Unofficial Portkey Archive

A Moment of Peace by oldfan
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A Moment of Peace

oldfan

Chapter 1-Hogwarts Express

Sunny and moderate was the forecast Harry heard on the muggle radio station as he wrapped up his day at the book signing for Voldemort and Me: How I Survived. Harry hated this but everyone he knew said that he should make some money off the fame he'd enjoyed years ago. After all, he was now not only the media darling of the Ministry of Magic, but reported in every tabloid to be dating eldest daughters of the richest wizard families in the United Kingdom.

As the public face of the Ministry of Magic, Harry had learned to navigate the most difficult of public controversies, deflect personal and public criticism, and convince everyone that he liked being a talking head. He hated it. He realized that almost as soon as Rita Skeeter started interviewing him about lost love at Hogwarts. He had never been out of the public spotlight in his entire life. Why after fighting the Minister of Magic Rufus Scrimgeour tooth and nail about not being "his boy" did he do it anyway?

Staring out the window at the countryside riding the Hogwarts Express for the first time in three years he saw so many things that reminded him of Ron, Hermione, and Ginny. He knew that each landscape he remembered would trigger another memory. He laughed as he recalled the day Hermione had introduced herself and acted so disgusted with Ron that he and Ron thought she was rude. He'd kept track of the careers of his friends but unlike his, their personal lives seemed to never be published. So it would be good to meet their significant others, if there were such people.

He had been seeing another of the long list of 7th year debutantes attending either Hogwarts or Beauxbatons. This girl had actually lasted since the week after school until now when she got mad when he refused to bring her with him. Three weeks and the tabloids had them married and living in the Hamptons. The public scrutiny was so great that he knew that he couldn't visit one of these girls at school without certain death to his love life in the press. It had definitely led to very short relationships that he realized a long time ago were nothing more than publicity stunts for the Ministry to rub elbows with the rich and famous and vice versa. He was a rat in a cage at the moment, but wasn't too upset about it. He knew he had the ultimate get-out-of-jail-free card-his freedom to choose.

He thought about Ron who played Quidditch for the Chudley Cannons. He had matured so quickly once he and Hermione started dating. He made huge strides in self-confidence. Once the professional Quidditch scouts saw his talent, he had the Quidditch world by the horns. His first year he had been named to the all-England team and played against Krum in the Quidditch World Cup, while his second year was marred by a rash of minor injuries the Cannons had won the league championship and he'd finished second in the most valuable player voting. He wondered if Ron ever went a night after a match without a date.

Hermione, sweet Hermione, thought Harry. The most brilliant of the three--he'd thought she'd be finding cures for hexes or developing new potions by now. Her first two years at University were incredibly successful. What changed her life was the short engagement she'd had with the fashion photographer Henri at Which Witch, Intl. As a joke, which backfired for Henri, he published her photo on the cover in June 2000 with the teaser, Harry Potter's Accomplice Grows Up. Harry hadn't seen Hermione since about three days after graduation. The cover made his eye's pop out. Her long mane of brown, lustrous hair and deep soulful brown eyes finally had an incredible body to match. He'd always thought Hermione was pretty, but it was the fashion world that found Hermione. He smiled now though when he saw articles about her in The Daily Prophet. She had S.P.E.W. on the front pages. She was using her notoriety to further causes that ranged from her support of house-elves to a plea for inclusion of giants as members of the Ministry of Magic. Hermione, despite all, was still Hermione.

He wished this ride would have been the place they'd meet first to reminisce. Ron was organizing things at Hogwarts to sponsor a regular season Quidditch Match after the wedding and Hermione was one of the maids of honor and needed to be there earlier that day for some fitting or photo shoot, Harry couldn't remember. But the most wondrous thing of all was the uniting of Remus and Tonks. After years of difficulties, Remus and Tonks had found the middle ground to start their lives together. Harry smiled settled back and decided that he might take this trip more often as watched the beautiful mountains and streams pass by.

