Unofficial Portkey Archive

Summer Reading by AquamarineCrystal
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Summer Reading

AquamarineCrystal

A/N: Hey everyone! I decided to write a little one-shot! Yesterday, I was doing some summer reading for school (ack I hate homework in the summer. Seriously, they make us work all through the school year, and then they give us more stuff for our vacation. Seriously, do they think we spend our summers wishing that we were back in school? Sorry, guess I'm off on a tangent.) and I suddenly felt the need to write a H/Hr story that somehow included Hermione doing her own summer assignments. Then, today, it evolved into this. Hope you enjoy it!

BTW, this story does not have anything to do with my other one shot, "Spring Love." It's just a coincidence that both of their titles refer to a season.

Disclaimer: I do not own anything here. J.K. Rowling does!

Rating: G

P.S. No Half-Blood Prince spoilers in this one. This kind of just ignores that book. Takes place during the summer before seventh year.

***

Hermione Jane Granger was currently sitting in her temporary bedroom at Grimmauld Place, reading her most recent textbook on Transfiguration, titled Difficult Transformations for the Highly Advanced. It was, of course, for an extra credit assignment Professor McGonagall had offered for those who wished to exceed the expectations. Hermione, being the excellent student she was, immediately agreed to take on the task.

So now, here she was, happily reading the book in her room. Periodically, Hermione would pause from her reading to furiously scribble down notes that would be useful when later, she would have to write a 2-foot long essay on the book.

After Hermione finished the latest chapter, she raised her head and looked thoughtfully out of the window across from her. Since her room faced the small backyard of the house, and since it was summer, a shock of green met her eyes. Smiling, Hermione pushed herself backwards a little, so that she was resting against the bed's headboard.

Hermione loved moments like these. Curling up with a book was always her favorite pastime and it seemed even better when she was lazily doing it on a summer afternoon.

A breeze drifted in from the open window, which encouraged her to close her eyes. No sooner had she done so though, when she heard a soft knock on the door. Her head shot up as she called, "Come in."

The door opened and a familiar dark-haired boy, or rather man walked in. A smile lit up her features as she started into her favorite pair of eyes.

"Hey Hermione," Harry said as he sat towards the end of the bed.

"Hi Harry," Hermione placed a thin, blue slip of paper inside that she was using for a bookmark.

Harry noticed the action and chuckled. "Reading again, are you?"

Hermione nodded as she showed him the cover. "Of course, what else would I be doing?"

Harry frowned briefly. "Funny, I don't remember that title on the book list, or as one that we have to read this summer."

"Oh, it wouldn't be," Hermione started to explain. "It's extra credit."

Harry smiled as he took the book out of her hands to flip through it. "Should have known."

Hermione looked back at his startling green eyes; his beautiful, emerald green orbs. How she loved those eyes, just like she loved every other feature of his. For of course, wouldn't you if you were in love with him?

Yes, Hermione Jane Granger was in love with Harry James Potter. Had been since around the middle of fifth year. At first, she thought she had a crush on her other best friend, Ron Weasley, but then she realized how terribly absurd that was. How could they expect to snog each other when they were too busy using their mouths to argue! (Plus, Ron seemed to be just a little too friendly with a certain Luna Lovegood, lately.)

After the death of that crush, she suddenly found herself almost constantly thinking of someone else: someone with unruly jet-black hair, bright green eyes, and a heart bigger than anyone else's.

But, Hermione highly doubted Harry liked her back. She always asked herself, "why would he?" Here she was: a plain, boring, bushy-haired know-it-all; and there he was: a savior of the Wizarding World! He was a hero and a celebrity, while she was just…Hermione. Why in the world would he pick her when he could select any of his beautiful fan girls?

"Are you okay?," Harry suddenly asked, which brought Hermione out of her musings.

"Oh, um, yeah, I'm fine," Hermione quickly turned her head away from his eyes, hoping he didn't catch her staring.

With an amused expression on his face, Harry firmly closed Hermione's book, and handed it back to her.

"Oh, thanks," Hermione accepted her book. Truthfully, it hadn't even registered in her mind that he had had it that long. Frowning, she noticed that her bookmark was slanted slightly. She dismissed this, though, figuring it had just moved when he was rifling through the pages.

"So, excited about this being our last year of school?" Hermione randomly asked, trying to start up a conversation.

Harry shrugged. "Eh, I dunno. I'm going to miss it when we leave, probably."

Hermione nodded in understanding. "Yeah, we've spent so many days in that castle." She laughed slightly. "So many good times and adventures."

Harry smiled. "Yeah." Then, very carefully, he reached out until his hand was over Hermione's. Gently, he dropped it and started caressing her petite fingers.

Hermione felt her face heat up slightly as she felt his warm, strong hand on top of her own. She looked down so he wouldn't be able to detect her blush and realize that she was fully enjoying his touch.

"Of course, there's one thing I need to do before we finish this year," Harry said thoughtfully.

"Oh, and what's that?" Hermione inquired.

"Tell a very special person that I love her very much."

"Oh," Hermione's face fell. She gazed into his eyes and noticed that they were twinkling happily.

Smiling, Harry let go of her hand so that he could stand. Silently, he crossed the room and left, closing the door behind him.

As soon as he was gone, Hermione lay down on the bed with tears sparkling in her brown eyes. All that she could hear running through her head was her own voice, which chanted, "He doesn't love me, he doesn't love me."

Willing herself to not cry, and to be strong, she picked up her book, hoping it would cheer her up and help her forget about Harry's words. She opened the book to where her blue bookmark was placed.

A gasp escaped her lips as she noticed a small folded scrap of parchment in between the two pages that were open in front of her. Where had it come from? She definitely had not noticed it before!

Hermione's brow creased as she realized that Harry had been looking through the book when he was sitting with her. Therefore, the paper must have been from him. But what could he have written that he wouldn't have wanted to say aloud?

Careful not to rip the parchment, she opened it. The following words were written in Harry's familiar handwriting:

Hermione Granger,

I love you.

-Harry Potter

Hermione gasped as more unshed tears appeared in her eyes. Only this time, they were tears of happiness.

"Harry!" she yelled as she practically flew out of the room with the book crashing to the floor. "Harry!"

As soon as she was in the hallway, she noticed Harry standing just a few feet away from her room. "Oh Harry," she flew into his arms and planted her lips right on his.

When the two broke apart from their kiss, Hermione stared into his eyes and whispered, "I love you too." Beaming, Harry leaned in for their second kiss. And while the two were passionately kissing, Hermione realized something: she had found a new reason to love reading.

The End

***

A/N: Well, there's here's my little one-shot that I whipped up about an hour. I hope it seems okay ;)

Anyways, please review!!


-->