Unofficial Portkey Archive

How to Save A Life by WarriorPride23
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

How to Save A Life

WarriorPride23

From the moment I wake, to the moment I sleep

I'll always be there; just you try and stop me.

--Shiver by Coldplay

O.o.O.o.O.o.O.o.O.o.O

"Harry?" Hermione ventured. They were sitting on the couch in the privacy of the Heads' Common Room. Harry was stretched out on one side of the couch with Hermione on the other side, their feet entangled in the middle.

Harry popped his head up from his magazine and looked at his girlfriend.

"Can I ask you something?" she asked. Harry nodded and put aside his magazine aside for the time being.

"You know you can ask me anything," he replied. Hermione looked away for a brief second before turning her attention back to him.

"Not that I'm complaining about this, because I reap extremely well liked benefits from it, but how did you get so tall and, well, buff over the span of three weeks? Because at the end of the year, I was taller than you by a good three inches and I'm at average height for a girl?" Hermione asked. Harry sighed.

"Well, at the end of the year, before we had left the castle, I spoke with Madame Pomfrey and Amelia Bones, before she was murdered. I asked Madame Pomfrey if there was anything about potions dealing with nutrition and the like. She gave me an entire folder on the subject and once I had permission to use a time turner from Amelia, I spoke with her about giving me a six months' supply of various potions to help me. Amelia gave me her personal time turner because trying to get one through the Ministry is like trying to get through United States customs with a gun. Really, now that I think about it, she could have lost her job over even having one, let alone letting me use it," Harry replied. Hermione sat for a second before speaking again.

"So you used potions and a time turner?" she said. Harry nodded.

"I did it during the first three weeks of summer so I had time to finish everything and do what I wanted with the rest of break. Using the potions I had been given, I worked out constantly every day, repeating the entire process eight times. The potions I was given reversed the damage done when I was a kid from malnutrition and the like. It wasn't pleasant in the least," Harry said.

"So what happened?" Hermione asked.

"Well, I would wake up at six every morning and take four different potions. And because of the nature of the potions, I would have to eat or they would upset my stomach even more. So, I would sneak down to the kitchen and fix something healthy, thankfully Dudley's doctors were trying a new diet for him, and then for the next two hours I would wait for the nausea to stop. At eight, I would go for my run around the park and then I would leave for the gym. When I got back, I'd clean up and then start reading all our text books and the books Dumbledore left me," Harry said.

"And your car," Hermione began. "When we did all of those things over the summer it never quite sat right with me because I know it was all expensive. How did you do it?"

"Well, after my run with the potions was finished, I kept using the time turner in effort to get some things straightened around. I took the Knight Bus and went to Gringotts to set things up for my bank account and other things. As I'm sure you know, Goblin magic is very extensive, and so I collaborated with them about making me a license, a passport, and a debit card. The debit card is under the disguise of the muggle bank Barclays and a pseudo-account is set up, though using some magic I don't actually withdraw from that bank account. When I use it, I withdraw from my account in Gringotts. For all intents and purposes, the muggle account is useless, just a disguise," Harry said.

"Of course, owning a car and driving it is technically illegal because I was still underage in the non-magical community but I poured over driving books to learn the rules and such and used extra effort not to get pulled over," Harry continued. "Plus, even if I was legal, I wouldn't have done it the regular way because it takes forever to get a license in the UK."

Hermione was stunned. And then she began to laugh. Harry frowned slightly and raised an eyebrow in question.

"What's so funny?" he asked.

"Nothing, it's just…my boyfriend for all intents and purposes is a scofflaw," Hermione giggled. Harry rolled his eyes.

"Breaking the laws isn't really new to me," he said. She rolled her eyes in return, though she nodded her head in agreement.

"Well, it was an eventful summer for you then," Hermione said before frowning. "But why didn't you tell me all of this sooner?" Harry shrugged.

"Honestly, it never crossed my mind. I didn't find it that important so I never really talk about it," he replied. Hermione's eyes narrowed but she didn't say anything.

"Well, next time you break the law, it would be kind of you to tell me," she finally said. Harry snorted.

"Next time I break the law, you'll probably be with me."

O.o.O.o.O.o.O.o.O.o.O

The next day, Harry made his way to Dawson's office. He hadn't been training with him in a very long while and the night before, he had gotten a letter saying he was needed in his office at two.

"Harry," his professor greeted as soon as Harry stepped in the classroom. Harry nodded his greeting and leaned on one of the desks waiting for Dawson to talk.

