Unofficial Portkey Archive

Home for Christmas by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Home for Christmas

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: First of all, we'd like to wish you all a Merry Christmas. This is our first attempt at writing a non Dirty Dancing universe so we hope that you will like it. This is a one-shot so don't expect any sequels to it. We mean it this time! As always, please read and review. And thanks to Misti (Miscard) for reading an excerpt on the Harmony Podcast. If you haven't downloaded the podcasts, please do. She does an amazing job!

From his bedroom, Harry Potter could hear the muffled sounds of his best friend Ron Weasley arguing with his sister about Christmas presents. He was too knackered to reach for his wand and cast a silencing charm on the room. And the last thing he wanted to do was peek his head out of the door and tell them to be quiet. He had a feeling that if he did so, Ginny would invite herself into his bedroom and that was the last thing he needed or wanted at the moment.

With a frustrated sigh, Harry grabbed a pillow and put it over his head, hoping that would do the trick and block out the Weasleys' bickering. It did for a few moments, but he was also aware of an insistent tapping at his window.

"Leave me alone," he grumbled, trying to ignore the sound.

The tapping continued and Harry resigned himself to the fact that perhaps he wasn't meant to enjoy a lie-in today. Angrily, he threw back the covers and grabbed his glasses from the bedside table.

An owl peered at him in a rather annoyed fashion as he finally opened the window. It dropped an envelope on his desk before swooping over to perch near Hedwig.

The scowl on his face quickly changed into a smile as he recognised the familiar, neat script of his female best friend.

"It's about time," he muttered to himself as he tore into the envelope.

Dear Harry-

I know it's been awhile since I've written, I've just been so busy with my classes and with working at my University bookstore that I've barely had time to sit down. My Arithmancy class is quite fascinating, as is Advanced Expert Charms and Ancient Runes of Egypt.

I also wanted to tell you that I won't be coming home for Christmas this year- too much to do. Perhaps we'll try again next year.

Give everyone my best!

Hermione

Harry read the letter once more. This was the third Christmas in a row that Hermione had missed. In fact, it had been three years since he or Ron had seen their best friend. His thoughts were interrupted by a knock on the door and before he could call out, Ginny had stepped inside.

"You're up," she said warmly. "I brought breakfast. Come on!"

"Hi," Harry muttered, running his hands through his hair. "Could I get dressed first?"

"I kind of like you this way," she said with a wink. "Need some help?"

"No thanks," Harry said, grabbing a shirt and yanking it over his head.

Ginny giggled. "I brought your favourite---blackberry cream scones. If you don't get in the kitchen soon, my idiot brother will have eaten them all."

Harry managed a small smile as he tucked Hermione's letter into his pocket.

Ginny grabbed Harry's hand and led him out of the bedroom. "You can talk some sense into Ron. He seems to think it would be a good idea to give Mum a Cannons jersey for Christmas."

"It's his gift to her," Harry said. "Let him do what he wants."

"Mum would never wear it," Ginny argued rolling her eyes.

"She would since it came from me," Ron said as they came into the kitchen. "And remind me why you had to come over here at the arse crack of dawn, Gin?"

"What time is it?" Harry yawned, helping himself to some coffee.

"Just gone seven," Ginny said brightly.

"Too damn early to be up," Ron grumbled.

"Tell me about it," Harry slumped in a chair. "Here," he said, handing Hermione's letter to Ron.

Ron unfolded the letter and read it while Ginny peered over his shoulder. "Can't say this is a surprise," Ron said when he finished reading. "She's not been home in ages."

"I know," Harry said. "I just thought this year she might have changed her mind."

"Don't worry," Ginny told him. "We'll still have a great Christmas without her."

"I guess," Harry replied, moving aside as she tried to squeeze in next to him.

"Which reminds me," Ginny said. "A couple of my friends from the shoppe are going to the tree lighting tomorrow evening. I was wondering if you might want to come, Harry?"

"I can't," Harry said. "I have an um... meeting."

"Why would he want to hang out with those daft airheads, anyway?" Ron asked his sister. "Not my idea of a good time, Gin."

"They're my friends Ronald," Ginny glared at him.

"Sorry," Harry got up, sharing a glance with Ron. Things had been over between him and Ginny for quite some time but she had never seemed to accept that.

