Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Seventh Duel by Lang
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Seventh Duel

Lang

The raven-haired boy sat on the swing, gently leaning back and forth as the swing went forwards and backwards. The chain rubbed against the crossbar of the swing set, creating a sound barely heard by anyone who was not in the park. His unofficial sanctuary where he visited daily and cleared his thoughts had become the park set at the corner of Wisteria Walk and Privet Drive. He would sit there for hours on end to relive his life over and over in his mind. It was a bit depressing save a few things, but the reminder of a lack of biological family that actually cared for him still tore at his heart. So here he sat, ignoring the cloaked Aurors scattered in the area.

They thought they were clever. If he wanted to he could grab each and every one of their cloaks, revealing the person behind them. He didn't know when it happened, but he steadily grew into some sort of rage. It fueled him; he silently dared anyone to cross him. Harry became obsessed with power. He would do things he couldn't normally do. He didn't have to think about what he wanted. Somewhere deep inside his subconscious were his deepest desires and if they were possible at that specific time, they just happened. If he was hungry, food was there - not that he'd ever eat it. If he was thirsty, a goblet filled with his favorite drink, pumpkin juice, was there to satisfy him. If he were bored, a book would appear; if he were angry something would present itself for him to vent his anger on.

A snowy owl drifted from the sky onto a nearby tree. The letter she was carrying was from the one person she knew would get him out of his state of mind. She wouldn't let her Harry get into trouble. No, he was to be safe. So she took it upon herself to convince his friend to write a letter. She still didn't know how she did it, but this girl was smart, she knew exactly what her Harry needed. Though most owls weren't as in tune with their owners' needs as she was with Harry's, she had a feeling that this girl would come to her Harry's rescue. And so she had.

Hedwig fluttered down to Harry's shoulder. She nipped his ear gently but he didn't react. She hooted her most gentle hoot. Harry looked up to see his beautiful snowy owl, staring into her eyes for what seemed like minutes before he gently undid the letter attached to her leg. Taking off his shoulder, she turned around and gently landed on his knee. With the letter in his hand, she gently nudged his hand to get him to read the letter. He patted Hedwig very gently, before pulling a lighter he had stolen from Dudley and carefully lit the letter on fire. He threw it in the sand a few feet from him. He no longer cared who it was from - he had a good idea who.

Ginny had been sending him letters all summer; she didn't care about the risks. Only after receiving several of these letters had he written back saying he was no longer interested in her. Of course, the redhead didn't buy it for one second and wouldn't stop sending persistent letters in an attempt to change his mind. He was too sick and tired of reading them to care about them anymore. Disposing of them the only way he could that would vent his anger and destroy the letter at the same time, and to be the best solution. Unfortunately this time the letter didn't seem to want to burn. There was some kind of charm that kept it from getting destroyed, which he half-heartedly suspected was beyond Ginny's capabilities. So it continually burned. He smiled; he'd let the clueless Aurors deal with it.

He left the park with Hedwig on his shoulders. She had been sad lately because of her Harry's behavior. The snowy owl was not impressed with Harry's dismissal of her delivery, and decided that there was only one thing left to do. She bit his ear, hard, and flew off his shoulder. Harry grimaced and grabbed his ear, noticing blood on his fingers. He sighed; he'd been ignoring her too much. He'd have to apologize and hope she would forgive him. Harry held his finger on the wound and applied pressure so the bleeding would stop.

He was walking along the far side of Privet Drive, when Dudley and his gang rounded the corner and spotted him. Deciding they'd sneak up on him, Harry prepared himself. Dudley knew all too well and was very reluctant to take any part in it. But he couldn't back down in front of his friends.

Piers Polkiss decided he would try to hit Harry, jumping from the bushes he went to land a blow straight to the side of his head. Harry merely stopped and looked at the young man from the corner of his eye.

"Immobulus!" Harry thought. Piers froze. Harry looked at him with a grave expression, then took his index finger and pushed him over. Harry laughed and walked away. He expected the Ministry of Magic's owl for underage magic to be at number four, Privet Drive by the time he got there.

