Unofficial Portkey Archive

Aurors Undercover by Ranis
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Aurors Undercover

Ranis

Author Note:- This is my first story and already had to edit it to add the Author note which I forgot, a brilliant start if I say so myself. This is a story written to a challenge by JediYoda on Kindred Spirit boards. Thus it starts with the criteria set so Harry and Ginny are together to start, this won't last and it will become HHr eventually.

Special Thanks to Jedi for thinking up the challenge and for checking over the chapters, more thanks go to LegalAlien, Sweet_Mione_Potter and RomRom1192 for in part beta-ing and motivating me to write faster, first three chapters are ready so they'll be uploaded soon.

Disclaimer:- JKR made the world, sculpted the characters, imagined the spells, had the dream. I'm just corrupting it for my personal pleasures. Don't bother suing me, I don't have anything but Harry Potter books and films.

Harry stood in the dark alley opposite Borgins and Burkes, he brushed his long blond hair from one of his dull brown eyes. The fingers of his right hand were holding his wand tightly under the black hooded travel cloak. Of all the nights to have left his invisibility cloak at the office, but he wasn't expecting to be out tracking tonight. He was working on the tip of an informant that a petty criminal by the name of Ted Huntly was providing supplies to known death eaters. He had tracked the young wizard from a dark pub in Knockturn Alley to the shop. Huntly had entered but Harry had dodged to the dark alleyway and changed his appearance for the third time that evening.

After two years of hard studying with Tonks he had become a trained Metamorphmagus though to his intense annoyance, no matter what form he took he couldn't shake the lightning bolt scar that still marked his forehead. It was a useful skill but the scar had given him away on a few occasions so he had to be very careful. Long hair that covered his forehead was required but a quick gust of wind could reveal the mark. He had to risk it tonight, his informant had revealed information he had to act on instantly. He was going to get chewed out later though. He hadn't called for backup today. 'I didn't have time, I had to act quickly' was never as good an excuse as he hoped.

He was about to reach for the small mirror in his cargo pants beneath the cloak but just then Ted stepped from Borgins and Burkes and head straight for the alleyway Harry was hidden in. His grip tensed on his wand and he pushed himself back into the shadows as the wizard walked right past him without noticing. Walking deep into the alley he stood around for a moment before there was a loud CRACK.

"About time Crabbe," Ted muttered, "been waiting here ages!"

"You got here right before we arrived Huntly, don't lie to us, do you have the items?" replied a sneering voice, it was Causpell, a right hand man of Lucius and quite a skilled Legilimens.

"Aye, not easy to find these ingredients you know, highly illegal, took a lot of effort to track them all down you understand." Ted started.

"Don't try to give us all the boring details, we had an agreed price, you can agree to them or we can kill you here, take the ingredients and find another petty thief." Causpell snarled.

Harry looked back to the entrance then to the group, it was just him, Huntly, Causpell, Vincent Crabbe and another Death Eater in the alley. He drew his wand and cast an anti-apparation ward on the alley to make sure they couldn't escape and stood quickly, "Stupify! Expelliarmus! Petrificus Totalus! Stupify! Incarcerous!!" He focused hard and shouted the words in his head, a rainbow of spells firing from his non-verbal spells.

The first red spark struck Crabbe hard, knocking him to the ground unconscious. The disarming charm hit Huntly, spinning him into the alley wall. Causpell had his wand out to threaten Huntly already and at the sparks of light threw up a quick Protego to deflect the Body-Bind which flew straight into Ted, locking him up and letting him snap back into a pile of empty cardboard boxes. The final Death Eater also raised a shield, but the stunner from Harry broke through the weaker wizard's defences stunning him as well.

"Incendio!" Causpell countered, burning the ropes in midair as they flew towards them.

"This is Auror Potter, You are under arrest! Give up Causpell" Harry growled, floating a wooden crate to block a quick crucio, "You can't escape and we both know how much you dislike pain" he flicked his wand and the shards of the broken crate flew through the alley to hit another shield. A small piece slipping through and piercing Causwell's ear causing him to shriek and swear and send a volley of random curses at Harry.

With a sigh Harry threw up a strong shield to block all the minor curses and floated up a few more objects to block the unforgiveables. He had given him the choice to surrender, though more for the show of things, he was going to be in enough trouble with Shacklebolt soon enough to add misconduct to the charges.

Harry absently flicked shards of whatever Causwell shattered back at him, this time aiming carefully though. Causwell went into a blind fury when his blood was spilt and didn't bother with defences. He waited for the fury to reach its peak.

"Avada Ked…" started the greasy wizard.

"STUPIFY!" Harry yelled and a bright burst of red flew down the alley, strong enough to burst the shield which wasn't there. Harry knew this of course but added the extra power because he could justify it, he just wished he could use lethal force.

