Unofficial Portkey Archive

Affaire D'Amour by MisCard
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Affaire D'Amour

MisCard


~A/N> Hello and Happy Holidays! I found a two part short story that I wrote and posted on my live journal, and figured that I would post it here for you to read. I've combined both parts into a one-shot and hopefully you like it, it's a songfic to the song, "Lips Of An Angel" by Hinder. I've never written anything like this before, so please be kind. This was my first try at it and found it to be entertaining. Again, Merry (Happy) Christmas and Happy New Year to you all! :) And I hope I got the rating right, there's just a few bad words and then of course the theme of the story itself...

Affaire D'Amour


"Hello?"

"Hi."

"Hermione?"

"Yeah."

"What time is it?"

"It's almost midnight."

silence "Ginny's not home yet."

"I saw her just before I left the Ministry tonight, she said she had to work late again."

"Oh. What about Ron?"

"He's already asleep."

"Why aren't you sleeping?"

"I couldn't fall asleep, I kept thinking about you. I missed you today."

"I missed you too."

"Were you terribly busy?"

"Yeah. Shacklebolt sent us out after there was a Death Eater attack in Diagon Alley."

pause "Death Eater attack?"

"It was just Malfoy trying to prove he was as dangerous and evil as his father. We caught him within ten minutes of arriving. He didn't even get to cause any major damage."

"And you're okay?"

"I'm fine, Hermione."

"You know I worry about you."

"I know."

"Will I see you tomorrow?"

"I'll try to make an excuse for lunch, will that work?"

"I think so. Ron has practice tomorrow morning, so he shouldn't be done until one." silence "Harry?"

"I gotta go. Ginny just got home."

"Okay, bye."

"Bye."


The Next Day

"Hello?"

"Hermione? Can you talk?"

"Hold on..." silence "Okay, I can talk now."

"Ron's home?"

"Yeah, he had a rough practice today. I guess he didn't do well and his coach really let him have it."

"So he's in one of his moods."

"Yeah."

silence "I'm sorry I didn't meet you for lunch. Ginny um, kind of showed up in my office today."

"Oh."

"I tried to find a way to leave, but she was...adamant about having lunch with me." silence "Hermione?"

"Yeah."

"I really am sorry."

"I know Harry, it's just that this is so hard. What happened to us? We were so happy together that first time, and then..."

silence "I don't know. We just grew apart, and I know I didn't handle it well."

pause "Didn't handle it well? You cheated on me with Ginny."

"I know." silence "You cheated on me with Ron."

"I know that, Harry. I did it to get back at you. I've apologized just as many times as you have. How is it that we hurt each other so badly, yet we still want to be together again?"

"I don't know, but I miss you. I want to be with you."

"I know, me too."

silence

"I have to go, Ginny's calling me and I don't want her to get suspicious."

"Alright. Maybe we'll see each other tomorrow."

"I'll try."

"Goodnight, Harry."

"Goodnight, Hermione."


The Next Night

"Hello?"

"Where were you today?"

"Hello to you too, Harry."

"I take it he's not home?"

"No, he's not. He's over at the Burrow, helping Molly with something." silence "Harry, what's the matter?"

pause "I came to see you today."

"When?"

"When he was there."

pause "Oh."

"Yeah, oh. I felt like I had been punched in the stomach and couldn't breathe."

"I'm sorry. If I had known you were coming, I would have come up with an excuse to get away from him."

"It looked to me like you were enjoying yourself."

"Harry..." silence "I couldn't quite say, 'Oh, so sorry Ron. I have to sneak off to be with Harry now. I'll see you at home tonight.'!"

"I don't want to fight with you."

"I don't want to fight with you either, but you're being a stubborn prat. You're with Ginny, I'm with Ron...we chose to be with other people. Please don't be mad at me for the choices we both made."

"I don't like seeing you with him."

"I don't like seeing you with her."

"What are we doing?"

"I have no idea." pause "I have to go, he just got home. Will I see you tomorrow?"

"Maybe."

"Please don't be that way...I didn't know."

silence "I know, I'm sorry. I'll try to come see you tomorrow."

"Bye."

"Bye."


Two Days Later

"Hello?"

"Hi."

"Are you at home?"

"No, I'm still at the Ministry. Do you think you can get away?"

"Why are you working so late?"

"Ginny and I had one hell of a row and I'm staying here tonight instead of going home." silence "Hermione?"

"Hold on..." silence more silence "I can get away."

"I'll see you soon then?"

"I'll be there as soon as I can."

"Alright, I'll be waiting for you."

"Bye."

"Bye."


The Day After

"Hello?"

"Can you talk?"

"Yeah, Ginny's working late tonight."

"So you went back to her?"

"She came to talk to me today during lunch and apologized. I couldn't just tell her no."

"Right."

"Hermione..."