"Well, as I know you know, we haven't trained in a very long time. And that was because I was…indisposed to do so. I was wondering if you would like to start once more?" Dawson asked.

"Well, sir, with all due respect, I don't think I can. Those things we've talked about have been taken care of, all but one that is but it's in my possession. Once those are completely off the list, I'm starting in on Voldemort immediately. While you were incapable of training with me, I took the liberty to do it when I had the time, so I've been staying in shape and such. While I don't necessarily have the…finesse in dueling, I've been reading Dumbledore's diaries that he left me and I've picked up on quite a few things. And of course, I practice them every chance I get," Harry said. "It was a good idea at the time, but things have changed drastically since this school year started and I would like to end this as soon as possible."

Dawson nodded.

"Very diplomatically said, Harry," he said. "I will respect your choice. And I want you to know you have me on your side and if you need anything, and I mean anything, you can come to me." Harry nodded.

"Thank you, sir," he said, a grateful smile coming across his face. "That's nice to know."

"Now, I'm sure you can find something to do at three in the afternoon, eh?" Dawson said, raising his eyebrow. Harry laughed and nodded. He waved his goodbye and stepped out of the classroom and made his way down the corridor.

"Hermione!" Harry said, jogging to catch up with his girlfriend. She stopped and turned to wait for him.

"Hello, love," she said warmly, leaning up to kiss him quickly. He took her hand in his and they continued down the corridor.

"What brings you down here?" Harry asked.

"Professor Vector wanted to talk to me about Dimensional Analysis," Hermione said. "What about you?"

"Dawson wanted to talk to me about more training," Harry said. Hermione frowned.

"Yes, you two haven't been doing that for quite some time now," she said. Harry shrugged.

"All I got from him was that he was `indisposed'," Harry said. "No matter, you know I've been keeping up on my fitness as much as I can." Hermione smirked to herself before looking up at her boyfriend.

"Yes, I do know that," she said. Harry snorted but had to smile. Hermione could be coy, but she could play dirty with the best of them.

"Mm, feeling playful are we?" he asked, leaning down to kiss her. She smiled against his lips.

"Slightly," she said. Harry looked at her for a brief second before speeding the pace of his walk up to almost a jog. He kept his hand firmly in Hermione's, and she had no choice but to quicken as well.

"What the devil's gotten into you?" she asked as practically flew up a flight of stairs and down another corridor. Harry threw her a sly grin before quickening his pace again.

"I'm feeling playful," is all he said. Hermione rolled her eyes and let herself be pulled through the halls and to their Common Room.

She had to admit though, as Harry placed her on the couch, she liked it when he was playful.

O.o.O.o.O.o.O.o.O.o.O

"I will have you know," Ron started," that this is not my idea of a fun Friday night." Harry rolled his eyes as he placed the necklace on the large metal table the Room of Requirement had provided them.

"We all know you like to snog Luna, Ron," Hermione replied. "You don't need to tell us what you'd rather be doing." Ron rolled his eyes.

"You say it like you and Harry don't do the same thing," Ron replied. "Blimey, sometimes I don't see you two for hours. Shag like bloody rabbits, you two do." Hermione scowled at the redhead.

"I will have you know, Harry and I have done no such thing!"

Ron rolled his eyes. "Please, what else possibly could you two be doing then, eh? Planting a garden?"

"A relationship isn't just about physicality, Ronald. Harry and I talk about substantial things, like our hopes and dreams for the future," Hermione replied, a tinge of disdain in her tone. It took all of two seconds before Ron burst into laughter.

"Hopes and dreams, eh mate?" Ron spluttered. He whacked Harry on the back. "I can hear the ball and chain dropping as we speak." Harry scowled.

"Oh, like I haven't heard you whispering to Luna about getting married and having a nice house on top of a hill someplace in BFE," Harry retorted. Ron stopped laughing and flushed. Harry gave a nod.

"Right then, now that we've put aside our childish tendencies for a minute," Harry said. "How the bloody hell are we going to destroy this thing?" The three of them stared at the necklace.

"Well," Hermione began," I took the liberty of researching a few choice spells to try out." The boys looked at her expectantly. Sighing slightly, she continued.

"Secedo fraction of vita e quod intereo, which literally means to withdraw the fraction of life from within and die, secedo malum quod discerpo totus ties ex victus quod mortuus, which means withdraw the evil and sever all ties from the living and dead, and esculentus ut lux lucis quod pereo, which means to succumb to the light and be destroyed," Hermione said. Harry nodded.

