Unofficial Portkey Archive

I Wish I Had All the Answers by Gaya Hriive
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

I Wish I Had All the Answers

Gaya Hriive

AN: Just a little one shot songfic to Jack Johnson's "No Other Way." Enjoy!

When your mind is a mess so is mine I can't sleep

cause it hurts when I think my thoughts aren't at peace

With the plans that we make the chances we take

They're not yours they're not mine

There's waves that can break

"Harry, I can't sleep. Will you talk to me?"

Harry grunted and rolled over to face her but kept his eyes closed.

"I'm scared Harry. I'm scared of what is going to happen when we go to the Burrow tomorrow. I'm afraid to see them all. I know it's irrational, but I can't help it. What do you think?"

Harry groaned once more and pried his tired eyes open. He tried to focus his eyes and could make out a worried look on Hermione's face. Her brow was furrowed and she looked expectant. Harry wanted to dazzle her by saying something brilliant, but he couldn't think of anything worthwhile to say.

"Err, Hermione, there's no reason to be afraid. They'll be fine."

Hermione bit her bottom lip and looked down.

"But we said such horrible things to one another. I am going to apologize but I'm not sure that it's going to be enough."

All the words that we said and the words that we mean

words can fall short, can't see the unseen

cause the world is awake for somebody's sake

Now please close your eyes

Woman, please get some sleep

Harry propped himself up on one elbow and reached over to touch Hermione's face lightly. He saw how worried she was and although he'd never admit it to her, he had that same sick feeling deep in his gut.

"Hermione, everything is going to be ok. I know that we all said some things that we didn't mean and what we did mean we didn't say. If Ron hadn't forgiven us then he wouldn't have asked us to come to lunch with the family. Everything happens for a reason Hermione, every word that we say has a meaning, every though that we think has a consequence, but life goes on. Stop fretting, everything will be fine. Please, close your eyes and get some sleep."

He placed a gentle kiss on her mouth and lay down on his back, staring at the ceiling.

Even if things did go back to normal, Harry knew that none of them would ever forget the horrible fight that the Trio had had. He remembered bitterly the day that he and Hermione had told Ron that they were in love. They had both steeled themselves for something bad, but it had been much worse than anything they had prepared for. Harry had broken the news and Ron had gone fire engine red and was very quiet. Then out of nowhere he had swung a punch at Harry who wasn't quick enough and caught a fist to the jaw.

It was all a blur after that. Harry, in defense, had thrown himself at Ron and the two young men had a battle royale in the middle of the Gryffindor common room. Hermione screamed at them to stop and then Ron turned his rage against her. He had shouted at her that she was a whore and what kind of woman would "throw herself at two best friends."

Hermione, crying wildly, had slapped Ron in the face and told him he was a pathetic excuse for a human being. Then she said five words that stopped Ron in his tracks. "I would never love you." Ron had cursed loudly at them both and walked out of the common room and Harry and Hermione's lives.

and know that if I knew all of the answers

I would not hold them from you

Know all of the things that I know

we told each other there is no other way

Harry ended his thoughts of that horrible day two years ago and reached out for Hermione's hand. She caressed his fingers gently and moved closer to him.

"You're thinking about it too aren't you?"

Harry nodded and then turned his head to look at her.

"You know that I tell you everything right? That I don't keep secrets from you?"

Hermione's eyes welled up with tears and she bit her bottom lip.

"I know, Harry. That's what is so special about us. We can be completely honest with one another. I love that I can tell you anything. I just wish we had all the answers, you know?"

"Yea, I do. I wish I knew why things happened like this. Like I said, everything happens for a reason. I just wish I knew the answer as to why so I could tell you and calm your worrying."

Too much silence can be misleading

You're drifting I can hear it in the way that you're breathing

We don't really need to find reason

cause out the same door that it came well it's leaving

It's leaving

Hermione became quiet and Harry listened as her breath started to deepen. She squeezed his hand and spoke groggily.

"It would be nice to know but I guess we don't really need to try to find a reason. Things happen just like that; gone as quickly as they come."

Leaving like a day that's done and part of a season

Resolve is just a concept that's as dead as the leaves

But at least we could sleep, it's all that we need

When we wake we would find, our minds would be free

To go to sleep

Harry closed his eyes and allowed his mind to wander. Circumstance is like a short day in a long season, I guess. We try to find resolve in our decisions and actions but it's pointless. Our minds are never really at ease, not matter what we do. It would be nice to be free of worry and doubt. I just hope that Ron has forgiven us. We surely have forgiven him.

"The only thing I never question is why I love you, Hermione. If you are unsure about everything else, then please, at least know that."

Hermione sighed in response as she allowed long awaited sleep to overtake her. She let her mind be free of worry and doubt and she hoped that everything would work out with Ron. Somewhere in her heart she knew that it would, even if she didn't have all the answers, she knew without a doubt that she and Harry were ready to have Ron back in their lives.

and know that if I knew all of the answers

I would not hold them from you

Know all of things that I know

cause we told each other there is no other way

FIN.


-->