Walking over to the unconscious bodies he Accio'ed the wands and let all but Causwell's fall in a pile, destroying them with a reductor curse before dropping the last into a bag and sealing it with a spell before pocketing it. He pointed his wand up the alley and a streak of silver burst forth from another silent spell. He then turned to the prisoners, binding each and picking up a few bottles transformed them to portkeys, sending his prisoners to the cells in the ministry. Harry smiled and started counting, "one, two, three, fou…"

"POTTER!" bellowed a voice from his pocket, Harry granted himself a small smirk before pulling out the small silver mirror and quickly pulled up an emotionless mask before looking into it, watching Kingsley Shacklebolt's face appear.

"Sir?" he replied passively

"If I ask you to explain why we have just received four prisoners in our cells from portkeys you just created, what are you going to say," his deep calming voice asked "Especially considering you are off duty and alone"

"I'll inform you a remarkable tale of myself going for an innocent drink in the leaky cauldron enjoying my quiet evening after a long day of work and being notified of a ruckus in Knockturn Alley by a rather upset and bleeding redhead witch. I sent my patronus requesting backup immediately as is procedure before heading to the location. There I found the four prisoners you mentioned, arguing over payment for the illegal goods you'll find upon the young blonde wizard. I believed them to be about to leave so I was forced to act to prevent their escape, Sir."

"Yes, the Patronus is procedure on the books, but that's because they haven't updated it to include other swifter means of communication, like these mirrors." Kingley appraised Harry's face, looking for a crack in the emotionless mask.

"I had been studying my handbook during Lunch, guess the rules about Patroni was fresher to mind, Sir," Harry's face didn't flicker.

"Very good Potter," replied Kingsley, "but why are you in disguise if you were just out for a drink"

"Wanted a quiet night Sir," Harry replied without pause "It's impossible to have such if they know Harry Potter is there, I didn't want to cause a riot by refusing all the drink offers nor arrive for work tomorrow hungover from accepting."

"I will expect a written report tomorrow Potter," replied Kingsley, obviously not believing a word but not bothered enough to rebuke him tonight "You have enough evidence to hold them?"

"Aye," Harry nodded, "Huntly and Causwell at least. The evidence in Huntly's pockets, the Gringott's slip in Causwell's and his wand with an unforgivable as the last cast and a Pensieve Memory vial of the conversation."

"Excellent, I'll take the liberty of nulling your medal with your broken rules to save me adding to your file. Speaking of which, I received another complain from filing about you, your file has filled another cabinet." Kingsley tried to hold in a smirk at this, his fondness for the paperwork was on par with Harry's, "Now Potter, go home, I don't want to receive another complaint from the minister that his favourite daughter's husband is being overworked."

"Fiancee" corrected Harry.

"Whatever, go home!" replied Kingsley with a scowl.

"Yes Sir," replied Harry.

The mirror faded to his reflection again and Harry pocketed it swiftly. He berated himself mentally that he had used the "reviewing the handbook" excuse last week when he busted Gregory Goyle. Well he had used it, now it would have to go into the report. At least they'd have Causwell in Azkaban, for a life sentence, it was a pity Crabbe would be free in a few months. He suspected he'd get a weak sentence like Goyle. He hadn't done anything wrong except being present at an illegal deal. Malfoy's lawyers would have him free in no time flat.

It had been seven years since the fall of Voldemort back in Harry's seventh year but "Death Eater" activity had yet to cease. The fall of the Dark Lord led to fighting within the ranks of his followers and eventually the original Death Eaters divided. But since then the Ministry had been plagued by small faction groups, most of the high ranking death eaters had sough to take control in the mayhem.

Lucius Malfoy along with his wife and the largest faction of the original Death Eaters were focusing on control of the ministry. Assassination attempts on ministers and high ranking officials combined with bribery, threats and corruption was all part of their plans to place a puppet in command of the Ministry of Magic. They claimed the new name of "The Pure Ministry."

Since Voldemort was gone the dark marks weren't present anymore, so tying charges to the old Death Eaters was still very difficult. Lucius didn't have much influence in the ministry these days, so his money was spent retaining lawyers to find the most obscure loopholes to free anyone brought in. Harry found it taxing, but a bit less than most of the other Aurors. Everyone found this odd, since Harry did more work than anyone to bring them in only to smile as they walked back out months later.

Well, not everyone, Harry had confessed his reason to Ron and Hermione, earning a snigger from the redhead and a disapproving look from the bushy brunette. The biggest reason was that each time they were released he knew they would soon be into trouble again. Then he got to curse them into oblivion and drag them in again. Anyone who was released that quickly wasn't too much of a threat, and hexing the pair of toughs from Hogwarts repeatedly was quite enjoyable.

Since Harry had defeated the Dark Lord he had thought long and hard over his future, wanting to fade from the public life and the fame. But the mayhem caused upon the weakened ministry forced him into action yet again. Since then Hermione, Ron and Neville and him had taken honorary Auror badges and fought against the rising factions. But Harry had insisted on taking the Auror training course part time to learn even more about defeating dark wizards. Minister Louis had been greatly pleased with this and hoped they would pay careful attention to the rule and regulation classes.

