Unofficial Portkey Archive

50 First Dates by PhoenixFirebolt
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

50 First Dates

PhoenixFirebolt
50 First Dates

Chapter One - A Meeting In the Three Broomsticks

On a bright and sunny summer morning in Scotland, Harry Potter strolled through the streets of Hogsmeade, headed for the Three Broomsticks for breakfast. A light breeze was blowing and it caused his jet black hair to fall into his brilliant green eyes, momentarily hiding the vivid lightning bolt scar on his forehead. It was the scar that made Harry Potter famous.

As he smiled and waved to people passing him on the street, most of them stopped in shock, gawking and pointing at him. Harry chuckled lightly under his breath. His fame would never die out.

What made Harry famous was not something he was entirely proud of though. Twenty-two years earlier, on a cold Halloween night, he had lost both of his parents to the darkest wizard to ever live. Lord Voldemort had killed them both instantly before pointing his wand at the one-year old Harry. Avada Kedavra had killed hundreds of wizards and witches before, but somehow, Harry survived it, rebounding the curse on Voldemort who fled barely alive. The scar was all Harry had to mark him and since that day he was famous and known as the Boy-Who-Lived, the hero of the Wizarding World.

Harry had never known of the existence of this world until he was eleven years old. The truth of his identity was hidden from him for ten years by his wretched aunt and uncle, the Dursley's. Muggles to the core and holding hatred for all magic, they had tried in vain to keep him out of the Wizarding World forever. But on Harry's eleventh birthday, the letter from Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry arrived.

Hogwarts became Harry's home. For seven years he attended school there, learning the ways of being a wizard, casting spells and brewing potions. He was one of the top students, especially in the area of Defense Against the Dark Arts. There he met his best friend, Ronald Weasley, and he also learned how to play Quidditch, where he excelled as a Seeker for the Gryffindor team, the House he had been placed in.

Harry's life at Hogwarts consisted of challenges, adventures, and a lot of growing up. Through the help of Headmaster Albus Dumbledore, Harry was able to learn much about himself and also how to defeat Lord Voldemort.

And he did defeat Lord Voldemort. Two years previous, when Harry was nineteen, he and Voldemort met for the last time. With Ron and many more of his Hogwarts friends by his side, Harry banished the Dark Lord, reducing him to a mere pile of ashes. The Light was victorious and the Wizarding World could now rest in peace.

After the battle, Harry decided he would try and live as much of a normal life as possible. He and Ron both applied for positions on the Chudley Cannons Quidditch team, both of them earning their spots. Ron became Keeper and Harry became Seeker. Harry and Ron were incredible assets on the team, earning them many wins and recognition over the world. After a year, both were offered spots on the English Quidditch Team, who had hopes of going to the World Cup. Ron accepted but Harry declined, wanting to do something else with his life.

Harry then moved to France where he earned a job at the French Ministry of Magic. He became the head of the Auror Department and for another year he helped in the catching of Death-Eaters who were still loose after the defeat of Voldemort.

But Harry still wasn't satisfied and even though he loved France, he quit his job and decided to move back to the one place that had truly been his home. After sending an application to Dumbledore to take over the spot of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, he bought a modest house in Hogsmeade and returned to Scotland.

And that is where the story begins. Just that morning, Harry had received an owl from Dumbledore, who eagerly accepted the application and informed the young wizard he would begin teaching after the summer. Harry was ecstatic about returning to Hogwarts and being able to teach his favorite subject. He just hoped the idea of the job being cursed wouldn't pass on to him too.

Harry finally made his way to the Three Broomsticks. He opened the door, the little bell above tinkling softly. Madame Rosmerta looked up from behind the bar and gasped in surprise before throwing her rag down and running over.

"Harry Potter!" she exclaimed, grabbing him in a hug. "How long has it been? Two years? Don't you look handsome now!"

