Unofficial Portkey Archive

For No Reason At All by dumbles
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

For No Reason At All

dumbles

Title: For No Reason At All

Rating: PG-13

Summary: A story consisting of three non-consecutive days in the life of Harry and Hermione- 'Yesterday', 'Today', 'Tomorrow'. Yesterday and Tomorrow are from Hermione's POV and Today is from Harry's POV.

Authors Notes: Ok, this is complete and utter fluff. Pure and simple fluff. I got inspired whilst I was, of all things, cleaning the house. I had a mix CD on and the music inspired me :D There's certain songs that inspired certain parts and they will be credited at the end

~*Yesterday*~

Yesterday. Was it only yesterday?

Yesterday you kissed me for the first time.

Yesterday you told me you loved me.

Yesterday I floated up onto a cloud and I haven't been able to come back down.

Yesterday you kissed me for no reason at all.

It was all very simple how it all happened. We were walking through Hogsmeade. It was snowing. The snow started to fall heavier and you grabbed my hand and pulled me forward, into the shelter of the Hogs Head. We didn't mean to end up there, but we did.

You bought me a Butterbeer, to warm me up whilst we waited for the snow to subside. We drank next to the fire. You held my hand the entire time.

The snow storm passed and we headed back outside. You said you wanted to go to the shrieking shack. I didn't argue- I was enjoying having you to myself.

Halfway there you stopped. Just stopped. You were string straight ahead and I was worried. I thought you might have seen something- I was praying you hadn't. The Death Eaters had been so unactive lately- something big was building. I was praying this wasn't it.

It was something big. Just not what I'd thought.

You turned around as suddenly as you had stopped and you grabbed hold of my hands. You were staring down into my eyes (you had grown so tall!) with this look. I can't describe the look. All it said was 'you are where I want to be right now'.

And then you kissed me,

I couldn't think for a moment. Harry Potter was kissing me?! Why? I was so shocked. The kiss lasted forever it seemed. I didn't know whether or not to tell you when we broke apart that it was my first kiss.

You looked so apologetic afterwards. We stood there for ages, staring in each others eyes, both trying to figure out what we were feeling.

Though I didn't need long to figure out what I was feeling. I had kept my love for you so well hidden I had almost forgotten. But seeing that look on your face, feeling your lips on mine, it all came rushing back to me.

It had started to get darker, and colder and the snow had started to fall before you said anything.

'I love you'

Three words. Three little words.

My heart skipped a beat. I didn't know what to say for a moment. Harry Potter… my best friend… my best friend who I'd pined after for so long… my best friend loved me…

'I love you too'

We walked back to the village, hand in hand, not talking. Ron is waiting for us and he looks at our joined hand curiously, but says nothing. I wonder if he can tell what has happened between us.

We used the Floo network to get back to the Burrow. You helped me out of the fireplace, looking into my eyes so tenderly that I felt like melting to the floor in a big pile of goo.

You walked upstairs to Fred and George's room which had become mine for the summer.

You kissed me again, standing on the landing outside the door, where anyone could have seen us. I knew then that you didn't care who saw us.

I reluctantly pulled myself away from you and climbed into bed and stared at the patterns on the ceiling from the moon.

I woke up this morning with a smile on my face. Why?

Because yesterday you kissed me.

For no reason at all.


Except that you love me.

~*Today*~

Today. Today is the day.

Today I will ask you to marry me.

Today I will ask you to marry me. For no reason at all.

Except that I love you.

My palms are sweating as I stand outside your front door. I can hear you inside, singing away. You're always singing and I find it very sexy. Even though you can't do it well, you love doing it. You get a shine in your eyes, a shine you only get doing two other things.

One is reading.

The other is something that only you only do with me and I'm the only one who knows about that shine you get.

I let myself in, using the key you gave me so long ago. I remember after you did it- you told me you thought it was such a big commitment. Well, my darling, we're about to make a bigger commitment.

You don't see me as I creep around behind you and wrap my arms around your waist. You're sweeping the kitchen floor and it takes my breath away- your hair is tied up but it's falling over your face in curly tendrils.

You jump as I hold you, but you keep sweeping. You're used to me doing things like this.