"I know Harry, and I understand. I just don't like it."

"I don't either." pause "Last night was wonderful."

"It was quite lovely." silence "Harry?"

pause "If you leave him, I'll leave her."

"What? Harry, we can't do that to them!"

"Why not? We're not happy with them. The only time I feel complete is when I'm with you."

"I feel the same way, but it wouldn't be fair to them."

"And staying with them under false pretenses is?"

silence "No, no I guess it isn't."

"Just think about it, and when you decide let me know. I want to be with you Hermione, it's you I want to come home to every day and wake up next to every morning, not her." silence "Hermione?"

crying "I know, I feel the same way."

"Please don't cry. You know how much I hate when you cry and I can't hold you in my arms to comfort you."

sniffles "I know, I'm sorry. I wish you could hold me right now...I always feel so safe when you hold me. So loved."

"I do love you. You know that, right?"

"I know, and I love you, too. So much it hurts sometimes." silence "Harry?"

"I'm here. Do you think we'll ever be able to be together again, without the past coming back to haunt us all the time?"

"I'm not sure. I guess if we don't let it haunt us, we'll be okay. We just need to forgive each other and start all over again."

"Can you forgive me?"

silence "I don't know."

"If it means being with you for the rest of my life, I would find a way to forgive you, and forget everything that happened."

"Harry, I...you really hurt me."

pause "I know, and I never meant to do that. I acted out of anger and ruined the best thing that's ever happened to me." silence "I'll um...I'll let you go. Just think about what I said, okay? I meant it when I said I would leave her for you."

"I know you did, I'm just afraid."

"Of what?"

"Of leaving him, and then you not leaving her."

"Hermione, I'd never, ever do that to you. Do you not have any faith in me anymore?"

"I do, it's just that...I don't think I..."

"You don't trust me."

"That's not true! Harry, I trust you with my life!"

pause "But not your heart."

"It's just that after last time...all the pain I went through, and then you..."

"You don't trust me."

silence "I don't know how I feel anymore. I have to go..."

"Okay."

"Please don't be angry with me, Harry. I couldn't bear it."

"I...I'm not mad at you, Hermione. I'm mad at myself. I did this to us, and I don't know how to fix it."

"If it's meant to be, it will work out."

"Right."

"Don't be cynical. It's not an attractive trait."

"Kind of hard not to be after all I've fucked up over the years."

"Harry..."

"Yeah, I know. Don't swear."

pause "So I'll talk to you soon?"

"Yeah, we'll talk soon. If the only way I can be with you is the way we've been the past six months, then I'll deal with it. I don't want to lose you again."

"I don't want to lose you either. I'll think about what you said."

"You promise?"

"I promise. Goodnight Harry, I love you."

"Me too, luv, me too. Goodnight."


TWO WEEKS LATER

"Hello?" silence "Hello? Someone there?"

crying, then whispers "H-He's gone and done it."

"Hermione? Is that you? Who's done what? What's going on?"

pause "I never thought he'd do it. It was so out of the blue and unexpected, I-I...."

"You're really starting to worry me, Hermione. What is going on?" silence "Herm..."

whispers "He's asked me to marry him."

"What?!"

"Please don't shout at me, I already have a dreadful headache."

"I'm sorry, but how exactly did you think I would react to this bit of news?"

"I knew it wouldn't be well, but please just don't shout at me, I've had quite enough of it already."

"What? Why?"

"I turned him down." stunned silence "Harry, did you hear me? I said that I turned down his marriage proposal."

"I-I heard you...I just....I always thought that if he asked you to marry him that you'd say yes."

"How can I marry him when it's you that I love?"

"I-I don't know...I'm just so...I can't believe he asked you. He never said a word to me, and he usually talks to me about these things before he goes and does them."

"I...I think he knows."

"Knows?"

"About us."

pauses "How could he know?"

"I'm not sure, but I-I think Ginny may have said something to him. He brought up something she said tonight after I turned him down."

In background- "Oy! Who're you talking to? Is that him? Gimme that fellytone...Harry, is that you? You smarmy bastard!"

Hermione- "Ron!"

Harry hangs up quickly


THE NEXT DAY

sounding tired "Ministry of Magic, Department of Magical Creature Relations. Hermione Granger speaking, how may I help you?"

"I wanted to call to see how you were doing?"

"Oh, Harry, you have no idea how good it is to hear your voice right now. Last night was just a nightmare. He kept yelling and cursing at me, saying that I was a scarlet woman and no one in their right mind would want me." pauses "Then he started on about you..."

"What about me?"

"How he got your sloppy seconds yet again, and that you'd never want to be with me ever again after he had a 'chat' with you. I'm surprised he hasn't been to see you yet, he was so angry and hurt, I thought he'd be there first thing."