Ginny watched as Harry picked up Hermione's letter again. "I think maybe you two need to accept the fact that Hermione's basically turned her back on us. After what happened, I can't say as I blame her. "

Harry spun around. "Voldemort destroyed her home and killed her parents and I couldn't stop him all right!"

Ginny recoiled, surprised by his tone. "That wasn't your fault, Harry. You had no idea he was going to do that and I hardly think Hermione should blame you for it."

"She doesn't blame him for it," Ron snapped at his sister. "How could you say something like that?"

Harry shook his head as Ginny tried to find her words. "I'm out of here," he muttered, leaving his coffee cup on the counter and snatching Hermione's letter up on the way out.

He slammed his bedroom door and sank back down on the bed. Ginny's words had definitely cut him. Hermione had never come right out and said it, but perhaps she did blame him for what had happened to her parents.

"I can't believe you said that to him," Ron glared at his sister.

"You just concentrate on Luna and leave Harry and me alone," Ginny said sitting down in Harry's vacant chair.

"There is no Harry and you," Ron said shaking his head. "There hasn't been for quite some time."

"I can change that," Ginny hissed. "He just needs to remember how good things were when we were together!"

"What, the whole two weeks?" Ron asked sarcastically.

Ginny snatched the scone out of his hand and threw it back in the box. "Those weren't for you!"

Ron rolled his eyes. "Whatever," he said. "I'm going to take a shower."

Ginny glared at her brother's retreating back. What did he know anyway, she thought bitterly. She and Harry never had the opportunity for a normal relationship. Now was their chance and she wasn't about to let that chance slip by. She tiptoed back to his bedroom and opened the door. To her dismay, he was packing.

"Are you going somewhere?" she asked quietly.

"I have to go find Hermione," Harry said. "She needs a friend."

"Obviously she doesn't want to see you and Ron," Ginny said gently. "You should respect her wishes, Harry."

Harry gave her a cold stare. "I know what she's thinking better than you do."

"You haven't seen her for three years," Ginny said sitting down on the edge of the bed. "When she does write, it's not very personal, is it? I think you should just accept that Hermione isn't a part of your life anymore."

"I don't think so," Harry said brusquely.

Ginny folded her arms and pouted at him, but he ignored her as he continued to pack his clothes in his suitcase. "How long are you going to be gone? You'll be back for dinner at Mum and Dad's right?"

"I don't know," Harry said impatiently. "I'm going to find Hermione and I'm going to bring her back. I don't care how long it takes. I don't have anything keeping me here."

"Well, I fully expect to tell you that I told you so when you come back alone," Ginny said icily.

"Why should you care?" Harry asked, rounding on her. "Ginny you were her friend too. Now it's like you don't want her around."

"You've got that backward," Ginny answered. "She's the one who doesn't want us around! I feel sorry for what happened to her, but she's really treated us all quite badly. You, most of all."

Harry shook his head disgustedly. "Is this what you're really like Ginny?" he asked coolly. "You only care about yourself and what your friends can get you?"

"You're twisting this around," Ginny protested. "Harry--"

"No I'm not," Harry held his hand up. "Look... it's obvious you expected us to pick up where we left off after I got rid of Voldemort. Hell, after Dumbledore's funeral, I even thought that at first. But things changed Ginny. I changed. And I can't go back to how things were before."

"You can for her though?" Ginny asked coldly.

"Hermione was there for me when no one else was," Harry said, shutting his suitcase. "She believed me and stood up for me, she risked expulsion and all the things important to her because she believed in me. I think it's time I returned that favour."

"Harry---" Ginny began.

"No," Harry shook his head. "You may have been my girlfriend at one point, but no one's been there for me like she has."

Tears welled up in Ginny's eyes. "When are you going?"

"Right now," Harry replied.

"And if she doesn't want to see you?" Ginny asked.

Harry shrugged, not wanting to admit he hadn't thought that far yet.

"I-I'll tell Ron for you," she said looking down at the carpet.

"Thanks," he said. "I'll um... I guess I'll see you..."

"Happy Christmas, Harry," Ginny said, but he'd already disapparated.

Harry had a general idea of where Hermione lived- he knew that after her parents had died she'd sold off where their home had been and moved to a small flat.

