Unofficial Portkey Archive

An Unexpected Development by Azusena
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

An Unexpected Development

Azusena

A/N: Hey everyone I know a lot of you probably want me to update Hate Me, but I'd already written this and I wanted to get it out. I know I put Harry/ Hermione, but this chapter at least is more about Draco and Ginny. Before you push the little back button let me assure you that there is quite a bit of Harry/Hermione in there also, at least hints of it. The second and final part of this chapter if all goes well will be all Harry/Hermione. So with that said or written I suppose on with the story!!! Oh… and before I forget I'd like to say (or write/type) thanks so much to all those who reviewed Hate Me. I really appreciated it. Also if you could please leave a review, I absolutely love to know what you guys think!!!

"Ginny, Ginny!" Hermione yelled as she pounded on the 6 year girls' dorm door.

All she could hear was muffled sobs coming from behind the door. Thankfully it was almost Christmas and Ginny's dorm mates had all gone home or else Hermione would have even more to deal with at two o'clock in the morning. Hermione sighed and rubbed her eyes.

"Ginny," she said once more, "I'll blast this door if I have to."

Another loud sob and she heard the door click and soon later she was standing face to face with her best girl friend. Ginny was a mess. Her hair and clothes were in disarray and her face was bright red from lots of crying.

Hermione had no idea what was wrong, but she immediately hugged her friend as Ginny cried into her shoulder. When Ginny seemed to calm down a little Hermione led her over to the bed where they both sat down.

"Ginny what's wrong, what happened?"

"I can't tell him Hermione, he'll hate me!"

"Who, Ginny? What happened?" Hermione asked starting to panic. She hadn't thought her friend had a serious problem. She'd merely thought that Ginny was crying over a boy or being overly dramatic as per usual but Ginny was way too upset for it to be about something like that.

"I'm pregnant, Hermione." Ginny said. Hermione felt her heart break. She had been in love with Harry, Ginny's boyfriend of nine months for three years and she knew that once Ginny told him she was pregnant Harry would feel obligated to ask her to marry him.

Hermione felt tears fill her eyes, but she blinked them away once again looking down at her friend who was too distraught to notice Hermione's distress.

"I'm sure Harry will understand." Hermione said finally. "It will be okay, Ginny."

If possible Ginny looked even worse.

Hermione noticed. "What is it?"

Ginny let out another chocked sob. "It's not Harry." She said finally.

Hermione's mouth formed a large O and she stuttered out, "Wh- what?"

"I never went that far with Harry." Ginny whispered. "I don't love him."

Hermione racked her brains for who else could have possibly gotten Ginny pregnant and she came up with a blank. She was about to ask who it was when Ginny continued.

"It's Draco Malfoy."

Hermione gasped. True it was better since Draco had become a spy for the light, but the Weasleys and the Malfoy were still rivals. Hermione knew Ginny's family would accept it eventually, but if Draco chose to support Ginny then his parents Hermione had no doubt would disown him.

In telling Draco she was pregnant Ginny would be asking him to choose between his family and her.

Hermione rubbed Ginny's back soothingly. "You have to tell them Ginny.

"I haven't even told him I love him."

"Do you?" Hermione asked looking down at her friend.

"Yes," Ginny whispered having finally stopped crying.

Hermione stood up pulling Ginny with her. "You have to tell him now."

Ginny nodded much to Hermione's surprise.

"I'll go get Harry's invisibility cloak. Why don't you go get cleaned up?" Hermione said ushering Ginny towards the bathroom then walking towards the door. She stayed until she heard the shower turn on before walking to the boy's dormitories.

She opened the door quietly tiptoeing towards the bed where she knew Harry slept. His bed curtains were the only ones open she noticed as she crept up to him and kneeled down to stick her hand under his bed where she knew the invisibility cloak would most likely be.

She found it easily and had just about made it to the door when she felt an arm encircle her waist. She was about to scream when she felt a calloused hand cover her mouth and someone's warm breath in her ear.

"It's impolite to take other people's things without asking."

