Unofficial Portkey Archive

A Moment in Spring by Lady Starlight
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A Moment in Spring

Lady Starlight

A/N: This is the same universe as my work The Value of Life.

Thank you very, very much to AnndeeGranger for betaing this short fic for me.

I'm in the middle of a third fic in this universe, but am unsure when it will be finished.

Disclaimer: No money is being collected, no infringement intended upon the creative property of J.K. Rowling, Scholastic Books, or Warner Brothers. Also, I really don't think JKR would write something like this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Squeak-squeak.

Squeak-squeak.

Giggle. "Mummy, higher!"

Squeak-squeak.

It should be so easy, Hermione thought, to just relax in the warm sunshine and gentle breeze, coupled with the rhythmic sound of the swing on this spring morning. The grounds were recovering from winter, at their home in Godric's Hollow. Yet the stiffness in her shoulder from the raid yesterday (the miscreant responsible was currently in a Ministry cell), and thoughts of how it was almost lunchtime, and was Harry being careful with Daniel on the Firebolt, and what time her parents were coming for dinner and that last bit of paperwork in the office that she had put aside to-

"Mummy, higher!" squealed three-year-old Emilia, her black hair flying behind her with every push.

Squeak-squeak.

Hermione closed her eyes for moment, feeling the breeze caress her skin.

Squeak-squeak.

Slowly, like putting a pile of books back onto their shelves, she began to put aside one care at a time until her mind was quiet.

Squeak-squeak.

"Are you having fun, Emilia?"

"Yes! Higher, Mummy."

Squeak-squeak.

Hermione could not help but laugh at her daughter's carefree abandon,

Emilia responded with her own giggles, not knowing what was funny, but simply happy.

Squeak-squeak.

"Whee!" the little girl shouted.

Squeak-squeak.

In a fit of sentimentality, Hermione wished that this moment could go on for awhile longer: this perfect moment of happiness and contentment.

Squeak-squeak.

Squeak-squeak.

"Hey, love," whispered Harry into her ear as he wrapped an arm around her, Daniel squirming to get out of the other one.

"Daddy! Danny!" Emilia clambered out of the swing that her mum had stopped pushing in order to hug her dad. "Me up! Please."

Grinning, Harry passed Daniel to Hermione and picked Emilia up and swung her around in a circle before settling her on his shoulders.

"What do you say we race Mummy and Daniel into the house?" enticed Harry, with a sly wink at Hermione.

"Yes! Go, Daddy," Emilia clapped her hands and bounced on Harry's shoulders as he took off running to the house.

Hermione followed at a slower pace, laughing at the pair of them. Pulling her son closer, she could not help but think that their lives were made up of so many moments like these.

"What do you say we catch up to Daddy and Em, Daniel?"

"Daddy. Daddy," the toddler repeated.

"Let's go," and Hermione hurried off, Daniel giggling.