Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Value of Life by Lady Starlight
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Value of Life

Lady Starlight

A/ Notes: One-shot. This started out as an experiment to see if I could write fanfic and I was pleased enough with the result to submit it.

Written for the 2006 hogwartsharmony LJ comm's Secret Santa Exchange for madscientist aka bladeandwand on LJ.

Disclaimer: No money is being collected, no infringement intended upon the creative property of J.K. Rowling, Scholastic Books, or Warner Brothers. Also, I really don't think JKR would write something like this.

Thank you very much to AnndeeGranger for betaing this for me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Is Daniel down for his nap?" Hermione inquired, turning towards Harry as he entered the living room in their house in Godric's Hollow.

"Yes," Harry smiled, "snuggled with that dragon your parents gave him and his blue blanket." He crossed the room towards Hermione, who was curled on the couch, watching their two-year-old daughter, Emilia, playing on the floor in front of her. He sat down next to Hermione, wrapping one arm behind her and pulling her to him, "I'm not sure his sister will be quite so cooperative, though."

Hermione grinned and they both watched their daughter playing on the floor with her new Kneazle, Tad, teasing it with some leftover ribbon from yesterday's Christmas presents.

Crookshanks was pretending to sleep near the fire, yet kept one eye half open, keeping watch on their newcomer.

"Come on, pumpkin," Hermione cajoled, leaning forwards to her daughter, "you need to take a nap." Emilia looked up at her and began to open her mouth to argue. "Uncle Remus and Aunt Tonks are coming over later," Hermione interrupted, "so you'll need to get some sleep or you won't be able to play."

The little girl turned back to her Kneazle and starting explaining that it was the Tad's naptime and that he had better go to sleep.

Harry stifled his laughter at his daughter's antics, exchanging a grin with Hermione.

Scooping up Tad, she held him around the middle like a doll, and proceeded to walk in the opposite direction of the stairs.

"Oh, no you don't, little one," Hermione reprimanded, her tone gentle.

Harry flicked his wand and Emilia lifted up off the ground and floated gently back to them.

There was a large, toothy grin on their daughter's face, and giggles began to escape her mouth, which she pressed into her Kneazle, who pretended not to mind being used as a doll.

"If I didn't know better," Hermione began, pulling the little girl close and putting their noses together, "I would think that you were hoping your dad would do that."

The little girl just grinned again, glancing at her father.

Hermione crooked an eyebrow at Harry.

"She loves flying, Hermione," explained Harry, pulling their daughter into his arms and messing up her already-unruly hair.

"Daddy, we go now? Please, go?" Emilia exclaimed, starting to jump on her dad.

"No, pumpkin, it's nap time now. Maybe later, Daddy will take you out on his broom, ok?" comforted Harry, pulling "Pumpkin" back down in an effort to calm her and not get hurt by her jumping or the Kneazle's claws.

"Come on, let's head upstairs," directed Hermione, standing up smoothly from the couch; she turned and reached a hand towards Harry, "and put our future Quidditch player to bed."

Harry stood up without hesitation, cradling his girl and her Kneazle and the trio headed out of the living room and towards the stairs to the second level where all the bedrooms were located.

The door was cracked for the first room on the right. Hermione opened the door slightly, waving Harry on, to see their son curled up in his crib, which he thankfully had not yet learned to crawl out of. Hermione crept across the room and paused by the crib, before reaching down to gently stroke Daniel's hair. The dragon had gotten pushed aside, so she tucked it back under the blanket and headed back out of the room. She gently closed the door most of the way again and they proceeded to the second room on the right.

Walking into the room, Hermione was careful to step around a stuffed unicorn and a toy crown on her way to the bed where Harry had tucked the little girl and Kneazle under a purple blanket.

Harry was rubbing her back, telling Emilia about riding hippogriffs. Hermione perched on the edge of the bed next to Harry, and leaned down to give the girl a hug and kiss.

"Yes dear, we did. We had to rescue a good man from some bad people," Hermione explained. Harry wrapped an arm around Hermione's waist, holding her tight. "Your dad and I couldn't stand by and let him get hurt."

"You're good to stop bad guys," the little girl responded.

"We try, pumpkin," Harry said, taking his daughter's hand and changing the subject to a lighter one, "That's why the Sorting Hat put us in Gryffindor."

"Me go Hogwarts?" Emilia asked, trying to sit up again.

Hermione gently pushed her back under her blanket, "Yes, dear, after you get your letter when you turn eleven. But now, little girls need sleep." They both stood and Harry went to close the curtains before they headed back to the hallway. Hermione left the door open just a crack and then grabbed Harry's hand tightly, leading him back downstairs.

"I'm going to make some tea, dear," Harry paused at the bottom of the steps, looking to Hermione, "Would you like some?"

"Yes, Harry, thank you," Hermione smiled up at him, "I'll meet you in the living room."

Harry leaned down and gave her a gentle kiss and then strolled off to the kitchen.

Wandering into the living room, she slowly made her way to the large bay window looking out over their expansive backyard. The snow had started softly falling, yet in the distance near the base of an old tree, she could see that two tombstones still peeked out. The final resting places of James and Lily Potter, the first of many people who loved Harry to fall to the darkness.

She continued to watch the snow, thinking of others who had fallen and now lay in cold graves, members of the Order and of the DA, which had been reformed their seventh year. Her heart clenched as she remembered those whose death still hurt her more than any other, brother and sister to them in all that mattered.

The loss of Ron and Luna still haunted them. They would have gladly traded places, given the chance. Now, as Aurors, they fought to keep the same darkness from rising again. Voldemort might be gone, but there would always be another eager to take his place, to take a dark path to power. They would always be a target, as would anyone close to them. Yet they refused to hide, it was against their nature.

Harry came into the room, carrying a small tray, but set it down quickly upon seeing Hermione standing at the window, holding herself tightly. He crossed the room and wrapped her up in his arms from behind, wanting desperately to soothe whatever worry had disturbed her earlier happy mood. He leaned his head down to her ear, "What's wrong, Hermione?"

Hermione turned around and buried her face in Harry's chest.

Harry gently lifted her chin up, there were tears shining in her eyes.

"I want Ron and Luna back, Harry. I want our children safe. What if we can't protect them, Harry, what if they're never safe, what if we lose them too?"

Harry pulled Hermione close again, stroking her head, "We'll do the best we can, Hermione. And we'll teach them to defend themselves and to fight back when necessary. I can't promise you that nothing bad will happen, but you know that I will do everything in my power to keep them safe, whoever dares to plot against us. And I know too, that you'll do no less."

Hermione looked up at him, a small smile on her lips, "Whatever darkness comes, I'll face it with you."

Harry leaned down, one hand running up her back to help support her, while Hermione's arms snaked around his neck, her hands running through his hair. Their lips met, gentle, slow kisses at first, until Hermione opened her lips more, her darting out to run along Harry's. He pulled her tighter and opened his mouth more as well, his kisses intensifying, his tongue caressing hers.

She pulled back, breathless, but stopped Harry from leaning in again. "I do believe, Mr. Potter, that the house is quiet."

"A good observation, Mrs. Potter," Harry stated, a mischievous glint in his eyes, "And the Lupins won't be here for awhile."

Hermione grinned back at him and sauntered towards the couch.