Unofficial Portkey Archive

A Life Much Greater by jms granger
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A Life Much Greater

jms granger

Disclaimer: I'm not Jk Rowling. Although my first initial is J, the others aren't K and R.

To Change a Life

It had always been her dream to visit London, when her parents had taken her over before she had never yet got there as she had always had see the family in Cornwall, but now she was here indefinitely, or at least if her Dad got the position at Kings college that he was after. London was as she had dreamt it, a thriving metropolis of a mixture between sky rise buildings and family homes that peppered the surroundings. Everyone seemed so exotic to her as she watched them walking past her in their suits for work, or in their casual clothes as they lounged around for their days relaxing in the sun baked park. As for the teenagers that were flocking the streets they seemed to be practically running the city in their large groups as they pursued their summer holiday, they slightly frightened her by how different they were to her friends back home who were more relaxed and calm than these. However, they intrigued her more than she could have imagined, a way of life and being that was very foreign to her that promised to change her more than anything else could have done in life. She got a feeling that was like the one she got on Christmas morning, where the excitement of the day ahead filled her body every morning she woke up in this beautiful city.

`Hermione, you ready?' came a voice from downstairs.

`Nearly, mother' she shouted back, it was a lie as she was still in her pajamas, mornings had never been the easiest time for her. She had a quick shower and got changed into a pair of light blue jeans and a simple light yellow v-neck, it was a simple outfit as was how she usually dressed. Before she went downstairs to her mother she noticed that it had only taken her about half an hour to get ready, a new record that her mother would be pleased with today. As she pushed open the door she was surprised to find her mother having cooked a large breakfast, but not ready yet.

`Morning mother, how come you're not ready yet? Don't tell me I finally beat you' Hermione said throwing herself down onto a chair and sipping at a hot cup of tea which warmed her up instantly and was sure to get her ready for the day.

`Love, I've got to go with you're father to Kings today' she stated while taking her own seat. Hermione's jaw dropped, she had been hoping to go and look around more today, the waiter at the restaurant they had been to yesterday told her of a great site seeing tour along the Thames and she had wanted to do that today. She also had other places that she really had to visit.

`Mother, I really wanted to do something today!' Hermione said slightly irritably, instantly slamming herself for being immature `I mean, I really wanted to go on the Thames tour today' she said calmly picking up a piece of toast and taking a bite, she always had a good appetite at breakfast.

`I'm sorry love, but I've got to, you're still going though, aren't you?' she said sweetly to her, running a hand along her hair `You've got such lovely hair, Hermione, why can't you let me take you to the hairdressers? It'd look lovely!'

`Mother, I'm happy enough with my hair as it is!' she said embarrassedly pulling away from her mothers hands that were running through her hair, which Hermione admitted was a little bushy but she was generally happy with `I'm not sure about today, maybe I'll just sit around with a book, we could always do that tour tomorrow' Hermione said. The truth was though that she wasn't happy about the idea of running around London by herself, she may be many things but she was still only eighteen years old in a city where she knew no one. The door was pushed open and in walked her father, she gave him a smile as he put his hands on her shoulders.

`So how are the two most beautiful women in the world today?' he said brightly as he let go of her and helped himself to a cup of tea `so where are you going today Hermione? You going to check out that tour we heard about yesterday?' he said brightly grabbing a stack of toast onto a plate and sitting down.

`Actually I was thinking of staying in today, seeing that tour tomorrow with mo…' Hermione trailed of as she saw the look of disapproval on her fathers face `Go on then, what is it you want to say?'

`Just that I know you're worried about going out for the day alone' he said strictly `and what have I always told you to do when you fear something?'

`To face it head on' Hermione said truthfully. She had always been raised to be a strong woman, to face every battle head on, it was the only way she knew how to live, `Ok then, you've twisted my arm!' she said playfully dramatic throwing her hands up in the air.

`Good on you, love. I'm running as late as usual, I better go up and get ready, enjoy yourself today and be safe' she said getting up and pulling Hermione into a hug before giving her husband a kiss on the lips and leaving to go up stairs.

`I can see where I got it from' Hermione said chuckling, her mother was nearly as bad at getting ready in the mornings as she was. Her dad laughed appreciatively but carried on staring at her. She stood up and got her purse from the kitchen top where she always kept it, she didn't need a jacket as the summer weather was hot and humid enough to take care of that.

`Be careful today honey, London may look all nice and tidy but it can be rough…' her dad said warningly to her, she though just smirked and turned around and looked at him.

