Unofficial Portkey Archive

Sweet Baby Harry by dumbles
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Sweet Baby Harry

dumbles

Title: Sweet Baby Harry

Rating: G

Summary: It's been three weeks since their son was born, but Lily and James still haven't agreed on a name! One-shot, fluff about choosing the perfect name.

Authors Notes: Inspiration came from listening to 'Sweet Baby James' by James Taylor. Brilliant song, makes me cry :D

It's all just 100% fluff, just a nice fun piece :D

I hope you enjoy.

~*~

The house was dark as James snuck inside, closing the door carefully behind him. He crept through the living room, managing to avoid the furniture and sighed in relief when he made it into the kitchen and had the light from the moon shining in, lighting his way. He crossed the room briskly and bounded up the stairs two at a time, as quietly as he could.

He landed on the first floor like a cat and quickly looked around, before taking eight small steps up the hallway, pausing outside the door at the end. He pressed his ear against it and all he could hear inside was a gentle cooing. He opened the door slowly, taking care not to squeak the hinges.

A night-light lit the room in a dim light and James crept towards the wooden cot in the middle of the room. He poked his head over the top and just stared. Laying awake, underneath blue blankets, was a small baby boy with jet black hair and bright green eyes.

'Hello, son,' he whispered, pushing the boys gentle hair along his forehead with his index finger. 'I hope you were a good boy for mummy.'

The baby cooed and closed it's eyes. James felt tears brim to his eyes. He wiped them hurriedly, still to manly to let anyone know that he cried over his son.

A cough from the other side of the room startled him and he turned around to see his wife watching him from the doorway. She was wearing only her nightgown and bare feet, her long red hair curling around her shoulders and face.

'You're late,' she said simply, coming up behind him and wrapping her arms around his waist.

'I'm sorry,' James said, turning his head and kissing her gently. 'Do you forgive me?'

'How could I not?' Lily replied, resting her head on his shoulder and staring at the tiny baby. 'Can you believe he is ours?'

'I still can't believe you're mine, let alone the baby,' Lily gave a soft laugh.

'You know, we need to think of a name. It's been three weeks.'

'I still don't know why you don't agree with James Jnr. We could call him JJ,' James said as they walked slowly out of the room, arm in arm. Lily laughed again.

'I'm not naming him James Jnr. Can you imagine when he's older and has to tell people he's named after his father? The poor boy!'

'Hey, what's wrong with being named after me?' James said, looking offended. Lily stared into his eyes with her piercing stare and just shook her head.

'Imagine when he goes to Hogwarts- half the staff will hate him before he even gets there,' she replied.

'I don't think they'll know what to think- half you, half me- hell, he'll really be a smart-arse,' James joked and Lily slapped him playfully.

'What were we talking about?' Lily asked as they entered their bedroom and she sat on the bed and watched James as he began getting ready for bed.

'What to name our son.'

'Ah, right. What about Daniel?' Lily suggested.

'Veto.'

'Michael?'

'Veto.'

'Claude?'

'Veto.'

'Aaron?'

'Veto.'

'Jack?'

'Veto.'

Lily paused and rolled her eyes.

'Will you agree on anything?' she sighed.

'Yes,' James said, turning around and smiling cheekily. 'James Jnr.'

'VETO!'

'Will you agree on anything?' he asked smartly, causing Lily to throw a pillow at him. 'Hey! Ouch! That bloody hurt!'

'Well don't be a smart arse,' she replied, laying back.

James pounced. He landed on top of Lily and at once began tickling her everywhere he could think of. Lily shrieked with laughter and tried to push him away, but James was too strong and had her pinned.

'Stop!' she gasped and he sat up slightly and stared at her.

'James Jnr?'

'No,' she said, looking at the roof thoughtfully. 'What about Harry? Harry James.'

'Harry James,' James repeated. 'I like it.'

'What?' Lily asked in shock. 'No veto?'

'No veto,' James said, standing up and began pretending to point to imaginary people standing beside him. 'Oh yes, this is my wife Lily and our son Harry.'

He smiled at Lily who was looking at him like he was slightly insane.

'It just rolls in together,' he said, shrugging his shoulders.

'So we're agreed?'

'Agreed,' he said with a smile. 'Harry James Potter.'

He bent down and gave Lily a brief kiss on the lips.

'I love you.'

'And I love you, James Potter.'