Unofficial Portkey Archive

A Scandal for Every Season by Amethyst
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A Scandal for Every Season

Amethyst

A Scandal for Every Season

Prologue

Approximately 1yr and 3 months after the marriage of Harry Potter and Hermione Granger.

Harry walked into the bedchamber he shared with his wife and felt an automatic smile form on his face. Hermione was feeding their daughter, Lily's dark curls stark against Hermione's pale skin. Hermione had insisted on feeding Lillian herself instead of hiring a wet nurse, which Harry in the end agreed with. He understood her reasons; Hermione didn't want Lily getting attached to any woman but her true mother.

Hermione glanced up at his entrance and smiled brightly. "She's hungry today."

"And she's growing like a little baby Hagrid."

"Mama tells me all babies grow this fast," Hermione laughed. "I don't think we have a little giant on our hands."

"That's good," Harry said, perching on the edge of the bed. "I'd hate to try to put a giant on a broom."

Hermione narrowed her eyes. "You're not putting Lily on any brooms, Harry."

"Whyever not? Many young ladies ride," Harry said innocently.

"It's not her sex that worries me!" Hermione cried. "It's your reckless flying!"

Lily started to stir at the ruckus and Harry decided not to press the issue.

"I'd never let anything happen to her. But if it worries you so, I won't encourage her."

Hermione leveled a skeptical gaze at him but let the matter drop. Harry watched with amusement as Lillian left off feeding with a final sucking sound. Hermione lowered her to the bed beside her, and then retied her nightgown, as Lily closed her eyes with a content gurgle.

"She's adorable," Harry whispered.

Hermione snuggled into his side. "She's perfect. I think she's going to have your eyes."

Harry chuckled. "They're still completely blue."

Hermione shrugged. "Just a feeling."

Harry stroked her arm. "I actually came in to tell you about an interesting letter I've just had."

"Oh?" Hermione asked, eyes widened with curiosity.

Harry nodded. "It was from Mr. Weasley - Ronald, that is. It seems Miss Weasley is…with child."

Hermione gasped and sat straight. "By whom?"

Harry couldn't stop a smirk. "Malfoy."

Hermione's eyebrows shot up. "I didn't think he'd have anything to do with her after their little plan failed."

"Evidently, he did," Harry shrugged. "Unfortunately, now he's refusing to marry her. No doubt his mother had a fit at the very suggestion. The Weasleys have asked my assistance in mediating the situation. I'm afraid I feel obligated to go. Malfoy is our relation, after all."

Hermione wrinkled her nose. "How dreadful. But I understand your feelings on the matter. If you think you should go, then I will not protest."

Harry smiled wistfully at her. "I hate to leave you and Lily so soon."

"Don't worry," Hermione said, kissing his cheek. "We'll be just fine. But hurry back. I'll miss you."

"I'd best prepare to go, then," Harry said, leaning down to plant a kiss on her lips. "I'll come back to say goodbye before I leave."

"I'll be here," Hermione said wryly.