`Daddy, listen. I'd like to see anyone try. I'm 18 now and I wouldn't have to hold back' she said giving him a smile and a hug before leaving `Remember that you're daughters a fully qualified witch!'

****()__________()****

Hermione had checked out the times for the tour at the local library and had decided on doing it that evening, she reasoned to herself that it would look beautiful if done at sunset and up close the Thames wasn't any where near as nice as she had previously believed. The water was dirty and disgusting and large packs of school kids were hanging out around the banks who were giving her strange looks, and although she knew she didn't have to fear them she also knew that putting herself in a situation where she would have to use magic would be foolish. She decided that going to Diagon Alley first to stock up on books and to have a look would be the best thing to do, after all the promise of going to the famous Diagon Alley had been on the forefront of her mind every time she was in England. So she caught the tube across London and found the pub which had the entrance out back. She was so excited that she was barely paying attention as she bolted through the pub and into the back, rapping the stones with her wand and watching the amazing site as the wall opened up to Diagon Alley.

She was amazed when she saw it, a wizarding world with the hustle and bustle of London, a sight vastly different to anything she had ever seen. She pushed through the crowds and stopped outside Ollivander's, the most famous wand makers in the world. Looking around she could see the huge Gringotts that was here and was amazed by how everyone was acting so normal where everything around her was so amazing. She felt foolish like all tourists do as she wandered around amazed at things that everyone else took for granted.

As her eyes carried on window shopping as she walked past Flourish and Blotts she felt her feet trip over a pair of legs, sending her falling face first down towards the ground as her feet lost their balance. Suddenly a pair of strong hands caught her and held her in its arms.

`Come on, get up honey' the man said to her setting her back on her feet. As she looked at him she recognized who he was almost instantly, the photos in the history books had made his messy raven colored hair famous, adults and school kids alike all knew his name.

`I know you!' she said a little excitedly, it wasn't often that she met a real life hero who was the star of so many books she had read. He was still holding her in his arms as her feet now threatened to give way at her excitement. Before she could continue she heard a laugh from close to her as another man made his presence known.

`Holding a pretty girl in you're arms? Doesn't look so innocent! I'd hope Lily doesn't see that, James' came the mans voice followed by another laugh that reminded Hermione somewhat of a dog. She threw herself from his arms and settled herself on her feet, feeling a small blush spread through her face as she looked at the two of them properly. She felt the blush disappearing as she realized for certain who the two were, being replaced by excitement at the fact that she had just bumped into James Potter and Sirius Black, two of the men most responsible for the downfall of Voldemort, the most powerful dark wizard that there had ever been.

`I'm sorry, I wasn't looking…' she said apologetically as the two of them looked at her strangely, like they were appraising her, they didn't seem to be hearing her as they continued to watch her `…you seem busy…so I guess I'll be going…' she said but neither said anything but she caught them stealing glances at each other. So she shrugged and turned to leave but Sirius caught her arm and finally spoke.

`Hey, I'm sorry for the lack of response. James here is getting on a bit and that near fall seems to have rather shaken him!' Sirius said teasingly to James, who seemed to have awoken again.

`While poor old Sirius here can't talk to a pretty young girl anymore without breaking out into a panic' James said back to him, nudging him jokingly in the ribs to get out the way, Hermione laughed as Sirius broke into playacting hurt, physically and emotionally as he rubbed his side and looked upset. James chuckled as well before speaking to her once again `I'm James and this is Sirius, and what's you're name?' he asked politely offering her his hand, Sirius now beginning to moan slightly as the fake pain seemed to worsen.

`I'm Hermione Granger' she said taking his hand, still laughing at Sirius act. She could tell that he enjoyed making her laugh, one of the jokers who thrived off an audience she figured, however she was enjoying being his audience but James seemed to have his whole attention turned solely on her.

`So what are you doing in Diagon Alley this glorious day?' Sirius said, having given up his play acting and was now back to the conversation `I don't think I've seen you here before?' he said interested.

`Well that's because this is my first time here' Hermione said honestly, she couldn't quite understand it but she seemed to really like these two and she usually was more suspicious of people.

`It's your first day and you bump into the two of us! Sirius said proudly

`I am a rather unlucky girl' she said jokingly causing James and Sirius to break into laughter.

So, where are you from…did you say you're name was Hermione?' James asked after recovering first from laughing.

`Yes and I'm from France, I went to Beauxbatons. I'm over here with my parents, their muggle dentists, and their here in London at the moment for a job at Kings College. Kings College is a muggle university, and their both there now for something to do with the job, and so I'm here to check out Dia…' Hermione was cut off by James from carrying on.

