Unofficial Portkey Archive

Veritas by Lady Starlight
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Veritas

Lady Starlight

I'm rather excited to be part of this site, as many authors whom I respect are also around here. As some of you know, I'm madscientist's beta, but have started doing a little work on my own. So, if you see some influence from him… well, it's to be expected.

I cannot give enough thanks to my betas, Anndee Granger and madscientist. Both of them have put up with my attempts to start writing my own work and have been incredibly encouraging.

Disclaimer: No money is being made on this piece and no infringement is intended on the intellectual properties for J.K. Rowling, her publishers, or Warner Brothers. Though, I really wish that she would start Deathly Hallows out this way…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The fireplace in the back room of Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes turned green and out tumbled three teens, one after the other. As they hit the floor, they rolled and wands snapped out. Satisfied that no one was around, the tallest stood and headed for the front of the shop.

"Training's paying off, Hermione," said Harry, momentarily grinning at her. He stood and reached out a hand to her.

"Just because I'm not accustomed to death-defying Quidditch plays, doesn't mean that I'm clumsy," Hermione retorted, with a brief grin of her own as she took his hand and stood. "Scourgify," her wand flicked and they were both cleaned of the soot and waited for Ron to return with his twin brothers.

It had been about three weeks now since their world had irrevocably changed. Since the great White Wizard had fallen. At first, they all returned to their respective homes, but it did not take long for Hedwig to tire of the mail back and forth. The trio was planning their next move. After being apart for two weeks, they reestablished Grimmauld Place as a base, with access only to themselves and Dobby. A few days after that, Remus and Tonks had been added onto the list of accesses and had begun training the Trio, making up for time lost due to distractions. They had contacted the Twins earlier about producing some products for them, and were there to pick them up before they began their quest for real.

"Glad to have you here, Harry, Hermione," Fred began, walking into the room, trailed by George and Ron.

"Are you sure you wanted to come in the back way, Harry? I'm sure there are many up front who would love to speak with you," George continued, winking at Harry. "In all seriousness, mate, we got what you asked for, and a few more things besides."

Harry nodded and they continued.

"Immediately after…the end of the last term, we started working on some special toys for you guys," Fred said. "These items won't go into mass production, and you'll understand why in a moment. First, take a look at these," and he tossed Hermione a pair of ordinary looking glasses.

"They're Cat-Eye Specs, meant to be used against the Peruvian Instant Darkness Powder," George explained, "We figured that Hermione could help us develop a simpler spell so you can just use them on your glasses, Harry."

"Hey, what are these?" Ron asked, picking up a pellet from a pile next to the glasses.

"Those are a variation on the Fainting Fancy chews, Ron," George said, gently taking it from him, "Throw one into a room and the occupants will pass out. It's subtler than a Stupefy, but slower."

"I'm impressed so far, what are you going to show us next?" Hermione smirked.

"You'll like these," Fred promised, "WhizBang Bursts. Throw these and they'll explode with a bright light and noise when they impact. We're also working on an improved Shield Cloak and a remote Extendable Ear, come look."

"Excuse me," Verity interrupted, "but I need one of you to come up front for a minute."

"No problem, I'll be right back," and George jogged up to the front of the store with Fred remaining to show the Trio more of their toys.

Verity touched Hermione's arm lightly, "Hermione, I would like to speak to you for a moment. Alone, if I could."

Hermione waved the boys off and followed Verity to a different corner of the back room.

"So…" Verity wouldn't meet Hermione's eyes, "how's Harry doing since the break-up?"

"What break-up?" Hermione questioned, "He's still dating Ginny."

"Are you sure? The twins mentioned that she was moping around the house about it. Surely you knew. I mean, what kind of guy breaks up with a girl at a funeral, anyways?"

"Harry hasn't…" Hermione paused, bewildered, "He didn't say anything," she whispered.

"Hey, Hermione," Harry shouted across the room, "we're going to gather up this stuff and head back to Grimmauld. Ready to go?"

"Not yet, Harry, but go on without me…girl stuff, you know?" Hermione smiled, unconvincingly.

Harry looked at her for a moment, then, "Ok, Hermione, see you in a bit." And then he and Ron Flooed out and Fred returned to the front.

Hermione rounded on Verity and nailed her down with a glare, "Ok, spill. Now."

"Well, I started to become suspicious last summer. The day you guys were in here, some things turned up missing. But, that was a very busy day, so I didn't worry too much about it."