"What did you do!?" Dudley snarled

Harry casually walked away, deciding to let the Aurors deal with it. Little did he know that one of the Aurors on guard tonight was none other than Nymphadora Tonks. She ordered the other four Aurors on guard to erase their collective memories and to cast the counter to Harry's spell. Harry was going to have to deal with a thorough talking-to tonight.

Speeding ahead of Harry, Tonks Apparated into his bedroom. She tapped her foot lightly on the floor. She chose to ignore the conditions of the room for the time being - the bed was broken, the bed side table had cracks all over it, and to top it off, the wardrobe had one door, hanging on its hinges. The comforter on the bed had holes and was deplorably thin, the clothes in the wardrobe were all hand-me-downs and there were books of Dark Magic on his bedside table. Tonks covered herself in the invisibility cloak and awaited Harry's return.

Harry walked into the house. The robust chest of Vernon Dursley appeared in his line of vision as the older man looked at him and sneered.

"Go to your room. Do not come out. We'll bring dinner to you when we feel like you deserve it. Only a couple more days with you boy, and then you're out of here, never to curse our doorstep again!"

Harry merely looked at him. The day he turned 17, Vernon would be the first to die. He trudged up the stairs and before he even entered the room, he knew someone was there. He closed his eyes. It was a female, mid 20s, and her wand had a core made of something Harry couldn't recognize. He grabbed his wand out of his pocket. He still had his eyes closed. She was next to his bedside table. He opened the door slowly, noticing she was under an invisibility cloak. He still couldn't put a face to go with the other facts he was sensing. He pretended he didn't notice her. He took off his shirt; wand still clutched in his hand, turned and fired a stunner at her. His breath slowly returned to normal and he walked over to take off the invisibility cloak. He gasped as he removed the cloak. He quickly picked her up easily and laid her on his bed.

"Ennervate!" and she woke up.

Tonks eyes fluttered open. It was dark. She then remembered where she was and sat upright, looking at the green eyes staring at her. Her eyes locked and she could see little swirls of green in his eyes. She finally regained herself and her expression turned to anger.

"Sorry `Dora thought you were someone else."

She looked at him and slapped him across the cheek. Harry stood there with his face to one-side. His face was tingly and could feel the red rise in his left cheek. He lifted his hand to rub his cheek.

"I suppose you think I deserved that?" said Harry evenly and cold

She cast a silencing charm on the room.

"You're damn right you did. Attacking your cousin's friends, and lighting fires in the park." She yelled angrily

"I'm full aware of what I've been doing thanks."

Tonks looked at him taken aback by his tone. He clearly didn't care.

"I also suggest your Aurors stop following me. I won't be as forgiving to your new recruit as last time."

Tonks was again taken aback once again. She jumped up from the bed and started to pace the room. She really had a hard time thinking straight. The aroma of the room wasn't at all pleasing; a smell between sweat and an old book that hadn't been opened in years. After about ten seconds she regained her composure.

"How did you know we had a new recruit?" she asked.

"Please, Moody isn't the only one who can see through invisibility cloaks. I just don't need a marble to do it. I don't know how many times he's wet himself."

"What's happened to you Harry? Ever since you've come back you've been getting surlier everyday. Dobby was kind enough to point out you weren't getting sleep, or getting fed very much either. He was getting so depressed about you he stopped helping!"

Harry smiled. He knew full well why Dobby was no longer helping the Aurors try to interfere.

"That's because he's no longer allowed to. I forbid him to do it." Harry informed her.

"What do you mean, you forbid him to do it?" she asked

Harry didn't respond. He merely lied down on his newly vacated bed.

"Harry! What do you mean you forbid him to do it!?" her voice was starting to rise again

"Dobby bonded with me, and I forbid him to relay information to you."

If Tonks was expecting anything, that was definitely not it.

"That's it, you're coming to Grimmauld. Remus would love to have you, and with the way you've been acting hopefully he'll smarten you up too."

