Unofficial Portkey Archive

Short Letter Vs Long Letter by [x]Mrs_H_Potter[x]
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Short Letter Vs Long Letter

[x]Mrs_H_Potter[x]

AN: This was a challenge from the Portkey forums. Pretty much I had to write a story which contained the following line: I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I wrote a long one instead

Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter or any of the Harry Potter world

Name: Short Letter Vs Long Letter
Rating: G
Words: 1108

Couplings: H/Hr

Hermione sat back and watched as Hedwig flew off with the newly written letter to Harry. She hadn't seen him since they finished Hogwarts 2 months ago. She sighed inwardly and walked over to her bed. Taking one look out the window she got under the covers and fell into a deep slumber full of dreams about Harry.

****

Harry sat at the table at his new apartment. It had been 2 months since Hermione, Ron and himself had left Hogwarts, 6 months since he had defeated Voldemort and just over a year since he realized Hermione was the love of his life. He still couldn't understand why he never told her before they left Hogwarts.

"It was for her protection" he whispered into his cup. Drinking the last of his tea and putting the cup into the sink he walked into the newly re-furbished study. He took out a piece of parchment and dabbed the tip of his quill with
ink.

Dear Hermione he scrawled down before he was interrupted by Hedwig flying through the window and onto the desk, tipping the ink bottle all over the parchment.

"Dammit Hedwig" he cursed, trying to dab clean the now ruin letter. Well the beginnings of a letter. He looked up just in time to see Hedwig extend her left leg. Smiling at the bird he grabbed the letter off her.

"I don't have an treats in here, I will give one to you later" he smiled. Hedwig hooted before flying over to her perch and falling asleep. Harry looked down at the envelope which had his name written neatly across it. A big grin spread across his face at the realization of who had sent the letter. Noticing her handwriting a mile away he ripped open the envelope and began to read the long letter.

To My Dearest Harry,

I can't believe it has been over 2 months since I have seen you. What has been going on in your life? I have changed a lot over the past month or so. I don't read as much as I used to. I know, I know my parents were just as shocked about that as I assume you are.

I can't believe Hogwarts days are over. I didn't realize how much I would actually miss it until I got home. It seemed like yesterday when I met you on the train there. Ron trying to do magic and you looking lost in the corner.

Speaking of Ron have you heard from him? He hasn't written to me yet, not that I am expecting him to. Maybe I will write him a letter when I get back from my grandparents house.

How are Professor Lupin, Dobby and Winky going? I still can't believe they are working for you. Oh well I can't complain at least you are paying them.

Harry laughed as he read about the house elves. It had taken a lot of time to calm Hermione down after she found out that they were going to be working for him. Of course once she knew they would be fully paid and given vacation time she seemed to settle down. He smiled as he remembered the days at Hogwarts when S.P.E.W was invented. Shaking his head he went back to reading the letter:

There is a reason I am writing this letter. It has taken me nearly two months to get up enough courage to write this. I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I wrote a long one instead, so I will write the rest of this pretty quickly. I have missed you a lot the past two months, well more this past month gone by. For the past year I have been really confused, between me dating Ron, you defeating Voldemort and graduating Hogwarts I didn't have time to process everything.

Being the person I am, I had to research every possible thing on how I was feeling and why I was feeling that way. No matter how hard I tried I kept coming back to the same conclusion, I am sorry if this causes problems between us, but I love you Harry Potter. I have been trying to find a way to say that to you but nothing every seemed write.

Please reply to this letter even if it is just a short one. I would like to know how you are. I won't be home for four weeks as I am visiting my grandparents from tomorrow onwards.

Love always and forever
your best friend
Hermione

Harry sat there looking at the letter; his mouth hanging slightly open, his eyes wide and his hand shaking.

'She loves me' he thought to himself.

"She loves me" he yelled. Jumping up from his seat, he ran to his bedroom. Putting a light jacket on and grabbing his inadvisability cloak he jumped on his broom and shot out the open window.

****

It took him just over half an hour to get to Hermione's front door. Taking off the cloak and shrinking his broom he knocked lightly on the door. He heard footsteps and then the door swung open. A fairly tall man with light brown hair stood there looking at him.

"Can I help you?" he asked in a deep tone.

"I...Uh...Is Hermione here?" Harry stuttered.

"Yes she is, but she went to bed about an hour ago"

Harry looked down at his watched and realized it was nearly midnight. Looking up at the tall man, which he now knew was most likely Hermione's dad.

"I didn't realize the time" he started "I will be quick" Hermione's dad looked at him and nodded before moving out of the way to let Harry in.

"Up the stairs third door to your right" he smiled. Harry bounded off up the stairs and counted the doors until he came to the door to Hermione's room. He slowly opened it and peaked in. He could see Hermione lying on her bed. He wasn't sure whether she was asleep or awake so he decided to take a closer look. He shut the door silently behind him and walked quietly over to the bed. He looked down at her. Her eyes were closed and her breathing was light and steady. Smiling he lied down next to her, putting his arm protectively over her waist.

"I love you too" he whispered in her ear. He closed his eyes and fell into a deep sleep minutes later. He didn't see the smile on Hermione's face and he didn't realize the two figures standing at the door.