Unofficial Portkey Archive

Road to the End by Noelle
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Road to the End

Noelle

The entire school grounds are hushed, so not even the wind whispers through the leaves on the tall trees. The end of fall approaches quickly, and a chill travels up his spine. He stands among hundreds of others in a huge black mass. No one cries, and if they do it is muffled into a shoulder of another. He stands at the front of them, being their strength. A casket is elevated infront of them, one the color of molassas; shining in the dying november sun.

Someone reaches out and touches his shoulder hesitantly, and he turns his entire body to face them. He meets a pair of misty hazel orbs. Long, dark lashes are damp, her cheeks are slightly tinted pink, and her lips parted and wet. She wears black robes, and although they are heavy, she is shuddering and shivering violently infront of him.

His heart is sparked to life, and he reaches out to her. He pulls her to him, his arm circling around her shoulder. She presses her cheek against his collarbone, and her own arms come around his waist. He rests his chin on her unruly hair, and that's when his own eyes begin to mist. Another person comes to his side, though not touching, the presence is enough to make his cheeks moist with fallen tears.

Three best friends stand at Dumbledore's casket, paying their respects to a man who changed their world. Soon, even the sky begins to drop tears of rain to soak the earth. His heart quickens, and he fights with all his inner demons to not break down. He closes his eyes as the rain cascades over his eyelids, then dripping off the tip of his nose onto her hair. He tightens his grip on her them, causing her to choke out a sob.

"Let's go in, Mate, everyone else has already left." The presence beside him speaks in a comforting voice, coaxing him to return to the castle.

"You go. I'll stay." Is all he says. He loosens his grip on the woman in his arms now, but she continues to hold him. His heart warms at the action, as he stares at the casket.

The teachers who stand on the other side of the casket raise their wands into the chilling air, and they all glow a light hue of blue. The casket begins to fade, and his heart leaps to his throat. He reaches out his free hand, his fingers spread. His eyes are wide, and his mouth drops open as realization hammers it's way into his very soul.

A haunting hymn is being sung, a hymn that the one who rests in the casket loved. He drops his hand, placing it around the woman who holds him. He turns his cheek against her hair, closing his eyes. A hand comes to rest on his shoulder, the hand of the presence beside him.

"Rest Albus. Please rest Professor Dumbledore." He whispers, and his words are carried away.

"Lets go mate." The hand on his shoulder squeezes comfortingly, and he looks up. He nods slowly, and casting a look over his shoulder to where the casket was, he turns and heads toward the castle.

---------------------

Alright, it was short but there will be more. Tell me what you think.