Unofficial Portkey Archive

Look in my eyes by ardelis_fari
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Look in my eyes

ardelis_fari

Disclaimer: This story is based on characters and situations created and owned by JK Rowling, various publishers including but not limited to Bloomsbury Books, Scholastic Books and Raincoast Books, and Warner Bros., Inc. No money is being made and no copyright or trademark infringement is intended.

Classification: Romance

Pairing: H/Hr

Rating: PG-13

Summary: It's the Trio's sixth year at Hogwarts. Harry and Hermione are slowly becoming aware of certain attraction between them. Both suffer from bouts of ungrounded jealousy and just plain misery, but not even for one second does it occur to them that all they have to do is just look in each other's eyes.

CHAPTER ONE

Back at Hogwarts

Hermione Granger was sitting in the Gryffindor common room on a Sunday afternoon. It was already mid-September. School started only two weeks ago, but the students have already plunged into the usual routine of the school work and Quidditch practices. But Hermione's thoughts were far away from that. She sat there, thoughtful, tousling the letter that a brown barn owl had just brought in. It was from Viktor Krum. Hermione let out a sigh. She started to find his love somewhat burdensome. His every letter was practically stuffed with his assertions of love. He knew that she didn't share his feelings, but he kept writing to her anyway. She wanted to tell him to stop sending letters, but couldn't bring herself to do it. She just didn't want to hurt him. She used to like him once, but they were so different, and with time their differences became even more obvious. She'd have to end it one day, whether he wanted it or not. And it would really mean the end of it. Somehow staying just friends with him didn't seem like a feasible option. She knew it wouldn't work out. She sighed again and slipped the letter in her schoolbag. She would deal with it later.

Now she had other things to think of. To start with, she was now in her sixth year and she was still the Gryffindor Prefect. This meant a great responsibility. Just today Professor McGonagall was telling her how glad she was that such a zealous and reliable student became the Prefect. And Hermione didn't want to let her down. Her sixth year was going to be a lot harder, but she was pretty sure that she would be able to combine her duties with studying.

In the other corner of the room a flash of ginger hair that could only belong to a Weasley caught her eye. Ginny Weasley, Ron's little sister and her best friend. She watched her, smiling. Ginny grew up a lot for the past year and especially this summer, and now, at the age of fifteen, she was turning into a pretty young woman. Her image has undergone some major changes too. She wasn't the shy, insecure little girl any more. She grew out of her crush on Harry and just last year started dating boys, to much discontent of Ron. Her relationship with the Ravenclaw Michael Corner didn't last long and over the summer she turned her affections to Dean Thomas, on whose lap she was sitting right now. They looked like a nice couple, but their relationship was rather stormy. They got together and they broke up with a frequency of soap-opera characters. They had minor rows all the time - Ginny simply couldn't stand his obsession with soccer and Dean thought she was too pushy at times. Right now they were having a heated discussion about something and if one looked at them, they'd say that these two were madly in love with each other. They surely were. When they were apart, Ginny was unhappy, despite her saying that she didn't wish to see Dean ever again. She and Hermione grew very close during Hermione's stay at the Burrow at the end of the summer holidays. She'd been a witness to all their trials and tribulations, and she could see that these two couldn't live a day without each other. She tried to give all the support she could to her friend, especially after Ron had found out about the whole thing. He wasn't too happy about it. He still thought of Ginny as a little child who needed his protection. Dean was a good friend of his, they even shared the dormitory, but he still didn't trust him with his sister. Hermione was pretty sure that he wouldn't trust anyone for that matter.

Ginny caught her amused look and waved at her amicably. Hermione smiled at her and sighed inwardly. She wished that she too had someone who could make her feel so blissfully happy when they were around and so utterly miserable when they were gone. Sometimes she felt that she had so much unspent love and tenderness inside that she thought she would burst. But there was no one in the whole Hogwarts who would give her butterflies in her stomach or even look at them twice. Ginny always told her that eventually Hermione would find her love just like she did. A celebrity pop-singer Stubby Boardman used to sing that love hides behind every corner. Well, she must be walking in circles then, because she hasn't found it yet.

She drifted away from her thoughts at the sound of the clock that chimed lunch-time. The Gryffindors followed each other out of the hole behind the portrait. Hermione was making a mental list of things she had to do that day as she was walking down the numerous stairs towards the Great Hall for lunch. When she sat down at the Gryffindor table, Ron and Harry weren't there yet, probably still practicing on the field. She was munching on a piece of chicken, still thinking about the essay on the History of Magic she had to finish, and then she had to do some reading for this Arithmancy project…

"A sickle for your thoughts," Ron's voice brought her back from her reverie.

"Oh, hi Ron," she smiled at her friend. "How was the Quidditch practice?"

"Good," he smiled widely, as he helped himself to a dish of chicken, "we practiced three different techniques for each house we are going to play against. We worked especially hard on the tactics against Slytherin. Those poor bastards don't stand a chance, now that Harry is our captain." He glared at the Slytherin table.

