Unofficial Portkey Archive

A Moment by diggingupophelia
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A Moment

diggingupophelia

A/N: Hello, *ducks for safety*, I know I haven't updated `Just the Four of Us', but I haven't had any good ideas for it lately. I am going to make an effort to work on it over Spring Break. Sorry about that. In the mean time I have written this. If you want to see what I have been doing, since JTFoU isn't getting done, check out my LJ www.livejournal.com/community/annettefanfic. I always appreciate feed back on my work. And I haven't done a song fic before in H/Hr, so let me know how I did.

Hanging by a Moment - Lifehouse

Desperate for changing,

Starving for truth,

I'm closer to where I started,

Chasing after you,

Harry stood outside of Hermione's apartment. She was in there on another date that was doomed to failure. He just wished he had the courage to admit that he loved her, well to her. He had admitted that to himself, but telling her was another matter.

He had told her once that he loved her and they started to date. Then the fall out came. He and Hermione had gotten into a huge argument about her role in the final battle. He decided that she should stay at the castle and she was determined to fight at his side. She broke up with him over that fight. She wasn't about to be with anyone who tried to tell her what to do. Eventually they made up, but he'd lost his right to love her, `that way', well, in his opinion, at any rate.

Now here he was, waiting for her like he always had. He was tired of her dating other men when he loved her. But then again, he refused to tell her how he felt, so he couldn't complain. He raised his hand to knock on the door, but stopped short. His courage was gone.

"Come on Harry. You defeated Voldemort, you can talk to Hermione," he urged himself.

He knocked at the door. He had to know if they could love each other again. He had to know if Hermione was just afraid to admit her feelings to him.

Her date answered the door. "Can I help you?"

"Hello. I'm here to see Hermione," Harry said.

"She's busy, if you get my meaning. Be a chap and bugger off," he said as he started slam the door in Harry's face.

That didn't go over all to well with Harry. He reached his hand out. He wasn't sure if this guy was Muggle or not, so he kept his wand in his jacket. "Look, I don't know who you are, but you go and tell Hermione that Harry is here to see her. Now," he demanded.

I'm falling even more in love with you,

Letting go of all I've held onto,

I'm standing here until you make me move,

I'm hanging by a moment here with you,

Harry stood on the porch while What's-His-Name went to get Hermione. He didn't have to wait long.

"Is something wrong, Harry?" she asked in a concerned tone.

"Nothing urgent, well not life threatening anyway," he answered not even looking up at her.

"Well, you came all the way here. If you had the gall to interrupt my date, it had better be …" she began to yell.

"I still love you. I've always loved you."

Hermione was speechless.

"Well, she is on a date with me," yelled What's-His-Name.

Hermione ignored him and just looked at Harry he could see tears starting to form in her eyes. "Hermione, I am willing to give it all up, everything I have for a chance with you. If it doesn't work, you can even take away the friendship. I don't care. I need you. I love you."

Hermione stood silent and just looked at him. For the first time in the ten years they had know each other, Harry couldn't read her. "I am going to stand here all night. I am going to stand here until you say you will give us a chance."

"Harry, I …" she began.

Harry interrupted. " My entire life hinges on this moment. I have never wanted anything more than this."

Forgetting all I'm lacking,

Completely incomplete,

I'll take your invitation,

You take all of me,

"Harry, I understand what you're saying. Really I do. But last time nearly ruined everything we ever had."

"I know Hermione. But I am a different person. All those things are gone, those fears. I … when I'm around you, I am not broken any more. Don't you see that?" Harry said, his voice quivering.

"I won't be able to forgive you if you make the same mistakes. I can't do it again," she said, holding back tears.

"I wouldn't dream of asking you to. Just say that you'll have me back. Just say the words Hermione … and I am yours," he said stepping close to her and brushing a tear from her cheek with his finger.

Now I'm falling even more in love with you,

Letting go of all I've held onto,

I'm standing here until you make me move,

I'm hanging by a moment here with you,

Hermione looked at the man standing before her, wiping the tear from her cheek. This was not the same Harry Potter who had nearly driven her to the point of madness with his fear and orders. This man had changed and was in need of love. Her love.

She could give him what he was asking for. She wanted to give him what he was asking for. She had been trying to find someone else to replace him since she graduated. There had been an endless string of boyfriends, but none of them were Harry.