During the seventh year Minister Scrimgeour had been killed by Voldemort in person during the ministries Yule Ball. An attempt to force some normalcy into the wizarding world amid the chaos was horrifically destroyed when Voldemort arrived with his Death Eaters and had Avada Kedavra'ed the minister. Minister Louis had been promoted in his stead and had been in charge during the downfall of the dark lord. Though it was common knowledge he hadn't done a great deal to aid the downfall, however unlike past ministers he let Harry have free reign in his efforts. Trent Louis was a half blood who had been a steadfast supporter of Dumbledore before and after his death. He was also a little known member of the Order of the Phoenix.

He was poisoned, though non-fatally, and was forced into early retirement through a plot of the pure ministry. The consequent election brought forth Minister Grimth, who lasted about 40 seconds before he was hit by twenty stunners from the crowd upon his opening speech. The belief he was a puppet of some new Death Eater faction was rather clearly brought to light with his rather gleeful announcement intentions to reform the laws of the wizarding world. The statement which included such ideas as muggle hunting, closing down the Aurors and requiring all ministry heads to be pureblood wizards was a bit of a giveaway.

In the seven years Harry had served with the Aurors he had seen five Ministers of Magic and saved two of them from certain death. In fact he had saved the current minister three times, if you included warning Dumbledore about the snake attack in the 5th year. Arthur Weasley had been elected three years ago, thus far he was the longest serving minister since the downfall of Voldemort.

Harry had focused and switched to a blue eyed redhead before pulling the hood of his cloak over his face. He walked back to the leaky cauldron, having a few short words with Tom behind the bar before stepping into the floo and heading for Grimmauld Place. He landed silently and started sneaking across the room, heading for the stairs, keeping himself as quiet as possible.

"WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN!" came a loud scream from a sitting chair pointed at the fireplace to the side of the room, Harry winced immediately, the voice sounding so like Molly Weasley it was uncanny.

He turned and pulled back the hood, focusing and resuming his normal look, his black hair resuming its unruly state and his bright emerald eyes turning to look into those of Ginerva Weasley's. Her own bright brown eyes were burning with anger and her wand was sparking as she pointed it at him.

"Got caught up in paperwork in the office love, didn't realise the time, I recon the wizards down in filing are trying to get revenge for all the paperwork I make for them by making me double check and sign everything." He offered her a tired smile.

"Not buying it, try again" she scowled.

"Fine, I was heading out of the door when we received an message from Tonks, there was a couple of low risk criminals trying to pass off amulets to ward against unforgivables again. I went as secondary backup in case they tried to bolt" he explained.

"I'm not Ron, who'll believe your stories, nor Kingsley, who'll not believe a word but accept it anyways, try again" her scowl decreased slightly but she was still fuming.

"There was another riot outside Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes when their new love potions, guaranteed to work on the Boy-Who-Lived, was released and I had to go prove it wrong?" Harry sensed she was weakening enough to let that one go unpunished as she smirked and gave him a penetrating look.

"Enough jokes smart guy, the truth?" her voice was calmer now and Harry let out a sigh, looking into her bright brown eyes.

"I went to meet an informant, he told me that within the hour a known petty criminal was meeting some Death Eaters to pass over some illegal goods, I went solo to go apprehend them. It was Causwell with some guards, Crabbe included, Vincent, not his father."

"I see," she sighed, "Harry, you have to stop being a one man army, you can't go get them all. One day you're going to run into something too hard and you're going to get hurt with no-one to help you."

"Nothing is too hard for the Boy-Who-Lived" he flashed her a cheeky grin which she disarmed with an upset glare.

"I'm serious, I'm fed up of going to bed alone because my fiancée is off fighting against half a dozen death eaters. I'm fed up of waking up by myself because you've rushed to work for the smallest event. I'm fed up of spending all evening by myself because you're too busy in the office. I'm fed up of being your fiancée for nearly seven years and never your wife because your life is too unstable to give you a few weeks off for our wedding and honeymoon." Ginny's bright brown eyes glistened with tears forcing Harry to pull her into a tight hug.

"I'm sorry Ginny," he stroked her long red hair with his hand as he held her tight "I just can't settle down until I'm sure something won't go wrong. I don't want to drop to sleep holding you knowing that the morning will bring news that someone we care about died during the night because I wasn't there to save them."

"That's it Harry, you shouldn't have to be there to save them, you should be free to live your life!" she sobbed into his shoulder

"I lost that right when Voldemort failed to kill me when I was one. I've been a threat to every Dark Lord wannabe since then. No thanks to the ministry advertising a few years back. 'No need to fear, Harry Potter's here' indeed. I knew I refused Scrimgeour for a reason." Harry sighed "At least your Dad's never tried that one."

"I'm sorry Harry," Ginny whispered as her sobs turned to snivels, "Let's go to bed, and you are staying there until I wake or I swear you'll be chased by Bat Bogeys for a week!"

Harry laughed and swept Ginny into his arms, carrying her back upstairs to the bedroom.