Unofficial Portkey Archive

Heat of Battle by Vanilla
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Heat of Battle

Vanilla

A/N: This is rated NC-17 for upcoming chapters. When I started this story I was thinking I might get 3000 words out of it but now it looks like I am going to get three or four chapters. Enjoy!

***************

Smoke was rising from the burning field as Harry dashed from one end of the other seeking out Hermione in the crowd. He hid under his invisibility cloak as curses were flying past him in all directions. He cocked his head back and in the distance could see their safe house which was now going up in flames. Harry sighed at seeing the house he had learned to call home for the past year going in up in flames. It was a tough sight to see but he had more important things to worry about right now, like find his best friend and get her out of harms way.

He silently sprinted across the dark field, his eye darting from side to side. The smell of burnt flesh and death hung in the air, making Harry almost want to gag. He dodged out of the way as angry death eaters trudged by trying to hunt down members of the Order to kill them.

Harry came to the crest of a round hill, which gave him an open view of the field before him. He could see many death eaters lying face down on the ground - presumably dead - and only a few remaining Order member who were scrambling around sending curses at as many death eaters as possible. Harry soared inside, he and the few the order members who were stationed at the house were out numbered two to one by the death eaters and they still managed to do three times as more damage to the death eater's troops then they did to theirs.

But Harry's spirits fell when he still couldn't find Hermione, he knew she had to be around here somewhere she couldn't have apparated out. Harry double checked the watch Hermione had charmed for him, herself and Ron to work like the famous Weasley clock, and saw her hand was in between `close by' and `mortal peril'. His heart was racing, if she was near by then why wasn't she on the field? Harry watched Ron's hand move to `check point two'.

His heart was beating heavily in his chest and his breath was ragged from running. He raised his head again to scan the field when he heard a small whimper coming from the other side of the hill. He followed the sounds to the other side of the hill and found Hermione on the ground in a small valley, cowering beneath a bulky death eater.

"Hermione!" he said to himself.

Harry raced down the hill without a second thought. He refused to allow another stupid death eater take away another important person in his life. The closer Harry got the more he could hear the death eater murmuring something to Hermione. Finally he got close enough to hear the death eater shout, "You pathetic little mudblood, I am going to enjoy squeezing the life out of you!"

The bulky ruthless death eater took one stride towards the cowering form of Hermione wielding his wand before him, as Harry came charging through and elbowed the death eater in face, sending him to the ground. Harry threw off his cloak and glared down at the death eater who was now glaring back up at him, with his mask half torn.

Harry recognized the face immediately. "Goyle…" Harry muttered.

"Potter…" Goyle replied, replicating a sneer almost exact to Malfoy's. They clearly spent way too much time together. "Come to watch me kill the mudblood, Potter?" Goyle asked in a sinister tone, as he slowly raised his wand in the direction of Hermione.

Harry roared with anger and kicked the wand out of Goyle hand. "No, you fucking bastard, I've come to kill YOU!" he yelled heatedly. Harry pointed his wand at Goyle's half-masked face. "I hope you feel this in every bone in your vile unworthy body," he muttered. "…Crucio!" Goyle squirmed on the ground, screaming for his mommy like a little girl. Harry sneered at the sight of Goyle before him; he took great pleasure in making his enemies suffer before finishing them off. "AVADA KEDAVRA!" Harry cried out. Goyle's painful cries ceased instantaneously, as his vacant eyes rolled open revealing a lifeless body. Harry kicked Goyle square in the chest, making his body roll onto his back. "Don't fuck with the people I love, you cold bastard!" Harry said to Goyle's vacant expression, as he spit on him.

"…Harry?" a small voice called from behind.

Harry turned and spotted the woman he had been searching for. "Hermione!" Harry said in a lighter tone. He rushed over to where she was leaning against a small stone wall (where she would spend her days reading when the weather was nice) and collapsed next to her. "Hermione, you okay?" he asked, frantically checking her over.

"Mmm…yeah…I…think."

She could barely keep her eyes open, and her head was rolling from side-to-side. Harry noticed a trickle of blood running down the side of her face. He ripped a piece of his shirt off and used it as a rag to hold it against her wound.

"What did he do to you?" Harry said, trying to coax her into further consciousness. "Come on, Hermione. Tell me."

Her eyes cracked open and he heard take in a small breath which made her wince. "He…crucio me…a-and…threw me…against…the w-wall." she struggled to get out. "Harry, it…hurts."

"Merlin, he used the cruciatus curse on you?" Harry said feeling shocked. He never wanted anybody he cared about to feel that pain, especially her! He brushed the hair away from her face and kissed her temple. "I am so sorry I wasn't here to protect you." he whispered soothingly. "You don't deserve to endure something as horrible as that. I should have been there."

Hermione forced a weak smile. "Always…trying to play…the hero…aren't…you…Harry" she said through a wary breath. "It wasn't…your fault. Don't…blame yourself." She took in another deep breath and whimpered slightly.

Harry forced a weak smile back. It nearly killed him to see her like this. The distant shouts of curses and cries of pain brought Harry back into the real world. "We need to get out of here. Ron apparated out, he's waiting for us at check point two.

"Ginny… Luna?"

"I don't know where they are I didn't see them out in the field, and none of our men have fallen. So they must have followed orders and apparated out." He told her. "Can you walk?"

"No," she mumbled under her breath. Her head rolled from side-to-side once again before falling limp against Harry's shoulder. "…My ankle."

Harry leaned down to examine her ankle and saw that it was swollen and very red. "Shit!" Harry muttered. "I think it's broken." He lifted his head to scan the distance and the obstacles between them and the edge of the property where the large iron gates stood. "We can't apparate on the grounds. I'm going to have to carry you of here so were can apparate out."

"Harry…"

"Yeah?"

