Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Lost Warning by wetback
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Lost Warning

wetback
DISCLAIMER

This story is based on characters and situations created and owned by JK Rowling, various publishers including but not limited to Bloomsbury Books, Scholastic Books and Raincoast Books, and Warner Bros., Inc. No money is being made and no copyright or trademark infringement is intended.

Author's note: This is the fourth of the series; it is highly recommended you read the first three, TheLost Wizard, The Lost Witch and The Lost Worlds for this to make sense.


Chapter 1 - Homecoming

Hermione Jane Potter lay in the stark white examination room, under the bright, harsh lights glaring down on her; only a flimsy paper shroud covered her body as a number of figures surrounding the table. Harry waited beyond the doors, to be allowed to see her. Through the doors he heard various discussions between the medical personal and, at one point, he heard her moans of pain as the doctors continued the procedure. His thoughts drifted back to a similar room, a similar time so long ago. Those memories were the direct result of a curse. That curse led them on a journey to where they are today.

They had been separated at the recommendation that both needed some rest. Harry had spent the past couple hours pacing the halls, unable to do anything except rest. The recent months had been calmer than the year before, when a discovery in a trunk changed their lives.

Hermione screamed, calling his name.

"You can go in and see her now. She's been calling for you," a nurse informed him.

He burst into the room as she screamed again.

"I'm here now," he called to comfort her.

She grabbed his hand and squeezed hard, her face was covered in sweat.

"Bloody hell, Potter, this is worse than Dolohov's spell," she hissed in between the deep pain of her contractions.

"Doctor, she's crowning. The baby's presenting," a nurse announced.

"Owww… "

"Push!"

"Arrrwww."

"One more push and the head will be free."

She gritted her teeth and bore down. Harry gripped her hands tightly as she grimaced.

"Stop," the doctor ordered, as she screamed again.

"I can't," she yelled.

"STOP," the doctor ordered again, "One moment… We have a cord prolapse. "

Harry watched the miracle before him and in that instant his mind raced over the recent past.


He again held her hand tightly when they stepped into the veil. Again she had a cord tied between them and this time to a third figure had ventured into the unknown with them. They were hopeful this was the last time they would risk this trip.

This time he pulled her as close as possible and held her tightly. He smelled her hair and smiled when he caught that familiar fragrance of her.

The floor and walls disappeared in the void, again giving the sensation of falling from one world to the next. His arms around her moved as she breathed; each breath reassured they were still together. He could even imagine a smile on her lips as they remained joined.

Time passed.

Nothing.

His arms grew numb from holding her; the cord that kept them joined pulled hard, so Sirius was still with them. Harry tried to talk, as he had each time they made this unknown journey, and, again, no sound escaped his lips.

He closed his eyes and smiled as he held her close as a hand reached up and stroked his cheek. This time he was unafraid of this journey into the void.

He opened his eyes, her hand still on his cheek, as he felt the flapping of the veil. She turned in his arms and held him as tightly as he held her.

"We've gone through," she said. He reached for the other end of the rope that was their link to Sirius; it had untied from the tension.

"Sirius? We lost him."

"No, he will be along, shortly. You always managed to follow after a bit," she said to reassure him.

"Are we finally home?" he asked.

The room showed no sign of damage or conflict. The raised dais they stood on still held the Stone Arch. She scanned the arch and shook her head.

"I really don't know; every time we came through it was always the same."

They stepped down and sat on the stone benches. He swung his pack off his shoulder and dropped it next to them, then reached in to find the parchment they had carefully hidden inside. He held it to see the page remained blank.

"There's nothing, it's blank," he said.

"Hand it here," she demanded. He handed her the sheet and the words swirled around to form the first clue to this world. She read each word out loud and, as she read, she began to smile.

As the one the Dark Lord fears most comes of age
He will be rejected and forgotten by his own blood;
One will come to his aid in time of need
Joined by a witch who shines above all others
Her intellect will give him direction and counsel
She will ease his pain
She will help find his life's bond with the lost witch.
Ties to old blood will be forever lost;
Their blood to be joined with that of a past foe
Not of this world will the two be three
And the three shall wield the ultimate force as one.