And indeed Harry did. He was six feet tall with a light build from his years of Quidditch and Auror training. His black hair was a bit longer now and hung in front of his emerald colored eyes, which sparkled still with mischief. What made most girls swoon was his lopsided smile, which was knee shaking. He had grown up and filled out, it was a wonder he didn't have a girlfriend.

Harry laughed and hugged her back. "You're right, it has been two years. How are you?"

"Oh, I'm doing wonderful. Are you just visiting Hogwarts?" she asked, tapping her turquoise colored heels.

"Actually, no. I've moved back. I bought a house here and I'm taking over as Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher next year at Hogwarts," Harry replied, grinning.

"Oh! That is just brilliant!" Rosmerta said, smiling back. "I was hoping we'd have you back some day, Harry. Now, are you here for some breakfast?"

Harry nodded. "I'm famished."

"Good. Take a seat and I'll be right with you."

Madame Rosmerta marched back to the counter and started getting some drinks ready. Harry turned away from the door and made his way over to one of the booths by the window. A few patrons were scattered throughout the place; an older couple, a few goblins, and a young woman.

Harry's eyes stayed on the young woman for a few seconds. She was very pretty and looked vaguely familiar, with long curly brown hair and deep brown eyes. She was slim and seemed to be several inches shorter than Harry. At the moment, her brows were etched together in concentration as she carefully pieced together a house made out of waffles using toothpicks.

Harry fought the urge to laugh at the sight. The girl was obviously very intent on her design and as Harry took a seat in the booth across from her, he watched as Madame Rosmerta brought her another plate of waffles. The woman smiled in appreciation and continued placing the waffle pieces together. He noticed she was having a great deal of trouble with the door, because no matter what she did, it just wouldn't swing open.

Abandoning his table, Harry slowly walked over to the woman and leaned over her.

"May I?" he asked, grabbing a toothpick.

She stared at him in surprise and watched as he placed the toothpick in place along the side of the door, allowing the piece to swing freely back and forth.

"There," Harry said quietly. "I think that works better."

The woman smiled and looked up at him. "Thank you. That was becoming quite a frustration for me."

Harry laughed. "I could tell. Is this a past time of yours?"

The woman laughed merrily. "No, no. It's just something I felt like doing. I'm in a good mood today and couldn't resist playing with my food like a little kid."

Harry motioned his hand to the seat across from her. "Mind if I sit down?"

"Oh, go right ahead."

As he sat down, Harry felt her eyes on him and he waited in expectation of what was to come. Sure enough, a small gasp escaped her lips and her eyes widened.

"Oh my! You're Harry Potter, aren't you?" she exclaimed.

As he nodded she stuck her hand out. "I'm Hermione Granger. You probably don't remember me but we went to school together at Hogwarts. We were in the same year but different Houses."

"Oh, yes. I thought you looked familiar," Harry said. "What House were you in?"

"Ravenclaw," Hermione replied. "You were in Gryffindor I remember."

"Yeah, I was."

A short silence fell between them as Hermione continued messing with her waffle creation. She finally looked up and started talking.

"So, Harry, what brings you back here?"

"I'm teaching at Hogwarts next year. I took the position of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. I decided I wanted to come early so I bought a house here in Hogsmeade. What about you?" Harry questioned.

Hermione set her toothpick down and gave Harry a large grin. "Today is my uncle's birthday. He and I always take a trip to Diagon Alley on his birthday and spend the whole day together. He lives here, along with me and one of my best friends."

"Sounds like you have a fun day planned," Harry said with a grin, taking a sip of water.

Madame Rosmerta then walked up, taking Harry's order. He noticed she was staring at him in a funny way, as if trying to get something across to him. Harry ignored it though, thinking it was just his mind playing tricks on him.

His breakfast finally arrived and he and Hermione continued talking, her creating houses out of waffles and him eating his food. Harry found that he really enjoyed talking to Hermione. She was very intelligent and held a good conversation. He loved the way her eyes would light up when she either talked about her small family or when she was discussing something about books and different spells she had learned. He also loved her laugh and he tried as hard as he could to get her to laugh several times.

