Unofficial Portkey Archive

Much More Important by padfoot_puppyeyes
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Much More Important

padfoot_puppyeyes

AN- This is just going to be some random moments that seemed like good times to write about to explain the unexplainable relationship between the three members of the trio. I have the first three done, and will try to update quickly. This will probably have about five moments in all, depending on how you, the reads, react. So do me and yourselves a favor and REVIEW!

Disclaimer-

My only cash comes from babysitting,

Which I have to do, when I could be sitting,

At home writing up new fics

I don't just write these things for kicks!

I'm not paid in money, and all I ask of you

Is that after you read, you kindly review.

Ron sighed for what seemed to him like the millionth time as he watched his mother putt about the small kitchen in silence. Every once in a while he would catch a word or two of the many she was muttering under her breath while cleaning the remaining mess left behind from her oldest son's marriage earlier that day.

From what he could make of her ramblings, she was wondering to herself how her first three sons could have been so successful at both school and life, while her younger three were all Hogwarts dropouts. Frowning, Ron let her carry on for a while about the injustice of it all before finally saying, "I take it you don't like the idea?"

"Ronald Weasley, you will not go chasing after some far-fetched idea as your brothers did. They only managed to do so well because of luck and help. You can't just quit school to go off chasing fantasies that may never come true!"

"MUM!" Ron gasped, appalled that she could even think he would leave school for such a simple reason. He wouldn't be doing this if it didn't have to be done. "How could you even think I would do that? Do you honestly think that I'm stupid enough to believe that I could make it in the real world by myself?"

"Well, if you're dropping out of school, I shouldn't have to answer that question!" Molly Weasley was irate, and normally Ron would know that now would be a good time to back off. Normally, however, the problem wasn't such a big issue, and Ron wasn't about to back down on this one without a fight, as much as he might just want to agree with his mother and return to the semi-safety and normality that came with Hogwarts.

But it wouldn't be worth it to return to school without Hermione there to nag him to study. It wouldn't be worth it without Harry there to make the year interesting and laugh at Hermione with him.

And suddenly returning to Hogwarts seemed even less appealing.

But just as Ron opened his mouth to once again argue, a his exhausted father appeared in the fireplace, then walked slowly towards the table. He had been at his son's wedding only to be called away in the middle of the reception to take care of another attack.

At the sight of his father's tired face, and the horror he felt when learning that several dozen people had died in that day's attack, Ron determination only rose.

Sensing the thick tension in the room, and perhaps hearing his wife's irritated mutterings, Ron's father asked him what was happening. Before Ron could get a word in edgewise, his mother snapped,

"Ronald's been talking about not returning to Hogwarts for his last year of school." In satisfaction, she watched as her husband reacted just as she had to the news; with anger.

"You mean…Ron's been looking into dropping out of school?"

"It wouldn't really be dropping out-" Ron tried to argue. Unfortunately, his mother fought this by saying,

"Oh, then what would you call leaving school before graduation to enter the real world?" She asked bitterly, a stormy look on her face. Ron clenched his fists in anger and opened his mouth to give an angry retort when Fred and George flooed in from the fireplace, dusting themselves off as they surveyed the scene in the kitchen.

"Going into business, following your dreams and growing up, that's what we call it." Fred answered hotly, a scowl automatically on his face. "Honestly, mum, it's been a year. I thought we'd gotten past this."

"Oh, this has nothing to do with you two." Ron's mum said, placing her hands on her hips in an intimidating fashion.

"So mind your own business." Ron added, proud of himself for getting a word in until George threw his own words back at him.

"At least we have a business to mind! Are you the son dropping out of Hogwarts she was talking about?"

"Of course he is." Fred muttered to his twin, interrupting him mid-speech. "He's the only son in Hogwarts that she has left." Both of them grinned at each other in some sort of private joke before Fred continued where his twin had left off, asking, "And what store are you going to run once you get out of school, little Ronnikens? There are only so many chess sets you can sell."

"This is much more important than chess!" Ron argued, nearly yelling. At this point, he was pretty sure his stubby fingernails were nearly making his palms bleed with how hard he was pushing them into his skin, but it was the only thing keeping him from completely losing his control. If he wanted to be treated like an adult, than he'd have to act like one. "And it's much more important than your stupid prank shop!"

"Why Fred," George began, looking at his twin in mock-horror. "I believe our little brother is claiming that he has something to do that is worth more than our pride and joy!"

"It does sound that way, doesn't it George? They just grow up too fast, they do." Fred replied, then turned to face Ron with an amused expression. "No offense is meant by this, baby brother, but what could you possibly have to do that is more important than school and our business?" His brother's tone was mocking, but Ron noticed that his mother hadn't said anything yet. She and his father both were waiting for his answer, anticipating it as much as the twins were. Through all of the tension and stress in the room, Hermione and Harry poked their heads through the door.

"Is everything all right in here?" Harry asked, his voice mild. "We thought we heard yelling." It wasn't until later that Fred and George noticed that no one had been yelling, and Harry and Hermione had appeared at the perfect time. They had probably been waiting outside the door the entire time, Ron thought affectionately, waiting to see if he would do all right talking to his parents on his own.

"Everything's fine. I'm ready to get going, are you two?" Somehow, Fred and George felt like they were almost missing a part of the conversation. It was almost like the trio could talk between each other without actually saying anything, and absently Molly Weasley wondered at how the bond between her youngest son and his two best friends was past even the point of a husband and wife bond, or the telepathic bond twins seemed to share. Her Ron and the two children he had befriended and she had basically adopted as her own were closer than words could explain.

"We're nearly ready." Hermione answered for them, smiling softly. "Just give us a few minutes."

Ron knew that those were a few minutes his friends were giving him to say goodbye privately and he smiled gratefully, nodding. Both of his friends disappeared once again and the kitchen was silent for moments afterward.

Finally, Ron broke the silence by turning to his mother and saying, "I know you aren't happy with this, and I'm sorry, but it's something that has to be done. Harry has to finish this." The words, `and I need to be with him' didn't need to be said, because they were already understood. "I know that I need to graduate, but…some things are just much more important."

Ron hugged his crying parents and joined his friends, who were waiting for him.

As much as Molly Weasley wanted to hold him back, she knew that her youngest son had a large part in the war that was being waged all around them. She watched him leave with Harry and Hermione, and knew as soon as she saw the look of relief on the young savior of the wizarding world's face that her son was right. Some things were just much more important.


-->