The scenery rolled by in a soothing montage of images that allowed Harry think clearly about things for the first time in several days. He enjoyed his apartment and his music. He was happy that the rest of the wizard world wasn't like Hogwarts in the sense that he could have his little gadgets like a CD player and the new type called MP3 players. The muggle magazines said they would be streaming video on those by the year 2006. Harry smiled thinking, whatever streaming video meant. He had the simplest life of all. While certainly known throughout the wizard world, his day to day accomplishments included stopping boys from setting off fireworks in the public lavatories near Buckingham Palace or breaking up rings of thieves who would magically pirate muggle movies and sell them for profit. His only real claim to fame in his current life was he'd taken over as the emissary to the Prime Minister of Britain. Gone were the days of chasing Dark Wizards.

Harry's watch said 7:12 PM when he stepped off the train. The other dozen or so passengers paid no attention to him. He heard the children of one family saying how much they looked forward to meeting Ron. The young boy wore the deep green colors of the Cannons. He smiled when the father said, "Bobby, we just work at the Ministry with Tonks, I can't promise you'll meet Ron Weasley." He smiled at his wife as the walked away.

Harry carried his small suitcase, overcoat and umbrella toward the main exit when he heard the voices. "Harry, mate, look you." It was Fred and George wearing specially made buttons that said, "Lupin for Groom of the Year!" Harry had no doubt where the ridiculous idea came from and it was the magic that made Fred and George who they were. "Harry, we have to hurry. The rehearsal portion starts in like 15 minutes. Dinner is served at 8:30 PM. Look Harry, I got Hermione's number. Mate, she is to die for."

That was the one sad thing about the past three years, Harry thought, as the carriage rumbled through the countryside in the fading light. We cried and promised to stay in touch but so many of the ways we'd done that before we didn't keep up with. They'd planned the usual August 31st dinner to mark the beginning of the new school year, but it never materialized. They thought about gathering for New Year's Eve, no dice. At every turn there had been some life event or more pressing need elsewhere. He breathed a sigh of relief as they approached the tent that would serve as a gathering place in case of rain the next day. The wedding had been planned for indoors but the beautiful July weather gave them other ideas.

He looked around and saw so many familiar faces. Some were from his year others from either the year ahead or behind. Many of the younger students that he'd attended with were now going into their 7th year and virtually none looked familiar. The school had experienced a renaissance when Minerva McGonagall finally was named permanent Headmistress after the passing of Professor Dumbledore and the downfall of Lord Voldemort. The school's reputation soared to top as the elite school in Europe. Minerva had written him a personal letter for his undying loyalty and support for her as the next Head of Hogwarts.

"Harry, oh my god. I was afraid I wouldn't see you until we had to walk the aisle together tomorrow," said Hermione. "I was so afraid you'd missed the train." She hugged him and gave him a kiss on the cheek which he returned without a second thought. It was as if they'd missed each other over the weekend and not over the past three years.

Yet, one look at her and he wondered what planet he'd lived on those seven years at Hogwarts. How could he have not seen this gorgeous girl in front of him for the amazing beauty she was today? He could sense that he was staring. He lowered his eyes and tried to say, "Gee, you're looking good without sounding like nearly every guy who ever looked at her now." It came out as, "Gee, you look different," he smiled.

"Yeah, a lot of people say that but believe it or not, I don't wear anything remotely like this when I'm home. I bought another pink sweatshirt and some Lee jeans from the States and I bum around in those at home. So, how are you?" she asked in such an uplifting manner that Harry had almost forgotten how much fun it was to just talk with her.

"Good, good. Hey, not to change the subject, but have you seen Ron?" he asked.

"Sure he's in the tent with his mom, Fleur and Ginny. He's having another heart attack about his clothes. He out grew his jacket," Hermione laughed.

"Hold that thought," Harry ran for the tent.

"Hey, it's only like two minutes until the rehearsal," she shouted after him.