`Whoa there, Hermione. There's plenty of time left for you're life story another day…' James said teasingly making Hermione give him a playful punch. Hermione blushed a little bit after doing this, she couldn't believe how at ease she already felt with these two. They reminded her of two big kids as they pretended to look shocked at her little punch, James rubbing his arm like it had been stung.

`So, Hermione from Beauxbatons, what were you doing before James here practically attacked you on the street?' Sirius said teasingly, but James had nudged him in the side and mumbled `watch out' at which the two spun around to greet someone. The woman walked up to the three of them giving Sirius and James a suspicious look before turning to Hermione and looking curiously at her. Hermione naturally recognized the woman, by her red hair and green eyes, as Lily Potter and gave her a smile. She gave Hermione a smile and spoke kindly to her.

`These two aren't bothering you, are they…?' Lily asked.

`It's Hermione, and no their not. James saved me from falling over just now' Hermione said nicely back, she wasn't sure why but she wanted this woman to like her.

`Ever the hero…' Lily said sternly to James, her voice telling Hermione that she was suspicious that they were up to something, and by the look on their two faces Hermione could tell that she had had a lot of reasons to in the past `And I bet Sirius was just as helpful?' she said turning her attention to Sirius who just looked away and mumbled something that Hermione couldn't hear. Lily turned back to her and gave her a friendly smile `I'm Lily, pleased to meet you Hermione' James gave her a peck on the cheek before talking.

`Hermione was just telling us how it's her first time in Diagon Alley and she's here all alone…I was just thinking that she might join us?' James said pleadingly to his wife, giving her a second kiss on the cheek when he finished. A small smile that crept over Lily's face that told Hermione that Lily adored the pair of them, even when she thought they were up to no good. Lily paused for a moment before turning to Hermione and speaking.

`If you'd like to come you're more than welcome, and I promise that James and Sirius will behave!' Lily said teasingly as the two of them broke into a genuine frown causing Hermione to laugh.

`Oh, don't worry…I don't want to put you all out…' she said, she didn't want to be a third wheel.

`Nonsense, Hermione, we'd be more than glad too. We're just about to have lunch in the pub. And it's not just us oldies either, there's plenty of people you're age there as well' Lily said friendly taking her arm and starting to lead her away, before she was led completely away though she could see James and Sirius sharing a look and a smirk.

Lily pulled her quickly through the crowds giving her a verbal tour of Ollivander's, Flourish and Blotts and the other shops in Diagon Alley. Hermione couldn't quite take everything that was happening in, she was just an ordinary witch from Beauxbatons and now she was being pulled through busy Diagon Alley with perhaps the three most famous witches and wizards in the world. Lily didn't seem to notice how everyone watched them, as they whispered things as they saw them. James and Sirius though marched through the crowd behind the pair of them like heroes, occasionally waving majestically to people in the crowd, Hermione had to laugh when she caught Sirius' eye and realized that the pair of them were just enjoying themselves while playing the hero.

Too quickly Hermione found herself in a room full of tables and people talking and laughing with their friends, evidently this was where she was to have lunch. The bar tender came up to them and spoke directly to Lily.

`Good to see you again, everyone's at your usual table' he said friendly to Lily who just nodded as she looked around. Hermione noticed that James and Sirius had already run off to a table and greeted some people who were already there who Hermione couldn't really see. Lily led Hermione across the room to the table, where Sirius had someone enveloped in a huge hug.

`Hermione, I'd like you to meet Ron Weasley, Ron this is Hermione…' Lily said introducing her to a tall red head. He looked at her curiously and Hermione had a strange feeling of familiarity float through her when she looked at him.

`Hi Hermione' Ron said friendly and shook her hand, he held her hand for a moment longer than necessary before letting go.

`Nice to meet you, Ron. Um…you've got something on you're cheek' she said trying to be nice as she noticed a smudge stain on his face. Ron however blushed furiously and just stared at her making her feel a little awkward.

`We picked her up of the streets!' Sirius interrupted proudly with his hands on her shoulders nodding friendly to Ron who sat back down at the table looking at a menu `I must say James and I do have impeccable taste while shopping!' Hermione spun around and stared at Sirius.

`And I guess you see me as you're new purchase?' Hermione said mock sternly to Sirius with her hands on her hips.

`And a very good one!' Sirius teased back sticking out his tongue in a childish fashion causing Hermione to break into a laugh.

