Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Defining Moment by Mstar
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Defining Moment

Mstar

The Defining Moment

Prologue

When They First Met

Lily Evans stared fondly at the scarlet steam engine before her. I'm free... free from those vile prisses from elementary school, free from my no-nonsense sister, free from being different... I'm free.

Lily was by herself. Her parents and her sister, Petunia, had already left. She was a girl of average height, had auburn, shoulder-length hair, and almond-shaped, emerald green eyes. After much searching, she managed (just barely) to find an empty compartment and started to lift her trunk, but to her displeasure, she couldn't.

"Need any help?" Lily turned around to see who had spoken. It had been a fairly tall boy with black hair that seemed to go everywhere. Tall for an eleven-year-old, anyway. An equally tall boy who also had black hair accompanied him, but his was longer and much (much) more orderly. Lily also noticed that both of them were VERY good looking. Cute, to be truthful. You can't really be good looking at age eleven.

"Um... yes," Lily managed to say. The two boys easily picked up her trunk and stowed it away into a corner of the compartment.

"By the way," the boy who had first offered to help replied with a smile. "I'm James Potter and my friend, here, is Sirius Black."

Lily smiled back and said, "I'm Lily Evans, nice to meet you." Lily climbed into her compartment as James and Sirius waved and walked off to their own.

.:*:.

The door to her compartment was slid open by a girl with long, black hair and startling violet eyes. "Hi," she said. "I'm Auretta Thompson. Can I sit here? Everywhere else is full."

"Sure," Lily replied. "My name's Lily Evans." Lily helped Auretta pull her trunk and stuff into the compartment. As soon as they were both settled down, the train started to move.

"Hey, Lily, what were Sirius and James doing over here earlier?" Auretta asked as the train left London.

"They were helping me with my trunk," Lily answered. "You know them?"

"Yeah, they live in my neighborhood. Well, James does, but Sirius is over at his house so much, he might as well live there too." As soon as she finished saying this, the compartment door was opened by none other than James and Sirius themselves.

"Hi," Lily and Auretta chorused.

"Oh, I didn't know you two had met. Auri, long time, no see," Sirius said, surprised.

"We just wanted to see how you were holding up," James told Lily as Sirius and Auri started chatting.

"Thanks," Lily replied politely.

There was an awkward silence between the two for a moment until James said, "Well I guess we better get going." He flashed Lily a (somewhat nervous) grin, and pulled Sirius out of the compartment with him.

As soon as they were out of earshot, Auri squealed, "James so likes you!"

"What makes you say that?" Lily responded defensively.

Auri rolled her eyes and answered, "Uh, hello! No guy I know, except maybe Sirius, acts like that unless he likes a girl that way. And besides James can never shut up. He must like you if he can barely string two words together."

"Are you sure?"

"Positive."

AN~ This is one of the first fics I ever wrote, so it's probably not up to par with the stuff I write now. I think I was like, twelve when I wrote this. I have, however, edited some stuff, for your sake. Reviews are always welcome!


-->