"Continue…" Hermione was visibly restraining herself.

"The Patented Daydream Charms. Some of the low-level love potions," Hermione tried to interrupt, but Verity continued, "Do you know some of the effects of those Pygmy Puffs? They are innocent by themselves, but, depending on the color, can emphasize the effects of other potions and charms."

"Ginny. And Arnold. What happened, Verity? What did she do to m…Harry?"

"I didn't suspect anything at first, but there was a great deal of stuff missing the same day that you guys were in here. But, it's not as if you were the only ones in here that day, so we just wrote it off as a loss. After all, likely as not, the person would buy more."

"What kind of stuff, Verity? And what about Arnold?" Hermione's knuckles were turning white, her desire to lash out at the one responsible for hurting Harry so very strong.

"Oh yes," she started again, flustered with having been distracted, "I really didn't suspect anything at all until I heard that Ginny was dating Harry. It seemed so ridiculous, honestly. The twins were surprised as well, and said that they had always figured it would be you and Harry. Anyways," Verity hurried on, noting Hermione's frustration, "some of the low level love potions had been stolen, along with the Patented Daydream Charm. Arnold is purple, which is the color that complements these products. If someone were using these products, the user would have a tendency to fixate on him-and his owner. It was never a deliberate effect, only something that the twins noticed with one of the pink ones when they were testing some new items for the Snackboxes."

"So…let me see if I'm understanding this… Arnold would have helped focus and increase the power of the potions that Ginny was feeding-"

"Harry. It's the only answer that makes sense. She had asked for the details as to how the products works, well, I don't know exactly, but I shared what I knew. I thought, at first, that she just wanted to get one up on her brothers."

"Dear Merlin, Harry!" exclaimed Hermione, her hands clapped over her mouth in horror. "I never suspected, I only wanted him to be happy, and safe, and… I failed him. I was scared and I failed him."

"I couldn't think of who else to come to. Who else would know him well enough and be able to do something to see if my suspicions were correct," Verity reached out and gently laid her hand on Hermione's arm.

Hermione dropped her hands and glanced at the ground briefly. Raising her head, her face was set, and for a moment, Verity feared her.

"I'm leaving now, Verity. Thank you for your information. Please keep in touch," Hermione turned away coolly, already focused elsewhere.

"What do you want me to do, Hermione?" Verity asked hesitantly.

"Don't do anything different than you were. Don't let her know what you suspect. If she lets something slip, tell me immediately."

Verity nodded and Hermione headed purposefully towards the Floo. In a moment and a rush a green flame, she was gone. Verity shivered, before heading back to the customers in the front of the store.

Hermione tumbled into the Leaky Cauldron, having been unsure of where she wanted to go, but knowing that she had to get out of Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes, but not ready to go home yet. She wandered out into Muggle London, letting her thoughts overtake her as she tried to figure out her next step. Having reached an intersection, she paused, realizing that this was not the safest place to wander alone. She ducked into a nearby alley and disappeared with a soft CRACK.

Another CRACK and displaced air and she arrived outside the gates of Hogwarts, intending to take a walk around the lake. It took her only a moment before she realized her mistake.

"Oh, bloody hell. Of course the gate is locked." She continued to curse her lack of focus as she turned around to head for the Shrieking Shack and ran right into a wall, otherwise known as Hagrid.

"'Allo, 'ermione!" Hagrid exclaimed, "Fancy seeing you here."

"Hi, Hagrid, on your way into Hogwarts?" she blushed at someone else catching her to in momentary lapse of judgment.

"Sure am, wanna join me?"

"That'd be great, Hagrid," grinned Hermione and she followed him onto the grounds. After a moment, she asked, "Hagrid, do you know anything about the Pygmy Puffs that Fred and George have been selling?"

"Those little things? Not that interesting. Had ta ask them why they're even botherin'. Rather boring creatures. Though, they did mention that the creatures interacted funny with some of their stuff."

Hermione sighed, Hagrid not being able to tell her anything new.

"Though, funny you should ask, Ginny was askin' me the same thing, sometime last year."

Hermione stopped suddenly, "What did you tell her, Hagrid?"

Hagrid had to take several steps back towards Hermione, as he had kept walking. "Why, the same thing I just told you, what the twins had told me. What's wrong, 'Ermione?"

"I need to get back home, Hagrid, thanks for talking to me," she turned quickly to get beyond the gates and the anti-Apparition wards.