Harry merely shrugged his shoulders, he was glad to leave this place. He watched as she flicked her wand at various things. She finally noticed what types of things were flying towards his open trunk. There were tattered clothes, and several other things that just didn't meet the criteria for someone as wealthy and dignified as Harry Potter. She looked from the items in the trunk to Harry. She flinched as he nodded to her. She flicked her wand again and all the hand-me-downs were left on the floor. She flicked her wand again at the necessary items. Books, quills, potion supplies, anything she felt he needed. She looked at the Dark Magic books on his desk. Without him noticing she shrunk them and pocketed them. Without letting him get up, she grabbed his arm and apparated them both to number 12 Grimmauld Place, or what he though was number 12 Grimmauld Place. She then thrust a piece of paper in his hand.

The headquarters for the Order of the Phoenix is number 12 Grimmauld Place, London.

Instantly, the house appeared. She burned the note and still gripping his arm brought him inside.

"Take your trunk up to your room. I expect you're a little tired, you go on to bed. I'll take care of Mafalda Hopkirk for you." She said gently, finally releasing her grip on his arm.

Harry stumbled up the stairs, when his trunk suddenly started to follow him. With his trunk following him from behind, he walked to his room and opened the door. It was just as grungy as it had always been. The moonlight was shining in his room and the little furniture he had was in very poor condition. The desk in the room was covered in dust. Dobby was there waiting for him, obviously whoever the new Secret-Keeper was had informed Dobby already.

"Master Harry, sir!" Dobby squeaked

"Don't call me `master' Dobby. How many times do I have to tell you? Don't make me go back on our agreement." his voice had risen slightly and he noticed the hurt in Dobby's eyes. "Sorry Dobby, don't take it personally. I've had a rough night."

Dobby's ears perked up a little and carefully started to pack away his few clothes that Tonks had deemed acceptable. Harry merely thanked Dobby and lied on the bed. Not caring to cover himself in a blanket, he laid his head on his pillow. After about 10 minutes he finally fell asleep.

When Harry awoke late in the morning he heard shouting from the kitchen. His throat was dry and it felt like he had swallowed sand. Harry fixed the bent glasses that had somehow managed to get under him from his face as he slept. "Dobby…" Harry called

A soft pop, and Dobby was there with some pumpkin juice. Harry thanked Dobby and took the goblet and downed it in one gulp. He then decided to go see what all the commotion was about downstairs.

"He had these on his desk, Remus! Just look at the bloody titles! Look how far off he's gone! I knew Hermione was right when she said something. Oh why didn't I listen! That girl is the only one who seems to have Harry's best interests at heart. I should have listened to her!" Tonks voice was shrill and anyone could see that she was worried

"Calm down, he's with us now. I'm sure there's a logical reason why he's been reading into the Dark Arts. Just don't pester him, he'll tell us when he wants. I'm sure that Dumbledore's death did numbers on him. Besides I think, learning Legilimency and Occlumency are very important."

"They're very important skills for him! But forgive me when he's reading, Legilimency to Hurt Your Enemies, I get a bit worried!"

Lupin put an arm around Tonks, and pulled her into a hug. Meanwhile Harry had just heard the whole thing and his nerves were wearing thin. Who the hell were they to talk about him behind his back? Who were they to question what effect the death of Dumbledore did to him? Harry went down the stairs, his face red and ready to yell.

"Get out!" he yelled

Lupin and Tonks just stared at him. But just as they were about to protest some unknown force opened the door and pushed Tonks and Lupin into the street. The door slammed shut.

"Did I do that?" he wondered aloud

"No," said a voice behind him. Startled, Harry turned round to see Phineas Nigellus' portrait speaking to him. "You own this house, Harry. You told them to leave, and the wards in the house pushed them out, knowing they would refuse. It's not a gentle process, I expect, you should probably apologize."

Harry sent daggers with his eyes towards the portrait. Phineas merely returned his gaze and left the portrait.

"We should get Hermione to talk to him." Tonks said, rubbing her behind to clean herself off. Lupin nodded but decided they should try to get Ron first.

