Unofficial Portkey Archive

It's Funny by Nicole
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

It's Funny

Nicole

Clean Clean MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

It's Funny

By: Nicole

Summary: Sometimes it's the things that have been there all along that make you appreciate friendship. A familiar gesture or look is all it may take set your feelings in motion. Part 1 of 2 in a vignette where Harry and Hermione reflect on what makes their friendship unique, and wonder what the future could hold. Thanks to scorpiomage for the summary. ;)

Category: Fluff/Romance

It's funny, how one brush of his hand against mine at meals, during class, or simply walking down the hall makes me wonder. It makes me wonder what it would be like to have those hands cupping my cheeks gently during a kiss or simply holding my hand during a walk around the lake.

It's funny, how everyone sees me as this independent, know-it-all bookworm. But only he knows that there's more to me than that. Only he knows what it's like to be shunned because of who or what you are, because you're different from the rest. And it's nice to have someone like that.

It's funny, how the world just seems to stand still when he looks me in the eyes. I often feel during these times that I might drown in those pools of green, and that thought scares me and thrills me all at once. The look in his eyes when he's looking at me never changes, but it makes me lose my self-control.

It's funny, how he reads over my shoulder every now and then, when he's bored and doesn't feel like getting beat by Ron in chess for the umpteenth time. His breath tickles my ear, and he often whispers to me the things he sees that interest him. He's matured a lot since I met him, and he never ceases to amaze me.

It's funny, how much closer we've grown over the years, and I wouldn't give up this friendship for anything. Anything, that is, except something more. What I wouldn't give to have him kiss me. Just once, on the lips, tongue or no tongue. It wouldn't matter to me, because it's him. He who knows me best.

It's funny, how when he smiles at me, I fall totally helpless to anything he says or asks me to do. When he smiles, that little half-smile that has half the girls at Hogwarts thinking they're madly in love with him. But they all just like him because he's famous. None of them knows him like I do.

It's funny, how when he runs his hand through his hair, when he's stressed or worried, I just want to go hug him and tell him everything's okay. But I have to resist, because he doesn't want that. He wants the truth, no matter how horrible it may be, or how much more pressure he'd have to bear. And it's not fair.

It's funny, how underneath all of the pressure, he's really perfectly normal. That's not a bad thing, quite the contrary. He knows when it's time to joke around, and he knows when it's time to be serious. And he knows, always, when I need cheering up. And that sets him apart, very far apart, from Ron.

It's funny, how he just walked down the stairs from the boy's dormitory, and without looking around, knew exactly where I was. And he came over here, and extended his hand, just waiting for me to take it and let him drag me outside for one of our famous walks around the lake.

It's funny, how things work. I never have the will to say no to him. I never have the ability to be as harsh with him as I am with Ron. I never seem to be able to touch any part of him without blushing. I never seem to be able to hide anything from Ron or Ginny. Ginny, who long ago found someone else, and only I know who.

It's funny, how even though I firmly believe Divination is rubbish, I seem to always be his choice for practicing on. And I've never minded, which is even funnier. He never can be serious when it comes to Divination, and I long stopped bugging them about why they never dropped it.

It's funny, how we really don't speak a lot when we're alone together, but we know how the other one feels. We know just what will make each other feel better, be it a trip to the kitchens underneath the invisibility cloak, or a midnight broom ride, that I've actually taken with him.