Hermione laughed. Harry and the rest of the team soon joined them at the table. The conversation soon led back to Quidditch and Hermione drifted back to her thoughts about the studying plans. She finished her meal and decided to go to the library, where she could indulge in reading.

"Guys, I'm going to the library for a while," she informed them.

They nodded, but she doubted they even heard her as they were having a heated discussion about the advantages of the new Comet 3000 advertised in the last issue of "Which Broomstick?"

"Boys!" Hermione muttered under her breath as she ascended the moving marble stairs towards the library.

Once she was there, she decided to start with the most difficult assignment - her Arithmancy project. Hermione wired in this activity with zeal and soon piles of heavy books covered every inch of free space on her desk. She checked her bibliography list and found out that there was yet another book to look for in the library - 'Decoding Arithmancy Charts. Advanced Level' by Melinda Crass. She got up and scanned the rows of books in the Arithmancy section. At last she spotted the book she was looking for. She reached the uppermost shelf for the thick folio, but the book was too high. She didn't dare use the Accio spell, as the books on the shelf looked very ancient and they fitted so close to each other. Madam Pince would probably make her do boring chores for the rest of her life, if these books collapsed. She was about to get the levitating ladder, when a tall figure appeared before her. She looked up and saw Terry Boot, a boy from the Ravenclaw House in the same year as her.

"Here, let me help you with that," he said, flashing a charming smile, as he handed her the book.

Hermione blinked. Was she hallucinating, or was this handsome Ravenclaw really smiling at her? If she didn't know that there was no one behind her, she could swear that this smile was meant for someone else. Someone like Cho Chang or Marietta Edgecomb.

"Oh thanks," she managed to say as she took the book from him.

"You are welcome!" he smiled again, before leaving.

Hermione still stood in the aisle between high bookcases, stunned and confused. Terry Boot was almost flirting with her! Hermione didn't consider herself ugly, but she was surprised, nevertheless.

"Well, didn't you say just this morning, you wished you had a boyfriend?" teased a small voice at the back of her mind.

"But not Terry Boot!" she almost shouted it out loud.

She ignored that little voice in her head and set to work on her project with even more enthusiasm. With pinpoint accuracy she drew a chart after chart; a pile of parchment grew in front of her. She had been desperately trying to find a very important piece of information in the reference book when she got distracted. Two tables ahead of her the bosom friends, Parvati Patil and Lavender Brown were giggling over some book in a fancy leather bind. Some wizard with a stylish goatee was moving on the cover and winking at the girls. Hermione squinted to see the title of the book. In the curvy golden letters it read: Viridian Vindictus - Curse and Countercurse (Bewitch Your Friends and Befuddle Your Enemies with the Latest Revenges: Hair Loss, Jelly-Legs, Tongue-Tying and Much, Much More). Hermione snorted. She couldn't believe someone would actually read such rubbish. She went back to her reading, but realized that she couldn't concentrate anymore. She glanced at her wrist-watch - she had been working for almost four hours in a row! No wonder she felt so tired.

She shoved the books and various pieces of parchment in her schoolbag and left the library. The corridors were dark and gave her an eerie feeling as she walked briskly, trying not to stumble upon a missing step in the stairs and, moreover, to avoid Peeves with his dirty tricks. At last she reached the Gryffindor Tower.

"Password?" asked the Fat Lady.

"Tripe toffee," she answered.

The portrait swung open and Hermione climbed in. As a contrast to the murky dark corridors, the Gryffindor common room was warm and cozy. It was almost empty, except for a few giggling second-years, who were unsuccessfully trying to perform the reductor curse on someone's pet. Then she spotted Ron next to the fire-place. Smiling, she approached her friend, who was laboring over his essay, with the tip of his quill in his mouth.

"Hey, Ron. Do you need any help?" she asked as she settled herself down in the armchair next to him.

"Oh well, yeah, actually I need some help," he admitted.

"This essay is due tomorrow, isn't it?" Hermione frowned, looking at the blank piece of parchment in front of him.

"Yes."

"Ron, you have to start taking your studies seriously," she began saying.

Ron just rolled his eyes. "Do you want to help or do you want to read me another lecture?" he asked impatiently.

Hermione took pity on him and started to explain the theory.

* * *

The trio was sitting at the table in the Great Hall the next morning. It was Monday, and like all Mondays this one was going to be hard and long. Hermione was reading The Daily Prophet while chewing on her scrambled eggs. From time to time she would raise her brows and shake her head. Curious, Harry and Ron peeked in. On two pages was an interview with Cornelius Fudge on the occasion of the official visit of the Albanian Minister for Magic to England. In the photo made by Bozo (The Daily Prophet's celebrated photographer) Cornelius Fudge looked very pompous and kept frowning.

"Oh that!" Ron drawled. "Really, what's all the fuss about?" Then he grinned. "I heard from Mum and Dad that Percy has been practically living at the Ministry lately, with all his very important tasks!"

The boys grinned at each other. Hermione frowned at them, but there was a small smile twitching the corners of her mouth.

"We should really hurry up or we'll be late for class!" Hermione nudged them a few minutes later.