Harry burst into the tent as Mrs. Weasley was trying for the third time to adjust the size of Ron's jacket so it would fit or so Harry gathered as Ron muttered about never getting anything new. "Well, whose fault is that you Quidditch playing moron?" teased Harry. "You could buy a company that makes jackets by now.

Ron took one look at Harry and they hugged like brothers. "Mate, thank you. I thought I was going to get smothered here with all the students wanting autographs. Now that you and Hermione are here maybe I can breathe."

The noise of many voices slowly quieted to the voice of only one. Mr. Weasley stood as Master of Ceremonies for the evening. "Ladies and gentleman, we will be starting the rehearsal as soon as I finish these announcements. As you know the wedding ceremony is scheduled to begin precisely at 11 AM tomorrow and the Quidditch Match will begin tomorrow night at 7:00 PM. The afternoon hours will include a reception in Hogsmeade where the gracious proprietors have provided the wedding party with vouchers that they may use or give to guests. It entitles you to a free item from each of the stores there."

The small crowd applauded.

"More information will be given around 3PM tomorrow about transportation to the Quidditch Pitch for the match between my son's beloved Chudley Cannons vs. Puddlemere United." He continued. "I case of rain we will enlarge the tent you see behind you to keep everyone dry. Would the wedding party please assemble over here?"

Mr. Weasley pointed to the fantastic assembly of rows and rows of white chairs separated by an eight-foot gap. The poles at the end of each row had bows and ribbon matching the color of the chairs with the addition of a red stripe for the bride's side of the aisle and blue for the groom's. Harry wasn't sure why but Ginny took Ron's arm and Hermione took his as he and Hermione stood at the head of the line of groomsmen and bridesmaids.

He found himself looking at Hermione every thirty seconds or so just to remind himself that he was back. He wanted to go hide somewhere and just stare at her. He whispered to her as Mr. Weasley gave instructions to the ushers. "So, I heard you have been to America recently."

"Yes, I am going to be on the cover of Elle. I'm so excited. My career is expanding beyond the magic world so quickly," she stopped as she heard Mr. Weasley's voice grow nearer.

Harry was thankful that unlike with so many other things Mr. Weasley was not being chatty giving the instructions tonight. Each group was given fifteen seconds of instruction and before Harry and Hermione knew it they didn't have to hold each other's arms anymore. Harry thought about complaining about having to let go, but realized that it might be embarrassing for both of them if anyone else heard. He was sure that Hermione would laugh.

"Hermione, I hope we can chat this weekend," said Harry instead. "I'd really like to catch up."

"Harry, we are going to be attached at the hip this weekend. The press is here for our reunion. Didn't you hear? Someone told Rita Skeeter that we hadn't seen each other in three years. We are going to have to hide to get away from the public eye. I'll see you at the table. Ron, you, I and Ginny have been put together along with the rest of the infamous Dumbledore's Army tonight," said Hermione with a forlorn sigh. "This is what my life is like 24/7."

Once everyone was safely inside the castle and dinner was served, Harry was able to take a look around and see who of the DA was there. Besides the Weasley's and Hermione he saw, Seamus Finnegan, Dean Thomas, Neville Longbottom and his new wife Romilda Vane, the Patel twins, and just two seats over from Ron a young woman who looked familiar yet didn't strike a bell. "Harry, you don't remember me do you?" she said because Harry had stared so long.

"No, I'm very sorry but..." and it dawned on him. "Luna, Luna Lovegood. You look so different." Harry said.

"Well, I didn't turn into a swan like Hermione, but being a pretty duck isn't a bad thing," she smiled and Harry returned it.

In an odd sort of way, he'd always liked Luna more than many of the other people he'd met at Hogwarts. She was unaffected by what others thought and lived by her own rules which was what Harry had done. He turned back to his food and listened as Ginny described coming in with Ron.

"Since I graduated, I've really enjoyed being Ron's personal secretary. But never in a million years would I ever guess that my brother could get so many mental women in one place. Everywhere he goes I end up having schedule two rooms for him at one hotel and have him stay in another. If he were just a Quidditch star, it might not be so bad," said Ginny.

