Unofficial Portkey Archive

A Sure Thing by Goldy
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A Sure Thing

Goldy

Title: A Sure Thing (1/2)

Disclaimer: They still belong to the illustrious JKR. Yes, yes.

A/N: And here's another fic I posted So Very Long Ago on my LJ, though I did attempt to clean it up a little since then. Written for Victoria Tonks, who requested a Cho-fic. Rather fluffy.

Two months, Hermione reflected. It took two months of their sixth year for Cho Chang to make her move.

She'd cornered Harry on his way into the Great Hall for breakfast. And though Harry hadn't spoken of his old crush in months, it was apparent that Cho held his full attention. Cho Chang was still a pretty girl.

Arm touch. Swing of her hair. The giggle. Arm touch again.

Hermione wasn't sure what disgusted her more, Cho's oh-so-obvious attempts at flirting or Harry thriving on the attention.

Cho touched Harry's arm again and he went red. No doubt, he was probably beginning to stammer.

The entire encounter lasted no more than ten minutes.

Ten minutes and Hermione was certain that Harry's three-year crush on Cho had been re-awakened. Hermione sighed, vaguely wondering why she tortured herself by examining them so closely. If Harry placed looks above brains and personality then there was little Hermione could do about it.

Oh, she supposed that Cho was a nice enough girl.

A nice enough girl who probably only liked Harry because of his name. As far as Hermione was concerned, Harry was neither a trophy nor a prize. He wasn't an ornament to be dangled from Cho's arm. Harry deserved someone that could see past the fame, someone who wouldn't spend all her time blubbering all over him.

Someone like his best friend.

Hermione quickly pushed the thought from her mind. There was no use for her to indulge in self-pity.

When Harry sat down across from her, blushing and smiling slightly, Hermione set her resolve.

She'd done this last year-she could do it again.

So she smiled pleasantly at him, bid him good-morning, and prepared to be what Harry needed her to be.

His best friend.

***

"Hermione! Hey, Hermione, wait up!"

Hermione slowed her pace, fighting annoyance. She was already running late for Transfiguration.

Cho jogged to catch up to her.

"Hey," she said breathlessly. "You're a fast walker. I saw you at the end of the corridor. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to catch you in time."

"Well, I'm running late."

"Oh, I'm sorry!" Cho said. "Here, I'll walk you to class. I was hoping we'd have a chance to talk."

"Fine," Hermione said. She waited a moment for Cho to get her breath back before continuing on.

"I was just-"

"No," Hermione interrupted.

Cho glanced over. "Pardon?"

Hermione sighed. "No, Harry doesn't feel that way about me. No, you don't have to worry we're more than friends. That's what you wanted to ask, wasn't it?"

A faint blush spread across Cho's cheeks. "I'm sorry."

"That's fine," Hermione said shortly.

Never let it be said that Hermione Granger wasn't a good friend.

"What about you?" Cho asked. "Do you, er… fancy Harry?"

"What difference does that make?" Hermione said, irritated by the question.

"Look," Cho said. "I'm just trying to do the right thing. Yeah, I fancy Harry, but I get that you guys have a very close relationship. You're the most important girl in his life and that's hard for someone like me to understand. I don't have any close male friends. I just want to make sure that I'm not chasing after something that's never going to happen. Harry puts a lot of faith into your opinion."

Hermione stopped and turned to look her in the eyes.

"If you're asking me if I'd ever stand in the way of Harry finding happiness with someone, then the answer is still no."

Cho looked taken aback. "Oh. Er… thank you, I guess."

"You're welcome."

Adjusting the strap of her bag, Hermione continued on to Transfiguration.

Hermione Granger was a good friend.

***

No one knew Harry like Hermione did.

Especially not Cho.

Cho saw what she wanted to see-the scar, the bravery, the fame.

Hermione knew Harry, the boy. She knew the boy who had nightmares and grieved for his godfather. She knew he had an awful temper and tended to take her for granted. She knew that he was kind-one of the kindest people she'd ever met.

She knew that, ultimately, Harry would do anything for her.

Hermione could see where Cho's fears stemmed from. Hermione's opinion did mean a lot to Harry.

But she'd meant what she said.

If Cho made Harry happy, then Hermione wouldn't stand in the way.

Which was why, when Harry sat down in the armchair opposite hers, Hermione slid her homework out of the way and turned to face him.

"You want to talk about Cho," she said bluntly.

Harry looked relieved that she'd been the one to bring it up. "Yeah. I reckon that would be a good idea."