She relaxed when she recognized Harry's voice she hadn't even heard him come up behind her. Harry released her much to her disappointment and pushed her gently towards the door. She looked down to see he had already picked up his invisibility cloak. She sighed and opened the door walking down the stairs to the common room where they sat down on one of the couches in front of the fire.

Harry didn't bother with small talk. He went straight to the point. "Why do you need the invisibility cloak?" he asked sitting down extremely close to her Hermione noticed.

Hermione bit her lip as she thought up an answer. She was about to answer that she wanted to go to the library or something trivial like that, but instead what came out was much different.

"Do you love Ginny?" She asked then covered her mouth with her hand.

Harry's eyes filled with a strange emotion as he answered, "No Hermione I don't love Ginny."

Hermione let out the breath she didn't realize she'd been holding in.

"You don't?" she asked.

Harry looked embarrassed before answering. "Ginny and I were kind of just together because Ron wanted us to be. We pretty much just snog a lot and talk about quiddich."

"Good." Hermione said before she could stop herself.

"Why?" Harry asked his eyes once again filling with an emotion Hermione didn't recognize.

Hermione was contemplating whether or not to answer that question when Ginny came down the stairs fully dressed. Hermione grabbed the cloak from Harry and stood up. If it weren't for Harry's hand on her wrist she would have walked over to Ginny then walked out the door.

"Why does Ginny need the invisibility cloak, Hermione?" Harry asked still holding on to her wrist.

Hermione looked over at Ginny who shook her head looking a lot better now that she had taken a shower and gotten changed then she looked back at Harry.

"I can't tell you," she said, "but Ginny will eventually," she said looking up at Ginny who nodded then back down to Harry who seemed to be going through every single reason he could think of why they would need it.

"Just be careful." He said looking at Hermione.

Hermione nodded and Harry dropped her arm.

Hermione walked over to Ginny then they both hurried outside the common room towards the heads dorm where Hermione and Draco shared a common room.

They got there rather quickly encountering no one in the silent hallways. Hermione said the password quickly then headed inside. The lights immediately came on when they entered. Ginny looked around she and Draco usually met in an old charms classroom on the fifth floor where Ginny had gone to think before she started going out with Draco and Hermione had never let her come in here because it was supposedly against some rule.

The room was almost identical to the Gryffindor common room only on a smaller scale and there were of course different colors. Draco, even if he had changed from the spoiled, selfish, rich prat he'd been in fourth and fifth year, but he still didn't like Gryffindors and he would surely object to having a red and gold room.

The common room was painted mostly in varying shades of blue. A myriad of pictures adorned the walls from famous witches and wizards including the four founders to some of the old prefects and other random people.

All the furniture was in a neutral cream and the floor was light wood making the room seem bigger than it really was. What caught Ginny's attention at the moment were the two sets of stairs that led up to Draco and Hermione's bedrooms.

A single tear made its way out of one of her eyes as she thought about what she would have to do. Hermione didn't notice, she headed towards the right staircase without hesitation. Ginny followed close behind ignoring the curious glances of the portraits around the room. When they got to the door Hermione knocked and waited they heard a loud thump as if someone had fallen out of their bed and a muffled curse. Soon the door was opened by Draco Malfoy looking quite different from his normal almost perfection. His hair was tousled and he was rubbing his eyes.

"What do you want?" he asked looking at Hermione who glared at him stepping aside so he could see Ginny.

"I just brought Ginny up here," she said.

"I need to talk to you… it's important." Ginny said looking down at her feet her eyes over flowing with tears.

For a second Draco looked surprised before grabbing her hand gently and pulling her inside. He glanced at Hermione for a second trying to puzzle out what had gotten Ginny so upset and how much the head girl knew about their relationship. Draco looked back at Ginny who had walked into the room then back at Hermione again who was now studying him intently. He looked into his eyes and he saw Draco's love for Ginny reflected there and she smiled knowing that Draco would do the right thing. Hermione looked at Ginny before turning around and walking down the stairs again.

Draco took one last look at Hermione before shutting the door and walking back into the room. Immediately he pulled Ginny into a hug and she sobbed into his shirt as he ran his fingers through her hair. When she finally quieted he pulled her over to his king sized bed where he sat down and pulled her up so she was sitting with her back against his chest.