"What does all this mean?"

"This was the same prophecy Professor Dumbledore told me before we left the summer of our sixth year. It hasn't changed and obviously hasn't been fulfilled. We discussed this, remember?" He nodded and re-read the words on the sheet as she held it.

"So the last part has not been fulfilled; this could be about our daughter."

"Possibly, but we do need to make certain we are home," she said.

At that moment they both noticed the veil blow forward, a bulge appeared under the ancient cloth and parted to find a single man stand motionless just past the edge of the arch.

"Sirius!" they shouted in unison, as he opened his eyes. The pair jumped up and ran to his side.

"Harry? Hermione? Are we home?" Arms reached out and the three embraced. The cloth of the veil stopped moving long before they released each other.

"It's wonderful to have you back, Sirius," Hermione finally said.

"Well, you need to get off your feet, mum," he grinned and led the couple off the dais to the stone bench they had previously occupied, next to Harry's pack.

"As best we can tell, yes. But the only certain way to tell is out there," she said, as she pointed to the door.

"But I think it would be best not to take the risk of being seen if this is another reality. Sirius, you and Hermione stay here, in case there's trouble. I will look around."

"No, Harry, where ever you go I will be there at your side," Hermione insisted.

"She's right, Harry, we are in this together and only together could we stand a chance if we have to fight our way out."

He was about to continue the argument, when the door to the Chamber of Death slowly opened.

"Alright, whoever's in here, show yourself," a voice commanded.

"Here, cover yourself," Harry commanded as he threw his cloak over Hermione. Sirius shifted into his canine form to hide more easily. "I'm here on Ministry Business," he called out. "Mind you wands."

"Then stand in the light, where we can see you." The voice now came from a silhouette in the door. Other voices and activity could be heard from behind this figure.

"Sirius, stay back with Hermione, please," he whispered, "I'm coming out; I am an officer of the Ministry." He gave Hermione a quick kiss on the cheek and stood up, walking away from them.

In the darkness he could see the man as he stood pointing a wand at him. Others outside the door provided additional cover for the wizard that gave the order to come forward.

"Step out of the shadows," he commanded.

Harry took an additional step into the light from that flooded through the door. His hands up to show they were empty, but he was far from defenceless.

"I'm here alone," he called out, "I'm unarmed."

"Rubbish, we heard you talk to someone; tell them to step forward," another voice commanded.

"Tonks?" he called to the second voice.

The wand that had been pointed at him lowered as he stepped forward. In the door he could now see the man that ordered him from his wife. That man approached and broke into a run toward him.

"Harry?" Ron called out, as he came within a few feet.

"Ron?" he said with a huge grin, "Is it really you?"

"Bloody hell, I was about to ask you that, how did you survive? Where did you come from?"

"The arch," he tried to explain as Ron threw his arms around Harry. Others flooded into the room, not as cautious as Ron.

"Hermione? Is she alive?" he asked.

"Better then alive," she called out, "I'm here as well." She stood and dropped the cloak. Sirius remained next to her and followed as she ran to her friend.

"It's bloody great to see you both, but how did you get here?"

"The Arch, it's a portal of sorts."

Ron noticed the dog standing behind her and looked puzzled at Harry. Harry was unable to comment with the other Aurors in the room, each with each with drawn wands pointed at the group.

"Stand aside, Senior Auror," a voice bellowed.

Both Harry and Ron turned to the voice. "Yes sir," they responded in unison.

"Bugger off, Ron, he was addressing me"

"There have been some changes, Harry," Ron replied, as another figure approached.

Gawain Robards, the Head of the Aurors, walked past the others and directly to the three in the room. "Senior Auror Weasley, you were instructed to take the intruders into custody, not to welcome them with open arms. Perform your duty, or turn in your badge."

He reluctantly nodded, "Harry, you and Hermione have to come with us."

