Unofficial Portkey Archive

God I Was Alive by dumbles
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

God I Was Alive

dumbles

Title: God I Was Alive

Summary: Semi-song fic to 'I Was Alive' by The Whitlams. Ginny and Draco have a very volatile relationship. Can he tame her? One shot.

Rating: R for adult themes and lots of swearing

Authors Notes: Ok so this song that I based this on- I seriously listen to it like ten times a day at work because I love it. Well, actually, forget love. Love doesn't cover it. The Whitlams are the best Aussie band ever (in my opinion) and the first time I heard this song, I thought 'Draco and Ginny'. Now, I don't normally write Draco and Ginny, but I'm making an exception cause this song is so them!!! I apologise if this does not make sense, as always, but I tend to just write as it comes to me, cause if I don't it sucks. Enjoy!

~*~

The night I met you were a fucking disgrace

Tripping over people falling flat on your face

I thought I'd dance with you 'cause you wouldn't remember

A year ago now yeah that was the end of December

There's been blood, and there's been biting

There's been Lizzie Taylor Richard Burton fighting

It's all gone bad, that's alright

'Cause god I was alive

God I was alive

'Ginny!' Draco yelled in exasperation as the front door to his modest home slammed shut. 'Oh for fucks sake!'

He flung himself backwards onto the couch and stared at the ceiling and let out a scream. He had known it since the first and she had continued to prove it to him- he was dating and living with the most impossible woman in the world.

He sat up, still huffing in fury and his eyes fell on the framed photo on the coffee table. In spite of himself, he smiled. It was a wizarding photo, so it moved and it had truly captured the moment appropriately.

The photo had been taken the night this had all started. It was taken at a party, a pre New Years Eve and post war party. Draco had been dragged along by someone- he couldn't even remember who. He hadn't wanted to be there. And then he had seen her.

She had been across the other side of the room, with Potter and her brother and seemed to be arguing with them. He watched her, out of curiosity, and then she had come over to him, and promptly tripped over his feet and fell on her face…

'Watch it, Weasley,' he growled, looking at the girl trying to pull herself up off the ground. 'I didn't come here to get fawned over by you.'

'Like I'd fawn over you,' she snarled back at him. She stood back up and stared at him, though he noticed straight away that she was very drunk. Very drunk. And that Potter and her brother had just edged out the back door.

'Do you dance?'

'What?'

'It's a simple question, Weasley. Do. You. Dance?' he repeated it slower. Her head tilted back and she looked at him.

'Yes I do dance.'

The tunes were fast and kept coming. She bounced around beside him, grinded against him, and more than once, tried to kiss him.

'Why are you dancing with me?' she murmured through the first slow song.

'Because you won't remember…'

'I want to go back to your place.'

'What!' Draco exclaimed. 'No- wait…'

'Let's go.'

The photo had been taken at the moment, with her looking drunkenly into his eyes. They had left, not long after the picture had been taken. She had come back to his place and within moments of entering, they had been in his bedroom, naked and discovering each other in ways that only two other people (Pansy and Potter) had.

The morning had seen their first fight.

'Morning,' he purred, rolling so he was half over her body. She looked up and her brown eyes locked with his grey ones.

'Oh fuck.'

She jumped out of the bed so fast, clutching a sheet around her body and just stared at him.

'Did we…'

'Yeah.'

'More than once?'

'Yeah.'

'Was it good?'

'Oh yeah.'

'Oh fuck,' she started to pace. 'You took advantage of me!'

'What!' Draco sat up and looked at her. 'You were begging me to take you home- I tried to say no!'

'Oh yeah, tried real hard,' she said sarcastically. 'Fuck! Fuck! Fuck!' she jumped around on the spot.

'Don't beat yourself up,' he said, laying back down.

'I slept with Draco Malfoy!'

'It's an honour to some people you know.'

'I slept with the enemy!'

'Enemy? The war's over, that's part of the reason the little party was held.'

'You're a death eater!'

'Was,' he said, looking hurt. 'And if you'd care to remember, I saved all of your arses.'

She went red- she knew he was right. He'd come good in the end, and warned them all of the death eaters plans. It had given them enough time to change their plan of attack and ultimately save a lot of lives, and end the war.

'But you're Draco Malfoy! And I'm a…' she paused and looked at him intently. 'Blood traitor.'

Draco couldn't think of anything to say. He'd spent the last year and a half since the end of the war to convince people that he didn't really believe what had been drilled into him since birth. Because it was hard to believe them after seeing what he'd seen.

'Argh!' she screamed in frustration when he didn't say anything and walked out of the bedroom, still clutching the bed sheet around her body.

'Ginny- wait…' Draco grabbed the remaining sheet and followed her. 'We'll chalk it up to both of us having too much to drink, a mistake was made. People make mistakes.'

'I don't make mistakes, especially mistakes like this!' she yelled. Draco couldn't see her, but he'd seen her bed sheet whip around the corner at the end of the hallway.

She was already in the kitchen, letting the news owl in the window. She took the paper and scanned the front page.