"Ok, Hermione, talk to ya later!" Hagrid shouted as she sprinted away.

Opening the door to Grimmauld Place, Hermione was immediately accosted by Harry and Ron.

"Where have you been, Hermione?" Harry almost shouted, "Verity said that you left awhile ago. Do you have any clue how worried I've been? We-"

Ron just stood back, surprised by Harry's force.

"I'm sorry, Harry," Hermione went to him, putting her hand on his arm, "I'm so sorry that I hurt you." Her expression was grim and her eyes so full of pain.

Harry stopped, his mouth open as he saw her expression, far too grave for this situation. He continued, much quieter, his anger gone and concern coming through, "I was just worried, something could have happened to you. What if you ran into Death Eaters and we couldn't be there."

"I'm sorry, Harry. I should have been paying more attention. I just needed some time to think. I'm here now."

Harry nodded, having taken her free hand in his. Then, realizing their position, stepped back. "I'm going to finish that book you said I should read. I'll see you guys at supper," and with that, Harry headed upstairs to his room.

"Not now, Ron," Hermione cut him off before he could begin, "I need to go to the Library." She headed upstairs as well and Ron stood there for a moment, before heading to his own room.

When the Trio had reunited, there had been no talk about Harry and Ginny. Hermione simply did not want to know and figured that the time he spent alone, without her and Ron, was so that he could write to her. Instead, Hermione had focused on figuring out the details of the prophecy, something she had avoided for a year. But, she knew now that they all had to face this terror head on. There was no more hiding, no more trying to keep Harry safe-after all, that had failed rather spectacularly. Harry, in particular, was driven to learn as much as he could. She had watched as his magic reached new levels, how he learned spells faster than before, how the results were more powerful than she or Ron could manage. It was as if the shackles, that had somehow restrained him this past year, had been broken and he was finally becoming the wizard he should be, one whose power would rival Dumbledore's.

But now, now that she knew that things were long over with Harry and Ginny, she worried about the time he spent alone. Why hadn't he told them? Didn't he trust her? Why was he keeping secrets from her? A niggling voice reminded her, she had failed him this past year. Why should he even still trust her, when she had pulled back? She had been scared, a shame to her House. Now, she would figure out what happened to him. It was her duty.

Resolute, Hermione stopped her pacing and headed towards her door. Books rarely failed her and this better not be one of those times.

Hours later, she rubbed her eyes tiredly, having attacked the Black library with a vengeance, in search of answers and confirmations for her theories. Her conclusions only worsened her guilt over what had happened to Harry. And now, it was time to face him.

Reaching Harry's door, she hesitated, before she knocked on it and waited for a response.

"Come in," Harry replied offhandedly, looking over to see Hermione enter the room. Noting her determined expression, he set the book he had been trying to read, unsuccessfully, on the table next to him and gave her his full attention. "What's happened, Hermione?"

"I… We need to talk, Harry," Hermione began. She looked down briefly before walking over to sit on the chair next to his. She met his eyes, "Why didn't you tell m..us that you had broken up with Ginny? We're you're best friends and I'd expect-"

"Who told you?" Harry was looking down. "And what does it matter anyways? You and Ron have each other and I didn't want to…get in the way."

Hermione reached a hand over and lifted up his chin, "What nonsense are you talking about? You thought Ron and I were together? That we were dating? I love Ron, but like a brother. A rather tall brother, who eats far too much and gets himself in trouble and is rather hotheaded…"

"Then you're not? But, at the funeral…and you guys don't fight anymore, well, not as much."

"Who was I supposed to hug, you? You were with her."

Harry noted the bitterness in her voice, but let it rest for the moment, "And he's fancied you since fourth year."

"Ron has never fancied me, Harry. And I've never fancied him. We've gotten along better because we finally cleared the air between us. We know how much our fighting has hurt you and so have worked harder to get along. There's too much at stake to be alienating you."

Harry sat back, surprised. He had long expected Ron and Hermione to get together, but this revelation… He looked at Hermione, and smiled. "Thank you. You both are better friends than I deserve."

Hermione's demeanor instantly changed, her expression hardening. "No, you deserve far better friends than us, Harry Potter. We… No. I failed you. I spent this past year trying to keep you safe and I failed you. I got scared, after the Department of Mysteries, and then hearing about that prophecy and I pulled away. I focused on being normal. But, we aren't normal, are we, Harry? We never will be. I learned the hard way. I should have trusted you last year. I should have helped you. But, I didn't and now Dumbledore is…dead."

