Unofficial Portkey Archive

Moonlight Flight by Vanilla
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Moonlight Flight

Vanilla

His palms were sweating. His heart was pounding. He knew he had to do this now, or he never would. Covered by the invisibility cloak and Firebolt in hand he slowly made his way up the stairs to the head girl's dormitory.

He knocked on the door gently before pushing it open. He was surprised to see Hermione Granger still awake sitting on the edge of her bed folding clothes and putting them in her trunk.

"Hello?" Hermione called, looking right through him.

He stood in the entranceway breathing heavily, just watching her. For a second he wants to rip off the cloak and tell her then and now. But, he can't, he's had this planned for weeks, and he wants it to be special.

"Hello?" Hermione asked again. "Harry is that you?"

He pulls the cloak off sideways, sending his already unmanageable hair askew. Feeling relief from being liberated from the heat of the cloak, he sets in down along with the Firebolt in the chair and moves into the room closing the door behind him.

Hermione smiled from her spot on the bed. "Harry, what are you doing up here at this hour?"

"What are you still doing awake?" he asked, ignoring her question.

She looked down at her trunk, and then back at him. "Oh," she said, starting to fold a shirt. "Just packing before the train comes tomorrow. I can't believe we're going home tomorrow and never coming back."

"Oh," Harry said, looking out the window. His palms were getting sweatier, and hippogriff's were starting to form in the pit his stomach. "Come with me."

"What?" Hermione asked, looking up at him.

"Come with me," he repeated.

"What why? Harry!" Hermione stammered.

He strode across the room grabbing her wrist and pulling her up from the bed. She looked up at him with concern. "Harry what's going on?" she asks and he takes her across the room, and down to the common room.

He didn't answer her. If he opened his mouth, he felt like he might be sick. He picked up his Firebolt and threw the cloak over the both of them.

"Harry please tell me what's going on!" Hermione pleaded, and he helped her through the portrait hole. "Why are you acting so strange?"

Harry pushed her against the wall and crushed her lips with his. She tangled her hands in his hair, a low moan emitting from her throat. Harry's hands roamed the small of her back, moving down to her bottom, squeezing it sending tingles up her spine.

"I love when you do that," she whispered.

"Well I love doing it."

They both laughed.

"Now, where are you taking me at this hour?"

Harry smiled and grazed her cheek with back of his hand. His stomach twisted in nervous knots again at the reminder of what he was going to do. He was scared. What if she got mad and broke up with him? He didn't think he could live with that. Nevertheless, he had to try. "Do you trust me?"

"Of course I trust you."

He held out his hand waiting for her to take it so he could lead her to his destination. "Then trust me," he whispered.

She looked from his outstretched hand up to his eyes and bore into them. "Okay," she smiled, taking his hand.

Harry led her through the dark empty corridors, down winding staircases, carefully trying to avoid Filch and Mrs. Norris. Harry pushed the large front doors open and sauntered down the steps with Hermione at his heel. Both welcomed the cool night breeze from under the sultry cloak.

Harry pulled the cloak off them knowing they would be safe blanketed by the darkness of the lawns. The night was clear, and the moon shone brightly over them illuminating their features. They made their way past Hagrid's hut, where all the lights had been extinguished, and down to the Quidditch Pitch.

"Close your eyes," he instructed.

She did just that. Harry mounted his Firebolt, and then carefully guided her to sit sidesaddle on the broom in front of him.

"Harry, flying scares me."

"I know…" he whispered soothingly. He wrapped an arm around her waist and pulled her against him. He flatted her hair with his free hand and kissed her temple. "…But trust me."

With her eyes still closed, she relaxed her body against his. Two arms wrapped around him tightly, her head resting against his shoulder she whimper her consent. She knew she was safe with him. Harry would never put her in danger. She trusted him with her life.

Harry kicked off from the ground, and Hermione went stiff against his body. "It's okay," he whispered soothingly, running his fingers up her back. "Keep your eyes closed."

She relaxed at his words, and inhaled his scent. She loved his scent. It was the scent of courage and strength. Harry adjusted to the extra weight on the broom by flying is slow low circles. When he felt comfortable enough, he slowly inclined upward towards the stars. He went slow at first, not wanting to startle Hermione, gradually increasing his speed the higher he went. He flew higher and higher he had never been this high on a broom before. Soon the Quidditch Pitch was nothing but a minuscule dot.

Harry looked around and took a deep breath. This was the place. His heart pounded in his chest as he slowed the Firebolt to a stop. Hovering in midair, he shifted slightly. He released his grip from the handle of the broom, and placed it on Hermione's hip.

"Open your eyes," he whispered. Hermione steadily lifted her head of Harry's shoulder, and peered up at him. He smiled down at her. "Turn around."

She smiled back and turned. Her eyes widened and she gasped. "Oh Harry!" she whispered, raising her hands to her agape mouth. "It's so beautiful!" she softly added.

It was breath taking, hovering alone high in the darkness they were surrounded by hundred…thousands, no, millions of boundless stars. The moon was so large and so bright; Hermione felt that if she reached out, she could almost touch it with her fingertips.

"This is why you brought me out here?" she smiled. "To show me all this?"

"No…well yeah, but…no," he stammered.

She looked up at him perplexed.

Harry's heart pounded hard in his chest again. He was so nervous.

"Harry?"

He took a deep breath, and paused for a moment before he spoke. "I brought you here because..." he said as he took another deep breath. "…I want to tell you something."

"Oh?" she questioned. "What is it you want to tell me?"

His stomach tightened in a sharp knot. He took another deep breath…several to be exact.

"I love you, Hermione."

Her eyes danced across his face. A large grin tugged at the corners of her mouth. "You do?" she said under her breath.

"Yes," he smiled, brushing her hair away from her face. "I love you!"

Hermione threw her arms around him, nearly knocking them off the broom. "Oh Harry!" she said, placing kisses all over his face. She pulled away and looked into his eyes. "I love you too."

He grinned at her, and leaned in kissing her deeply. His hands tangled in her brown curls. A low moan escaped from her throat. "I love you, Hermione! I love you, I love you, I love you…more than anything!" Harry mumbled against her lips.

"Harry, I love you too…so much!"

Harry looked into her eyes and saw all of his pain and all of his years of abuse just fade away. He never wanted this moment to fade. And even if they only had one night away from everything, it was all right, because they had each other and that was all they needed.

********
The End


-->