"Yeah," said Ron, "the other day this young girl asked me if I could give her Hermione's address so that she could send her a portfolio of her pictures. Another time there was this woman and her husband who wanted an autograph and a promise that I'd have Harry come out and chase the ghosts out of their basement." People are mental I tell you.

"Oh, come on Ron. How often does that happen?" Harry asked with a look of disbelief.

"Sure, it's not in every city, but when it happens, it is weird." Ron continued, "Harry, they're not kidding. They want you to chase out ghosts or protect them from some nutty neighbor."

Everyone laughed. Harry had gained a reputation in the Ministry for being quite efficient and somewhat of what Americans would call a "Dirty Harry" type. He enjoyed it mostly because it made dealing with people a breeze most times. "Oh, Harry Potter, oh, yes sir they'd say." He rarely had anyone challenge him these days. But the world was different too.

"I read somewhere though Ron that some girl found a way to the floor of the hotel you were in and camped in front of your door," said Harry. "Was that true?"

Ron blushed a little. "Yeah, she wanted to meet me and I had her finally hauled away. I felt so bad though that I went and paid her bail at the Ministry and talked to her under the supervision…hey, wait…that was you…you git…you were the one who was watching us," said Ron.

Harry laughed. "Yeah, that was me, but I couldn't do anything because I was on duty and by the time you were ready to leave I had a call for something or other."

"You know Harry, she was really a nice girl. But she was only seventeen and going to Beauxbatons anyway," said Ron.

"Do I detect a little disappointment?" said Hermione slowly sipping a bowl of soup.

Ginny spoke up, "Yeah, he whinged for three days that he never met anyone worth knowing that wasn't still in school."

Ron shot her a momentarily wicked glance. "Well, it's true. Since Hermione and I broke up, there hasn't been a decent girl in sight."

Seamus had been straining to hear. "Looking at her now Ron, do I detect a little sorrow there too?"

"Ha! Ha! Very funny Finnegan," Ron looked upset for a moment and then smiled.

Hermione said, "No, I think I cured him of any sad feelings when he found out what demanding little witch I could be." She smiled at him and went back to the soup. A moment later she saw Harry laughing and said, "If anyone was quoting me, make sure you get that as a `W' and not a `B' for witch." Harry was shaking his head. It had been their private joke while Hermione and Ron dated that Harry would tell her. "You are quite the little witch, that's with a `W' and not a `B'."

It was surprising that there was little animosity between any of them these days. Everything seemed so important back then. They were living in a life-or-death world, yet when all was said and done they realized how lucky they were to be alive. That realization had done a lot to smooth over the rough spots for him and Ginny too when it was apparent they were just very good friends. If they had continued they'd have ended up married and unhappy like so many people who married because everyone else thought they should.

The banter at dinner continued with mostly stories about Ron and his adventures around the world with groupies, autograph hunters and fame-seeking fans. The one thing that Harry felt good about was how grounded Ron had stayed. He hadn't gone off the wall and gotten involved with nearly as many strange women as anyone expected. In two years, he'd had three girlfriends and fame had ruined those relationships. But he was still alive and kicking.

Around 11 PM, Harry returned to the table from congratulating Remus and Tonks as they left. There were only a few remaining: Hermione, Ron, Luna, Ginny, Dean, and Seamus. "Anyone care to stay here and drink a few brews with me," said Seamus. "Me girlfriend wanted to go back and go to sleep and I'm just excited to see you all. She's pregnant, ya know. A boy, due in November."

There were congratulations all around. They ordered up a round of beers for everyone and Seamus offered a toast. "To the greatest group of friends I've ever had," he said. "Here! Here!"

