Unofficial Portkey Archive

Fate by heaven85
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Fate

heaven85

Fate

By: Heaven85

A/N: This is a one shot AU fic based on an idea I got from a taiwanese soap. I hope you enjoy this fic and please review.

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter or Hermione Granger. They belong to J.K.Rowling. This fic is for entertainment purposes only.

Harry's POV:

Fate is something that I have never believed in. But I do now.

If you had asked me if I believed in fate, a few years ago I wouldn't have. And it's all because of her. Hermione, my best friend and love of my life. Let me explain. During my last year at Hogwarts, I realized the depth of my feelings for her but I could not tell her because it wouldn't be fair to ask her to wait for me when I didn't know if I lived or died. If I had told her how I felt I know that she wouldn't be able to move on and find something else. Not that I wanted her to be with anyone else but I did want her to be happy and to be with someone who truly loved her and would take care of her. The main reason, however, was that I was scared that maybe she didn't love me back but deep down I always did know that she loved me but I was too stubborn to see it.

After my battle with Voldemort was over I had convinced myself that I needed to get my life back together before I could even begin thinking about spending my life with anyone. I was training to be an auror, which was really dangerous and once again I convinced myself not to tell her how I felt. But somehow she still seemed to be waiting for me.

Hermione POV:

I never believed in fate in my life. I always believed that you could control your own life and destiny. I was always the levelheaded one and needed hard evidence to believe something. But love is something that is real and strong but unexplainable. Why did I fall in love with one of my best friends? I don't know how or when I just know that I did. I had known this fact since 5th year but I never once told Harry about it. I didn't want to burden him with it because he had so much going on his life already with the final battle approaching. I also never really knew if he really did love me back or not. There were hints of it every now and then but never anything concrete. But in my heart I knew that he loved me too so I waited for him without telling him that I was. I think though that somehow he knew because of the look of sadness I saw in his eyes just before he left for the final battle.

I thought that maybe after it was all over and he came back that he would admit that he loved me and we could be together but he never did. After finishing school, I had many opportunities at various jobs including jobs at the ministry and the school but I turned them down because I wanted to be able to help Harry and somehow those jobs never felt right for me. I decided to go into journalism but hard core news stuff nothing at all like Rita Skeeter and her lies. It was a pretty good job and I loved it more than I thought I would. And then it happened, something changed the relationship between Harry and me and it wasn't good. It was all because of this once in a lifetime interview that I did for the paper, he had asked me not to go but I couldn't give it up and I never thought that anything bad would have happened to him. But it did. He was in a coma for a few days and because I wasn't there, it changed things between us, he was somehow disappointed in me for not being there when he needed me most. If I had known, if I had gotten my messages I would have been there but I wasn't and that reason was that I had to do something for me.

Harry's POV:

Six months had passed and in that time Hermione and I never spoke to each other. I was upset for some reason and I couldn't forgive her even if I knew she never meant for it to happen. The thing that hurt the most was that everyone else was there except her. I had vowed to forget how I felt about her but as time passed I realized that I couldn't. I had joined the Quidditch team to try to forget about her. Even when, Hermione had tried to mend the fences by giving me one of the books on quidditch that I really wanted and couldn't get because of availibility, I couldn't bring myself to tell her how I felt.

A couple of months later, I finally saw Hermione again after a game that we had won. She congratulated me and we had made small talk and she asked if maybe we could have dinner sometime and I said that I would love to sometime. Then I realized that there was no time like the present and I raced out to catch her and that was when I saw her with someone else. A man and sadly enough they looked happy.

Hermione's POV:

I never thought that I would ever meet anyone else that I could possibly want to spend my life with. But I did out of nowhere and when I least expected it. Matt really was a great guy and he really cared me and took an interest in my work and helped me out whenever he could. And then it happened he had asked me to marry him in one of my favorite cafes and on his knees. I had nodded yes because I was just so shocked and overwhelmed by it all. The thing was that it didn't completely feel right but I was sure that I could be happy and he really was a great guy.

Harry's POV:

When I received the wedding invitation I felt as if my heart was being torn in two. I never thought that she would get married this quickly. I only recently found out she was dating someone else. I guess the truth is that I always thought that she would still be waiting for me. Selfish I know but that was what I always thought.