"Of course. Love, are you up to it?" Harry asked Hermione.

"Yes, as long as it doesn't take all day. I want to go home."

"It should be a standard de-briefing, beside I want you to stop at St. Mungo's and make the initial arrangements."

She nodded and noted a puzzled look on Ron's face. Harry took her hand and they followed the Auror. The large dog also followed and stayed at Harry's side. Ron led the procession to the interrogation rooms. Harry and Hermione quietly sat in the stark wooden chairs on one side of the table; Ron and two other Auror sat opposite. The dog obediently sat at Harry's feet.

"And what will happen to us next?" Hermione asked.

"We shall be asking the questions," a voice in a dark corner bellowed.

"Then get on with it."

"Right. First what are your names?"

"Harry James Potter and Hermione Jane Potter," Harry answered for them.

"Occupations?"

"I am a Senior Auror and my wife is a Healer."

"Former Senior Auror, due to your unexplained absence."

"Right."

"How did you come to be in that chamber?"

"We came through the Arch," Hermione responded.

"Impossible, no one has ever returned from the Veil."

"Impossible or not, here we are as living proof. We entered from here, if this is truly our home, some five months ago. In that time we passed into the veil three more times to finally return here."

"So you mean to imply you survived passage through the Veil and this 'animal' was with you as well?"

"No, we found him on the other side and he returned with us."

"Ron, I'm sure you remember Sirius Black?" Hermione asked.

"Yes, he died twelve years ago," Ron answered, as he looked closely at the dog. "No…" he muttered.

Hermione simply nodded as Sirius changed from his animal form back to his human form.

"Ron Weasley, it's been a long time," he said, as he reached his hand across the table.

From the shadows some muffled conversations and shuffling of feet told the tale of others in the room expecting answers. An ancient wizard stepped forward; a look of utmost pleasure broke across his face as he rounded the table. He was barely able to contain himself and unable to utter a word of greeting as the three stood and greeted him with equal enthusiasm.

"Professor," Hermione said jubilantly.

"Minister Dumbledore," Harry greeted trying to contain himself.

"Harry, Hermione, two of my dearest friends. Nearly everyone had given you both for death. Mr. Weasley refused to believe you had perished and he held fast to his loyalty to that belief. " Nearly an hour passed as all pretence of propriety vanished on sight.

"Auror Robards, you may release them to their own recognisance; they are who they claim to be."

"If they are who they claim to be, then I want an explanation on how they first came to pass into the veil more than five months ago?" Robards insisted.

"You are aware that was the anniversary of that incident," Harry began, "And you are also aware I had requested a few weeks of leave knowing my wife's general state of mind during that period."

"Of course, you request your leave for those weeks every year."

"And this was a milestone year, the tenth." Hermione added.

"Yes, yes, I know all that…" Robards replied.

"We had gone into the Chamber due to a melancholy mood and at some point I must have slipped and fallen into the Veil. Harry simply tried to pull me back, but was pulled in with me."

"I believe that is enough for now," the Minister said, "I'm quite certain they both would like to spend the remainder of the day with loved ones and family, not in an interrogation cell. Although a brief stop at the Ministry's infirmary for a quick check up should be in order."

Ron took advantage, "Then I'll be their 'official' escort. Harry and Hermione, shall we?"

"I expect a full and detailed report on this and your 'adventures' before you report for duty and I expect you, Weasley, to report first thing Monday morning," Robards added, as the three detainees left with Ron.


"Mr. Potter, you have to leave, there's a complication and we may need to perform surgery," the doctor told Harry off to the side. Hermione had been instructed to lay on her side while the team prepared the necessary trays for the surgery.

"I want to stay, she is my life and I won't leave her alone."

"Harry," Luna said, holding his shoulder, "I'm going to be here every second, she's in the best hands available."

"Please don't worry; although this is a serious procedure, it is fairly common. We expect mother and child to pull through brilliantly," the doctor said to reassure him.

