Unofficial Portkey Archive

Ice Dance by Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Ice Dance

Heaven

A/N: Well hello everyone! Long time no see, I know, I know, I've been very bad, but I do have a reason.

Good news: I wrote most of the C/B smutty story while on vacation, along with Nappa's story and I FINALLY got started on the new chapter of Shadows that has been FAR too long in coming!

Bad News: All those files are on my laptop hard drive, which has crashed. :( Although this weekend I'm heading to a friend's house who just might be able to fix it… more or less retrieve my data that is hanging somewhere on the drive.

In any case, I wanted to write this ficlet up for a long time now and finally I did because all my other files are on the laptop. So everyone knows now, I'm not dead, I still do write, it's just long in coming ;)

To enhance your reading of this fic, I would suggest getting the track called 'Ice Dance' from the Edward Scissorhands soundtrack. It's not a big file; it's about 1:44 to be exact. It was my inspiration for writing this. People who belong to my Yahoo group can find this file in the 'Everything Else' folder there.

Special thanks to: Hallie, Blazefury, Ryoko Blue and James

Ice Dance

Harry closed his eyes as Ron's accusation flew out of his mouth. He had hoped to stop this before it started but as usual, Ron couldn't keep himself quiet. He wasn't sure how the two of them had dated, even if it was for only a day.

"How dare you!!!" Hermione Granger screamed at Ron Weasley. Everyone in the Gryffindor Common Room stopped and stared. Hermione was reputable for keeping her cool in confrontations; it was shocking to see her in such an uncontrolled rage. "THIS is why we never worked! You're too bloody possessive when I wasn't even your girlfriend for a DAY!!!"

Ron looked stunned for a moment, and then glared at her. "Somehow I don't believe you." He turned to look at Harry, who was trying to work on his Potions assignment and ignore yet another outburst between his best friend and the girl he loved. Seeing no response from him, Ron turned back to Hermione, his face flushed and eyes flashing with anger. "So if you weren't cheating on me then what were you doing ALONE in the corridor with MacMillan and Finch Fletchley!!"!

"Helping them with Herbology!!!" Hermione nearly shrieked, her face gone red in her anger. "Honestly, do you really think the whole sodding world revolves around you?" Harry looked up as Hermione advanced on Ron, sooner or later he'd probably have to hold the two of them apart. "This so called TENSION between us is nothing more than your large head overreacting day in and day out!!"

Ron stared at her wordlessly as his mouth opened and closed furiously, his face turning redder than his hair. "Rita Skeeter was right…" he hissed. "You ARE a scarlet woman!"

Harry saw what was going to happen a split second before it did. Hermione marched up to Ron and slapped him across the face, much like she had done to Draco Malfoy in their third year. Without another word, she spun around and stormed from the common room with as much dignity as she could muster. Harry stared after her as Ron sat down across from him.

"Well that was completely uncalled for!" he rubbed his cheek. "Slapping me like that!"

"You deserved it." Harry replied quietly.

"What?" Ron stared at him, his hand frozen.

"You deserved that!" Harry repeated, this time in a louder voice. "You know that she's been helping Ernie and Justin, and they need to work someplace quiet to concentrate."

"Well…" Ron looked flabbergasted that Harry wasn't siding with him. "Her skirt was hiked up, and they were sitting entirely too close to be appropriate!"

"Well it's really not your business, is it Ron?" Harry was having a hard time keeping his temper down now. "You know she hates it when either one of us gets possessive over her!"

"Oh but you don't, do you Harry?" Ron was getting worked up again. "Perfect Harry Potter shows me up again!"

"Sod off Ron!" Harry pushed his homework away disgustedly. "And get over yourself while you're at it!" he stomped off in the direction of the dormitories. He grabbed his cloak, trying to steady his shaking hands. Ron made him so angry sometimes, with his way of jumping to conclusions and accusations. Harry ignored the looks of everyone as he rushed back through the common room and out the portrait door.

"Where did she go?" He muttered to himself. He passed by several classrooms, and then he checked the library thoroughly. Surprised that Hermione wasn't buried in a corner with a stack of books, he resumed his search, ducking into alcoves whenever Peeves or Filch would come by.

He was about to return to the Common Room, thinking perhaps she had ducked back in when he passed by a window overlooking the lake. It had started snowing, and he paused a moment to watch. The flakes were large, white, and falling softly over the grounds. Harry felt a tug in his stomach as he realised this was probably a sight he wouldn't get to see much more of, soon enough he would be leaving Hogwarts forever.

He was about to turn away when a movement caught his eye. Hermione's petite form was huddled near a large rock at the side of the lake. Cursing himself for not looking outside sooner, Harry rushed downstairs and through the castle doors.

*** *** ***

Hermione wiped at her eyes as she pushed through the doors leading outside. She was angry with Ron, and angry with herself for making such a scene. Hugging herself tightly, she shivered from the cold winter air blowing across the grounds. Hermione wished she had thought to bring her cloak but she had run out so fast that it hadn't even occurred to her.