Lupin and Tonks then decided apparated to The Burrow to inform the Weasleys of what just happened. They wanted Ron to see if he could reason with him, but he was out in Diagon Alley with the twins. So going with their first choice, they apparated outside the Granger's house. It was a fairly large house. White siding and a beautiful garden along the walls, a white picket fence surrounded the yard, so they opened the gate and knocked on the door. The door opened to a woman with brown hair and brown eyes. She had a slender figure and was draped in a house-coat.

"Yes?" Emma Granger asked, standing at the door.

"Yes, I'm Remus Lupin, and this is Nymphadora Tonks, we were wondering if we could speak to Hermione?"

"Remus Lupin? Oh yes! I remember, you were a professor of Hermione's a few years ago, right?"

Lupin nodded.

"Yes, well come in, come in. Would you like some tea?" she asked

"I think we'll be here awhile trying to sort things out. So, yes, tea might be best." Lupin said gravely

Dan Granger looked up from his paper to see a tattered robed wizard with quite a few gray hairs. The witch standing beside him had bright pink hair, and was dressed in an odd purple color.

"Hermione! Dan! I need you at the table." Emma called

Dan folded up his paper and made his way to the kitchen table, as Hermione walked down the stairs. As soon as she saw Lupin and Tonks, both with grave expressions she thought the worst.

"Lupin, Tonks? What's the matter? Has something happened?" The brown haired witch asked

"Something has happened to Harry." Lupin replied

"What's wrong with Harry? He's not hurt is he? What did his cousins do to him? Where is he now!?" she asked impatiently

"Hermione, calm down; Harry is fine. He's just taken a turn for the worst, at the moment." Tonks replied

"What do you mean?" Hermione asked

"He's been into the dark arts. I only found some books on his desk, but I don't doubt he's been reading more."

"I thought Harry was a noble one, wasn't he?" Mr. Granger asked

"He lost his mentor at the end of the term. We fear it's had more of an effect on him than we thought possible."

"So what does this have to do with Hermione?" Emma Granger asked

"We thought Hermione might be able to set him straight." Lupin replied

"Absolutely not! She will n-" Mr. Granger's voice was rising but Emma put her hand on his shoulder gently.

Emma nodded towards Lupin.

"With all due respect, Mr. and Mrs. Granger, there's only one person I'm confident that Harry will not hurt in anyway. That is your daughter."

Hermione looked up from her hands with a shocked expression on her face.

"Wouldn't it maybe make more sense if you sent Ginny?"

"She's been sending him letters all summer. He's been burning them, right in front of muggles. Not to mention Ginny put a charm to make it unburnable, he just left it in view for everyone to see! Not to mention he used spells on his cousin's friends."

Hermione's gasps inadvertently told her parents that Harry's actions were not very commendable. "Wait, did you say that Ginny put the Inflammable Charm on the letters?"

Tonks nodded. "The one he lit up today just sat there, burning. The parchment was still intact."

"That letter was from me," Hermione admitted. "Hedwig was here this morning and she kept nipping at me until I sat down and wrote something to Harry. I should have known something was off when he didn't write back." What's gotten into you Harry? Hermione thought sadly.

Shortly after Hermione was packed and ready to go, Tonks and Lupin escorted Hermione to Grimmauld Place. Tonks gave Hermione the piece of paper to broaden the Fidelius Charm to her. The house suddenly appeared in between two others and as she approached she looked behind her and noticed Lupin and Tonks waiting at the end of the drive.

"You're not coming?" Hermione asked

"He kicked us out. It's all on you."

Hermione just looked back at them wide eyed. She turned on her heel and continued towards the door. She rapped on the door several times before it finally opened. Before she knew it she was dragged inside and had a wand at her throat.

She inhaled a large amount of air before someone spoke.

"Hermione?" Harry said gently

"Harry?"

"What're you doing here, Hermione? I thought you were with your parents." Harry asked.

"I wanted to see you. Aren't I allowed to see my best friend?"

Harry's gaze softened and then hardened once more.

"I suppose Lupin and Tonks brought you. Probably want back in. They didn't have to go get you, all they had to do was ask."

"Harry, I came because I wanted to."