He held her letter in his hand, wishing there was a way it could point him directly to her.

Just outside of London, Hermione Granger was already up, fully dressed, and facing her day. She didn't have class until late that afternoon, and she had the day off from work so she decided to curl up on the sofa in the sitting room and work on deciphering some of her Ancient Runes.

Her flatmate, Abby, came out of her bedroom, a suitcase and two bags levitating behind her.

"You ready to go?" Hermione asked with a smile. "You're going to have so much fun Abby. Christmas in Brazil!"

"I'm all packed," Abby said using her wand to set her bags down by the door. "I still wish you were coming with. We'd love to have you."

"It's okay," Hermione stared down at her work. "I've got… plenty to keep me occupied."

"You are such a work-a-holic," Abby said shaking her head. "I'm going to go and put these in the car. Be right back."

"All right," Hermione shook her head.

Since their building was also inhabited by Muggles, Abby had charmed her luggage to be much lighter than it actually was and she had to trouble lugging them out of the building. She noticed a man clutching a letter and staring up at the building.

"Looking for something?" she asked setting her bags down on the step.

"I'm not sure," he said. "Does um... does someone named Hermione Granger live here?"

"Depends on who's asking," Abby said staring at him. There was something familiar about him and she was certain she'd seen his face somewhere before. Comprehension dawned on her as she saw the scar on his forehead. "Harry Potter?"

"Uh... yeah..." he gave her a sheepish smile.

Abby smiled back at him. "I'm Hermione's flatmate."

Harry stared at her. "You are?" he asked, gulping. He hadn't expected to find her that easily.

She nodded. "If you help me with these, I'll take you upstairs."

"Okay," Harry said. "I didn't catch your name?"

"Abby," she said smiling at him. "Hermione's told me a lot about you."

"She has?" Harry was surprised.

Abby nodded and she and Harry managed to load her luggage into the boot of the car. "She's not the easiest person to get to know, but she's been a good friend to me."

"She was the same for me," Harry said quietly.

"Maybe you can get her to spend Christmas away from her books," Abby said leading the way back into the building.

"She's still quite the reader is she?" Harry asked with a smile.

"She is," Abby said. "The first two months we lived together, I never saw her without one."

"That sure sounds like her," Harry replied. "I was hoping to get her to come back for Christmas but she didn't want to."

"So you brought Christmas to her," Abby said smiling at him. "I think I should warn you, she's not really into the holiday. We don't even have a tree. "

"You don't?" Harry stared at her. "No tree?"

"No nothing," Abby said ruefully. "I'm leaving for Brazil and she never wants to decorate for the holiday."

Harry chewed on his lower lip for a moment. "Look maybe... perhaps..."

"Here we are," Abby interjected opening the door. "Hermione! Come here!"

Hermione sighed and closed her book. "Ab, I really need to finish this chapter."

"But there's someone here to see you!" Abby sang out.

"This had better not be---" Hermione said coming around the corner. She stopped in her tracks when she saw the man standing beside Abby. "Harry--"

"Hermione..." he seemed dumbstruck at the sight of her.

"W-what are you doing here?" she asked weakly.

"He was standing down on the street looking like a lost little puppy," Abby said before Harry could answer. "He asked me I knew where you lived. Can you believe that? Talk about luck, eh?"

"Yeah," Hermione said staring at her best friend. It had been three years since she'd seen him last. His hair was a bit shorter, but still as unruly as ever.

"You look great," he said, unable to take his eyes off her. "You really do..."

"I need to go check in with Tim to see when we're leaving," Abby said realising they might want some privacy.

"What are you doing here?" Hermione asked again when they were alone. "I sent you an owl this morning--"

"I know, that's why I'm here," Harry replied. "Hermione--"

"I really am quite busy," she said resisting the urge to give him a hug. It had been so long since she'd seen him. "Maybe we can get together sometime in the New Year. You shouldn't have come all this way, Harry. "

"Hermione you live just outside London," Harry said. "Once I put a tracing charm on your letter it wasn't hard to figure out where you lived..."

"Did you ever think that if I wanted you to know where I was, I would have told you?" she asked him.

He looked properly shamed and scuffed his foot along the floor.

"I'm trying to start over," she said quietly.