She sat on a large rock and impatiently dabbed at the tears that kept coming. It wasn't really Ron that had upset her, it was more that he had said those things while Harry was sitting right there. Harry, listening to all of Ron's accusations, possibly even believing them…that thought was almost too much for Hermione to bear. No one, absolutely no one, knew of her feelings for her black haired, green-eyed best friend. She took a deep breath and forced herself to calm down.

Hermione pushed her hair off her forehead and felt something wet. Looking up, she realized it had started snowing. The large white flakes fell gently around her, settling in her bushy brown locks. She caught a few flakes on her fingertips, bringing them up to her mouth. The snow tasted cold and sweet, and before Hermione realised it, she was on her feet, twirling around, her arms outstretched, her hands catching snow.

Harry was about to call out to Hermione when she got up. He thought for a moment that she had seen him coming, but no, she was spinning around, the snow fluttering to the ground around her. His jaw dropped as he watched silently; her hair fanning out behind her, eyes closed as the flakes fell softly on her face. Harry was quite sure he'd never seen anything so beautiful.

He felt like he was under a spell, his feet taking him closer to where Hermione still twirled around. Harry was about three feet away from her when she suddenly stopped, opening her eyes and staring straight at him. Their gazes met and held for a long moment.

"What are you doing here?" Hermione asked, finally able to recover her voice.

"I uh…" Harry was at a loss for words, he was reliving what he had just seen in his mind. "Well Ron um…"

"If you've come down here to defend him I don't want to hear it." Hermione said flatly. She turned away, crossing her arms over her chest, trying to fight the stinging tears that wanted to spill from her eyes once more.

"No!" Harry burst out. "Hermione, I don't want to defend him." He came up quickly behind her and placed his hand on her shoulder. "It wasn't right of Ron to say those things to you."

Hermione sniffed as she turned to look at him. "You really think so?" she asked softly.

"Of course I do." Harry replied, stepping closer to her. "I always believe you." His hand reached forward and took hers. "You believed me when no one else would."

Hermione managed a small trembling smile, she wasn't sure if her suddenly weak knees were from having Harry so close to her or the fact that he believed her and not Ron. "Thanks Harry." She whispered, reaching forward to hug him tightly. She felt his arms wrap around her, and her head fit snugly under his chin. Hermione closed her eyes and wished as hard as she could that this moment would never end.

Harry loved the way she set herself so easily in his embrace, he felt like they fit together perfectly. They stayed together as the snow rushed madly around them. "Hey Hermione?" he heard himself say.

"Hmm?" she pulled her head away from his chest and looked up at him, the snowflakes catching in her eyelashes.

"I uh…" Harry swallowed; the lump in his throat was so large he couldn't speak over it. Their eyes met and held; they both suddenly found their faces were nearing one another's. Harry could feel her breath on his face as his heart thumped madly against his ribcage.

Hermione couldn't tear her gaze away from Harry's; her knees felt like they were beginning to buckle again. They paused a scant millimetre before their mouths met, as if asking the other if it was okay.

Harry closed his eyes as his lips hesitantly brushed against Hermione's. Her lips were soft, asking for more. He pulled her closer as he pressed his mouth harder against hers; Hermione let out a little sigh. Harry cupped her cheek with one hand, his thumb brushing across her cheek.

'He's kissing me!' Hermione's mind screamed madly. They pulled away, sucking in air as they both stared at one another.

Harry couldn't move as his eyes searched her face. Hermione felt her lips curve out in a smile, and that was all he needed. Harry pulled her back into his arms and covered her mouth with his. This kiss wasn't tentative like the first; it was a full-blown out snog.

Hermione stood on her toes as her lips parted under Harry's. His tongue swept over her lips and began a mad tango with hers, going increasingly passionate. Hermione was warm despite the cold air blowing through her robes and school uniform. She slid her arms up his chest and cupped his face in her hands, holding him tightly.

"I think I love you, Hermione." Harry breathed as they pulled apart some time later.

"I love you Harry." Hermione said, her eyes closed as she rested her head on his chest again.

Harry noticed she was shivering now, as the air was steadily growing colder. "Come on." He pulled his cloak off and settled it over her shoulders, then took her hand and pulled her close. "Let's get back in the castle."

"Okay." Hermione replied, leaning against him. They were at the doors when Harry stopped.

"I meant what I said back there." He said softly, touching his finger to her cheek, brushing off a snowflake.

"Me too." Hermione replied, her voice just above a whisper. She covered his hand with hers and brought his fingers to her lips.

Harry grinned and leaned forward, pressing his mouth on hers for a quick, hard kiss.

It didn't matter anymore what Ron said to her. They knew that there could be hell to pay with their fiery tempered best friend when they returned but neither Harry or Hermione could care.

Harry knew he'd love snow from that moment on.

Please don't forget to leave me a review! Thanks! :)