`Hermione, I want you to meet someone…' James said grabbing Hermione by the arm and pulling her round to meet someone else. She was amazed at the young man in front of her, he was the spitting image of James, just younger and with Lily's gorgeous green eyes. Hermione could tell that he worked out as he was well built at about 6 foot, looking into those gorgeous green eyes Hermione knew she could trust this man and that he was a good person `This is Harry, my son'

`Hi, Harry, I'm Hermione' Hermione said simply offering her hand to him, but Harry didn't react. Instead he just stared at her with such intensity that she began to blush. It took a few moments of awkwardness before Hermione could tear herself from looking at him to speak again `You're Dad and Sirius grabbed me from the streets and ordered me here' she said friendly to him, hoping to get any reaction from him. The reaction took a few moments to come as Harry physically shook his head and smiled at her.

`Hermione. It's good to meet you, and I apologize for anything they did. It is the Marauders way after all!' Harry said friendly taking Hermione's still outstretched hand and shaking it.

`The Marauders?' Hermione asked confused, something in the name seemed to interest her, like she had heard it somewhere before.

`You haven't heard of the Marauders!' Sirius interrupted in dramatic shock pulling Hermione to an empty seat next to him, Harry quickly took the seat next to hers and tried to share in the conversation `The Marauders are from Hogwarts, a band of only the best of the best are allowed to join, only 4 members are known to have in their entire history! Well, their target is to create havoc and mayhem for the purpose of the benefit of all people, the search for goodness and fun!' Sirius told the story dramatically, Hermione was listening raptly but couldn't help but have a part of her mind on the young man next to her, the young man who she could feel staring at her.

`So who are the Marauders?' She asked seriously, suspecting she already knew at least two of the members.

`Well that's what makes the legend so intriguing…' Sirius said lowering his voice to barely more than a whisper `Everyone that has found out has never spread word, and no member has ever broken the secret either…any single person could be a Marauder and you'd never find out…' Sirius whispered so softly that Hermione now had to stretch closely just to hear him. She couldn't believe that he could be telling this story so well if he was one himself, she must have guessed wrong. Suddenly a hand that grabbed her shoulder made her jump and let out a little scream, looking around she saw it was James that had grabbed her and she gave him a little playful hit on the arm for making her jump.

`Is he telling you the legend of the Marauders?' James asked Hermione, but Sirius answered for her.

`Yes I was, I think everyone should hear it then we could find out who they were and sign up ourselves!' he said weirdly to James. Hermione looked around and saw that everyone at the table had a grin on their faces like Hermione wasn't part of the joke.

`Don't worry about Sirius here, the Marauders aren't real. They're a made up Hogwarts myth, an urban legend. Sirius likes to see himself as one and is just obsessed with them…' James said confidently to Hermione, but a problem had sparked from this that Hermione had to ask.

`But it was Harry who brought them up?' she said confused, James however only smiled.

`Well when we made Sirius Harry's godfather we knew things like this would happen, thus I must take responsibility for Harry's stupidity' James said with a sad little shake of the head.

`That's really hurtful, you know that James?' Sirius said `I'll let you know that I'm a great godfather, probably the best ever!' Sirius said with mock hurt.

`Of course you are, Beloved Godfather' Harry spoke up throwing James a pretend angry look `Now I suggest we order, otherwise Ron might just get so hungry he eats our plates.'

`Then Sirius can eat from a dog dish, we all know how he loves to do that' Lily said, which the whole group laughed loudly to, even Sirius was giving his bark like laugh, the laugh that Hermione assumed must of made the joke funny.

As everyone sat down Hermione looked around at the group that had practically abducted her from her trip to Diagon Alley and couldn't help but smile to herself. She was sat with three living legends in the Potters and Sirius, the superstars of the wizarding world. All of them who seemed determined to adopt her into their lives, seemingly on the whim of James and Sirius. And as of James and Sirius, it was incredibly shocking to finally meet them, they had been billed as two of the saviors of the world, along with Dumbledore and Lily, and Hermione had always thought of them as dusty old respectable men, not the two practical teenagers they actually were. They were such mischief makers that she found herself instantly drawn to them, amazing for the school prefect she inherently was. And Lily was amazing, so friendly to a complete stranger to invite her into their lives, and she had to respect anyone who could put up with the antics of James and Sirius for so long. Ron and Harry also seemed great, Ron was a friendly joker while Harry was the more serious of the two. Hermione felt a small blush creep through her face when she thought of Harry, she could feel a strange feeling of butterflies she had never felt before. All in all she couldn't quite believe what had just happened to her, she was never very popular at school, many people had called her a `know-it-all' and now she was sat at the table of the most fascinating and friendly people she had ever met. She didn't know if destiny had only this afternoon in store for her to spend with these people, or many years to come, but she knew that she must enjoy the time she had, for to not enjoy people such as this was surely a crime. Or at least it should be a crime. One last question played upon her mind, who were the Marauders?