"Start over from what?" Harry asked. "Hermione, you don't have to push us away to grieve here..."

"You wouldn't understand," she said dismissively. As soon as she said it, she felt bad. If anyone would know what it was like to lose their parents, it would be Harry.

This wasn't going as he'd hoped at all. "Ron really misses you," he said lamely. "He's been dating Luna Lovegood for about two years now."

"That's great," Hermione said forcing a smile. "She did always fancy him."

"Yeah he's really happy with her," Harry said, twisting his hands together nervously.

"And you and Ginny?" Hermione asked, not sure she wanted to know about their relationship.

Harry shook his head. "There's no 'me and Ginny'," he replied. "Not really since Dumbledore's funeral."

"Oh," Hermione said in surprise. She'd been sure that they'd pick right back up where they'd left off.

"Yeah," Harry said awkwardly. "So um..."

It was strange to be this way with him; so unsure of what to say or to do. They'd always been comfortable around each other.

She looked at her watch. "I'm sorry, but I have to go."

"You do?" he asked in dismay.

"Yes," she said walking back toward the sitting room. She grabbed her books and threw them into her bag. "You really didn't give me much time, Harry. I had no idea you were going to come here."

"I know but Hermione... we haven't seen each other for three years." he said, touching her arm. "I've really missed you."

She wanted to tell him that she felt the same. She wanted to tell him so much, but she couldn't let him in now when she's worked so hard to keep him away.

"I'm sorry," she said weakly. "But I have to go."

"You're not going to run away are you?" Harry asked her directly.

Hermione looked at him as if he'd slapped her. "I have to go." With that, she grabbed her cloak and nearly ran out of the flat. A part of him wanted to go after her.

"Great," he muttered, sitting down heavily on the sofa.

At the sound of the door, Abby came out of her bedroom. She was surprised to see Harry alone in the sitting room. "She left?"

"Ran out like the place was on fire," Harry said gloomily.

"It's not you," Abby said reassuringly. "She really misses her parents, especially this time of year. I think your coming here stirred up some memories she wasn't really ready to deal with, Harry."

"I'm really not so good at this sort of thing," Harry said. "My parents died when I was a year old so I never really had to 'deal' with it you know?"

Abby nodded sympathetically. "Just be her friend. That's what she needs."

"Do you think she'll mind if I stick around?" Harry asked. "What time does she normally come back?"

"Usually around seven," Abby said. "You're welcome to stay as long as you want. I have to go, though. I'm meeting my boyfriend at the airport."

"Right," Harry said. "Thanks Abby." he smiled at her. "Listen- do you mind if I go and get a few Christmas decorations for the place?"

She shook her head and smiled back at him. "I'll let you have my key."

"That would be great," Harry said.

She handed it to him and smiled back at him. "She'll probably be cross with me..."

"I'll let her take it out on me," Harry said with a grin.

"Good luck," Abby said grabbing her cloak. "Happy Christmas, Harry."

"You too Abby," Harry shook her hand. "It was nice to meet you."

Hermione spent the rest of the afternoon, trying to concentrate on her classes. Harry's hurt expression and sad eyes kept passing through her mind. She'd wanted it this way, hadn't she? To be left alone? To not let anyone else in? If that was true, why had it hurt so much?

She put off going home as long as she could but early that evening she finally found herself heading back towards her flat, wondering if Harry was still there.

When Harry heard the key in the door, he quickly finished hanging the last decoration and said a silent prayer that she wouldn't throw him out of the flat.

"Hello?" Hermione called out softly as she let herself in.

"In here," Harry called back.

"I'm surprised you're still... here..." Hermione stopped short at the sight of her sitting room. "Harry..." she breathed.

He stood back so she could see the Christmas tree. "It's not the best tree," he admitted sheepishly. "But it's the best I could do so close to Christmas."

"You..." she seemed unable to process a single thought. "You decorated my flat for Christmas?"

He nodded and looked at her as she watched as she walked around the room. "I saved the angel though. I thought you might like to do the honours."

Hermione was touched that he'd done this for her but she shook her head. "I don't really like to celebrate the holidays anymore."

"Come on, Hermione," he said handing the angel to her. "I remember that you used to love everything about Christmas. You used to drive Ron and me mad, you know."