'Oh, fuck, fuck, FUCK!' she screamed the last expletive.

'What now?'

She tossed the paper to him and he looked. A photo of the two of them dancing, wrapped all over each other, graced the bottom third of the front page, followed by a large headline.

'Reformed Death Eater falls for Deputy Minister's Daughter,' he read and looked up at Ginny. 'It's not that bad.'

She screamed again and stormed off to the bedroom.

'Don't fucking come near me ever again,' she said when she came back fully dressed. 'Go fuck yourself and rot in hell.'

It was hard to believe it had been almost a year since that morning. Almost a year and despite her constant calls for him to 'go fuck himself', they were still together.

It baffeled him at times, how they were still together. Had someone said to him when he was at Hogwarts that he would end up with Ginny, he would have laughed. She wasn't his type for one, plus she would never go for him. But three days after their dance made coast to coast headlines, he had taken her on a proper date. And gone back to her place this time.

It was just ruined by the fact that they both had such violent tempers. Draco still bore scars on his arms from a scratching attack through a fight.

She had moved in six months before. And five months before. And four months before. Every time he thought they were getting setteled, they'd fight and she'd move out again. They had fully ended it nine times. And each time, they found each other again.

Draco, funnily enough, said it was fate. Ginny said it was idiocy.

But she couldn't deny the fact that ever since that first night, they had been drawn to each other. No one had really understood at first. Her brothers threatened to kill him. Her parents refused to talk to him. He didn't have siblings and his parents had died in Azkaban.

All he had was Ginny. Who spent half of her time not speaking to him.

The front door opened and he looked up.

'Oh,' was all he said as Ginny walked back in. Her face was red from a mixture of tears and the cold wind.

'Don't sound too enthused.'

'It's just…' he looked at her. 'How does this keep getting so fucked up?'

'If we knew, you wouldn't be asking me that,' she said, shrugging her shoulders. 'We're just both very passionate people?'

'You're a passionate person- I just enjoy conflict,' he said and she laughed.

'Match made in heaven,' she sat down on the lounge next to him. 'Let's start over.'

'We've started over hundreds of times, Gin. We just keep fucking it up.'

'Well, we've had a good run,' she said, standing up and looking at him. 'I guess it's better to finish it now, before we get attached.'

'Who said anything about ending it?' Draco said, standing up as well.

'Draco, we can't go a week without fighting.'

'So?'

'You have green eyebrows from a hex I threw at you three weeks ago.'

'It's a fashion statement.'

'We fight every day.'

'It's healthy.'

'I keep telling you to go fuck yourself.'

'I tune that out now.'

'We… I…'

'Ran out of excuses?' he said and she folded her arms and stared at him.

'I'll find something else.'

'Well, get back to me when you do,' he said, unfolding her arms and holding her hands. 'Ginny, I love you.'

The words hung in the air for a moment. Her eyes grew wide.

'I may tell you that you're a god damn bitch, that we're fucked, that we're not right, but the thing is… we are right, Ginny. We wouldn't be here now if we weren't right.'

'You only danced with me cause you thought I wouldn't remember.'

'Shows how stupid I am- you remember everything. In fact, your memory is almost freakish. I've been thinking of having you studied.'

She just stared at him.

'What about everything I just said?'

'You know I don't listen to you,' he said, ducking as she went to hit him. 'I don't want to loose you, Ginny. You gave me hope when I had none. You make me feel alive.'

'I don't want to lose you,' she said softly. 'I love you too.'

He kissed her softly on the lips and grinned at her slyly.

'I love making up with you.'

'I love making up with you,' she parroted, pulling herself closer to him and wrapping her arms around his neck, whilst his snaked around her waist. 'We should get married.'

'Oh god yes, maybe your parents will come with your brothers and we'll play happy families- oh yeah, and hell will freeze over,' he said, as he kissed every part of her neck that he could find.

'I'm serious.'

'So am I.'

The buttons on her top were undone and he slid it off gently. She rolled her head back and moaned gently.

'Draco I'm trying to be serious.'

'Ginny, I'm trying to have my way with you.'

They fell to the ground and soon all their clothes were discarded as they reveled in their post-fight love. Finally, spent, they pulled themselves onto the couch and lay together, naked, watching as the sun set outside.

'You were serious about the marriage thing, weren't you?'

'Eh,' she said, shrugging her shoulders. 'We fight like a married couple, we might as well be one.'

'Alright- we'll do it,' he said and she squealed, rolling so she was on top of him and giving him a longing kiss.

'Really?' she asked and he nodded. She grinned and started kissing him again.

'Damn, you know what?' he broke the kiss off and looked at her seriously.

'What?'

'If we get married, there'll be no more make ups like this, cause married people don't make up like this.'

'We'll have to start the trend,' she purred, standing up and walking towards the bedroom, looking over her shoulder with a smoldering glare.

'Thank god, I'm alive,' he muttered, scrambling up and following her. 'And thank god for Ginny Weasley.'