You're just used to me. And it makes me happy.

I let you finish your housework before I take you outside. We're going for a walk, in the park. It's a beautiful, sunny day. The park is full of children, playing as only children can.

I can't wait to have children with you.

We still down beside the pond. You lay down, your head in my lap. I make circles around your belly button with my finger.

I like your belly button.

We sit this way for an hour, maybe two. My palms are still sweaty. My legs are jittery. The ring I have in the pocket of my jeans seems to weigh a ton.

You notice that something seems to be wrong. You sit up and look at me, worryingly. I smile- the only sign I can give you that I'm ok.

I know it's now or never. I can't chicken out of this. I can't and I won't cause dammit I love you.

'Hermione.'

All I can say is your name.

'Hermione.'

It sounds so lovely. You're just smiling at me, the sunlight reflecting off your hair. How can someone as beautiful as you love me?

'I love you.'

You place your hand on my chest. I wonder if you can feel how fast my heart is beating. I take hold of that hand and let my other hand go fishing in my pocket.

'You're so wonderful.'

You blush crimson red as my hand finds the ring in my pocket. I didn't bring it in the box- you would've seen the shape in my pocket.

'And…'

I pause. My stomach is doing somersaults. My heart is about to burst out my chest.

'I want you to marry me.'

You're staring at me. I pull the ring out of my pocket and the sunlight glints on the diamond in the centre.

'So… so I'm asking you… asking you if you'll marry me…'

You're still staring at me. Oh god, Hermione, please say something. Say something soon. I think I'm about to die.

'Yes.'

Yes… yes… yes…

The three sweetest letters in the world- y, e, s.

I almost whoop out loud, but I manage to restrain myself. I slip the ring onto your finger and thank god, it's a perfect fit.

I grabbed you and kissed you hard, pouring all my longing into the kiss. You obviously felt it because you took me by the hand and led me back to your house.

Today, I asked the beautiful woman sleeping next to me to marry me.

Today, she said yes for no reason at all.

Except that she loves me.

~*Tomorrow*~

Tomorrow I will marry you.

Tomorrow I will vow to love you for as long as I shall live.

For no reason at all.


Except that I love you.

My wedding dress is hanging on the outside of the wardrobe in this motel room. I insisted on staying here tonight- you're not meant to see me the night before the wedding.

I wonder how you're going to react when you see me in the dress. You have no idea of anything about what it will look like, which is good. You're going to be surprised.

My stomach is full of butterflies already and I am yet to even go to bed. I have dreamed of this day for so long and it's almost here. One more sleep.

It's going to be the happiest but saddest day of my life. There are so many people who should be sharing this day with us… your parents, Sirius, Dumbledore, Ginny…

Sometimes late at night I wonder if you still think about Ginny. I've never asked you how you felt about her- just like you never asked me how I felt about Ron. The past is the past- all that matters is that I love you.

And, of course, that you love me.

I wonder what you wrote in your vows. We agreed to write our own. I wrote mine earlier today- I'd been trying for so long to think of the write words to say and they came to me as I was unpacking in this motel room.

Five years. Five years have passed since once cold, snowy day in Hogsmeade you grabbed me and kissed me. You kissed me for no reason at all. And now here we stand, in front of all our friends and family vowing to love each other for as long as we both shall live. I never break a promise or a vow and this is one I will keep forever. Because Harry James Potter I have been in love with you since I was eleven years old and I will be in love with you until I'm one hundred and eleven years old.

I've never meant anything as much as I mean those vows. I can't wait to share the whole rest of my life with you. I can't wait to buy a house together, to have children together, to take family holidays, to watch our own family grow up and marry, to share the joy of grandchildren with you, to watch as you grow old.

Tomorrow, I am going to marry you.

Tomorrow I am going to vow to spend the rest of my life with you.

For no reason at all.


Except that I love you.

Musical Inspiration: 'Yesterday' was inspired by Shimmer by Fuel and Punk Rock Princess by Something Corporate.

'Today' was inspired by New American Classic by Taking Back Sunday.

And 'Tomorrow' was inspired by My Skin by Natalie Merchant and Looking Back On Today by The Ataris.