Unofficial Portkey Archive

Momentary Peace by radagast
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Momentary Peace

radagast

Once the guests arrived bearing presents for the newly weds the reception burst into full flow. All the arduous preparation was over and the show began. By this time it was already nearing seven o'clock. A beaming smile was fixed upon Bill's face as he watched his stunning wife greet her family from France and their acquaintances from Gringotts.

Minuscule fairies spun and danced in the trees and low hedges lighting the circular patio that preceded the Burrow. The scene became more romantic as the night deepened. Mrs. Weasley was dressed in her finest robes as was Mr. Weasley for their proudest moment as parents. Ron had graciously accepted the new robes the affluent Weasley twins had offered and appeared very dapper as he chatted to a few of his school friends.

At nine o'clock a group of hassled wizards apparated onto the scene, the wizarding musicians were as usual delayed by the day's events. They played infectious music that calmed everyone's soul as they swayed to the exquisite rhythms and soothing melodies. Every now and again they added a muggle song which none of the guests recognised except the few muggleborns or squibs.

Harry Potter smiled at the peaceful sight from the cramped kitchen of the Burrow. Already magic was scrubbing used dishes and plates, foam filled the sink and bubbles floated through into the colourful living room. Part of his heart warmed at the picture of happiness before him while another part ached at what could potentially be lost. Over one hundred people were situated in the spacious garden, chatting or dancing, laughing at old times as young children ran and whirled around the make-up dance floor. He chuckled to himself as a throng of small sandy haired children chased leathery gnomes throughout the garden.

"You get all dolled up and then spend the entire time enclosed in the house," laughed Hermione leaning against the doorway. She wore a simple red gown and very light make up giving her an immaculate appearance. "What?" she asked perplexed at his lasting gaze.

"I missed you last year. We barely spoke and when we did we argued." His eyes returned to the window as Lupin took a delighted Tonks into his arms, she eased into his embrace and they began a slow gentle dance.

"We've both learned something from it though," she replied moving to stand beside him at the sink. "Maybe we needed that to help us grow up. If it helps I'm sorry for the way I acted. So foolish and immature."

"You were in love. Apparently that's what people in love do." He chuckled and picked up his glass of firewhiskey.

"I thought I was in love. But I wasn't…I just wanted to be." She grasped the hand holding his glass and poured the firewhiskey down the sink. Harry grinned at her scolding look. "Well Ms. Granger, I am so thrilled to have you back."

"And what about you?" she prompted.

"I can't see what's going to happen afterwards. I used to have all these images of the future but not anymore. If I triumph what then?" The shift in subject astounded her. He was never one to speak so deeply or emotionally, usually he would scream and shout. Now he was almost incoherent.

"You'll stop being the Boy Who Lived or the Chosen One. You'll find a wife and have a family. You'll buy an enormous mansion and raise your kids. At weekends you'll attend Quidditch matches with Ron, and he'll bring his children. All twelve of them," she finished with a smile.

He almost glared at her joyful spirit before shaking his head in disbelief "How can you be so hopeful?"

"Because we're at a damn wedding, not a funeral. And if you don't have hope you have nothing else." She placed her head on his shoulder and moved closer to him as he wrapped his hands around her.

"In case I never get to tell you this," he hesitated a moment before continuing "I love you. It doesn't matter what you did or what you do in the future I'll always love you. You're more than a friend and more than what a sister could ever be."

She did not reply, no words could ever summarize her thoughts. She loved him just the same. No more no less. This was relationship which could never be matched by anyone else. She vowed along time ago to do everything in her power to make sure he would have a normal life even though he was the most extraordinary person she had ever met.

A few minutes later they returned to the source of the cheerful noises. A long table had been decked with the most delicious food in all the country and round tables were occupied by nearly every person. Bill was waltzing leisurely with Fleur and Lupin was still entertaining Tonks. The twins chatted animatedly to Professor McGonagall and Professor Flitwick. Hermione was soon locked in conversation with Mr. Weasley about computer science. Ron dropped into a seat beside Harry.

"Good turnout isn't it. I didn't know Bill had much friends, suppose it's not like he's Percy or something."

"Who's that tall grey-haired man talking to your mum?" Harry inquired curiously.

"Mr. Lovegood, Luna's dad. Look's like a vampire doesn't he but Luna says it was an experiment gone wrong," Ron responded enthusiastically.

"Talked to Luna have we? Thought you didn't like her?" Harry asked with a raised eyebrow.

"She's actually quite nice. Quirky but friendly. I think her eccentricity intimidates people sometimes." Harry nodded in agreement with a knowing smile. Ron excused himself saying he needed to speak to Luna about something. Harry made his way over to Hermione who gave him a look of pure desperation when Mr. Weasley turned his back. "May I have this dance milady," he said with outstretched hand. After ensuring Arthur was not offended she let herself be pulled onto the dance floor by Harry.

"Nicely done," she complimented.

"Dancing doesn't need an excuse. It more or less speaks for itself," he answered with a seductive grin. Placing a hand on her waist he took her hand in his. They soon relaxed into the comforting rhythm.

"I've never even heard this song," Hermione interjected breaking the momentary silence.

"It's pretty old. I once heard it in a memory that Lupin showed me of my parents. My mother was singing it to me; she was trying to get me to sleep." His grip which tightened slightly when he spoke of Lily lessened again. Unexpectedly he began to half speak-half sing the lyrics.

Heaven, I'm in heaven
And my heart beats so that I can hardly speak
And I seem to find the happiness I seek
When we're out together dancing cheek to cheek

Heaven, I'm in heaven
And the cares that hung around me through the week
Seem to vanish like a gambler's lucky streak
When we're out together dancing cheek to cheek

The melody quickened slightly and their movement became more jumpy. He smiled and laughed as she playfully added steps.

Oh I love to climb a mountain
And to reach the highest peak
But it doesn't thrill me half as much
As dancing cheek to cheek

Oh I love to go out fishing
In a river or a creek
But I don't enjoy it half as much
As dancing cheek to cheek

Unpredictably he twirled her out at arms length and in response she rotated back into the alcove made by his body. It had been a long time since either of them had had such fun.

Dance with me
I want my arm about you
The charm about you
Will carry me through...

To heaven, I'm in heaven
And my heart beats so that I can hardly speak
And I seem to find the happiness I seek
When we're out together dancing, out together dancing
Out together dancing cheek to cheek

*************************************************

I urge to hear this song. It's called `Dancing Cheek to Cheek' by the astounding Fred Astaire.

I know this is quite short but I hope this could be a prelude to a story I hope to continue to write. For now it's more or less a stand alone.

Happy Easter.

-->