Unofficial Portkey Archive

Hogwarts Musical by Laen
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Hogwarts Musical

Laen

Title: Hogswarts Musical

Author: Laen

Chapter: (1) New Years Eve

Summary: Imagine High School Musical... Harry Potter style!

Disclaimer: Harry Potter doesn't belong to me, and if High School Musical did belong to me heaven knows I wouldn't be writing this =P the songs are from the High School Musical soundtrack... I did not write them, so DON'T SUE!

Author's Note: All those who have the soundtrack-break it out! Listening to the song while reading the lyrics makes it easier to visualize all of this!

~*~

The snow fell was falling hard outside, and for the first time in his life Harry Potter was on vacation with the Dursleys. They were in New York, and while Harry's aunt, uncle, and cousin were waiting for the ball to drop, Harry was in the lounge listen to people sing very off-key and writing up tactics for the upcoming Quidditch match against Slytherin. It was his final year at Hogwarts, and Gryffindor was just points away from winning both the Quidditch and House cup.

He had just defeated Voldemort days ago, and as a suggestion from Dumbledore decided to join his `family' on the trip abroad. Of course, the so called `vacation' wasn't really with his family. While the Dursleys lived on the eleventh floor of the five star hotel Harry was staying at the top suite, enjoying the wonderful view.

Harry had made it clear to the Dursleys before he came that he would be paying for himself, and after seeing the look of shock on their face when he pulled out his Visa, he was glad he took up Dumbledore's suggestion.

`But Harry, did you really come all this way just to worry about Quidditch?' a familiar voice asked inside his head.

Taking a deep breath and sighing, Harry closed his notes and shut his eyes. Sirius was right. Although his God-Father was busy with marking and tutorial lessons for other students during the winter break, Sirius Black had made it very clear that Harry was to relax on his trip to New York. After all, it was his first time aboard-anywhere!

Sitting back and taking a good look at his surroundings, Harry noticed the time on the wall: 11:37PM; just under half an hour until midnight. Shifting his view around the room once again, he began to take in all that was happening. Mean while, across the room...

"Hermione, it's New Years Eve. Enough reading," a woman said before she took the book out of her daughter's hands.

"Oh but, mum, I'm almost done!" Hermione cried out, jumping to her feet as she tried to get her book back.

"No Hermione! It's nearly midnight! You're sitting in the middle of the lounge-where there is a party, and you're reading?"

"Oh... fine, but can I at least have my book back?" Hermione asked with a pout.

Jane Granger sighed before handing the book back to her daughter.

"Your father and I will be-"

"I know mum, don't worry." Hermione cut in, giving her mother a smile for reassurance.

Jane returned the smile, before giving her daughter a light pat on the shoulder and walking off. Hermione gave the cover of her book a quick glance before rolling her eyes and getting to her feet in search of a good place to sit; a place that had somewhat of a good view. Although she loved to read, she also respected her mother's wishes, and it wasn't very often that her mother would ask her to take a break from reading.

After finding a good seat near the karaoke stage, Hermione sat down and watched the two people on stage finish singing their song. They were singing fairly off key, but she couldn't complain. She barely had the guts to get up there to begin with, who was she to comment?

When the song finally came to an end, Hermione adjusted her attention to the game of pool that was happening a few feet away, not bothering to listen to the host.

"All right! How about that for a couple of New Yorkers?" the crowd cheered loudly, and the host continued.

`Yeah! Who's gonna rock the house next? Huh?" jumping off the stage, the host began to look through the crowd.

Harry had been staring off into space just thinking about nothing when suddenly a bright light fell upon him. Next thing he knew, he was pulled up by two people, and thrown up onto the stage.

"Wait? What?" he cried out, completely out of the loop as to what was happening.

At the same time, Hermione was going through the same thing.

"I can't-I really can't! No!" but it was too late, she had been shoved onto the stage.

"You know, someday you two might thank me for this," the host smiled at Harry, before handing him a microphone and noticing the look of panic on his face, "or not."

The look of panic on Harry's face was about to get worse when the boy who lived suddenly noticed the girl standing next to him. The expression on her face was unreadable, and it didn't look like she wanted to be there either. As the music began, Harry realized it was too late to step out now, so he might as well sing the first few lines before getting off.

"Living in my own world

Didn't understand

That anything can happen

When you take a chance..."