"The surgeon she had retained for this possibility is one of the best in the medical profession. How she managed to convince him to leave his practice in America to stay here is astounding."

"Never underestimate the power of wealth, or of my wife," Harry said. His attempt at levity could not mask the concern in his voice.

"I'll be here in case there is an issue and the surgery team has been fully prepared as to her full condition, Harry. You won't be able to help, I suggest waiting in the observatory," Luna added, pointing to the viewing area above them. Ron and a few select others waited and watched the drama unfold.

A technician was working on Hermione as Harry conceded and left the surgery arena. He glanced back at her as she tried to smile, but the initial pain from the thick needle in her back forced a grimace.

He quickly ran up the stairs to Ron's side and watched the activity below. Hermione had been rolled to her back and her legs back in the stirrups. The stark white sheets that draped around her hid the activities.

"Easy, mate. This is the worst part, not being able to be there."

Harry felt his best mate's arm on his shoulder for reassurance. The flurry below moved along, the white sheets now stained red from her blood as the surgeon made his first cut.

"She'll be fine, Harry. She's strong and they are the best," Sirius said, from Harry's other side.

Harry closed his eyes and tried to push the image of her helpless form from his mind.


He turned over in his sleep, an arm crossed to the other, empty side. Hermione's restlessness left her unable to sleep, even finally being in her own bed for the first time in months seemed unreal and slightly uncomfortable. A cup of warm tea called her away, leaving him alone.

He tossed and turned in his sleep, a cold sweat bubbled to his brow. Years had passed since he had been tormented by his visions. They had assumed they had ended with the death of Lord Voldemort.

"Moine," he mumbled. "Dumbledore…" he called out.

He felt the same nausea repeat from the journeys through the veil, the darkness engulfed him as he fell into the abyss of his dream.

Through the mist he could see several figures engaged in conflict on a distant tower. One man stood and seemed to throw another from the parapet. Harry heard a boy scream from the wall as the first man vanished.

"Tower… murder," he mumbled in his fitful sleep.

"He drifted from the vision of the tower to that of a clearing where a stark white mausoleum stood. Throngs of people gathered as an old friend carried a white shroud covered body to the marble slab. Harry watched the funeral as Hagrid turned to face the congregation. The gentle man's lips moved, but no sound reached Harry. A biting chill hit sending him back into that void.

He tossed the bed sheets away as he rolled over in his sleep. The images faded from his conscious mind as his body shifted on the bed and his body allowed itself to relax. Moments later the same bed sheets covered him, as a familiar form lay at his side, letting the mists fade into the remainder of the night.

"Good morning, darling. How did you sleep?" she asked, as she nuzzled into his side when day broke.

"Best sleep I've had in months, its strange how being in your own bed could be so relaxing."

"I've missed this; even the time we stayed at the Burrow didn't feel right; I was up half the night trying to convince myself we are home," she said, as she traced imaginary images on his chest.

"There's no doubt that this is home," he reassured her.

"Yes, everything here is absolutely correct, except there are several small matters of a legal nature that must be addressed."

"There is only one detail you have to address today; you have an examination, to be certain the baby is still healthy."

"There's really no need for that, I feel fine and I know the baby is fine,"

"Remember what you promised me that night you told me about the baby, no more risks?"

"Um-hum, but we're home. Nothing is going to happen. I want to spend a few days in our home, at least for a few days; no doctors and no reporters, just the two of us and a few, choice friends."

"Ron and Luna already planned to be here by lunch, I think she doesn't believe we're really back."

"Then you had best get showered and dressed; I'll pop down and make some tea." She pushed him hard; the unexpected shove sent him over the side of the bed to the floor.

"Crazy witch," he grinned, as he massaged his battered ego.

"Just try and get me away from here and see how crazy this witch can get," she teased back, as a pillow hit him square in the head.

"Now be off," she commanded triumphantly.

It was their first real day in their home. The first time they had hopes of a family in five years. She pulled on a dressing robe, her own dressing robe and rubbed her hands on the material. She heard the sound of the shower and smiled.