No one expected to still be sitting there at 1AM but the stories continued. This time they were listening to Seamus and stories of his job within the Ministry as a carpenter helping with the remodeling of the Department of Mysteries. He couldn't tell them any specifics but he was a good storyteller because he had them listening to every creepy word about the things they'd pull out of the offices down there. He and Hermione were sitting on the furthest edge when Hermione looked at Harry and said, "This girl's got to go to bed now. I'll never make it through tomorrow if I drink one more drop."

Harry offered to walk with her. "Good night, everyone. I'm getting a little pissed about now she said."

"What are you pissed about?" asked Dean slurring his words. "What's her problem?"

"Dean she's not mad. She's saying she's drunk, mate." As everyone laughed Hermione smiled and, "Muah!" she threw everyone a kiss stumbling a little and leaning on Harry.

It had hit her shortly after standing. "Harry, help me. I've never drank more than one and I've had four." She leaned on him. "I'm so dead. I'll look frightful tomorrow." Harry doubted a word of it.

"I don't think that's possible Hermione. You'll wake up and whip up some anti-hangover potion and look like you're ready for Hollywood." Harry said with his arm now around her waist trying to keep her steady.

"Just don't let me fall, Harry." She pleaded.

The classrooms on the first floor had been temporarily enchanted to accommodate visitors and hers was only a fifty feet from the door to the Great Hall. There were a set of steps in front that went in and she said, "Let's sit here for a minute."

Harry helped her sit down. "There, kid. You are just too much."


"Who are you calling kid?" she said. Harry was proud of her. As tipsy as she was she wasn't slurring or unaware of her surroundings just dizzy and unbalanced. "You won't be 21 until the end of the month and I'll be 22 in September. 22, Harry and I'm still single. I can't believe that. Have you found anyone yet?"

"What? Am I hearing you complaining?" asked Harry a little surprised. He saw a flash of annoyance on her face. "You'd give this up to be married at 22?"

"Harry, except for that git Henri, I haven't had date unless it was a publicity stunt. No one wants to look at a pretty and pregnant model witch, with a `w'." She slapped at Harry playfully. "No, maybe not married, but someone to give me something solid in my life."

Harry understood that. The three of them had always been that for each other and that was the hardest thing to get used to for him. I was more like being alone in No. 4 Privet Drive than he liked when he went home to his empty flat. "I gotcha there, Hermione. I definitely do." He didn't feel a thing since he'd been faking drinking all night. He'd learned a year or so before that he would wear lampshades after two beers and that wasn't happening here.

"Good night, Harry," said Hermione. He hugged her and stepped back as he saw Ron coming.

"It is good to see you again," said Ron who had just come around the corner as they'd finished talking.

"Yeah, Ron it is. I'm proud of you by the way," said Hermione.

Harry felt a jolt of joy and the familiar goose bumps that come with a special moment. The three of them put there arms around each other and gave each other a hug. "Okay, here's the deal," said Hermione with a tear in her eye. "Tomorrow, we sit down and tell the true stories of what's been going on. Tonight was okay, but we acted like we were never that close. Bullshit." She looked sheepishly at the two boys after she said it.

"That's okay, Hermione," said Harry.

"Someone had to tell the truth," acknowledged Ron.

"Truth or dare. That's what we'll do. Anyone can join but they have to follow the rules," Harry wasn't sure he wanted to tell the stories of what single men without girlfriends did with their spare time but it would be a hoot.

"Okay, tomorrow after the wedding," said Hermione who now started to sound a little more soused than before.

"You'd better get in bed Hermione," said Ron. "You'll feel better."

"Okay," she said giving them each a kiss on the cheek. She staggered in giggling and kicked her shoes across the room. Harry closed the door.

"How about that?" he said.

"I know, huh?" said Ron. "I have to turn in too, mate. See you in the morning."

"Yeah, good night, Ron." Harry said as he walked a few more doors down. He went into his room and just to see what it felt like, he kicked his shoes off. He laughed as he almost smashed the mirror and mumbled. "She looked so much better doing it." He stripped to his shorts and jumped in bed. One big sigh and Harry was asleep.


-->