Unofficial Portkey Archive

Those of the Blood by dolfingurl
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Those of the Blood

dolfingurl

Prologue

Hermione twirled her wedding ring around her finger. She tended to do this when she was nervous.

"Hermione, don't worry. Everything's going to be fine," Ginny tried to calm her friend down. "I'm almost positive this time."

"That's what you said last time, and the time before that, and the time before that..." Hermione trailed off, tears almost threatening to leak out of her eyes. This was one of the only things she had wanted her whole life. Five years was too long to wait for it. She didn't want to have to wait one month more.

"Okay, this new charm works almost instantly. Are you ready?" Ginny asked, pointing her wand at her friend.

"Just do it," Hermione said, squeezing her eyes shut to avoid seeing the black color she was all too familiar with.

"Hermione, look, it's positive!" Ginny exclaimed.

"Ginny, you're not joking with me, are you?" Hermione begged her friend not to break her heart once again, giving her false hope like that.

"Look for yourself," Ginny replied. Hermione opened her eyes and saw a bright red glow coming from her stomach. "Congratulations, you're pregnant."

"Oh, Ginny, I'm pregnant," Hermione whispered, barely able to believe it.

"Yes, I told you that already." Ginny smiled, remembering her own shock when she realized she was pregnant for the first time.

"Harry and I are going to have a baby," she said, a little louder this time.

"You'll make great parents," Ginny assured her.

"We're going to be parents!" This time, Hermione nearly squealed in excitement. After 5 years of marriage, she and Harry were finally pregnant.

"This is the happiest day of my life." Hermione hugged Ginny, knowing nothing could bring her down.

"Harry, I have great news." Hermione greeted her husband with the grin she still wore from when Ginny was there.

"Hermione, wait, let me get this out first." Harry sighed, not knowing how to break the news to his wife.

"What's wrong? Is it something at work? The Weasley's, are they okay?" Hermione's mind fluttered on many different scenarios that could make Harry this grave, but none of them even came close to the reason he was so solemn.

"He's back," Harry stated bluntly. "Voldemort is advancing on Hogwarts as we speak. You know I have to go."

Hermione heart fell and she knew Harry was right. Since Harry had told her about the prophecy that stated he must be the one to kill Voldemort, she had always had the fear in the back of her mind that Harry would one day leave her and would either return a murderer, even of such an evil person as Voldemort, and his conscience would be forever torn up by this, or he would never return again.

"Hermione, I have to go."

"I know. Go. But please, be careful. For me, and for the baby." Hermione's eyes, sparkling with unshed tears, still held a happiness and joy.

"A baby? You're pregnant?" Harry looked at his wife lovingly, almost not able to believe what he had heard.

"Yes Harry, we're going to be parents. So protect yourself. I love you."

"I love you. And you too," he added the last part gazing lovingly at Hermione's perfectly flat stomach. Now, even more, he had to destroy Voldemort, not only for the entire world, but also for his precious child.

Harry turned his face up again to stare into Hermione's. She was able to hold back the tears, but he could see them resting on her lower lid, almost spilling out. He leaned forward and tendering brushed his lips across hers. Hermione pulled him closer, not wanting the kiss to end. After a few moments, Harry pulled away. "I'm sorry," he whispered, then Disapparated with a loud "pop." As Hermione stared into the air that was once surrounding her husband, she broke down into sobs.

That night, Hermione did something she hadn't done since she had entered Hogwarts. She prayed. While she had been brought up with religious parents, she had never really seen the need for religion. But now, in her time of need, she thought, if there is a higher power, now would be a great time to appeal to it.

Her heart over flowed with concern, pouring into her pleading words of protection for the man she loved with all her heart. Around 4 am, she finally drifted off to sleep. She only succumbed to the need as she thought of the child, her child, which depended on her for everything.

"I want to give you the best life possible. That is why your father is not here tonight. He's making the world a better place," Hermione caressed and spoke to her stomach as she slipped off into a thankfully dreamless sleep.