Unofficial Portkey Archive

Must I Hide? by mem0rycafe
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Must I Hide?

mem0rycafe

Must I Hide?

Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter or anything else to do with Harry Potter. I am making NO money off of this.

Prologue

He was the ultimate accessory to have on your arm for public appearances. His celebrity status was known throughout even the lesser parts or Britain. Where he was going to be, a crowd would draw, if only for the chance to see a glance from him. Guys wanted to be him, girls wanted to be with him. Mothers dreamed of matching their daughters up with him, while fathers figured out which spell would work best to make sure he never showed around again.

He was mysterious, although the world covered his every move. He was secretive, even with old acquaintances selling photos of him to the tabloids. He was noble even though he wasn't royalty. He was beautiful and graceful. His muscles rippling with every move.

He was broken in more ways then could be counted, but the world would never know that. His eyes had a magical way of lighting up when he was around those who expected it of him. Then, the light would go away once he was alone again. His face could go from pensive to inanimate with the simple click of a door as someone left.

His life was a show. His demeanor an act. His schedule was a daily juggling contest and he would never allow himself to be the first to drop a ball. He dressed in the latest fashions always. He knew the hot spots to party. He knew the best places to play quidditch. He was good friends with all the best chefs.

He could move from person to person, making each one feel special. A smile here, a touch on the arm there. That was all it took. And then, just as swift as he had come up, he would move on to the next person. Telling a funny joke, or regaling stories of when he had been in school. He knew when to wink, laugh, smile.

He knew how to lie, manipulate, and fade into a shell of a person.

He didn't live his life for himself anymore. There was no point. His one reason for living had left him one morning with a note written in the mist on his bathroom mirror while he was showering.

"Love is like a role that we play. I'm sorry, I was never a good actor."

He had stared at his mirror as the mist slowly faded away and he was just left himself to stare at. It was at that moment that he decided that if what he had had with her was love, then he no longer wanted any part of it.

He had never thought he would love to begin with. Then he had met her. She had been beautiful, funny, smart, talented, everything a guy could ever want. When she was happy it showed through her entire face. Her eyes lit up, her smile was brilliant, her laugh was beautiful. He first saw her at a function laughing and from that moment he wanted to dedicate every minute of his life to making her always want to laugh.

He immediately had become infatuated with her. Approaching her was no easy task, and he had never been so nervous. And when he had finally gotten up the nerve to approach her, he almost didn't say anything. Some how though he had managed to win her over.

It wasn't long before hands were slipping under shirts, and buckles were coming undone. Passion didn't nearly describe what they had together. Their bodies reacted like there was no other out there. They fit together perfectly in every sense. He knew when to bite her neck to make her scream and she knew when to scratch his back to hear him moan.

Their relationship was dangerous in the way that all passionate ones are. Still, he was more in love with her then he had ever been for anyone. And she was as in love as she had wanted him to believe she was. In the end though, she had taken his heart and torn it in two.

She had always left him breathless, from the moment he first met her. And, as always, while staring at that note, she had left him breathless. But this time, he didn't want to breath, he didn't want to go on.

It was in that moment he swore off ever letting anyone effect him ever again. She had played him, and a fool he had been. Never again. From now on he would control everything. He would break hearts, and leave notes written in mist.

And as every girl he had been with since could tell you. He knew every word to whisper while in the throws of passion. He knew how to touch a girl to make her toes curl. He knew how to wine and dine and romance until she fell in love. And then, just as she was getting truly comfortable with him, he'd be gone.

He was the ultimate accessory that never went out of style. He was the ultimate bachelor to capture. He was the ultimate heartbreaker. And that's all he wanted to be anymore.

Draco Malfoy had been broken, and no one knew.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

She had never been one to fall in love. Not for fear of love, and not for disliking it. She didn't have the time, the drive, or the focus. She was too fickle to stay with one boy for long. She was too busy to devote herself to a relationship. And she just didn't care enough that she hadn't yet gotten married to change it.

She had many suitors vying for her hand. Not because she was, necessarily, the most beautiful girl. Although she was beautiful. Mostly she was just a breath of fresh air to be around. She was friendly and sociable to everyone. She laughed at everything, never bothering to notice the sad things in life. She didn't waste her time with boredom. She found interest in anything and everything.

She was at heart a homebody, but loved to go out with her best friends to parties and bars. And her circle of best friends was always changing, not that she ever had a falling out with any of them. They would just eventually get married and get busy and she would find new people to hang out with.

Her motto in life had become work hard and play harder. She worked long hours to improve the hospitals she worked at and then played even harder on the weekends. Sometimes her family worried about her. Worried that she wasn't taking care of herself enough. But she didn't care, she knew her limits.

Her friends saw her as lively and fun, never doubting the good times they had with her. However, there were times when she felt something off. Like really she was living a lie and that truly she wasn't happy. Sometimes she felt that she was living such a facade that she didn't even know it. But, as far as she knew she loved her life and she wasn't going to delve into feelings she barely bothered to acknowledge.

The one thing in her life that she didn't like were her dreams. They were never happy. Her dreams were nightmares, that occurred every night, most times more then once a night. They were terrible dreams that she couldn't tell anyone about. None the less they tended to weigh heavily on her mind.

Ginny Weasley had a fabulous life, yet she couldn't manage to have sweet dreams.

(A/N Thanks to my BETA. I'm sure if I try and stop writing this she will kick my ass for you guys! Sound cool? Yeah ok.. well READ AND REVIEW! Please and thank you!)