"That was until my parents died," Hermione replied. "After that it just didn't seem to matter anymore."

"Do you remember that Christmas during fifth year?" he asked her suddenly.

"What about it?" she asked, her arms crossed.

"You left to go on holiday with your parents," Harry said. "But you came back...."

"We were at Grimmauld Place, and it was right after Mr. Weasley got bitten," Hermione finished.

"I had holed myself upstairs in that room vowing that I wouldn't come out," he said. "But you wouldn't let me do that."

"I came and got you out," Hermione gave him a tiny smile.

"No one else could," he said smiling back at her. "But you did. You've been the best friend I could have ever asked for. And I wanted to start being the same for you, Hermione."

"Thanks Harry," Hermione managed a slightly bigger smile this time. "I guess I couldn't avoid you guys forever..."

"No," Harry said with a laugh. "So, what do you say? Want to put that angel on the top of the tree? I'll even give you a boost."

Hermione looked at the tree topper in his hand. "Okay," she agreed quietly.

"Great," he said handing it back to her. "And you'll be happy to know, I decorated this whole thing the Muggle way. No magic. Of course, that led to some terrible swearing when I tried to untangle those bloody lights."

That brought a laugh out of her, startling them both. Hermione realised she hadn't truly laughed like that in a long time.

"Next year, you can untangle the lights," Harry said chuckling. "See how much better you do."

"I'd be smart and use my wand," Hermione responded as he boosted her up to set the angel on top of the tree.

"Cheater," Harry teased. "High enough?"

"Yes," she said, trying not to wiggle too much. "There!" she said in satisfaction.

Harry set her down and they both stood and admired the tree. "Well, Miss Granger, what do you think? Pass inspection?"

"Yeah," Hermione said softly. "Looks like the tree I had back at home..."

"Better than the ones we used to have," Harry commented, eager to keep the atmosphere light and not to bring up any bad memories for Hermione. "Uncle Vernon always bought the cheapest, dodgiest tree."

She nodded. "Would you like some tea?"

"You sit down," he said. "I'll get it."

"You've been decorating," Hermione protested.

"You've been in class all day and working," Harry argued. "Get comfortable, Hermione. That's an order."

As she watched him head into the kitchen, she was suddenly struck by exactly how much she had missed Harry. His smile, his laugh, and the way he stood... Hermione realised for the first time in three years just how badly she needed her best friend.

A few moments later, he returned to the sitting room carrying a tray of tea and biscuits. "Here we go."

"Thank you," Hermione said as he set the tray down. She reached forward and hugged him hard. "I should have done this before. I'm sorry I ran out on you this morning Harry."

"It's okay," he said holding her close. Something in him awoken as he smelled her hair and felt her arms around his waist. "I took you by surprise."

"I've really missed you," she said as tears sprang to her eyes.

"I missed you too," he said pulling away slightly so he could look at her. "Don't cry, Hermione. I never have liked seeing you cry."

"I can't help it," she sniffled. "It just hit me how much I've missed you Harry."

"I've missed you, too," he said cupping her face in his hands.

They stared at each other a few moments before Hermione looked down. "So um..." she began. "What are you doing these days?"

"Um, well not much of anything really," Harry admitted.

"Where do you work?" Hermione asked.

Harry scratched the back of his neck. "I don't."

Hermione looked surprised. "Why not?"

"I always thought I'd be an Auror once this was all over," Harry replied. "And then I found out it was going to take three years for the training. I'd just spent seven years of my life preparing to fight Voldemort. I just didn't want to give up a big chunk of my life so soon after that."

"I can understand that," Hermione nodded.

He smiled. "I'm glad you do, no one else seems to. Mrs. Weasley thinks I should be doing something with my time. Lupin keeps telling me I should thinking about Auror training and Ron wants me to take up Quidditch like him."

"You never really enjoyed the spotlight," Hermione pointed out. "So you wouldn't want to go into Quidditch. You should do what will make you happy, not what everyone else wants you to do."

Harry sat down on the sofa and grinned at her. "You know me too well."

"Some would say I know you too well," Hermione replied. "Well maybe not anymore..."

"You do," Harry said pouring them both a cup of tea. "Always have, always will. And you're the only person I can talk to about things like this."

"I feel as if things between us have changed, but they're still the same..." Hermione said thoughtfully.