"What is it Red? What's wrong?" Asked Draco finally when they'd sat there for a while.

Ginny let out another chocked sob, "I'm afraid if I tell you you'll leave me, but I know I have to."

"Gin, I promise I won't leave you. It can't be that bad."

Ginny shook her head wiping away the tears that were running down her face. Draco pulled her closer to him.

"You'll hate me," Ginny whispered finally, "and I can't do this alone."

"I could never hate you Ginny."

Ginny shook her head again letting out a noise that could have been either a laugh or a sob.

"You'll hate me for this." She whispered pulling away from him and sitting opposite him on the bed staring at her hand sitting in her lap.

"We were careful. I know I did the spell and the potion I took should have prevented it," said Ginny, "I didn't even think about it when I missed my period."

She looked up at Draco and she saw his eyes widen in shock. A fresh wave of tears washed down on her face as she continued, "I… I couldn't believe it when Madam Pomfrey told me I was pregnant. I was just getting a physical done so I could play Quiddich."

She looked back down on her lap waiting for him to say something. Now it was time for her eyes to widen when she heard him laugh, rare even around her.

Ginny looked up to see a smile on Draco's face. He pulled her into a quick hug and then he kissed her with the most passion and feeling he'd ever put into a kiss.

"I thought something terrible had happened. Ginny I love you. Sure, this wasn't planned or anything, but I don't think it's bad."

"You do?" Ginny whispered she wasn't ready for this reaction she had expected him to yell at her or throw her out of his room. She had never expected that he might be happy about this.

"Of course I do," he said. "I just didn't and still don't know if you feel anything for me." He suddenly looked nervous and she smiled tears of joy now streaming down her face.

"I've loved you forever Draco. I wouldn't have slept with you if I didn't love you."

He grinned and kissed her again and again. Suddenly he stopped and she looked up at him in confusion. He looked somewhat thoughtful.

"I'll be right back," he said getting up from the bed and walking through a door she had never seen before. She took a moment to look around the room she'd only been once before, the first and only time they'd made love and they'd flood here from the fireplace at the Leaky Cauldron.

It was painted in the Slytherin colors, green and silver. In one corner of the rather large room was a desk with quills, parchment and a charms book littering it and on the opposite side was a large mahogany dresser that matched the desk. She saw another door that she assumed was the closet. The most magnificent part of the room though was definitely the bed. It was situated in the middle of the room and had green satin sheets that she now noticed were very soft.

She was just about to go investigate Draco's disappearance when he walked through the door once again looking very nervous. She looked at him inquisitively with one eyebrow raised. He smiled back uneasily walking slowly up to the bed.

When he got there he reached out his hand and she took it. He pulled her up so she was standing looking up at him.

He looked down straight into her eyes and Ginny felt like she was going to melt, how could she not have seen the love that was so clearly in his eyes?

She wondered what this was all about.

"Ginny, I know this is probably really fast and I don't want to pressure you or anything. Its just I've never felt this way about someone before. I think about you all the time and when I'm with you I feel like nothing bad could ever happen. You make feel so alive like I could do anything whenever I'm around you even if we have to pretend we don't like each other around everyone." Draco said still looking deep into her big chocolate brown eyes.

"I just want you to consider this and know it's not just about the baby. I've wanted to do this for a couple months, but that would have been way too soon."

He kneeled down and her eyes again filled with tears as she looked down on the man she loved with all her heart.

Draco continued. "I know we are young, really young and I know we've only been going out for a year and a half, but you would make me the happiest man alive if you would some day be my wife. Gin, will you marry me?"

She nodded her head and dropped to her knees in front of him. "Yes."

Draco grinned and pulled her to him in a fiery kiss. When they broke away Draco looked at her and said, "It can just be a promise ring I you want, but I would kind of like to be married before the baby comes."

"Me too," she whispered, "What am I going to tell my parents?"

She looked up at Draco who looked panicked, "What are we going to tell your brother?"

A/N: Thanks for reading… please leave a review… if you do I'll update faster!!!


-->