Unofficial Portkey Archive

Broken by Azusena
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Broken

Azusena

A/N: Please read and review I hope you like it!

My name is Hermione Jane Granger. You might have heard of me. It's fine if you haven't though. I kind of prefer it that way.

The reason you might have heard of me is because I'm one part of the famous trio that defeated Lord Voldemort a little more then two years ago.

Or more recently you might have heard about me virtually disappearing from the world after I got tortured by a group of death eaters. It was all over the newspapers. Even Witch Weekly had my story on the front page. I'd given everything I had to finding and bringing in death eaters and I can't do it anymore.

I keep seeing the mangled bodies of the children they tortured to get me to reveal what I knew. There was so much blood. I keep seeing there lifeless eyes looking up at me and I feel the pain of the numerous curses they inflicted upon me whenever I close my eyes. That's all I can feel anymore, pain and suffering. I want my life back; I want to feel something again.

It has gotten better though. My nightmares have become less frequent. I haven't woken up screaming in more than a month.

I took a researching job for the French ministry. It's one of the most normal things I've ever done. I was always considered strange in primary school and even when I got accepted to Hogwarts I was still looked at as odd by most of my classmates. I was always in the library with my two best friends Ron Weasley and Harry Potter. Yes, you heard me right I did say Harry Potter, the boy who lived and the savior of the wizarding world.

This brings me to my next point, the other thing that makes me even remotely normal. I don't have a boyfriend. I guess I just haven't found Mr. Right. I thought I had a long time ago, but I was wrong.

So you can imagine my surprise when while I was sitting alone in my flat doing so work that I had taken home I heard the doorbell ring.

No one ever comes to my house except when I order out and it hasn't really bothered me that much that I'm alone.

I got up from my chair at my desk and hurried to the door thinking it was probably the Chinese I had ordered.

I grabbed my purse and started rifling through all my stuff looking for some muggle money as I opened the door. I didn't look up. It couldn't be anyone, but the Chinese, or so I thought. "How much was it again?" I asked.

"Hermione?" I looked up into Harry Potter's emerald green eyes.

"Is this a bad time?" he asked looking past me into my office where I had a million and one things piled on my desk.

Hermione, is this a bad time?

That is what my ex-boyfriend/best friend says to me after almost two years of complete silence. Not so much as a phone call.

Alright, so yeah I was the one who moved to France and became an auror. But it was to help fight the death eaters. I was saving people's lives.

It wasn't like I was having any FUN!

Not like he was having, or so I can only assume since when I went over to his flat one day he was practically making out with some bleached blonde in a tube top outside his flat.

Oh, sure. He said she'd kissed him, that she was just one of his many fan girls that caught him off guard when she asked for his autograph then kissed him. He said that if I'd stayed around I would have seen him push her away.

Yeah. I bet. Because guys hate it when blondes with huge boobs and personalities to match come up and start kissing them.

After that I left. I wouldn't return any of his calls and I broke off all ties with almost everyone else. Then less then a month later I moved to France and I hadn't talked to him since, until now that is.

I didn't say anything I just stared at him. Everything was flooding back. I hadn't stood this close to him in a long time. He changed since I'd last saw him. He'd filled out a little bit and gotten taller. I heard he'd become an auror as well so that could explain it, at least the filling out part. I had changed too. I cut my hair short when I became an auror and I charmed it straight every morning. I'd also gotten a little bit taller though not as tall as Harry who now stood almost three quarters of a foot taller then my five feet and six inches. I'd also gotten a lot stronger since I became an auror and I still ran a couple miles each morning.

"I can come back later if you want." said Harry, "I can see your working."

I thought about telling him to leave, but immediately dismissed the idea. Harry coming here made me feel something and I hadn't felt anything in a long time. I looked back at my cluttered desk then shrugged. "It can wait. Do you want to come in?"

Harry nodded and I stepped to the side to let him pass before shutting the door behind him.

"Would you like anything to drink?" I asked him as I followed him into the living room.

"A butterbeer would be great. If you have one," he answered.

I sat down in one of the chairs and motioned for him to sit across from me then summoned a butterbeer for him and one for me as well.

I could tell that Harry was nervous because he kept running his hand through his already messy hair.

"So," I started because someone had to say something, "how's Ron?"

He seemed startled by the question.

"That's actually why I came," he said getting directly to the point

"The thing is Ron went missing about a month ago."

"What?" I asked. Ron was missing? How come I hadn't heard anything? Surely Ginny would have told me, she was the only contact I had in the wizarding world, or it would have at least been in the papers.

"It's been kept a secret for the most part," he said as if reading my mind. "I haven't been able to find him. There are no leads so I was hoping that you might be able to help."

"I don't do that anymore." I said.

`I know," he said hurriedly, "I've read the papers and I've heard from Ginny that you were really messed up when they found you and you still are."

I glared at him.

"Please just at least take a look at the papers, maybe you can see something that I haven't."

He pulled out a large file and pushed it toward me. I took it, but didn't look at it. "I`ll try," I said finally.

He nodded. "Thank you." Then he stood up.

"Where are you staying?" I asked.

"The Golden Dove," he named a hotel not far from where I lived in muggle Paris. I nodded.

"I'll let you know if I find anything."

Then with a quick good-bye he left.

I went through all the information he gave me a couple times, but at about two o' clock I decided the rest could wait until tomorrow. I fell asleep with Ron on my mind. I saw him being tortured over and over again by faceless people until I finally fell into a restless sleep.

A/N: Okay so that was the first chapter. I hope you guys liked it. Please review and I'll put the next chapter up soon. Also this is loosely based off a book my Meg Cabot and I'm sorry for any errors I skipped over when I was proof-reading.


-->