****()_____()****

Harry stared at the girl next to him, laughing as his godfather did his impression of Ron eating, a favorite of his where he spent a minute rubbing food across his face. Harry had quickly found out that he couldn't bear not to look at Hermione, he didn't know why but he knew he had to keep her in his life. The moment he had met her he had found himself lost for words and just kept staring into those big beautiful brown eyes that she wore so brilliantly. Harry knew she was a beautiful girl, with her big brown hair tied back to show her perfect delicate features. Her petite frame didn't fool anyone into thinking she was a defenseless little girl, she was even able to keep his dad and Sirius under control, a feat only ever mastered by his mother, and a feat even Dumbledore had failed miserably at. The two of them seemed drawn to her, most people were bashful when meeting the famous James and Sirius, but this young girl was arguing back at them and scolding them for things like she had always been in their lives. To say she amazed Harry was a massive underestimation, Harry had never felt like this before in his life. They had spent the last couple hours just talking and laughing around the table, it was now getting late, and the evening still felt like it had only just started. If Harry could get his way he would keep this new girl in his life the whole night, before she ran of back to her own world. Harry had noticed that Sirius and his dad had taken to whispering every now and again and he knew it must be about Hermione, he just didn't know what the Marauders had in store for the girl, and he hoped she could take their jokes. Harry laughed to himself when he realized that he should be hoping that they can defend themselves because Hermione was evidently a match for them and wasn't going to be a star struck fan letting them get away with anything.

`Look at the time everyone, its half 7!' Lily called across the table. Harry found himself groaning and was amazed, it must have been the first time he had wanted to miss watching a Quidditch game in his life. Obviously by the groaning coming from everyone that they all felt the same.

`Hermione's coming, isn't she?' Harry asked thanking his maker that he had been able to keep the panic out of his voice, Harry nearly laughed as he saw Sirius and James faces light up at the idea, Hermione though was the first to speak.

`I don't think so, Harry' she said kindly looking at him. He felt his heart jump as she looked straight into his eyes, luckily he had never been one for blushing too much otherwise his face would have exploded at this moment.

`Come on Hermione!' Sirius pleaded, Harry hated his godfather for a moment as Hermione took her eyes of his and onto him `We can get you tickets, we are the `chosen ones' after all' he said laughing, obviously sure that Hermione was going to agree.

`I'm sorry, I really want to, it's just my parents expected me back at 6 and it's already 7' she said, Harry could tell that she was genuinely miserable for having to call it an end to the day `and we have plans for dinner out tonight…'

The whole table looked a bit dejected before Lily spoke up.

`Well then you'll have to come next time, and we won't take no for an answer!' Lily said strictly to Hermione.

Harry had fallen into silent thoughts as he tried to come up with a plan to get Hermione on his own, he watched as she made her way around everyone saying goodbye, writing down something on a piece of paper for his dad and Sirius before coming up to him.

`Hey, Harry' she said looking at him again, he tried to clear his throat but dammed himself for his inability to speak while she looked at him `I'm off, it's been good to see you' she turned to leave and panic spread through Harry like an explosion

`Stop!' Harry said loudly to her, making her spin back around.

`What is it, Harry?' Hermione asked looking at him again, all Harry could think of doing was being direct as she was much too clever for him to lie to, convincingly at least.

`I have to see you tomorrow! I haven't met anyone like you before, ever, and to let you walk out now and never see you again would be stupid of me. And Sirius has always taught me that stupidity is good in small doses, not a huge dose like this mistake would be. Tell me what I have to do to see you tomorrow and I'll do it…' Harry asked seriously. Hermione paused looking at him in deep thought for a few moments.

`How about this then…' she started and Harry sat up straight, desperate not to miss a word of what he had to do `You come up with what you have to do, then do it, and then I'll tell you if that's enough? That's the best you're getting from me so I'd take it!' she said teasingly before giving him a smile and turning back on the group, who Harry realized were now watching with their mouths ajar at Harry's words. `Bye everyone, I'll see you soon' and with a crack she disapparated. Although Harry wasn't much for blushing he found himself quickly doing it as everyone continues to stare at him in shock.

`I guess that answered that question! Ron, you owe me a Galleon…' Sirius said brightly.

****_____()()()_____****

Hey, hope you enjoyed it…please review! I need feedback, what was good and what was bad…Please?


-->