She realized as he gazed into her eyes that this moment was it. If she didn't do something he would walk away, and it would be over. Everything they had would be lost.

I'm living for the only thing I know,

I'm running and not quite sure where to go,

And I don't know what I'm diving into,

Just hanging by a moment here with you,

"Hermione, please say something," whispered Harry. He sat down on the step and pulled Hermione down next to him.

"I don't know what to say, really. I know what I want to do, but I just don't know that what I want to do is the right thing."

"I have never known you to make a bad decision. You'll do what's right," he reassured her.

"I hate not knowing what I am getting myself into. This is not the type of thing I can go and look up in a book," she said.

"Sometimes, we just have to jump in and take the chance. The bigger the risk the greater the return," he said seriously. "But, if you still aren't sure, I can go and dig up my crystal ball. My Divination's a bit rusty, but I can make up something suitable to my needs," he said in an attempt to lighten the mood.

Hermione laughed. "It's a wooly discipline. And I've already made up my mind, no need to Apparated back to your flat," she said.

There was silence.

"So are you going to tell me what your answer is?"

There's nothing else to lose,

There's nothing else to find,

There's nothing in the world,

That can change my mind,

Hermione leaned forward and kissed Harry on the lips. She tried to make up for all the kisses they lost in that one moment. Soon they were jointed in a tangle of hands and tongues and legs.

Harry broke the kiss. "Does this mean a new beginning or the end?"

"There is nothing else to lose Harry. I've spent these past three years trying to find you in someone else. But there isn't anyone else like you," she said in a whisper as her hand ran through his hair. "I've never been so sure about anything in my life."

There is nothing else,

There is nothing else,

There is nothing else,

Harry and Hermione were interrupted by the sound of What's-His-Name clearing his throat.

"Oh, Trevor. Sorry, but this just isn't working. I had a nice night though."

"So he comes over and sweet talks you and you kick me out, just like that?" he yelled as he put his hands on his hips.

"Yes," said Hermione matter-of-factly.

Trevor disappeared into the house and returned with his coat and a bottle of wine. He thrust the wine in Hermione's hands. "Enjoy this with him."

He then turned to Harry, "Enjoy it while it lasts. Next week, some one else will coax her out on the front porch," he advised.

"Not him, Trevor. He's what I've been looking for."

Desperate for changing,

Starving for truth,

I'm closer to where I started,

Chasing after you,

Hermione grabbed Harry by the hand and led him into her flat. "Tell me, why did you come here tonight?"

"Because I was sitting alone, in my flat, with take away curry, and thoughts of you," he said as he placed his hand on the small of her back and pulled her closer to him. "I couldn't take another moment with out you in my life."

"I am glad you came," she said as she pulled away from him. He took a step after her.

"Where do you think you're going?"

She shrugged her shoulders and made her way towards the bedroom. Harry followed her.

I'm falling even more in love with you,

Letting go of all I've held onto,

I'm standing here until you make me move,

I'm hanging by a moment here with you,

Harry and Hermione lay wrapped in each other's arms, enjoying the afterglow.

"I didn't think I could love you any more than I did, but you've just proven me wrong," admitted Hermione.

"Do my ears deceive me?" asked Harry in a sarcastic tone. "Did the know-it-all just make a mistake?"

"I suppose we all have our moments."

"This is the best moment of my life. And I hope you don't mind my presence because I am never leaving this bed."

"Me neither. We can just live in this moment forever," she said as she positioned herself so they were spooning.

I'm living for the only thing I know,

I'm running and not quite sure where to go,

And I don't know what I'm diving into,

Just hanging by a moment here with you,

Harry inhaled the scent of her hair. He couldn't place the smell, so he decided to call it `Hermione'. He allowed his hand to caress the dip in her side, which marked her waist.

"Love, I don't know where we are going to end up in five years or ten, or one hundred, but I know that I am going to be with you, always. That is the one thing I can count on."

"I was just thinking the same thing, Harry. I love you. But, no more talking. We'll worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Right now I want to enjoy this moment, because we'll never have it again."

Just hanging by a moment,

Hanging by a moment,

Hanging by a moment,

Hanging by a moment here with you

Harry and Hermione fell asleep in a tangle of limbs. They were finally together. They had finally admitted the truth and everything just seemed to click into place. All it took was one moment in the course of their lives to make everything complete.


-->