Unofficial Portkey Archive

Heart to Heart by Classic Cowboy
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Heart to Heart

Classic Cowboy

Harry flew around the Quidditch Pitch at neck break speed, doing flips and barrel rolls, and dead man curves. It was well past curfew, but being the last night before summer holiday, and especially what has happened in what's left of his life, Harry doubted anyone would mind.

He then lowered toward the stands, and hopped of the broom, then sat down and brought his Firebolt across his lap. "Those where some pretty good moves up there," came a voice beside him.

"Hermione?" Harry asked looking at his bushy haired best friend, "What are you doing up at this hour?"

"I could ask you the same thing, you know," said Hermione, as she took a seat beside him. "Can't sleep, can you?"

"How did you know I was here?" Harry asked, ignoring the question.

"Ron told me, though I wasn't at all surprised," Hermione responded, and then looked over the pitch, "I know you miss it …"

"I'm going to give Ron my Firebolt in the morning," Harry said sadly, "I don't have much use for it any longer."

"You want to talk about what happened?" Hermione said straight out, but sucked in a breath, in fear of how he'd react. Harry had seemed way more unpredictable this past year.

"Not really …" Harry sighed, "But I need to face up to it sooner or later, might as well get it over with …" He then leaned forward resting his face in his hands. "I just don't know how."

"I'm here," Hermione said soothingly resting her hand on his shoulder, "Just tell me how you feel, just talk about what ever is on your mind, and I'll listen."

"It's all really fuzzy, I just keep thinking about what little time I had with him, and the opportunities I had to spend time with him, to learn of my parents, that I passed up. Then I think about how busy you and Ron are, being Prefects and all. You, Ron and Sirius, you're the only family I've ever known, and with Sirius … g-gone, and you two don't have time for my blubbering and sulking over Sirius … I guess I just feel … I don't know … I feel alone."

"Hold it right there," Hermione said standing up, then taking Harry's hand, "Get that broom in the air, you're taking me riding." Hermione ordered firmly.

"But I thought you were afraid of flying?" said Harry, confused.

"I'm afraid of flying alone," Hermione corrected, "I've kind of always wanted…" She started but then turned away to hide her blush.

"Kind of wanted to do what?" Harry said, a smile slowly growing on his lips.

"I kind of … err … wanted to see what it was like for you …" Hermione said growing darker red by the second. "You know … up there …" She then made an eep sound as Harry picked her up under her arms, and placed her on the broom in front of him.

"Stay still and hold on to me, ok?" Harry said, with the same type of smile on his face as children have on Christmas morning. She then let out a squeal as Harry sped the Firebolt high into the air. "Open your eyes, Hermione," Harry whispered in her ear as he took a spin around the towers of Hogwarts.

"Harry, they'll see us, we'll get in trouble!" Hermione scolded, holding onto his arms.

"This is worth any and all detentions," Harry smiled, resting his chin on her shoulder so he could see.

"It's beautiful up here," Hermione sighed, relaxing her grip slightly.

"That's why I love it … loved it," Harry said with a sigh, "It was very therapeutic."

"It's a little high up …" Hermione commented. "But I know you wouldn't let me fall," she said not like she was telling Harry not to let her fall, or to reassure herself, but as if it was as common knowledge, like two plus two equals four.

They took a few more laps, before returning to the stands, and sitting down together once again. "Feeling any better, Harry?" Hermione asked, studying his face.

"Yes, a lot actually …" Harry replied forcing a smile.

"No you're not," Hermione retorted, cocking an eyebrow.

"And what makes you such an export on whether I'm feeling better or not?" Harry said mockingly.

"Being your best friend for the last five years," Hermione replied, trying desperately to keep from smiling, "I bloody well ought to!"

"Five years?" Harry asked looking down in disbelief. "That doesn't sound right … I feel like it was just yesterday you came on the compartment asking if Ron or I had seen a toad. Then it does feel like we also have always been together."

"We just have two years left together." Hermione looked down and sighed, her lip trembling slightly.

Harry brought an arm over her shoulder, "You're wrong on that one, Hermione. We've got a whole life time together … Uh you, me, and Ron, I mean," Harry said turning slightly pink, but that faded as his face took a sad expression. "You two are all I really have left. I have no plans on letting that go."

"Harry?" Hermione asked starting to speak up, but Harry cut her off.

"Hermione when you went down, from the curse …" Harry said, a single tear forming in the corner of his eye, "I don't think I was ever so scared in my entire life. Thinking back, I'm not sure what I would of done if I had lost you too."

"You would of went on as you are going to do," Hermione stated as if it was obvious, "You'll continue your education here, and when the time comes, you'll face Voldemort and you will win."

"I wish I had that much faith," Harry sighed, "I don't know what's going to happen, not anymore …"

"I don't either Harry, but the truth is I never knew," said Hermione, looking up at the stars and the half moon. "All I know is that you are a great wizard, I've always thought that, and I know … deep down, that you have what it takes to save us all. I truly believe in you, Harry."

"I'm not really as good as you though," said Harry, before holding up a finger, "I know, I know, books and cleverness, bravery, and courage, I remember."

"You really remember all that …" said Hermione, hiding her blush in her hands.

"Yup," Harry nodded with a triumphant smile. "See, I do listen to you!"

"Harry, there's … there's something else …" Hermione said with a gulp. "But promise you'll hear me out … I'm not sure I can say what I need to, and be interrupted, ok?"

"Ok, I'll hear you out," Harry yawned. They got lost in each other's eyes for a moment, then quickly looked away.

"Ok … here goes …" Hermione gulped,

"Out here in the quiet of the night
beneath the stars and moon
we both know we got something on our minds
you won't admit but it's true
you look at me
I look away

I practice all the things that I could say
Line by line, every word
I tell myself today would be the day
But every time I lose my nerve
I look at you
You look away

Why?
Why do you turn away?
It must be you're afraid like me.
I try but I can't pretend that I
Don't feel for you the way I do
can't you see?

I want to tell you what I'm feeling
But I don't know how to start
I want to tell you but now I'm afraid
That you might break my heart
Oh why should anything so easy
Ever be so hard to do
I want to tell you what I'm feeling
And to say that … I love you.
"

She then let out a deep breath, and looked toward Harry to see his reaction, "Harry?" she asked, seeing that he was leaned back in the seat fast asleep, "Honestly," she said irritated for a moment, but seeing him looking so relaxed and at peace, looking so much like a cute little boy, melted all hostile feelings, "Maybe next year you'll hear me," Hermione whispered, kissing his scar, then cuddling up beside him.

--

"There they are," said Professor McGonagall, at the entrance of the stands. "Should we call for them?" she asked Professor Dumbledore, who was standing at her side.

"No, Minerva," Dumbledore said with a smile. "We can inform him that the ban from Quidditch has been dropped in the morning, right now, let them have their time together." He then made a blanket appear from then air and wrap itself around the two sleeping teenagers, "Right now, we must gather the other professors. I feel a pool is in order."

"Like the one we had with James and Lily?" McGonagall asked as they exited.

"Yes, Minerva," Dumbledore nodded, "but this time, I will come out ahead of you, I'm afraid."

"We'll see, Albus," said McGonagall, giving one of her rare smiles, "We'll see."

--

Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter or any of the related characters. And the song used in the story (see the italics) is 'Misty's Song' from Pokemon.

C. Cowboy: not much to really say. Just had this idea reading the ending of OotP. Hope ya'all liked it. I'd also like to think VirtualFaerie for Beta Reading this. And please review everybody!