Unofficial Portkey Archive

A Game of Pawns by The Obsidian Warlock
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A Game of Pawns

The Obsidian Warlock

The story you are about to read is one that I have had planned for quite some time; in fact, ever since I finished reading "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix". The demands of reality, however, did not allow me time to write. Also, I hadn't actually seen Portkey's site until much later.

Now that you've endured my endless speeches about HBP and the possible endings on the forums, it occurred to me that perhaps the story that's floated in my mind for so long should finally be written. I've tried to convince you that the story of Harry and Hermione is not finished yet in cannon, and that we can expect them together only after the defeat of Riddle, based upon the alchemical symbolism in the series, and the nature of Harry's connection with Riddle along with the consequences of that connection.

Now, I will try to show you a different version of Harry Potter: one slightly darker; one where the war with Voldemort is played carefully on both sides; where the terrorism of the Death Eaters and the vigilantism of the Order of the Phoenix are viewed as equally criminal by an oppressive Ministry, struggling to retain control. I will show you my opinion of the "power that the Dark Lord knows not;" something that I have assured you will also appear to some degree in canon, too.

I will also show you a world where wizards are not so far removed from Muggle society; where Muggles cannot be kept so conveniently distant, and steps need to be taken to prevent notice - a more realistic world, perhaps, where the rash actions of wizards can directly impact the views and beliefs of Muggles; where the average person is vigilant enough to know that something is wrong.

I will update as fast as possible - I want you to read this - but I can't override reality. I will thank in advance any of you who take the time to comment on my chapters as they are posted: your warm reception in the forums is what prompted me to post this story, and I value your input on it.

Without further ado, I give you A Game of Pawns.