Unofficial Portkey Archive

This is Why I Don't Play Truth or Dare by Mstar
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

This is Why I Don't Play Truth or Dare

Mstar

This is Why I Don't Play Truth or Dare

AN~ This little ditty was originally intended to be a one-shot, at least when I started writing it. It's kind of morphed into a three-shot, I guess. Anyways, this is my first fic to be posted on Port-Key, so YAY!!! for me. Enjoy.

Uno

"I can't believe you guys conned me into playing this," Lily said sourly.

"Oh, come on, Lils," he friend, Evlyn, replied, "you don't wanna be a party pooper! I mean, the rest of us are playing!"

"I believe that's called peer pressure," Lily retorted. The six girls that resided in the Gryffindor seventh year dorm (for girls) were sitting in a circle on the floor, with various containers of icecream and cookie dough (to be washed down with exorbitant amounts of butterbeer) spread amongst themselves. They had decided to have a girl's night in, and what girl's night would be complete without a rousing game of truth or dare? Lily was still trying to figure out how she was convinced to play when the game started.

"Me first!" (Ev)Lyn exclaimed once she was sure everyone was playing. Lyn was an interesting person. She was perpetually sugar-high and could be as mad as a hatter. What most people didn't know about her was that she was the smartest person in her year, if not the whole school. She just didn't brag about it. With her, you either loved her to death, or couldn't stand to be within a thirty-foot radius of her.

"Umm…" she mused as shed looked around the circle. "Truth or dare… Joy!" Out of the six girls in the dorm, Joy was the quiet one. She was normally by herself, but as time went by, she found more and more people joining her. She was a good person to talk to, because she kept secrets and would listen. She may have been quiet, but she was very sweet, and everyone loved her for that.

"Er… truth, I guess," she answered timidly.

""Ok!" Lyn replied, bouncing up and down. She was a stark contrast to the reserved Joy. "Ok… uh… Oh! I got it! Which guy at this school turns you on?"

Joy blushed a deep red. "I-I, uh," she stuttered.

"Well, out with it!" Lyn pressed.

Joy muttered incomprehensible.

"What was that?" Lyn asked, leaning in closer to her embarrassed friend.

"Amos Diggory," she answered in a small voice.

"Diggory?!" all the girls exclaimed in unison, followed by twin squeals from Lyn and her best friend, Joanna (called Jo or Anna interchangeably).

"Ok, it's your turn," Katie, another girl in the dorm (who was best friends with Lily), replied to Joy, who very closely resembled a cherry.

She took a deep breath and then looked around the circle, trying to decide on the next victim. "Uh, Jo, truth or dare?"

~*~

After a few (somewhat) shocking truths, and several truly insane dares, it was then Fred's turn to go. Fred (short for Eloise Winnifred, as she liked neither her first or middle name) was Lily's other best friend. It was kind of ironic, as Fred was considered by most to be an honorary Marauder. The Marauders were a group of boys, consisting of the ever-so-charming Sirius Black, the oh-so-brilliant Remus Lupin, the Lord-he's-pathetic Peter Pettigrew, and the bane-of-Lily's-existence James Potter, who pranked, annoyed, flirted, showed-off, and caused all-around chaos at Hogwarts

It was funny, because Lily and Fred were best friends, and Fred and Potter were also good buddies. Due to this mutual friendship, Fred was endlessly trying to set Lily up with Potter, and Lily was ceaselessly foiling her plans.

Let's just say Fred found a window of opportunity.

"Oh, Lily-kins," Fred called in a sing-song voice, "'tis your turn- truth or dare?"

Lily slipped up. She didn't even realize she had. She was tired and getting bored with the game, so she oh-so-carelessly answered, "Dare."

An evil grin spread across Fred's face, causing Lily to panic. Oh, crap, she thought to herself, as she figured out where she went wrong. Oh crap, oh crap, oh crap! "Don't even think it!" Lily hissed.

"Too late," Fred replied, looking an awful lot like the Cheshire Cat. Or maybe the Grinch. It doesn't really matter, so who cares?

"Don't you dare!" Lily threatened.

"I believe that's the whole point."