"You could never fail me, Hermione," Harry reached for her hands and scooted closer to her. "I should have restarted the DA, I should have worked harder in classes. I should have been able to save Dumbledore."

"It wasn't your fault, Harry," she shook her head as he started to interrupt, "It was Ginny's, she was too stupid."

Surprised, Harry sat up, and Hermione continued.

"There was a reason why you suddenly fancied a girl you had never shown any interest in before. There was a reason why you couldn't fight Snape. Ginny."

"I don't understand, Hermione."

Standing up, Hermione walked over the window and then turned back to look at him. "She dosed you with love potions and possibly the Patented Daydream Charm from the Weasley twins' shop. And it was all amplified by that blasted Pygmy Puff," she spat. "And she knew it. She knew what she was doing in her desperation to achieve her dreams of dating the Boy-Who-Lived." She carefully watched Harry's face, noting hurt warring with anger. "But, that is not the least of it. The bint couldn't even research the side effects. She weakened you; your own magic was tied up in trying to fight off all of the potions and enchantments. That's why you had so much trouble this past year, and why you've accelerated so rapidly since returning from Hogwarts." She stopped, letting everything soak in.

"This is what…Verity told you, is it? Did she know?" Harry was closed off, his voice quiet.

"Some of it," Hermione admitted. "I had to tell you, Harry. You had to know. I just… I guess I'll go now, if that's what you want."

"Thank you, Hermione. For telling me, that is. What would I do without you?" Harry looked up, meeting her eyes, and he went on, trying to calm the anxiety that he saw there, "I'm not mad at you, I just… I need some time to think. I promise I won't run off, ok?"

Harry was suddenly enveloped in a tight hug, his face full of bushy, brown hair.

Slightly sheepish, Hermione backed off a step, but didn't let go of him completely, "I'll just head back to my room, then. If you need anything, I'm here for you."

"Thanks, Hermione. Goodnight."

She walked backwards a few steps, before turning and heading out the door, thoughts whirling through her head.

Harry sat down on his bed and put his head in his hands.

A few moments later, he stood up and headed for Ron's room, needing to apologize to his best mate. He walked in the door without knocking, noting that Ron was still up, reading a Quidditch magazine.

"What's up, mate?" Ron asked, surprised to see Harry in his room this late.

"Can I sit down?" After waiting for Ron's nod, Harry pushed some clothes out of his way and grabbed a seat on his bed. "I…uh…never told you, but Ginny and I broke up. At Dumbledore's funeral."

"Not really surprised, but at a funeral? What were ya thinking, Harry?"

"Ok, bad timing, I know. But that's not really the issue. You see, part of the reason why I haven't been hanging around you and Hermione much is that…" Harry ducked his head, "I thought you two were dating."

"What?! Are you mental? Well, no, but she is, some of the time. Why would you think that me and Hermione would ever get together? I mean, we don't fancy each other, never have." Ron restrained himself from laughing.

"I just…always thought you did, you know. How you acted fourth year and all, getting jealous over Krum, and this past year…"

"You did notice that I snogged Lavender after Hermione had asked me on a date, didn't you? We're just friends, better friends, now that some errors have been cleared up." Ron leaned back against the head of the bed, "Is that all you came in here for?"

"Actually, Ron, it wasn't," Harry began, not wanting to look at Ron, so contenting himself with picking at his jeans. "Hermione came and told me something a little while ago. About Ginny."

"Go on…"

"Hermione said that Ginny fed me love potions and other stuff. That's why we dated. And that's why I couldn't do magic properly, mine was all tied-up in fighting the potions." Harry looked up at Ron, waiting.

Looking away briefly, Ron began, "Doesn't surprise me, really. Mum always talked about how she'd like you and Ginny together, and me an' Hermione and we could be 'one, big, happy Weasley family' and all… Ginny's always been spoiled, thinks she can get whatever she wants… I didn't have nothing to do with it though, Harry," Ron looked back to him, "You're not blaming me, are you?"

"Never, Ron. But, I had to tell you. Especially before we go the wedding in a few days. I'll just avoid her, I don't want to start a fight and ruin this for Bill and Fleur."

Ron nodded.

"Ok, well then…I'll just go. See you in the morning." And with that, Harry went back to his room and a night of restless sleep.