Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Last Train from Hogwarts by gluglug
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Last Train from Hogwarts

gluglug

The Last Train from Hogwarts by Gluglug

Disclaimer: The Harry Potter universe and all the characters in it belong to J.K. Rowling. No infringement intended, just borrowing.

Summary: One shot - post HBP. The trio clears the air while on the Hogwarts Express.

=========================================================================

Harry Potter stared out the window of the Hogwarts Express, watching the moors and mountains pass him by as the train chugged its way towards its destination of King's Cross Station. He sat alone in his compartment as images from the day filled his mind. It had been a busy, sad and strange day consisting of endings (Dumbledore's funeral, his relationship with Ginny, his career at Hogwarts) and some beginnings as well. Despite his melancholic mood and uncertainty about the future, there were at least two things he could count on - his best friends.

Ron and Hermione were off doing their prefect duties. When they had boarded the train, Hermione insisted on carrying out their usual patrol, while Ron argued that they shouldn't bother. With Malfoy gone, it didn't make sense because he and his cohorts were the only ones who took great pleasure in bullying the younger students. Besides they weren't planning on returning to school next term, so who would care? Hermione ignored his protests and dragged him by the arm down the corridor.

Harry chuckled to himself. As annoying as their constant bickering was, it was a reminder of normalcy. But now that the three of them were going on their most dangerous adventure yet, he hoped that there would be more harmony than discord.

He also wondered about the status of their relationship. While his earlier expectation that they might start dating never actually materialized, he noticed that they had been a bit nicer to each other ever since Ron's near death experience and his breakup with Lavender Brown. Harry had never really broached the subject with either of them, but he thought now might be a good time.

Just at that moment, Hermione appeared at the doorway of the compartment still dressed in her school robes and prefect badge. Harry looked at her and motioned her to sit, noticing that she looked a bit drained. She approached the opposite seat and was about to sit when the train lurched forward, throwing Hermione off balance. He reflexively put up his hands and was able to catch her by the waist before she fell.

"Whoa, Hermione!" Harry exclaimed, steadying her. "Are you okay?"

"I'm f-fine, Harry. Thanks for catching me." She replied, her long bushy hair obscuring her face.

Harry realized that Hermione was looking down at his hands around her waist and let go of her. She collapsed into the seat next to him and sighed.

"So how were your prefect duties?"

"Oh, nothing is really going on. Everyone is either napping or sitting around in a daze. And the train is half empty because so many students left school before the funeral."

"So Ron was right, then - you really didn't need to patrol, did you? Where is he, by the way?"

"Oh, he went to talk to Ginny. He said she might need cheering up."

Harry sighed. He had told Ron about their breakup when they returned to the boys' dormitory to retrieve their luggage but had not yet broken the news to Hermione. Ron seemed okay with it but he was worried about Ginny once the news had sunk in.

"Um, Hermione," Harry asked nervously. "Did Ron tell you about Ginny and me?"

"Yes, he did." Hermione said in a neutral tone. "Why didn't you tell me yourself?"

"I wanted to but I didn't have the time. And I kind of wanted to tell Ron first since he is Ginny's brother. I didn't want him to beat me up or hex me."

Hermione chuckled and then she looked thoughtfully at the window. "He didn't tell me why, though."

"I told her it was to keep her safe. But now I'm not sure if that reason holds water anymore because you and Ron are coming with me."

"So does that mean you want to get back together with her?"

Harry shook his head. "No. I made my decision. I still need to leave her behind - I can't be distracted by a girlfriend when I've got more important things to do."

Hermione looked Harry in the eye for the first time since entering the compartment. "You mean we've got more important things to do."

Harry smiled at her correction and again felt his spirits rise. "You know, Hermione. I am really grateful to you and Ron for wanting to come with me. I'm really going to need your help."

"And that's why we're going with you. You can't do this alone." She reached over and took one of his hands in hers and gave it a gentle squeeze.

Harry looked down at their joined hands and was reminded of the innumerable times Hermione had supported and helped him. He was filled with a sudden wave of affection and without thinking about it he pulled her into a hug.

Hermione didn't say anything but she returned his embrace, burying her head on his shoulder. After a moment, Harry felt something wet on his shirt and realized that she was crying.

"Hermione…are you okay?" He asked tentatively as he patted her shoulder.

She pulled away from him and he saw her tearstained face. "I'm sorry Harry, I can't help it. It's just been such an overwhelming day, with the funeral and leaving Hogwarts for possibly the last time ever…and thinking about what we have to face. It's just a lot to deal with right now."