He nodded. "Me, too." They again locked eyes, but this time he was the one who looked away. There was something so comfortable and familiar about being here with her. "So, um, are you seeing anyone?"

She blushed. "No," she answered. "How about you?"

"No," he said shaking his head. "Ron and Luna are always trying to set me up, though. And there's Ginny..."

"So you two never got back together," Hermione said. "I'm surprised to hear that."

"Why?" Harry asked.

"You just... seemed so crazy about her in 6th year," Hermione said. "It's like you were under a love potion or something."

"That did kind of come out of nowhere, didn't it?" Harry asked with a hollow laugh.

"From you yes," Hermione said. "Not so much from her."

"She said that you told her to be more like herself around me instead of some girl with a crush," Harry said. He was surprised to see the bewildered look on Hermione's face. "You---you didn't tell her that?"

"I never talked to her about you," Hermione said. "Except for when I told her to leave you alone... it was right after Sirius... after he disappeared... she wanted to go comfort you but I told her to let you grieve."

"But she said---" Harry said, his voice trailing off. "She lied."

"Ginny really changed didn't she," Hermione said quietly.

Harry did not respond. He couldn't believe Ginny had lied. She'd made it seem as if Hermione had been their big champion. He wondered what else she had possibly lied to him about. She had also been the one to tell him over and over again how much Ron had fancied Hermione back then.

"I'm an idiot," he finally said. "A complete idiot."

"You are not," Hermione said. "You're just... you always want to believe the best about people Harry."

"And we see how great that's worked for me," Harry said with a wry smile.

Hermione reached for his hand and squeezed it.

"Enough about Ginny," he said. "When I was at the shops earlier, I bought some Christmas music. You want to hear it?"

"Sure," she agreed.

"Alright," Harry said grinning at her. He walked over to the stereo. "I was sort of listening to it while I was decorating the tree."

"That's fine," Hermione said. "That thing hardly ever gets any use."

"It's time we changed all that," Harry said as music filled the room.

"This is nice," Hermione smiled at him. "Good choice Harry."

He sat back down beside her and they listened to the music in silence. Every now and then, Harry snuck a look at Hermione. The light from the fire seemed to illuminate her face and brought out the gold flecks in her eyes.

"What?" she asked, catching him glancing over at her.

"Nothing," he muttered wondering what on earth was happening to him. It was just because he hadn't seen her in such a long time, he told himself.

"Oh," she said, clasping her hands together and looking over at the tree he'd bought and decorated.

"Probably would have been more fun if we'd decorated it together," he said softly.

"I haven't celebrated Christmas since my parents died," Hermione whispered.

"If this is too hard for you, I can take it down," he said taking her hand.

"No," she shook her head as tears sprang to her eyes again.

"I'm sorry," he said. "I wish I could have stopped him, Hermione. If I had known..."

"I don't blame you," she said, wiping her eyes. "I never blamed you Harry."

"How could you not?" Harry asked her. "If you hadn't been my friend..."

"I made the choice to be your friend the moment I set eyes on you when we were eleven, on the train." Hermione replied. "You and Ron were my first real friends and that meant more to me than anything."

"You and Ron were my first friends too," Harry said softly inching closer to her. "And I never would have made it through any of that without you."

"We were all important to each other," Hermione said, tears still pooled in her eyes.

"Why did you leave?" Harry asked. "We would have helped you, Hermione. We would have been there for you."

"I just couldn't face the Wizarding world anymore," Hermione looked down at her lap. "I packed up what I could from my parents' house and I just left."

"And Ron and me?" Harry asked, knowing he was treading on dangerous ground, but he had to know.

"Harry please," Hermione said. "Don't make me rehash all this now..."

"Hermione," Harry said putting his hand on her arm. "I thought that you blamed me. I thought that was why you stayed away."

She shook her head as her face crumpled. "I swear Harry, I never ever blamed you!"

"Why did you shut me out?" he asked. "Please, I have to know."

"Don't make me do this," Hermione said letting go of his hand.

"Why?" he persisted.

"You shouldn't have come here," she said quietly.

"Hermione you need us," Harry said. "And we need you."

"I don't want to need you," she said rounding on him. "That's what I've been trying to do for the past three years, Harry!"