Hermione smiled and put herself into 'best friend' mode. She was determined to be what Harry needed her to be.

Even if that meant locking up her own feelings.

"Well, she certainly fancies you."

"I s'pose."

Hermione studied him, chewing her lower lip in concentration. He'd barely given her any reaction and that surprised her.

"I know you two went through a rough patch last year, but things might be different this time around. Maybe… maybe she's finally moved past Cedric."

"Yeah," Harry said vaguely.

Hermione frowned. "So… how about you?"

"Me?"

"Yes, Harry, you. Do you still fancy her?"

Harry stared very hard at the floor. "That's just it," he mumbled. "I dunno."

Hermione's heart was beating very fast.

She was a good friend.

She wouldn't allow herself to influence him.

"Well… she's… she's very pretty."

"Yeah," Harry said. "But the world has loads of other pretty girls that don't act like a human hosepipe, doesn't it?"

"Yes, but-"

"And, anyway, that's not even it. I don't think it's fair to anyone, honestly. If I had… if I had a girlfriend, it'd be a danger to them, you know?" Harry paused, deep in concentration. "Someone like Cho, she has no idea what she'd be getting into with me. It's not fair. Who would ever be able to handle what the prophecy said? Who'd ever be willing to be tied to someone that has to fight Voldemort?"

"Oh, Harry…"

"It's alright," he said. "I've had a lot of time to think about this. I can count on one hand the number of people who can separate me from the name on that prophecy." He gave an ironic smile. "And I don't s'pose Ron would be much interested in dating me."

Hermione laughed.

"Or not," Harry said, grinning. "Of course, there's always…" he trailed off, looking at her in a very peculiar way.

Like he'd never seen her before.

Hermione bit her lip. She'd seen that look before. In fourth-year, right before the Yule Bawl.

When Ron discovered she was a girl.

"No, Harry," she said, voice quivering. "Don't look at me that way."

He flushed. "I…I don't know what you're talking about."

"You know what I'm talking about," she whispered. "And I refuse to be a last resort. Not for Ron, not even for you."

"A last resort? Hermione, what are you going on about?"

She looked away. "I couldn't handle it if you felt you had to settle for me, merely because you thought it wouldn't be fair to another girl."

"I… hang on," Harry said. "That's hardly fair. What, is it completely ridiculous to think that I might actually have feelings for you?"

"Well… yes," Hermione said, barely aware that the words had tumbled from her mouth.

Instead of being taken aback, Harry's mouth narrowed in determination. He leaned closer to her.

"Look," he said. "All I know is that you're there all the time. I hear your voice in my head. I worry about what you think of me. I have dreams about…" Harry trailed off and blushed. "Err… I'm just-I just think that-that Cho might have had a point last year. No one can ever replace you, Hermione. It'd be stupid to even try. And-and," Harry's voice turned more urgent. "Last year, in the Department of Mysteries… I couldn't even think after Dolohov put that curse on you. I panicked… I don't think-I don't think I could tolerate it if I lost you."

Harry swallowed, eyes a little desperate. "So you see, I'm not settling for you at all. You're already-you're already there. I just… never realized it."

Looking drained after his confession, Harry slumped in the armchair, face pleading as he stared at her.

Hermione felt very warm. Her tongue was heavy and she could only seem to stare back at him. Harry, her best friend, Harry, whose eyes had never seemed quite that eager and hopeful before.

The fire gave a little snap, causing both of them to jump.

Something in Hermione's mind fell into place.

If Harry found happiness with someone, she wouldn't stand in the way.

Hermione Granger was a good friend.

"Harry," she whispered. "I think it would be a good idea for you to ask me to Hogsmeade."

"I… okay." Harry grinned. "Err… will you go to­-"

"Yes!"

Harry stared. "You didn't even know what I was going to say."

"Oh, hush," she said, laughing. "I said 'yes,' didn't I?"

Harry frowned. "I s'pose I have to talk to Cho now."

"Yes," Hermione said sternly. "And don't ignore her, either. It's awful to be rejected."

"I don't reckon she'll much like it when she finds out about us, either."

"No, probably not," Hermione said.

Harry shrugged. "It never would have lasted it, anyway. She never really… understood me. And, honestly? I never really understood her, either. I don't think we knew each other very well."

"I know," Hermione said.

"Well, you could've said something!" Harry said irritably. "It would have saved me a lot of trouble."

Hermione smiled indulgently.

"I'm a good friend, Harry."