Unofficial Portkey Archive

Spotlight by magpie_igraine
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Spotlight

magpie_igraine

Author's note: Fluffy little one-shot about the benefits of clean living. Obviously, my point gets lost what with all the groping in the fic, but hey, it's the thought that counts.

Disclaimer: I own nothing. And, no, I'm not happy about it.

PG13-ish for a little implied drinky-drinky and some old-fashioned pawing.

Spotlight

"We have to try Hermione. Everything will be fine. I'm right here." Harry's tightened his grip on her hand, hoping he sounded braver than he felt. They had to try, gods they just had to.

"Oh Harry, I don't know," Hermione swallowed hard and held fast to his hand. "I…I don't think I can make it. Just go on without me. Please, don't worry about me." Her lips trembled as she gazed into the darkness ahead with wide, watery eyes.

Harry held her shoulders and shook her gently. "No Hermione. I'm not going without you." His eyes darkened as he pleaded with her. "I can't leave you. I can't leave you like this."

"But Harry…" She looked at the staircase leading to the Head Boy/Girl rooms, "it's so far…"

….

The pair's none-too-sober trek back from the evening's Quidditch party had come to a dead halt at the foot of the enclosed staircase.

With its rickety railing and steep stone steps, the stairs had needlessly maimed more students than the Womping Willow and the Room of Requirement combined. Tricky enough when sober and nearly impossible when drunk, many a Head student had learned a painful lesson in clean living and example-setting among the respective houses.

"Come on Mione, just hold on." Harry tightened his hold on her hand and swallowed audibly as he led her up the first flight.

After a few turns, they found it easier to lean against each other as they gingerly felt out the worn steps in front of them. "There now," Harry said as tightened his hold around her shoulders, "this isn't so bad."

"Yeah, Harry, I think we'll make…" she stumbled mid-sentence, falling forward onto the steps "…it."

Harry chuckled as he helped her up.

"Maybe we should take a break," she sighed, leaning against the unsteady railing without waiting for his answer.

Harry shrugged and peered into the darkness at the remaining flights. Only a few more to go…

Hermione regarded the determined Gryffindor in front of her suspiciously. "I still can't see why we couldn't stay in the common room." She paused. "Everyone else did."

"Yeah…everyone," Harry agreed gravely. Everyone including tipsy Terry Boot, who Harry noticed was sniffing around an equally tipsy Hermione. Harry had practically dragged her out the door after giving Terry a look of 'Mine' and 'Painful Death.'

"What do you mean, 'yeah-everyone'?" She asked, turning towards him.

"Nothing," he answered grimly.

"No, not nothing." She muttered and looked at him thoughtfully. "Not nothing."

"Yes, nothing," Harry mumbled.

She bit back a grin. "Terry was there," she added shyly.

"Yeah…" he growled. The very thought of Terry Boot made his stomach curdle.

"You don't like him do you?" She said. More of a statement than a question really.

"Not really," he shrugged, trying to sound nonchalant.

"Betcha I know why," she said playfully as her hands danced lightly along the railing.

"Yeah?" He turned to her, his features turning to stone. "Why?"

"Because you…" she stopped mid-sentence with a knowing smile.

"Because I what?" He prompted with narrowed eyes.

She shook her head and brought her hand to her mouth, trying to stifle the laughter that was bubbling up.

"Because I what?" He repeated, obviously not amused.

She shook her head again, still smiling.

He gently took her hand from her mouth and leaned in with a challenging stare. Her grin faded as she swallowed audibly. Oh yes, she recognized that look.

Harry continued. "Again, because I what?"

"Um," she took a step back. "No reason….I can't remember," she added feebly.

"You can't remember?" He asked, backing her against the stone encasement.

"Um, no," she muttered. Gods she was warm. And why was the room was spinning? She held onto the railing behind her as Harry cornered her.

"'No,' Mione?" he propped his arms on either side of her shoulders, effectively trapping her against the wall. Green eyes boring into brown, he continued. "Then why don't I like Terry Boot?"

"I'm not sure," she admitted weakly. Although she had an idea. Her Harry was nothing if not possessive. Their legs brushed as she nervously shifted from one foot to the other, trying to avoid his stare.

"Oh I think you do know, Miss Granger." He leaned in, his mouth grazing her cheek before moving down to nibble her neck. "I think you know exactly why I don't like watching Terry Boot try to paw you."

"Ummm….Terry who?" She gasped as he kissed and licked along her throat. Her knees buckle and she gripped his collar, hoping to keep upright long enough for him to finish doing…yes there gods there yes…what he was obviously so intent on doing.

"Because…" he paused as he calmly hooked her leg over his hip, "I think that honor," he ran his hands over her sides, "should fall to me. The Boyfriend." She nodded absently, now lost to the delicious sensations Harry was creating.

Somewhere in the back of her mind, Hermione was berating herself for losing control first. Merlin I act like a bloody kangaroo in heat whenever he comes near me…Mmmm Harry, coming near me, and with me, and on… her last coherent thought went unfinished as he pressed himself against her. She had hoped time and a little practice would take care of her involuntary tackle-and-tickle-compulsion.

Make that a lot of practice, she sighed as she opened her eyes and gazed into his own sea of green

"Hermione," he breathed as he hitched up her skirt, pausing when he heard her strangled moan. "Wall's not too hard, is it love?" His concern melted into a lopsided grin when she reached for his belt.

"Um. What wall? What?" She was too busy tugging at the latch to answer. Stubborn, stupid beltcome off!

She stilled as she felt his hot breath against her neck.

"Need help love?" He whispered.

She nodded absently, still staring at the uncooperative latch in her hands. He drew her hands away, and brought her arms around his neck as he deftly worked at the remaining clothes between them.

She eased back on the railing and brought her other leg around his hip.

"All right then?" He asked as she hummed her approval.

"Harry," she sighed.

"Yeah love?"

"Shut up and put your hands on me."

"Yes ma'am" he said deferentially. Gods he loved it when she used that Head Girl's voice…

-----------

Later….

----------

Harry leaned down and nuzzled her throat, being utterly unhelpful as she readjusted her clothing.

"Mmmm." Hermione sighed. Merlin he's good at that.

" 'Mmmm' indeed sweets." He replied. He gave her a soft kiss on her forehead before scooping her up and carrying her to her room.

"Harry! Put me down," she cried as he climbed the last flight.

"Sorry Mione," he winked. "Not too sure you can walk after all that."

She rolled her eyes, grateful that gloat-boy didn't know just how far from the truth he wasn't.

"Well Hermione, we made it," he declared proudly as he kicked open the door.

"No thanks to you," she muttered into his collar. "Yum. You smell good."

"Well I should," he said, amused. "I smell like you." He placed her over the covers and settled beside her, wrapping his arms around her as she drew a quilt over the both of them. Her legs hook over his as she planted slow kisses along his jaw.

"My Hermes," he said as his eyes closed. She nodded her silent agreement against the crook of his neck. "Take that Terry Boot," he muttered.

Hermione nudged him for good measure before drifting off to sleep. Take that indeed…must make sure to flirt with Terry Boot more often…

End