I had decided to go over to house and talk to her and tell her how I felt. I could see some of her other friends talking animatedly about the wedding and her parents looking so happy and proud of their daughter that I couldn't go through with it.

Hermione's POV:

I was really hoping that he had come to tell me that to get married then maybe I would have a reason not to marry Matt because right now I can't convince myself otherwise. Maybe all this time I have been wrong and Harry doesn't love me. Matt can give me a good life and we're leaving right after the wedding and moving to the USA. It's scary and exciting at the same time. I'll be able to get a fresh start.

Harry's POV:

At an interview for quidditch;

Today is her wedding day to someone other than me. I am distracted as I think about how much I regret not telling her how I felt and now its too late. I was broken out of my thoughts by the greetings of the female interviewer and introduced herself as Jane

She was asking me to say something to all those people watching so I said Hello to everyone.

Then they asked me all the routine questions and then came a question that really got my attention.

"Do you have any regrets Mr. Potter?" Jane asked. .

"I regret not getting to know my godfather better before he died, I regret not listening to Hermione in my 5th year about what was going on. I regret not cherishing the most important woman in my life and I regret not telling her how I feel about her."

"Why not tell her now?" Jane asked.

"It's too late. She's leaving. She's going to America. She's getting married to a good man. She's going to be leading a great life where they will have breakfast together, have lunch together, go to movies together, she'll be waiting for him to come home. He'll kiss her goodnight and they get to sleep next to the person they love the most. I just wish it were me." Harry replied.

"Is there something you want to say to her?" the interviewer asked.

"No I won't say it." Harry asked.

"Now if the woman that Mr. Potter is listening to this please give us a call." Jane added.

"Are you sure you don't want to say anything?" Jane asked.

"No, do you have a red marker?" Harry asked.

"I have a red lipstick on the side table." Jane answered.

Hermione's POV:

It was just so weird that the reverend that was to marry Matthew and I didn't come put of his office so we had decided to go in and see what was happening. The reverend happened to be watching a Quidditch interview with Harry. He was talking about this girl that he wanted to tell something to. Was it me? I wasn't sure but as he mentioned that she was going to America I knew that he was talking about me. I felt like I couldn't breathe as he talked about what he thought married life would be like and that he wanted to be the groom. I walked closer to the screen as I heard the interviewer asked what he wanted to say to me. But he said that he wouldn't say it? I didn't know what to do, should I go on marrying Matthew or not? Then I saw it, he had turned the camera to face him and wrote with lipstick I heart u. I felt my heart leaping with happiness and as I stared into the face of Matthew all I could see was Harry and I knew what I had to do. I ran out of there quickly in my wedding dress and decided to check the park where I knew he liked to be. As I reached the park I slowed down to catch my breath and that was when I saw him and called out his name.

Harry's POV:

I couldn't believe it when I heard Hermione's voice behind me. I thought that I was hallucinating but I turned around cautiously and there I saw her. She looked incredibly beautiful in her wedding dress and I could tell that she was panting a little. Did she run here?

"Hi." I replied.

"I saw everything. Did you mean what you said?" Hermione asked quickly.

I took a deep breath and walked over to her and nodded.

"I want to hear you say it." Hermione asked.

"I love you Hermione Granger." I replied.

"I love you too Harry." Hermione whispered back and wrapping her arms around him.

"I learned something else too." I added.

"What?" Hermione asked.

"I learned to cherish the people around me." I replied.

Hermione just smiled touched her forehead to mine and I pulled back and our lips touched for the first time and it felt like nothing I had ever experienced before. I felt shocks of electricity and happiness taking over as she kissed me back with equal passion.

Hermione's POV:

That was the moment in my life that made me believe in fate and that two people who truly loved each other will end up together no matter what curveball life throws your way. Harry and I dated for about a year before we got married and we lived happily ever since.

Harry's POV:

That was the story of how my wife, I love how that sounds and I got together. Fate played a big role in us getting back together and I cherish her now more than ever. We held a wonderful life together despite our arguments because I believed that our love could survive anything and I love her now more than I did the day I married her.