Unofficial Portkey Archive

A Walk to Remember by a muggle named Caity
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A Walk to Remember

a muggle named Caity

Title: A Walk to Remember

Author: a muggle named Caity

Ships: H/Hr

Rating: G

Disclaimer: You should know the drill by now, so I shouldn't have to repeat it for you.

A/N: This is a scene I'm borrowing from the movie, "A Walk to Remember". The idea popped into my head just a little while ago actually, pretty much after I watched the movie yesterday. So, if you haven't seen the movie (great btw!) or haven't read the book (wonderful as well!), then I suggest checking into that before reading this, since it might not make since without it. Enjoy!

A/N 2: I wrote this story a year ago and I finally seem to be okay with how it ends. And I finally have time to work on my other stories, so to all you NLM fans, your wish may finally be coming true. So watch for updates. Now please enjoy "A Walk to Remember".

Warning: a major character death

***

Chapter: A Walk to Remember

I remember standing there, my breath literally catching in my throat as she gracefully walked towards me, her father's arm linked with hers, holding her steady. She was beautiful; her hair put up in an elegant bun towards the top of her head, much like she had worn it at the Yule Ball in our fourth year at Hogwarts. She had on the most lovely dress I'd ever seen; it was spaghetti-strapped, jewel encrusted, and a gorgeous creamy white color that looked stunning against her pale skin.

That perfect summer day was our wedding day. I know it was sudden and we were so young, but it was the last thing on her list and I loved her enough to give it to her. I was going to do this later on anyway.

As her and her father had approached me, he smiled warmly and gave me her hand, giving her a gentle kiss on the cheek before returning to his seat in the front row of the church. I didn't even notice when the minister had begun his speech, my total focus had been on the woman before me: Hermione.

We both had recited our vows when time, had nodded when needed, and had said "I do" when supposed to. The entire wedding ceremony for us was basically just looking into each other's eyes; we never broke eye contact. And repeatedly whispering "I love you" over and over to each other. The only words that the minister had said really that I had heard were, "You may now kiss your bride!" and believe me, I happily obliged.

Our reception was beautiful. Our friends really went full out on us. And the Honeymoon was incredible. Even with the exception of Hermione's disease. We hardly ever left the room, half for Hermione's benefit, half for mine. But, mostly for Hermione's.

The next month was spent moving into our house. I had done everything in my power to make sure it was comfortable for my Hermione, seeing as she became sicker and sicker with each passing day.

The next few months after that were doing anything and everything that Hermione wanted to do. Most of it were just things like being with each other, and I had had no problem with that whatsoever. I got to spend precious time with her before she left. Which is exactly what she did. Her cancer finally won over and she died peacefully in her sleep on Christmas night. I had expected myself to cry out and scream, but I did neither. I merely cuddled up next to her and held her until morning.

The funeral had been perfect. I expected no less for my Hermione. She had been buried right next to her mum, right where she had always said she wanted to be. I had had her gravestone be made of complete marble and made sure it said everything that needed to be said.

I came back to visit her everyday. I knew it wasn't healthy, but it helped me in the beginning. Ron and Ginny would sometimes accompany me, for they had loved Hermione as well, but I mostly went by myself. I'd sometimes talk to her, for I knew she was listening, she just literally couldn't communicate back. Then I made a trip to her grave once a week, then once a month, now I visit her on the anniversary of her death only.

It's been two years now since her passing, and the deep cut of her passing is still fresh within me. But, I know she's in a better place now, watching over us all from above. And that's what gives me peace-of-mind to go on with my life.

A/N: So…? You like it? You hate it? Let me know. I'm getting back into my writing and some reviews would be just lovely. Thank you for reading.