Harry nodded. "It's okay, you don't have to apologize." He reached into his pocket and handed her a handkerchief.

"Thanks," Hermione said as she blew her nose and wiped her eyes. "How are you dealing with it all? You seem so strong."

"Believe me, I'm not as strong as you think. I just know what I have to do, and I'm resolved to get it done. It doesn't mean I'm not scared…but like I said before, I feel better because I have you and Ron coming with me."

Hermione blew her nose and looked down at the stained handkerchief. "I guess you don't need this back, do you?"

Harry grimaced. "No." He paused. "Can I ask you something?"

"Ask me what?" she replied.

"About you and Ron?" Harry said nervously.

"What about me and Ron?" Hermione replied, her eyebrow raised.

"Um…are you two going out? I saw you hugging at the funeral and I thought maybe you were together now."

Hermione looked at him with a quizzical expression. "Since when does a hug mean dating? I mean, we just hugged a minute ago and we're not a couple."

Harry shrugged his shoulders. "Well, it's just that Ron never seemed comfortable hugging you and he didn't seem to have a problem at the funeral so I thought maybe…."

"Ron and I were hugging because we were upset. But we aren't together like that. We're just better friends now. We had a nice long talk when he was in the hospital wing after, well, you know…and we cleared the air. There is nothing going on, I assure you."

Harry sighed in relief. "Oh, good."

Hermione raised her other eyebrow. "Why is that good?"

"Well since you and Ron are coming with me, that means that we're going to be spending a lot of time together, even more than we did at school. I just wanted to know if there was anything going on, so I would be able to give you two some space and not be a third wheel. I also didn't want to have to mediate if you got into some awful row. I need to rely on both of you to be there for me and we need to be united front." Harry took a breath. "Do you understand why I was concerned?"

Hermione nodded, her face sober. "I do. I can't promise you that Ron and I won't argue from time to time, but we're not going to let petty things ruin our friendship. We both agreed when we decided to go with you that you are our number one priority and we won't forget that."

"I'm glad to hear it." Harry said. This time, he was the one to take Hermione's hand in his and their eyes met. At that moment Ron appeared at the door.

Harry pulled his hand from Hermione's grasp as Ron came traipsing in and flopped into the seat opposite him.

"So, was I interrupting anything?"

Harry felt his face grow a bit warm. "Hermione and I were just talking about you."

"Saying only good things, I assume?" Ron joked.

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Oh yes, we were just discussing your chess prowess and your goal keeping ability."

"So, how's Ginny?" Harry said, hoping to change the subject.

"She's a bit brassed off at the moment." Ron replied. "She doesn't understand why she has to stay behind while we accompany you on your journey…I don't really get it either."

"Harry wants Ginny to be safe." Hermione asserted. "You and I understand what Harry is facing and are better equipped to help him. He also needs to focus on the Horcrux hunt and can't afford to be distracted by a girlfriend right now."

Harry gave Hermione a grateful look; she was able to explain his reasons better than he could.

"I just hope Ginny forgives me. I don't want her to bat bogey hex me at the wedding." Harry sighed at the prospect of attending the wedding. He was looking forward to it but with Ginny there, things might be a bit uncomfortable.

"Don't worry mate, we'll protect you." Ron assured him. "Hermione and I will sit with you and keep Ginny and her hexes away from you."

"I don't want to avoid her. Maybe she'll calm down by then?"

"Hopefully." Hermione said. "Although I can't promise that I'll sit with you all night. I kind have promised Viktor that I would save a dance for him."

The boys looked at Hermione in surprise. "You're going with Krum to the wedding?" Harry asked.

Hermione turned a bit pink. "Well, no but Fleur did invite him and he asked me in his letter if I would dance with him. He wants to show me that his skills have improved over the past three years."

"Skills, is that what he's calling it now?" Ron muttered.

Hermione was about to give a retort, but Harry shot her an admonishing look that said no bickering.

She sighed and said, "Viktor and I have been pen pals for the last three years - he's a friend. And besides, he already has a date to the wedding, he's engaged to one of the Holyhead Harpies."

Both Ron and Harry sighed in relief at this news while Hermione looked amused. "I don't think any of us should be going with dates to the wedding anyway - we'll just all go together."

"But I'm not dancing." Ron said.

"Me neither." Harry agreed.

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Boys!"

Some things never change; Harry smiled to himself. But there were more changes lurking around the corner, ones he had never anticipated.

A/N: Despite the last sentence, this is a one-shot. Just a little scene I wanted to write to top off HBP.

-->