She left the warmth and security of their shared bed for the kitchen and a warm cup of tea. She remembered the recipe Caterina shared several days ago and found all she needed in the cupboards.

"Would Missus Potter care for some breakfast?" She heard from behind.

"No, Dobby, tea is fine," she replied, as she prepared her cup and sat at the table. She pulled a large stack of envelopes and owl messaged from the centre of the table and sighed heavily at the volume of correspondence to be read.

"Dobby is pleased to see mistress back. And to see you happy makes Dobby happy."

"Thank you, Dobby. And thank you for keeping my home from disrepair these past months."

"Mistress never has to thank Dobby, Dobby is proud to serve a good family and kind wizard family."

She smiled a reply to the faithful servant and pulled a large thick envelope with the Gringotts seal. She opened the letter to find a detailed listing of account debits during their absence.

She scanned the page listing household expenses and her smile faded.

"Dobby, have you been drawing your agreed salary?"

"Dobby has not needed wizard money, Dobby has been happy to live in this home."

She shook her head, "No, you agreed to work for us for wages. I can't allow you to work without being properly paid."

She picked up a quill and wrote a bank draft in an amount far exceeding his unclaimed wages and handed him the paper.

"No, Dobby cannot accept this much. It is too much money."

"That is yours, tear up the draft and it will repair itself until for exchange it."

He nodded as he bowed and left the kitchen.

She pushed the unopened letters aside and picked up the copy of the Daily Prophet to review the recent events. Their return had been kept confidential and had not been announced in the Prophet. The peace of their world seemed to remain intact without them. The most pressing news item was the concern over the expanded size of the first year students for the following year. The end of the war had brought a surge of growth in wizard families.

She held her tummy and smiled, "You have eleven years to go, little one."

She felt a familiar kiss on her head, "Talking to anyone in particular?" Harry asked, as he stood behind her.

"A certain future student," she smiled and reached a hand to his cheek.

"I have a few days before I have to report to work, what time would you like to go for your check up?" he asked, as he poured a hot cup of tea and retrieved some fresh toast.

"I'm perfectly capable of going on my own; I do know how to get to my own offices," she replied.

"Yes, I know, but I want to be there to hear any news."

"You know this will be an uneventful examination and you have an errand to run of your own. I would like resolution on that matter right away."

"Certainly, I hope I can convince them."

"Finish your breakfast and ask them, I'm certain they will agree. I plan to see Ginny after I talk to Luna at the hospital."

"I would not mention any details of our recent experiences, they would prove unsettling," he cautioned, as she stood to leave for a shower.

"I know, I do have some tact," she replied, "You might well take your own advice and be certain to let me know if they accept our proposals." She reciprocated his affections as she left, leaving a kiss on the top of his head on her way out.

Harry quietly finished his toast and tea, scanned the pages of the Prophet and sipped his tea. He flipped through he pages reading the same articles Hermione just read. He skimmed through to the last page and closed the paper and sighed heavily.

Harry stood, walked to the fireplace and tossed a pinch of Floo powder into the fire.

"Professor, may I have a word in private?"

This was the third stop he made and still had not been able to complete his first task.

"This is almost as challenging as the Tri-Wizard Contest," he mumbled,

"Possibly, but this should be the correct office," his companion said.

He walked to the door and knocked firmly and waited. A middle aged woman greeted them. "The Professor has agreed to meet with you, but he will only spare you five minutes."

"Understood," Harry replied for them both.

"Please follow me to his private office."

Together they walked through the narrow hall. The office they entered was a typical administrator's office; rows of filing cabinets lined the wall. Book shelves lined the walls above the filing cabinets. On a podium lay several stacks of sheet music; in the corner stood a violin.

Harry's companion began the conversation, "Professor, if I may introduce myself, my name is…"

"I do not care who you are, madam, you have no bearing on the proceedings of this establishment or its students. This letter my secretary delivered is outrageous."

