Unofficial Portkey Archive

Not My World by AquamarineCrystal
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Not My World

AquamarineCrystal

A/N: Okay, I am going to again attempt to write a multi-chaptered fic. Hopefully, this fic won't turn into another "By Spring." But, I'm definitely more into this one: I have the whole story mapped out in my head, unlike the other one. Plus, I've had this story idea in my head since March or April, which has given me time to really think about it. I only had the first two or three chapters planned with "By Spring" and I didn't even really like it that much. Plus, I started it just before Half-Blood-Prince came out, and well, we all know what happened with that book.

But, I love how this story is going in my head, and I hope anyone who reads it will enjoy it!

Full Summery: One day, while at work in the Department of Mysteries, Hermione Potter stumbles upon an unknown artifact. Moving close to it while examining it, she realizes that it is pulling her closer to it. When she comes in contact with it, she finds herself being transported to a world that seems identical to the one she lives in…except for one major difference: Ginny Weasley is Harry Potter's wife!

Disclaimer: I do not own anything here. J.K. Rowling does!

Rating: PG (for now. May go up later on; not sure.)

~*~Prologue~*~

***

"Harry!" 20-year-old Hermione Jane Potter called. "Have you seen my purse?"

Hermione was currently running frantically through her and Harry's house, trying to find everything she needed for work. Usually, she was extremely organized and never needed her husband's help at finding anything, but this morning, she was running terribly late.

"It's on your bureau," Harry answered calmly from their bedroom. Hermione raced into the room where she snatched up the black bag.

"Thanks," Hermione said, practically out-of-breath.

"Honey, are you sure you're okay?" Harry asked with concern written all over his face.

"I'm fine," Hermione stated firmly. "It was just a little bug or something." She was, of course, referring to her sudden sickness that had occurred earlier that morning. It was the reason, actually, that she was now late.

"But you did the exact same thing yesterday," Harry countered.

"But yesterday, as I assure you will be the case today, I was fine the rest of the day," Hermione said in exasperation.

"But…" Harry tried to formulate yet another argument, but he was cut off by his wife.

"Harry, I'm really sorry, but I've got to get going. I'm fine, honestly. Don't worry."

"Well, if you're sure," Harry got up from the bed he was sitting on and moved closer to Hermione. He slowly wrapped his arms around her and settled in for a good-bye kiss. When the two broke apart a moment later, they were both nearly out of breath.

"Thanks, love," Hermione smiled. "I needed that."

"I know," Harry rested his forehead against hers. "Have a nice day at work."

"You, too," Hermione grinned as Harry untangled himself from her. "I love you."

"I love you, too."

Hermione gave Harry one last kiss quickly before she rushed out of the room and towards the front door. She exited it and walked to the end of the driveway, where she quickly apparated to the Ministry of Magic.

***

Hermione worked in the Department of Mysteries, as an Unspeakable. Her job mainly revolved around mysterious and unidentifiable objects. If an object of this type came into possession of the Ministry, it would immediately be given to Hermione, or her co-worker, Beatrice Cuthbert. The two of them would then proceed to figure out the meaning, or use, of the object. If it was deemed safe and useful, it would be given to another department of the Ministry that would benefit from it. If it was believed to hold dark magic, further mysteries, or just did not have any real uses, but was still worth keeping, it would be moved to a special closet in the Department of Mysteries that was located in one of the eerie rooms.

Having this job was often considered dangerous. Harry, in fact, had even at one point begged her not to take up the position. For, what if one of the objects would hurt or even kill her? Beatrice and Hermione, though, were extremely careful and placed many charms and protections on themselves before they set off to work. They never directly touched any objects until after they figured out they were safe. Ministry workers, too, did not make any direct contact with the objects while bringing them to the Department of Mysteries.

Overall, Hermione really enjoyed her job. To her, it was like working on a giant jig-saw puzzle, and she absolutely loved the research that went with it. (Plus, working in the Ministry had its benefits. For, Harry, too worked there: he was an auror. And since he often had work to do in the office, well, let's just say both of them looked forward to their free periods.)

Usually, Hermione got to work fairly early and had time to eat a quick breakfast, do some reading, or talk to the friends she had made in the Ministry. But today, she found herself practically running through the halls on her way to her department. She didn't even have any time to place any protective charms on herself, which she usually did before she even entered the Department of Mysteries.

When she got there, Hermione seemed to fly into the office she shared with Beatrice. Panting, and feeling slightly queasy again, she collapsed into the nearest chair, which luckily was her own desk chair.

"Hermione, are you okay?" Beatrice, who had only gotten there ten minutes ago, inquired.

"Yes, yes, I'm fine," Hermione tried to regain her breath. "Just running a little late, that's all."

Beatrice couldn't help but let out a little laugh. "Hermione, your definition of `late' is most people's definition of `on time.'"

Hermione let a small smile grace her features as she glanced at the clock, to see that she, in fact, was barely a minute late. "Well, I guess you're right."

Beatrice laughed and walked back to her desk. "So, may I ask why you were running late this morning? Does it have anything to do with your gorgeous husband?" Beatrice winked.

Hermione chuckled. "Actually, it doesn't. I got sick when I woke up. As I did the day before. But I'm fine now."

"Oh?" Beatrice looked surprised, but suddenly had a smirk on her face. "Really?"

"Yes," Hermione replied, confused. Why was Beatrice acting as if she knew something Hermione didn't?

Hermione abruptly turned around in her chair so that she was facing her desk. She noticed that there was a glittering blue stone, about the size of a fist, in the center.

"Oh, what's this?" Hermione asked as she moved her head slightly closer.

"It just arrived today," Beatrice said in a serious voice. "It was sent by Kevin McLaughlin, you know, from the Department of International Magical Co-operation. Supposedly it came from Indonesia.

"Hmmm, it looks quite interesting," Hermione watched as a variety of colors surfaced where the light hit it.

"Yes, I'm sure it will be fascinating to work on," Beatrice frowned as she noticed that the blue stone was now emitting a reddish aura. "Hermione, I wouldn't get any closer."

"I know," Hermione said. She, too, had noticed the glow. In fact, it almost felt as something else was surrounding it. Actually, the air almost felt like a vacuum suddenly…

"Hermione," Beatrice noticed that Hermione was moving incredibly close to it. Did you put any charms on yourself this morning yet?"

"No, but I will now," Hermione attempted to get up, but she found that she couldn't.

"Hermione," Beatrice said slowly. "Move away."

"I can't," Panic moved into Hermione's voice as she realized that some type of force was moving her face closer to the object. "It's pulling me!"

"Hermione!" Beatrice ran over to where her co-worker's face was a centimeter away from the stone.

But it was too late; Hermione's face quickly made contact with the artifact, and as soon as it did, a blinding pale blue light filled the room. Beatrice instinctively moved her hands to her eyes to protect them as she heard Hermione let out a piercing scream.

Hermione's shriek came to an abrupt stop. Beatrice slowly moved her hands away from her face and opened them.

The light was gone, and the office looked exactly as it had before. Well, almost, for there was one major difference:

Hermione, and the beautiful blue stone, were both gone.

***

Well, there's the prologue. Hope you enjoyed it! Sorry if it seemed boring or anything; this is just the prologue. I honestly do not know how often I'm going to be able to update, since school started and everything, but I'm going to try to update as quickly as possible. And, you never know, if I get a lot of reviews, it may motivate me to update sooner…;-)


-->