"Which is why I don't play truth or dare."

~*~

"We'll be here waiting," Fred told Lily as she and the rest of the girls pushed the poor girl out onto the staircase leading to the common room.

"I'm never going to forgive you for this," Lily informed her (former) friend.

"Hey," Fred said with a laugh, "it's not my fault you chose dare."

Knowing that it was pointless to argue, Lily stalked down the stairs. After sending one last glare to the giggling girls behind her, she turned to face her doom.

"I can't believe I'm doing this," she muttered to herself as she approached the small group of four in the corner of the mercifully empty common room.

"Are you sure we can get away with that?" Lily heard Pettigrew ask timidly.

"Of course not, Wormtail," replied Black, "and that's the fun of it!"

"You have a strange definition of fun," another boy retorted. Remus Lupin was the only one of the self-proclaimed Marauders that Lily could stand. Why he hung out with the other three was beyond her.

"You know we'll have to-" The fourth Marauder stopped talking as he noticed Black, sitting directly across from him at their table, making a slashing gesture across his throat. Potter turned around and grinned, seeing who it was that had interrupted their scheming. Had it been anyone else, they probably would have been hexed.

"Hey, Evans," Potter replied in as charming a voice as he could muster. "You're having a pleasant evening, I hope?"

Lily ignored him and sent another glare to the girls, who were now all standing at the foot of the staircase. Taking a deep breath, Lily mentally prepped herself for the dare given to her. "Potter," she said exasperatedly, "shut up and listen."

She took another deep breath and started:

"My name is Lily E.

Fred has set a task to me.

In our dorm we play a game-

Truth or dare is its name.

I chose dare and chose wrong,

For now I must sing this song.

James, here is a choice for you:

Choose wisely option one or two.

The first choice is lots of fun.

You will like choice number one.

Choice one is a lovely date.

I'll go with you, the one I hate.

Or you could pick choice number two.

Youll really like this choice for you.

When you hear it, you'll do flips,

`Cause I'll kiss you on the lips.

Hurry up, pick one or two.

Either way, I'll follow through.

Like I said, pick what you will,

Quickly, for I have Fred to kill.

"Hey!" Fred exclaimed from behind her embarrassed friend. "I didn't write that last part!"

"I know," Lily replied tartly, "I did. You're dead after this, so you might want to start writing your will. I get dibs on your broom."

James, meanwhile, was in shock. "Are you serious?" he managed to spit out.

"Unfortunately, yes," she answered bitterly.

James glanced over at his friends, and then replied, "I think I need to discuss this in committee." He then proceeded to join his friends in a huddle.

"Go with the kiss!" Sirius whispered loudly. "I'm telling you, she's never gonna go out with you of her own free will, so this may be your only chance to get some action!"

Before James could reply, Remus shook his head and said, "Don't listen to Sirius. He may have been with a ton of girls, but Lily isn't one of them, thank God. Besides, out of all the girls he's dated, he's never been with one longer than a week. Two weeks tops." Before Sirius could protest, he continued, "Trust me. I `m actually friends with her. Take the date. Show her that you're a nice guy. That may lead to another date, which may eventually lead to kissing."

James looked back and forth between Moony and Padfoot, trying to decide. As much as I hate to admit it, he thought, Sirius may be right. Evans has never said yes to any of my offers before. But then again, Remus knows her far better than I do. Maybe, just maybe…

James exited the group and turned back towards Lily, who had been waiting impatiently, direly wanting to commit homicide. "I'll take the date," he announced.

"O, joy," Lily retorted before storming back over to the others. "Truth or dare," she said viciously, "FRED!!!"

"Truth!" Fred answered, before scampering up the stairs and into the dorm. Lily ran up after, looking ready for murder.

"Curse you, Fred!" the guys heard Lily call out from within the dorm.

And then, there was silence…

"Yes!" James erupted, shattering the quiet. "I got a date with Li-ly! I got a date Li-ly!" he sang as he danced around the common room.

Sirius muttered something along the lines of, "What an idiot." Remus rolled his eyes and Peter simply shrugged. It was going to be a looong night.


-->