"Sir, I would be appreciative if you reconsidered your stand. I happen to know the work Miss Basile has done in the past and I am certain you are mistaken on that project," Harry interjected, "And, I'm certain if you cared to examine her notes, you will see how she arrived at the same work as Mozart." (This was brought in quickly…)

"So you are experts in classical music?" the Professor asked sharply.

"I am a simple educator myself, sir and I can detect when a student's work is original and I can assure you this is original."

The door opened to find a paunchy middle aged man standing in the door with a young woman. He quickly approached Harry with his hand extended.

"Mr. Potter, I had to stop by personally to thank you for your generous contribution. And I took the liberty of escorting Miss Basile to Professor Goode's office personally."

"We were just discussing a project that had been completed and the authenticity of the work involved."

"Caterina, may I have a private word with you while my associate continues her evaluations of your work?"

"That is fine with me and you, Saul?" the administrator asked the Professor. A simple shoulder shrug was his reply.

"Sì, Signore," she replied politely. Harry led her away leaving the others alone.

"Caterina, are you aware who I am?"

"No, Signore," she replied shaking her head.

"Well, the important detail is I know who you are, and more precisely, what you are. I am here to offer you a position and career."

"You know what I am?"

"Sì," he said with a grin. "And I have a proposition for you, if you are interested in a position where you can learn and grow."

"Signore, I am afraid I do not know who you are or what you are implying, but if this is a joke," she said, a fire of anger began to burn.

"Your dean failed to properly introduce us, my name is Harry Potter and I'm certain you have heard the name."

She stood slightly stunned, "Harry Potter? But…"

"You always believed it was not true."

"Sì," she said slightly confused.

"I can assure you what ever you may have heard, whether true or not, that I am Harry Potter and you are a witch. I as well am aware your brother shares your abilities."

"No, he does not," she said vehemently.

"My offer is for your services, as a nanny for our child, and for Rico to attend a school that will help his growth as a wizard. I have some influence with some friends that would be willing to sponsor Chiara as well."

"But I have no experience with children."

"Then we can call this an executive Household Assistant. My wife is expecting in May and I believe your education here is to end then."

"Sì, but I had plans…"

"Daniel and Laura, yes, I know about them. They will be just fine. I have a debt to repay and I will not take no for an answer."

She shook her head, "I must have permission from my papa, this is too sudden, he would not understand."

"I understand, that is why I have a friend with me," he nodded back to the room they left. "She is quite persuasive." The door opened and his companion joined them.

"I believe I made our point, your grade will be reversed and your work is to be re-evaluated, Miss Basile."

"Caterina, I'm afraid I failed to properly introduce you, this is Professor Minerva McGonagall. She is the Headmistress of Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry. I have made the arrangements for Rico to attend the school and he will have the finest instruction available."

"No, he has not shown any abilities."

"Miss, he will be examined first, but according to Mr. Potter, he has personally witnessed young Rico's abilities. The concern is his age. He will be too old to enter as a first year and has missed three years of work."

"Then there is no luck to him," Caterina said.

"That is not entirely true; he will have private tutoring from the staff and from his classmates. They have already been instructed to spend time to help him learn."

"But papa will never agree."

"Leave him to us, I'm certain he'll agree," Harry replied. "Now, Professor, you have the Portkey ready?"

"Yes, please take hold." She held a book to the other two, Harry placed his hand on the cover and Caterina cautiously touched the binding. Instantly they were whisked from the University's offices to a dark alley. The three walked out into the street, letting the day's sun shine down.

Harry looked at the building, the last time he saw it all that remained was a smouldering pile of rubble. Caterina led the group to an attached row building with a lime green front. She ushered the pair into the house and to the lounge.

"Please wait, I bring my papa here," she instructed.

Within a few minutes she returned, her father close behind, still wearing his apron and covered in fresh flour.

"May I help you?" he asked politely.

"My name in Harry Potter and we are both here on behalf of your children. To offer Caterina and Chiara positions of employment and to invite Rico to attend a prestigious academy in Britain ."