"I can't stay…awake…much longer. It…hurts."

"It's okay, I know it does. I promise I'm going to get you out of here and then heal your wounds. Just hang on a little bit longer, it won't be long."

Hermione nodded and winced painfully as she took in another breath.

"I'm going to pick you up now," he told her. Harry hooked his arm under her knees and wrapped his other arm around her waist and went to lift her up when Hermione let out a high-pitched shriek.

Harry pulled away. "What is it?" he asked.

"Sharp pain in my stomach…when you…tried to pick me up," Hermione replied in a hazy tone. She placed a hand on her stomach and winced. She glanced up at Harry and nodded. "It's okay, pick me up. The pain isn't…wince...that bad."

Harry frowned, he didn't like making her suffer, but in this situation he had no choice. He reached for the invisibility cloak and threw it over the both of them and picked Hermione up. She gasped in pain and leaned her head against Harry's chest. "You'll be okay soon," he told her soothingly, and placing a kiss on the top of her head. He loved how easily she melted against his body.

Harry lifted his head trying to figure out how he was going to dodge all the death eaters. He started to jog up the hill and when he reached the peak he stopped to examine the open field. He could see death eaters scrambling about sending curses in every direction possible. He knew it was going to be a challenge to get to the gate. Harry swallowed and concentrated hard on the path he was going to take. He knew he only had one shot at this, if the cloak happened to somehow come off as he was running he was sure as dead.

He shifted Hermione's weight in his arms, took a deep breath, and began running down the hill and through the field. He dodged the curses that were flying past them, and ran around the scampering death eaters. He was so close to the gate, he couldn't believe it was that easy, that's until he tripped over a protruding rock and went tumbling through the field, ejecting Hermione from beneath the cloak and sending her out into the open view of the death eaters.

Harry watched in terror from beneath the cloak as she tumbled out in the open through the tall grass. A group of death eaters a few yards away turned to see the cause of the shuffling.

"Look it's that mudblood!" cried a skinny death eater

"Get her!" added another short one.

The death eaters were now running in her direction. Harry reached for his wand…and wait! Where was his wand? He checked all his pockets and frantically felt around in the grass for it, but it wasn't there. He was freaking out now, the death eaters were getting closer to the defenseless Hermione, and there was nothing he could do to protect her. What was he going to do? He did the only think he could think of doing, which was to throw the cloak off himself to try and distract them from Hermione.

"Hey!" Harry shouted, trying to divert their attention from Hermione.

The skinny death eater smirked and started to turn in the direction of Harry, while the short one kept closing in on Hermione.

"Potter?" the skinny death eater slurred. "Oi, won't my lord be pleased when he learns that I have brought him his prey. This is going to--"

"AVADA KEDAVRA!"

The skinny death eater's eyes rolled back into her head as she fell face first into the dirt. Harry struggled for his breath and turned to see the death eater hovering over Hermione collapse. Harry didn't think twice or wonder where the killing curse came from the only thing on his mind was to get Hermione out of there. He stood up and rushed to her side where she was laying barely conscious in the grass.

"Hermione?" Harry said, shaking her slightly.

"…Harry," she replied barely above a whisper.

"We're getting out of here now," he told her. Hermione let out a little gasp when he scooped her up in his arms again.

"HARRY!"

Harry turned to see Ron jogging towards him.

"Shhh!! Ron, summon my wand. I lost it and we need to get out of here before we're noticed by anymore death eaters," Harry told Ron as soon as he was within earshot.

Ron retrieved Harry's wand and put it in Harry's pocket. His eyes rested on Hermione's unconscious body and his heart nearly stopped. "I-is she--?"

"She's fine, Ron. All she needs to do is see a Healer and everything will be okay," Harry said, as he started to rush towards the gates. "What are you doing here? I thought you already apparated out."

Ron tapped on his watch, which Harry and Hermione's hands were pointing to `mortal peril'. "Saving your arses obviously" Ron replied, jogging beside Harry. "She was a genius to come up with these!" he added, pointing at his watch.

"Indeed."

The finally made it outside gates without being noticed by anymore death eaters. Harry and Ron gave each other a swift nod, silently agreeing to apparate to check point two.

*

Harry closed his eyes and opened them a few seconds late to find himself standing on a secluded dark road in the middle of nowhere. A few seconds later a `pop' was heard and Ron appeared before him. Harry noticed him eyeing the unconscious Hermione with a wounded expression.

"She'll be fine, you know," Harry said out loud, more convincing himself than Ron.

"Yeah," Ron replied bleakly.

"Let's go to the other safe house so we can get Hermione fixed up, and discuss the situation."

Harry felt a hand on his shoulder, and he looked up at Ron who had a grim expression on his face.

"What?" Harry asked feeling slightly irritated. "If you haven't noticed our best friend is unconscious and bleeding in my arms, we need to get her to the house and healed!"

"Safe house two has been infiltrated too. Lupin informed me by patronus while I was waiting for you two, we have a spy in our midst," Ron told Harry. "There have been no casualties, but we do not know who the mole is yet."

"Fucking wonderful!" Harry said angrily. "Where do we go in the meantime?"

"Language," Hermione mumbled in her feeble voice from partial consciousness.

Harry and Ron smiled.

"I don't know where everybody is staying, they didn't tell me," Ron said. He paused for a moment to think. A minute later his eyes augmented as a brilliant idea soared through his head. "Bill and Fleur bought a cabin high up in the Norwegian Mountains like two years ago! They never had the chance to use it before they died. Gods, I completely forgot about it. It's been empty all this time. We can go there!

"Brilliant!" Harry shouted. "Let's go!"

A/N: I am sure your wondering what happened to Bill and Fleur, but all that will be answered in the next chapter. If you liked it please review!


-->