."

"I already called Uncle Ron and Uncle Harry and they said they are going to take me flying. They said they would Apparate soon."

Just as she finished saying that Ron and Harry popped into the living room. Draco decided to nip this situation in the bud. "Charlotte and I were just leaving. I have to make a trip to Diagon Alley."

"Did Charlotte `share' your wand with you, too?" asked Ron.

"How did you…?"

"Fred and George bought stock in Ollivander's, they've been using her to generate business. They've sent her around to almost everyone. The only two who haven't lost wands are Harry and Ginny."

"I am going to kill them!"

"Well, you do that and we'll take Charlotte flying. She doesn't need to see all that mess," said Harry as he reached for Charlotte.

"No, she is coming with me. I think Fred and George need a lesson in sharing. And I can take my own daughter flying, Harry."


-->