Turning around about preparing to leave, Harry was left breathless when he heard the girl next to him sing.

"I never believed in

What I couldn't see

I never opened my heart..."

"Whoa..." Harry suddenly jumped in.

"To all the possibilities...

I know that something has changed...

Never felt this way

And right here tonight..."

"This could be the start

Of something new

If feels so right

To be here with you... whoa...

And now looking in your eyes

I feel in my heart

The start of something new..."

The crowd cheered loudly, and every pair of eyes in the room was suddenly locked onto the two teenagers.

"Now who'd of ever thought that

We'd both be here tonight... yeah...

And the world looks so much brighter... brighter...

With you by my side

I know that something has changed

Never felt this way

I know it for real

This could be the start

Of something new

It feels so right

To be here with you... whoa...

And now looking in your eyes

I feel in my heart

The start of something new..."

It was at that moment, did Harry decide he was going to `get into it'. Grabbing the stand his microphone was on, he continued the song.

"I never knew that it could happen

Till it happened to me... whoaaaa yeah!"

His actions seemed to have helped the girl standing next to him loosen up, cause the next lines were filled with passion.

"I didn't know it before

But now it's easy to see..."

"It's a start

Of something new

It feels so right

To be here with you

And now looking in your eyes

I feel in my heart...

That it's the start

Of something new

It feels so right

To be here with you

And now looking in your eyes

I feel in my heart

The start of something new..."

"Start of something new..."

"The start of something... new…"

Panting and gasping for air, Harry stared at the girl standing in front of him in amazement. He had never heard anyone sing like that before in his life. At the same time, Hermione stood across from him with her heart pounding. She couldn't believe she managed to make it through the first few lines without fainting!

Holding his hand out towards the girl in front of him, Harry introduced himself.

"Harry."

"Hermione." The girl said, her accent causing Harry to raise his eyebrows.

The two of them stepped down from the stage as the host returned to lure more unsuspecting teenagers, searching for a much quieter location to continue their conversation.

"You um, did a really great job up there!" Harry said with a smile on his face.

Hermione blushed and shook her head lightly.

"No, seriously, you have an amazing voice," Harry stated as the two of them made their way up the stairs and towards the balcony.

"Not really..." Hermione mumbled, turning red from the compliment.

"You're a singer, right?" Harry asked, his smile widening when Hermione nodded to confirm his guesses.

"I'm in the choir at Bau-I mean, at school, that's all. I tried to do a solo last year and nearly fainted." Hermione confessed.

"Really? Why is that?" Harry asked.

"I took one look at all the people staring at me and the next thing I knew I was staring at the ceiling. End of solo career." Hermione laughed.

Harry stared at her with a look of shock on his face before continuing.

"With the way you sang tonight, that's pretty hard to believe."

"Well that was the first time I did that." Hermione blurted out, "I mean it was brilliant!"

"I know! Completely!" Harry agreed.

"Well you sounded like you've sung a lot, too." Hermione commented, watching as Harry rolled his eyes and shook his head.

"Yeah sure. My showerhead is very impressed with me."

Hermione laughed, finding herself enjoying the conversation between Harry and her. The conversation however, was cut short when suddenly...

"9... 8... 7... 6... 5... 4..."

"3..." Harry joined in.

"2..." Hermione whispered before throwing a glance towards Harry, and feeling butterflies in her stomach when she noticed him staring back.

"1... HAPPY NEW YEARS!" Fireworks could be seen in the sky, and Harry laughed when he saw the sight.

"Um, I guess I better go find my parents and wish them a happy new year." Hermione said, mentally preparing herself for whatever Harry could say next to her.

"Oh, um, yeah... uh... I'll call you-tomorrow! If that's alright..."

A smile appeared onto Hermione's face before she pulled her cell phone out.

"Yeah, definitely!" she said, exchanging phones with Harry.

"Here, put your number in," Harry said before he pushed a few buttons on the cell phone and taking a photo of himself.

"Here you go... oh, hang on a sec..."

Harry took a photo of Hermione, and saved it into his cell phone memory before recognizing the brand of phone Hermione had.

"Hey, it's that a Weasleys Wizard Wheezes model-" he turned around, but found no one.

Staring down at his magical cell phone and taking a good look at the photo he had taken of Hermione, he smiled weakly.

"Hermione."


-->