"He hasn't been here yet, but I'll let my assistant know that he may be popping by for a visit." pauses "Are you okay? He...he didn't..."

"I'm fine, other than a night long verbal tongue lashing. I was just so caught off-guard, I never saw any evidence of this coming or I could have prepared myself. I'm more afraid of what he might try to do to you when he comes to see you."

"I'm not, I know how to handle Ron. He'll come in here swinging before even saying a word."

"That's what I'm afraid of." silence "You still there?"

"Yeah, sorry, I was just thinking. You know that nothing he says will change how I feel about you, right?" silence "Hermione, you do know that, don't you?"

whimpers "I can't lose you again."

"You aren't going to lose me, luv, I promise. I told you before, I will never, ever hurt you again. I was a right ass for hurting you the way I did our seventh year, and I regret it everyday. You were the reason that I defeated Voldemort, Hermione. My love for you saved me that day, did you know that?"

pauses "No."

"I just thought of all the good times we had together before I went and screwed it all up, and how much I still loved you even though I was with Ginny at the time, and it gave me the strength to defeat him. Of course he got inside my head and tried to use my...indescretion...against me, but it didn't work." buzzer sounds in background "Hold on a tic..." muffled talking and Harry sighs "It seems that Ron is here. I need to go."

"Harry, please don't..."

"Hermione, this is something that Ron and I need to work out. I'll be careful, I promise." whispers "I love you."

"I love you, too."


THREE NIGHTS LATER

mumbles sleepily "Hullo?"

pauses, then in a stressed tone "Hermione..."

"Harry, what's wrong?"

"Hermione, she...she..."

"She who, Harry? Ginny? What happened? What did she do?" silence "You're starting to scare me...oh no, she's not p-pregnant, is she?"

"What?! No, no, Merlin forbid! Even if she was, it wouldn't be mine."

"What? Harry, please tell me what's happened."

"Before I left work tonight, I went down to her office to talk with her before leaving. She and I haven't been on the best of terms since I blackened Ron's eye and 'dared to defend you', so I figured I'd just pop on down to let her know that I was going home a bit early. When I opened the door to her office, I saw her...saw her..."

silence "Saw her what, Harry? Please tell me."

whispers "I walked in on her shagging Seamus Finnegan, right there on her desk. Merlin, I can still see them..."

"Oh, my. Harry, I'm so sorry." pauses "What happened?"

"I sent him to St. Mungo's with a few imaginative hexes and well placed punches, and told the cheating cow to get her shit out of my house tonight."

silence, then with a hint of anger "W-what we're doing is the same as what she and Seamus were doing. Does that make me a cheating cow?"

"What?! Hermione, you know that's not what I meant! I'm just angry and upset right now...I don't love her, but I never expected her to do this to me. She always said she loved me and I was never able to say it back to her. I guess it's easy for her to throw that word around."

"What about you? Do you use that word loosely as well?"

"You know that I don't, Hermione. Nobody ever loved me for who I was...well, that's not true, you said that you did. Did you mean it? Do you still mean it now?"

"Of course I do, you've always had my heart and soul Harry. You're my first true love, you're the first boy I kissed, you were the boy I gave my innocence to...it's always been you. If only we had a timeturner..."

"Yeah, that would come in handy right about now. Anyway, I'm staying in my office waiting for her to clear out. Do you...can I come see you?"

"Of course you can. Now that Ron's moved back to the Burrow, you don't even have to ask."

"I'll be right there."


SIX MONTHS LATER

"Ministry of Magic, Auror Potter speaking, how may I help you?"

"Hey you."

"Hey, luv. How'd things go?"

"Well..." silence

"Hermoine? Is everything okay? It's not something serious, is it?"

pauses "Actually, it is..."

takes a deep breath "What'd they say?"

pauses "I think I should tell you when you get home tonight."

"No, I'm not going to wait that long if it's something serious, Hermione. If I have to, I'll come home right now."

"No, no, if you take any more time off they're liable to sack you."

"Bugger them! You're more important than some damn lower-level position at the Ministry."

pauses "I love you."

"I love you, too, but you're not going to get my mind off of this so easily..."

"Okay, okay, if you really want to know."

"Yes, I do."

"Well, um...you...you're going to be a Dad."

stunned silence "I-I'm w-what?"

"I'm pregnant Harry, about six weeks along. We're going to be parents."

"Brilliant! That's just...brilliant! The best news I've ever gotten. Bugger it all, I'm coming home now."

"But..."

"No, no 'but's, I'll be there within the hour." pauses "Merlin, we're having a baby?"

"We are, and you're going to be such a wonderful father."

"What about you? You'll be a natural as a mum, you'll have him or her casting spells at a second year level by the time he or she is four."

"Very funny, Potter. Just...hurry home, okay?"

"Already on my way. I love you."

"And I love you, too."

~The End!~ :)