Finally, Hermione looked at her watch and announced that she had to leave. Harry was done with his breakfast so he stood up to leave as well. They both paid and walked out of the Three Broomsticks, stopping on the walkway in front of the building.

"Well, it was a pleasure seeing you, Harry," Hermione said with a twinkle in her eyes.

"It was really nice seeing you too, Hermione. I'm sorry we never really talked at Hogwarts, I would have liked to have known you back then." Harry stuck his hands in his pockets, an apologetic look on his face.

Hermione's features softened and she lightly touched Harry's shoulder. "Oh, please don't worry about that. We were from different Houses, it's only natural that we didn't really know each other. You were Harry Potter as well and I was very shy. I'm just glad I was able to meet and talk with you now. I had a wonderful time."

Harry bent his head a bit in embarrassment and smiled shyly at Hermione. She really was very beautiful and he knew, at that moment, he definitely wanted and needed to get to know her better. There was so much about her he wanted to know.

"I was wondering," Harry started, running his shoe through the dirt. "Would you mind if we ever saw each other again?"

Hermione tilted her head in thought before a slow smile graced her lips. "I would love to see you again, Harry. I want to know more about you, the real person behind the famous Harry Potter. What do you say about meeting here again for breakfast tomorrow morning?"

Harry felt his heart lift at her words. It was exactly what he wanted to hear. "I would love that. Same time?"

Hermione laughed, making Harry's smile grow wider. "Same time it is. I really must be going now though, my uncle and Neville are expecting me."

Harry frowned. "Neville? As in Neville Longbottom?"

Hermione nodded. "He's been my best friend ever since first year at Hogwarts. I met him on the train and we bonded over trying to find his toad, Trevor." She laughed again. "He's been an amazing friend and has stuck by me through a lot. He became really close with my uncle too so we both moved in with him after Hogwarts."

"Yeah, I remember Neville," Harry said, a small hint of jealousy in his tone. "He was in Gryffindor. A bit forgetful but still, he was a good bloke."

Hermione smiled. "He always has been."

She looked down at her watch again and gasped.

"Oh, I really must be going! I'll see you tomorrow, Harry. I promise I won't forget!" She said quickly as she started walking backwards.

"All right, go have fun with your uncle. I'll see you tomorrow, Hermione," he said as he waved to her.

Hermione waved back and then turned and ran down the street, her brown hair flying behind her. Harry dropped his hand and a small grin spread across his face. He barely knew Hermione Granger but he could already tell there was something special about her. He liked her, he knew that much.

Harry began his walk back to his house, all of his thoughts directed toward the next morning when he would see Hermione once more.

..................

Disclaimer: I own absolutely nothing. The characters and setting are JKR's and the general plot is from the movie "50 First Dates." Oh course, I did do a few changes of my own, lol.

Author's Note: All right, I know I have three other stories sitting around waiting to be finished but I couldn't let this idea sit any longer. I've had the story idea for a long time now and I've kept putting it off. I really want to write this though so I decided to get going with it. It won't be an incredibly long story, no where near "The Heirs of Hogwarts" but it'll have a fair amount of chapters. I promise to have the next chapter of "Heirs" up VERY soon, I'm in the process of writing it now. My other two stories, "To Win Your Heart" and "Love Is Never Simple" will be continued with shortly cause I've left them both hanging for far too long.

Any way though, this story is based off of "50 First Dates" a very cute movie. This IS an A/U story, lol, which you probably all noticed. It's also not going to follow "50 First Dates" exactly. My story isn't really a comedy, more of a drama, and I've only taken the general plot idea and a few ideas from the movie. I really don't wanna use many lines from the movie either cause then this story would be a pure copy of it. I really hope you enjoyed the first chapter, please please review and I promise to have the next chapter up soon!

Much Love,
PhoenixFirebolt