"What do we have now, by the way? Oh no," Ron growled as he looked at his timetable, "We've got double potions with Slytherin now!"

"Exactly!" exclaimed Hermione, exasperated.

Panting, the three friends barely made it to the class on time. Professor Snape entered the dungeon some moments later, his usual black robes flowing behind him. He gave everyone a glance that boded no good. Hermione heard Neville gulp.

In his usual snarling voice, Professor Snape addressed the class.

"Today you shall be preparing the Draught of Peace. You should have read the corresponding pages in your books." With a swish of his wand he made the list of ingredients and instructions appear on the blackboard. "You may begin."

Hermione was crushing hellebore, while trying to hear what Ron was whispering to her and Harry. This had something to do with dishonest practices of some members of the Ministry and it was of great importance to the Order. Ron happened to overhear his father speaking with Tonks about it. Like her friends, she was eager to help the Order in every way she could, especially after what happened to Sirius last year. She was just sharing her point of view with Ron, when she heard the bellowing voice of Snape.

"Miss Granger, if you think that my class is not important, you might as well leave. I will not tolerate such negligent attitude towards my subject from anyone!"

Snape's criticism of her was always unjust and she learned to ignore it. Surprisingly, he didn't take any points off their house. She decided not to tempt him any further and broke off the conversation.

After what seemed like forever, the class was dismissed and a very relieved Hermione quickly shoved her books in her bag and hurried to the door. Ron and Harry ran away to check the owlery before the History of Magic class. She was about to make her exit, when someone blocked her way. Hermione groaned inwardly. Draco Malfoy was approaching her with his sidekicks Crabbe and Goyle following him behind.

"So Granger, why are you alone? Where are your loyal bodyguards, Potty and Weasel?" he sneered. "Remind me, which one is your boyfriend again? It's that poverty-stricken Weasley, I assume, since the famous Potter is taken by that Ravenclaw seeker. Oh, I'm sorry, did you want to go out with him? How insensitive of him to dump you like that!" Malfoy smirked and Crabbe and Goyle grinned in agreement.

"Drop dead, Malfoy!" murmured Hermione through gritted teeth.

"Granger, Granger," he clicked his tongue, "where are your manners? Being the Prefect, you should watch yourself. What kind of role model are you for the rest of us?"

"Oh I highly doubt that you need one!" she snapped, shoving past him.

His cold derisive laughter resounded behind her. Oh how she wished she didn't have to see him ever again! Her life would be just perfect. Actually he would do everyone a huge favour by disappearing and never coming back again. But she just didn't see that happen, so she would just have to put up with him. Two more years and then it would be over, she comforted herself. She wondered if she would be able to stand his presence for so long, before killing him with her bare hands. Stupid conceited prat! With these blood-thirsty thoughts Hermione made her way to Professor Binns' class.

The class started only five minutes ago, but Ron was already almost dozing off to the boring screed of professor Binns about some revolution started by goblins in the thirteenth century or maybe by elves in the sixteenth century. He couldn't tell. He scrawled something on his piece of parchment from time to time, so that Hermione wouldn't pick on him. What's the point in listening, if Hermione takes notes and she will let her friends use them anyway? He yawned and glanced sideways. Hermione was neatly recording all the information. Ron turned away and looked out of the window. The sun was shining so brightly and it was unusually warm for September. Instead of sitting here, he could be flying on his broom high above the Quidditch field. He was just picturing himself soar in the skies with his hair ruffled by warm gushes of autumn wind, when Hermione elbowed him, frowning. Ron rolled his eyes at her and started to scribble down some dates.

"Harry, Ron!" Hermione chided at dinner. "You should study harder, you know. That is, if you still want to become Aurors. If you remember, to become an Auror, you must gain at least five NEWTs with grades no lower than 'Exceeds Expectations' in subjects including: Defense Against the Dark Arts, Potions, Transfiguration, and Charms! And both of you are practically flunking Potions!"

"Well, that is Snape's fault. I can't help it," said Ron defensively.

"Maybe then we could spend extra hours on that. See, I could help you-"

"Of course, Hermione! It'll be great!" Harry interrupted her. "Now, can we talk about something else besides studying?"

"Fine! Fail your NEWTs, I don't care!" she remarked angrily before turning to talk to Ginny and Dean.

After the dinner she sneaked into the library again. She really wanted to finish her homework, but she didn't fancy Ron and Harry making fun of her again.

When she was back in the common room she found a very agitated group of students glued to the notice-board. Curious, she walked closer and saw that a new Quidditch roster appeared, announcing the first game of the year - Gryffindor vs. Hufflepuff. The Gryffindor team players, with Harry and Ron among them, were already there, whispering conspiratorially and making plans for the upcoming game.

Hermione smiled to herself. Things were going to be just fine. And while no one would forget what happened before the summer holidays, their life was about to get back on tracks.

_____________________________________

A/N: here's the first chapter for you all. Please leave a review! If you thought that it was somewhat uneventful, I promise it'll get better soon. Oh yes, I forgot to mention that Melinda Crass and her book 'Decoding Arithmancy Charts. Advanced Level' are purely my invention. R&R!