Harry pinched the bridge of his nose, mumbled an apology, and walked over to the door and opened it. He gestured for Lupin and Tonks to come inside. He turned around as they came inside and called Dobby, and with a soft pop Dobby was at his feet.

"Dobby, take Hermione's trunk and take it to one of the empty rooms, please?" Harry asked

"Yes of course, Mast-Harry Potter, sir!"

Hermione cocked an eyebrow. Harry, Lupin and Tonks all knew that Hermione was a very bright witch, and probably now knew that Dobby was bonded to Harry. Harry grabbed some food and headed up the stairs. Hermione hot on his heels entered his room before he shut the door, and sat on his bed. Hermione started to open her mouth, but Harry cut her off.

"Not now, Hermione. I don't need any elf lectures." Harry said firmly

"I at least hope you're paying him!"

"Nope, I'm not allowed." He said

"What do you mean you're not allowed!?" she said exasperated

"We made a deal. I didn't want him to call me master, and he didn't want to be paid. We made a deal."

After an uncomfortable silence Hermione got up from his bed and started to go through books that were on his shelf. She went through several books, but they were mostly books he had been required to read at school. She then noticed that there were some very dark books among the others that stood numbly on the shelf. She grabbed one of the Dark Arts books, walked in his direction and thrust the book into his hands.

"What the hell is this?" she asked

"That my dear Hermione, is a book! Pages and such, with words on them! Then what you do is, is read them. Wait a second! Did you just curse?"

Hermione groaned, and snatched the book back.

"Harry, I meant, why are you reading books like this? If you were caught, you could get into serious trouble!"

Hermione started to pace back and forth.

"Well, good thing I won't get caught then. No one will rat on me, right Hermione?" he asked calmly

Hermione stopped, alarmed that Harry would even consider that she would be a snitch.

"Of course I won't Harry! But I'm worried about you reading these types of books! They're not safe!" she fumed

Harry noticed Hermione was definitely getting irritated. It was time to take drastic measures. He knew exactly why she was here. Of course she cared for him, but they both knew she wouldn't be here if Lupin and Tonks hadn't gone and fetched her.

"Oh no, this is not what this is about. You think I'm turning into another Voldemort! Why is it, if I read a Dark Arts book everyone thinks I'm a bloody prat? You know what, don't answer that. Why don't you keep the book and leave. I suggest reading page 478 so you don't think I've gone nutters."

Hermione didn't move. She just stared at Harry not willing herself to speak.

"I trust you don't need an escort?" Harry asked

Hermione finally left, trying to remain calm, left his room very quickly and went to her own and slumped onto her bed, where she started to cry. Though it wasn't very late when Tonks came to see her, Hermione just told her she was tired. Tonks left the room oblivious to the tear stained pillow she was laying on. She had calmed down somewhat but the tears still fell silently. She finally decided that she would stay here for the rest of the day and read. So she picked up the book Harry had given her.

"I suggest page 478 so you don't think I've gone nutters."

The scene kept repeating itself in her head and slowly tears started to fall again. She merely wiped her eyes and turned to page 478.

The Horcrux

The legend of the Horcrux is a long tale that will not be mentioned here. The creation of a Horcrux is the stripping of part of one's soul into an inanimate object. The cause of one's soul to separate is a deed of the utmost evil: the taking of another's life. The destruction of a Horcrux is a dangerous task. When a Horcrux is destroyed the soul fragment in the object lodges itself in the body of who destroyed it. An ongoing battle will ensue against the destroyer's soul and the soul of the creator of the Horcrux.

"That's it!?" Hermione thought

She thought there would be much more information for her. Then it hit her. Harry has destroyed one Horcrux already. He must have part of Voldemort's soul in him! It all started to make sense. He was going nutters! She scolded herself for thinking that. There must be something she could do. Something that would bring him away from such turmoil, she went to get up, but remembered Harry was fairly angry with her, and should probably wait until tomorrow morning. So she changed into her pajamas, settled herself on the bed, and started on page one of the same book. There had to be something in here that might reverse the effect, or help Harry's soul. After several hours of reading her eyes began to droop, and she fell asleep.


-->