"What's so wrong about needing your friends?" Harry asked.

"I can't let you back in, Harry," Hermione said wiping at her eyes. "I can't. Just go, okay? Just go back to the Burrow and have that nice, family Christmas okay? You shouldn't be here!"

"No," Harry shook his head. "I'm not going anywhere without you."

"Please," she said pushing him away. "Go!"

"No!" he grabbed her arms.

"Let me go, Harry!" Hermione said, squirming. "Let me---"

She never got to finish her sentence because Harry pulled her to him and kissed her.

At first, she was so surprised by what he'd done that she couldn't move. But as he pulled her even closer, she began kissing him back.

Harry wrapped his arms around her waist keeping her as close as possible.

She pulled away to catch her breath and stared at him with a dazed expression. The rational part of her brain was trying to tell her to stop this before it went too far. For once, she didn't want to be rational. She leaned in and kissed him again.

Harry propelled them over to the sofa, letting her fall on top of him. He wove his fingers through her hair- she still wore it long and bushy after all these years- and crushed her lips to his.

Hermione kissed him back just as fiercely, clinging on to him as if any moment someone would pry them apart. Without breaking the kiss, she began unbuttoning his shirt.

He pulled his glasses off and dropped them onto the table as she pushed his shirt over his shoulders. He blinked up at her, her face even more beautiful as she stared at him, her eyes large and shining.

"I missed you," she whispered.

"I missed you too," he said, brushing her hair behind her ear. "I've thought about you every day Hermione."

She again felt tears welling up in her eyes. Harry's hands were on her waist. Slowly, she pulled her jumper off and tossed it to the floor. "I've...I've never done this before."

"I haven't either," he replied hoarsely.

Her eyes grew wide. "What? Not even with---"

"No," He shook his head. "I'd only do it with someone I truly cared about."

"And that's me?" she asked softly.

"Yeah," he said, running the back of his hand over her cheek. "I haven't been able to do anything with my life because you're not in it Hermione. I need you in my life."

Hermione smiled down at him. "I need you, too. So much."

"Will you come back home Hermione?" Harry asked, bringing her down to kiss her again. "Please say you'll come back with me."

"Harry, I don't know if I can face it again," she said honestly.

"I'll be there with you," he promised. "The whole way."

"I'll think about it," she said. "That's all I can give you now."

He nodded. "All right," he said. "All right- for now."

Hermione kissed him again.

"You are so beautiful," he said, moving his lips down her neck.

She'd never thought so, but the way he said it and the way he was kissing her, she believed him. "Don't stop, Harry."

"No," he said "I won't." Harry began to peel back her jumper.

She knew she should feel nervous or scared, but somehow she didn't. With Harry, she had always felt safe.

"This still okay?" he asked his breath hot on her skin.

"Better than okay," she answered. "Perfect."

A short while later, Harry pulled a blanket over them as they lay together on the sofa, trying to regain their breath. "That was amazing you know," he said kissing her on the forehead.

She smiled sleepily at him. "It was."

"You're amazing," he told her.

Hermione rested her head on his chest feeling content and happy for the first time since she'd lost her parents. "I can't believe we did this."

"I didn't exactly think we would when I came here," Harry said, stroking her hair. "But I'm really glad we did."

"So you didn't plan on seducing me with these Christmas decorations?" she asked giggling.

"Do you really think I'm capable of seducing?" he teased her.

"You got me, didn't you?" she asked laughing.

"For some reason I think I've always had you," Harry said, giving her a chaste kiss.

"You do, do you?" Hermione asked him.

"When I thought about my future," Harry said. "At the time, it was when I thought about IF I had a future, you were always there in it."

"As your best friend?" Hermione asked.

"That's what I used to think," Harry gazed directly into her eyes. "Now I think it's got to be more."

"I love you," she whispered.

"You do?" he asked, a smile appearing on his face. "Really?"

"Yes," she said nodding. "How could I not?"

"No one's ever told me that," he said. "I mean, I'm sure my parents did, but not since then..."

"You make it easy," she said softly.

"I have a Christmas gift for you," he said as he kissed her again.

She stared at him in surprise. "You've already given me so much..."

"It's just some Christmas decorations," Harry said, flushing.

"It's more than that and you know it," she said firmly.

