Unofficial Portkey Archive

Ten Past Four by AquamarineCrystal
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Ten Past Four

AquamarineCrystal

A/N: Well, here's another little one-shot. I got the idea for it one night when I woke up in the middle of the night, and happened to glance at the clock and see the time. Then, my brain started working, and that idea evolved into this. Enjoy!

Disclaimer: I do not own anything here. J.K. Rowling does!

A/N: Rated PG just to be safe.

***

Thick, smooth hair moved through her fingers like silk. A pair of soft, warm, lips planted small kisses along her neck. Hands so strong, but gentle, ran up and down her back, moving in circular motions while her own petite hands started to trace small patterns in his hair. His lips were removed from her neck and started to aim themselves right towards her mouth…

With a start, Hermione Jane Granger sat bolt upright in bed. Desire and passion still ran through her from her life-like dream, which she had been encompassed by just mere seconds ago. As she looked around her Head Girl dormitory, though, she knew for sure that it was nothing more than a product of her imagination.

Sighing, Hermione stared straight ahead at the large analog clock that hung on the wall opposite her bed. From the pale moonlight drifting in through the window, she could just barley make out the time.

Ten past four.

Hermione sighed again. This was the eleventh night in a row that she had woken up at this exact same time. And that wasn't the only strange part. No, because before each of the eleven times she had woken up, a dream had preceded her sudden arrival into the waking world. And all the dreams were the same; all of them featured herself sharing a passionate moment with a boy. But, she didn't know who this boy was! And it bugged her!

Groaning, Hermione lay back down and closed her eyes. What was going on? Why was she having these peculiar (though enjoyable) dreams, and then waking up at the exact same time afterwards? What was the significance of 4:10?

For the next few moments, Hermione tried to ponder this, along with trying to figure out who the unknown boy was. Immediately, her first guess was Harry. She quickly realized, though, that the idea was absurd. For Harry was still dating Ginny. Even though the two had broken up at the end his sixth year, they had soon gotten back together when Hogwarts re-opened a year and a half later. (It had been closed during the time when Voldemort was still at large. Harry though, with Ron and Hermione's help, had destroyed all of the horcruxes and eventually killed Lord Voldemort, too.) So, even though Hermione, at times, had felt something more for her dark-haired best friend, she knew that she would have to keep it to herself.

Could it be Ron? No, she decided, that would be as ridiculous as her first guess. Yes, the two at one time had fancied each other, but now, things were different. They just figured it wouldn't work out. After all, they were constantly arguing. And besides, Ron seemed to have his eyes now set on one Luna Lovegood.

Then who could it be? Harry and Ron were the two boys she was closest to, and the only boys she had recently fancied. Who was her mysterious lover?

"Oh well," Hermione whispered to herself with a sigh. "It probably wasn't even a real person. After all, it was just a dream."

So, trying to push away any further thoughts about the boy, and 4:10, Hermione rolled over on to her side and let herself be consumed by sleep.

***

The next two weeks passed rather quickly, and uneventful, for Hermione. In fact, the only interesting aspect of her life right now was the persistence of her dreams, and her waking up every night at ten past four.

She did notice that spring was approaching Hogwarts very nicely this year. Colorful flowers were blooming throughout the grounds, and huge green leaves were popping out of trees' buds daily.

On one fine, April morning, Hermione found herself curled up in the Gryffindor common room with a book in her lap. Normally, she used the Head common room, which she shared with the Head Boy, Harry, but today, she felt like sitting in the presence of her fellow peers.

Suddenly, the slamming of the portrait hole opening up interrupted Hermione from her reading. With surprise she watched as a fearful and slightly annoyed Ginny Weasley ran into the room, her hair in disarray and eyes wide with terror.

Less than a moment later, an extremely angry Harry Potter trudged through the hole with his emerald green eyes staring with contempt towards Ginny.

"Now, Harry, it's not what it seemed like…" Ginny started to explain.

"It's not what it seemed like?" Harry cut her off angrily. "So, what, am I supposed to believe that it didn't seem like you were making out with Draco Malfoy?"

"He forced me into it," Ginny said, though it was clear she was lying through her teeth.

Harry glared at her with disgust in his eyes. "Right. And that's why you were moaning out `Oh, Draco, don't stop!'"

Ginny winced. "Well, you see, it wasn't, it was…" She sighed though, realizing there was no way to fix what Harry had just seen.

"Yeah, that's what I thought." Harry said calmly.

"I guess I'll just leave, then." Ginny ran past him and through the portrait hole.

Harry shook his head and turned around, to find out that he and Ginny had had an audience that consisted of half of Gryffindor's students. Rolling his green eyes, he left the common room, just as his ex-girlfriend had.

Once he had left, Hermione found herself staring at the spot he had just occupied not a moment before. Was it just her, or had Harry had a sparkle of relief in his eyes?

***

Later that day, Hermione walked into the Heads common room. When she got there, she was surprised to see Harry sprawled out on one of the sofas. Quietly, she went to sit in a chair opposite him.

"Hi Harry," Hermione said, unsure of what he was feeling at the moment.

"Hey," Harry replied softly. An awkward silence followed.

Harry finally brought up his eyes to meet hers. Hermione instantly was able to tell that he knew she had witnessed his break-up with Ginny.

"Harry, I'm sorry…" Hermione tried to say. She was surprised, though, when she saw Harry shrug.

"It's kind of funny," Harry said. "I had actually been wanting to break up with her for a while. I just could never find the right moment. Today, though, she presented me with the perfect opportunity."

"But Harry," Hermione frowned. "I don't get it. Why did you act so angry, if you actually wanted to do that?"

"Even though I didn't love Ginny, it still hurt to find out she was going behind my back," Harry said. "And with Draco Malfoy!"

"Makes sense," Hermione nodded. "But why would she choose Malfoy?"

"No idea," Harry couldn't help but laugh. "Oh well, it's her life. She can do whatever she wants with it."

Hermione smiled. "But what about you? Sounds like you've been thinking about `life-without-Ginny' for quite a while. Anyone else interest you?"

Harry's laugh came to an abrupt stop. Hermione, feeling as if she had suddenly treaded into dangerous territory tried to take back what she said.

"Not that it's any of my business. And if it's too soon to start thinking about someone new…" Hermione trailed off.

"No, it's okay," Harry sighed. "And actually, there is someone."

"Oh," Hermione looked down. Scenes from her strange dreams flooded into her mind. If there was someone else, then it made the possibility of the boy being Harry dreadfully low.

"Hermione," Harry's tone changed into a more serious one. "Do you want to know who the `someone' is?"

"No," Hermione still was looking down at the floor. "It's okay, really."

Hermione became aware that Harry was moving closer. "But I think you would like to know."

"No, like I said, it's…" Hermione was cut off by Harry's lips, which had crashed down onto hers. At first, she panicked, and wondered if she was in one of her dreams again. But then she decided that no, this was real. Harry was really kissing her!

He deepened the kiss, which made Hermione groan. When the two broke apart some minutes later, Hermione chanced a look at the clock. 4:10. And it wasn't a dream, it was reality.

Hermione decided right then and there that maybe she should take a look into divination again. After all, it seemed as if she may posses a bit of an inner eye after all.

***

A/N: Well, hope you enjoyed my little one shot, even if in my opinion, it was kind of fast. It kind of went off in a different direction that I intended, too. Originally, I was going to have the two of them realize their feelings on April Tenth, having the date be 4/10, which would kind of be like 4:10. (That's why it's set on an April day.) But then, right at the end, I figured I liked just having the time concept in it. Oh well.

Anyways, I'd really appreciate a review!

:)


-->