"What academy?" he asked. Rico had wandered into the front room when he heard his name.

"Sir, I am the Headmistress of Hogwarts, School for Witchcraft and Wizardry, Professor McGonagall, and on Mr. Potter's reference alone, Rico has been accepted to attend the school."

"Why would YOU want to give us money to send Rico to this Hogwarts? And what is this foolishness of witchcraft and wizards? "

"Papa, listen to them; they know of my abilities and seem to think Rico shares them."

"Rico has a special talent that needs to be nurtured and we can offer him that opportunity."

"Then why can he not attend the schools here, they were good for Caterina?"

"Hogwarts will give him the special training and attention no other school can match, beside it would allow him to remain close to his two sisters."

"And what of them? These 'positions of employment' you speak of, how am I to believe these are real?"

"My wife is soon to have a child and I am seeking a nanny we trust. And Caterina is that person. My wife's cousin has two children that, too, need tending and has agreed to take Chiara as their nanny. She will also stay within the grounds of Hogwarts, as both parents are professors there."

"Private accommodations will be provided for her comfort," Professor McGonagall added."

"And as well for Caterina, she will stay in our home after she completes her education at her University."

"Madness, this is madness. How can we be certain this is not some plan to force them into an illicit life? I have heard of people being forced into unsavoury positions, before sending my girls somewhere to live with a family I don't know, I want to be a hundred percent certain they're going to be well."

"That is exactly what I intend to prevent. Believe in that I have the best intensions for your family, you can visit any of them at any time."

"So you expect us to fly to England anytime to visit? No, that is not possible. I can't fly, Mr. Potter. My diabetes forbids me to. And my wife here is scared about flying with planes."

"We never mentioned flying, we do have other means. You and your wife will be instructed on the proper use when it is time," Professor McGonagall answered.

"Even if I agree, what payment can you offer?"

"Papa, that isn't important."

"Shh, child, if you are to be their servants, you will earn a reasonable salary."

"What would you think... 5 thousand per year?"

"Well, it's not that much, but I suppose that if she's living in your house and you feed her, she wouldn't need too many euros to live." Mr. Basile replied.

"Euros?" Harry asked slightly puzzled.

"Of course, in the UK there are the pounds! Well that is a little better." Caterina offered.

"How much would that be in euros?" Mr. Basile asked.

"Hum... probably about 7500?" she replied.

"Pounds? I was talking about galleons actually," Harry corrected.

"Dad, it's the wizard's currency in the UK . I've read about it in school," she answered. "Let me see, I think it is a one to five formula."

"If I may, I'd say about 37,000 euros," the Professor added.

"Each, I should have mentioned that as well, we'll leave you to discuss the offers, however, we will require an answer about Rico's offer quite soon, as the school year has started. He will need accelerated instruction to make up the years he lost." Harry added.

"Good day, and when you have reached an answer, I believe Caterina is able to contact us with your decision. I believe an owl to Mr. Potter or to me would suffice."

With a wave of his hand the pair vanished from the room, leaving the family behind in mild shock.


"Mr. Potter, you can return to the surgery, if you wear these." The nurse handed him a set of surgical scrubs as she delivered the message.

He quickly pulled the lime green clothes over his regular clothes and followed the nurse to the delivery room, now converted to a surgery. He rushed to Hermione's side and gently took her hand, as she turned her head and smiled.

"It's ok; the baby's going to be fine."

"Shh, it's my job to comfort you," Harry replied.

"Scalpel, a number 3 blade, I believe, will do."

"Suction, there, get the bleeder."

"Got it."

"Retraction, hold the incision open, a bit more. There, that's the one."

Harry tried not to watch as the surgeon had deliberately cut into Hermione. He knew this was how she wanted the baby, to be born in the same hospital she was born in. He held her hand tightly as he watched the blood, her blood from the wound.

"Scalpel, hold back the uterine wall, good, I'm through."

"The cord, it's too tight around the neck."