"I love you too," he said intently.

"You didn't have to say it because I did," Hermione said.

"I said it because I mean it," Harry caught her chin.

Hermione beamed at him.

"Come on," he said, smiling back. "This is rightfully yours- I found it right after you left and I've been saving it for the day I saw you again."

Hermione sat up pulling the blanket tight around her. She felt guilty since she hadn't given him anything.

Harry slid into his boxers and pulled his shirt on. "It's in my bag," he said, digging around as Hermione pulled her own clothes on.

"Now, I'm curious," Hermione said smiling at him.

He turned red. "It's something I found, actually." he found the small box and handed it to her. "I'll get you a real Christmas present soon."

"I don't need anything else," she said unwrapping the box. She gasped when she saw what was inside. "How---?"

"I found it after you moved away," Harry said, looking at the delicate silver bracelet inside.

Hermione couldn't speak. The bracelet had been her mother's--the first present Hermione's father had ever given to her. Hermione had always loved that bracelet. Tears streamed down her face.

Harry looked at her anxiously. "Is it okay I kept it all this time?"

She nodded wordlessly.

He reached out and brushed her tears away. "Hermione..."

"Thank you," she said looking at him. "I-I never thought I'd see this again."

"I wish I'd thought to look for more," Harry said softly.

"Will you help me put it on?" she asked handing it to him.

"Of course," Harry said, fastening it.

"My dad gave this to my mum on their fourth date," Hermione said a smile playing on her lips. "It was her birthday and she thought he'd forgotten and Daddy teased her that he couldn't forget since she'd been reminding him everyday since they'd met."

"I can see why it's special to you," Harry said, brushing her hair behind her ear.

"Thank you for keeping this," she said softly.

"You're welcome," Harry smiled at her.

"I didn't get you anything," she said looking away. "I didn't expect to see you..."

"I know," Harry said, pulling her close. "I don't need you to give me anything. I just want you to trust me Hermione. I want things to go back to the way they were... I know that won't happen overnight but I've got to have you in my life now."

"Harry," she said looking up at him. "We---we can't go back to how we were before."

"Why not?" he asked.

She smiled shyly at him. "You didn't let me finish. We can't go back, but---but maybe we can start over?"

"Really?" he asked with a grin.

She nodded. "Tonight, you gave me back something I thought I had lost."

"I'm glad I was able to find it," he said, referring to the bracelet.

"I'm not talking about the bracelet," she said touching his arm.

"You aren't?" Harry asked with a typical male indifference.

"Hope," she said looking into his green eyes. "Faith, love, friendship. I didn't think I'd ever have those in my life again, Harry."

Harry drew her to him and kissed her deeply.

"Happy Christmas," she said softly when they pulled apart.

"You too," he replied.

"Tomorrow's Christmas Eve," she said leaning against him. "Are the Weasleys still having that big dinner?"

"Ginny was trying to get me to come back in time for it," Harry said ruefully. "I told her I wasn't coming back without you."

"I imagine she took that well," Hermione said still angry that Ginny had lied to Harry.

"I don't care how she took it," Harry said.

Hermione smiled. "So what time do you think we should arrive?"

Harry stared at her a moment. "You're coming back with me?"

"It's going to be hard," she said. "But I have missed everyone."

"I won't leave your side," Harry promised. "I'll stay by you the whole day. Ron is going to be so excited to see you, and so are Mrs. Weasley and Mr. Weasley... the twins--"

"I'm a little scared to see the twins," Hermione laughed.

"They'll probably lay a joke on you in the first five minutes," Harry said. "But I know them all so I should be able to tell you what's what."

Hermione grinned. "And Mrs. Weasley's cooking, too. I'm really looking forward to that."

Harry hugged her, spinning her around. "You're really coming home..."

"Home," she agreed, giving him a meaningful look.

He kissed her again. "I can't wait to see what they all say when they see you."

"They're----they're not angry that I stayed away, are they?" Hermione asked.

"I think they might understand once you explain everything," Harry said as they sat down in front of the fire.

Hermione curled up in Harry's arms. "I hope so."

"And if they don't, you have me," he kissed the top of her head.

Hermione closed her eyes. "I love you, Harry."

"I love you too," Harry replied. "Welcome home."