Unofficial Portkey Archive

Some Things Are Worth It by padfoot_puppyeyes
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Some Things Are Worth It

padfoot_puppyeyes

AN- Alright, guys, killing the author is prohibited. I just write the stuff, if it sucks, take it out on my muse. It's evil, and wants fluff, lots of fluff, when it pops up at all. Don't shoot the messanger! I DON'T OWN HARRY POTTER! NO SUING ALLOWED!

The bright white of the hospital wing was almost blinding in the morning sun. Tucked under a starched hospital blanket, Harry looked paler and more fragile now than ever, and Hermione couldn't help but sigh at the sight. Even as it reminded her how young and even vulnerable he was, it also made her feel much older than eleven. It was amazing really, she reflected, what a year could do. It was amazing what a moment could do.

Indeed, it had only taken her a moment to realize something both earth-shattering and frightening, as well as breathtakingly beautiful.

Harry Potter wasn't just an average kid. He wasn't an average wizard. He wasn't an average anything. He really was a hero, and she had realized in a moment a few days ago that Harry was the only one that could save them in the future.

Hermione knew she was smart, and therefore she wasn't stupid enough to believe that she was powerful. Sure, she had a power of her own, because knowledge is power. But she would never have the nerve, skill, cunning, bravery, and power that it took to lead an army and the save the world.

But Harry did. She would have, a year ago, said that no one their age could convince people to follow them into a fight, would have said that no one could successfully lead an attack against adults. Not at their age.

But when the adults hadn't listened, Harry had done what had to be done. And for some reason unknown to her, she had followed.

Ron had followed too, and she was sure as she looked at him over Harry's still body across the bed, that he knew the same thing she now did.

"So he's the real deal, huh?" Ron asked, voicing her thoughts. It seemed like, ever since their brush with death while going against You-Know-Who, they had been doing that often. Voicing each other's thoughts, or talking without needing words.

"I guess so. He came so close to…" She couldn't say dieing. She didn't want to think about him dead. So instead she changed the topic slightly, and said, "You know, he'll need us when he does it."

"Does what, though?" Ron asked. "I know he'll do something, something important. But what will he do?"

Hermione shrugged, and Ron accepted the answer and went back to staring contemplatively at Harry's face. "Well, I'm staying with him." He said after a moment of silence. "I think he'll need all the help he can get."

Hermione nodded in agreement, and met Ron's eyes. His intense expression said that he understood. Following Harry would be dangerous, and frightening, and probably deadly. But it seemed that, somewhere along the way, he'd earned their loyalty, and Hermione knew, despite her younger age, that their loyalty to him would probably lead them to their death.

But it seemed like she and Ron had just come to agree on at least one thing; Harry Potter was their friend and hero, and they would do their best to finish with him the adventure they had started together.

Later on, Harry was released from the hospital wing as they returned from studying in the library. The three of them beamed at each other, Harry saying,

"Ron?"

"I'm good. You?"

"I'm alright. Hermione?"

She noted that Harry too was a part of this communication between the three of them without words. Words seemed pointless right now, so she simply replied, "Never better." They all stood in silence for a moment, basking in their friendship, before Harry caught up to them and returned to the Gryffindor common room, listening to Ron talk about the lost matches in excruciating detail the entire way. For the moment, Hermione didn't think about the danger that lie ahead as Harry Potter's best friend. She didn't worry about the effect it could have on her life, her relationships, her grades…

For the moment, she simply appreciated the strong friendship the three of them had. There were some things worth risking everything for. And he was one of them.


-->