"Right then, I've done the spell to tell us how powerful it is, and it looks like this was the second to last Horcrux to be made," Harry said. Ron frowned.

"Mate, you know how in a duel you get tired from being fired at, even if you aren't being hit?" Ron asked. Harry nodded. "Well, do you think it could be the same for inanimate objects?" Harry frowned and Ron hastened to elaborate.

"What it is that I mean is, if we hit the necklace with one of those spells each in quick succession, do you think it will break through the defenses put on it, make it tired so to speak?" Ron asked. Harry looked at the necklace thoughtfully.

"Well, it's worth a try, right?" he said, looking at Hermione for approval. She shrugged and nodded.

"If worse comes to worse, it won't work and we'll just have to find another way to get rid of it," she said. Harry nodded.

"Right then, Ron first, Hermione second, I'll go last. On the count of three," Harry said. "One…two…three!"

"Secedo fraction of vita e quod intereo!"

"Secedo malum quod discerpo totus ties ex victus quod mortuus!"

"Esculentus ut lux lucis quod pereo!"

Three bright lights shot from each wand in quick succession. The spells were absorbed into the necklace and for a few nerve-racking seconds nothing happened. But then from the center of the diamond, a sea of black mist began to float up before an even bigger sea of white mist circled around it. Slowly, the black mist was encompassed in white and then it vanished from the air entirely. What was left was a dull looking silver chain with a lackluster diamond on it.

"That takes care of that then," Ron said. Harry and Hermione nodded. Harry stepped forward and pocketed the necklace. He grinned at Ron.

"I reckon you can go have a fun Friday night with Luna, mate," he said. He turned his attention to Hermione. "And we can have one ourselves."

O.o.O.o.O.o.O.o.O.o.O

That night in the Heads' Common Room, Hermione was sitting Indian style on the couch while Harry was sprawled out in one of the armchairs, looking into the fire. He noticed a small frown marred his girlfriend's face, which made him frown slightly.

"What's wrong, love?" he questioned. He, for one, thought it was a night to celebrate. Hermione's frown deepened before she replied.

"Name off the Horcruxes we've gotten rid of," she said. Harry frowned slightly before doing so.

"The diary, the ring, the locket, Nagini, the cup, and the necklace," Harry said.

"That's only six, Harry," Hermione said.

"Yeah, Voldemort would be the seventh," he replied. She shook her head.

"No, Voldemort is what's left. He split his soul into seven pieces, and the body he has now isn't included. It came after," Hermione said. Harry frowned even further.

"So what you're saying is that there's another piece of that bastard's soul out there someplace that we haven't found yet," Harry said. Hermione nodded.

"Well that's just bloody fantastic!" he said. "Just when I thought I could finish this…" He sighed.

"When did you have time to think of this?" he asked. Hermione sighed.

"About two weeks now," she said.

"Why didn't you say anything before?" Harry asked angrily. Hermione shot him a look.

"Sorry if I wanted to have a pleasant Christmas break with my family and boyfriend," she retorted. Harry had enough dignity to look apologetic. Her glare softened before she looked away from him entirely. He sighed again.

"And I suppose in those two weeks you've figured out what the seventh piece is then?" Harry asked. Hermione hesitated before nodding. "What?" She hesitated again.

"It's…I don't know for sure, Harry," she said. "It's just speculation." Harry rolled his eyes.

"Out with it Hermione," he said. "You don't tell me these things if they're just speculation."

"It's…it's your scar," Hermione said. "The seventh piece is your scar." It was quiet enough to hear a pin drop. Hermione looked at Harry and winced. His jaw was set and the small vein in his temple was visible. He was pissed.

"My scar?" he said after some time. Hermione nodded. She opened her mouth as if to say something before stopping herself.

"And why is that?" Harry asked.

"Well…you aren't a true Horcrux," Hermione said. "It's by de facto. Obviously, he never did the spell to make an honest Horcrux on you. It happened when he tried to kill you as a baby; a part of his soul was forced into you when his spell backfired. It's why you have a connection to him. You can feel his emotions when they're strong, you can sense when he is nearby, and you can receive insight into his mental states. It's because the piece of his soul is trying to get out and find its body, so to speak." Harry was quiet once more.

"It isn't over until I can get it out of me, then," Harry said. "I can kill him now, but he wouldn't be dead. Bloody hell!" He was out of the chair and pacing before she could blink.

"How do I get it out of me?" he asked, eyes blazing with anger. "How do I get it out of me?"

"I'm not sure yet. I need your help researching it," Hermione said. She stood also, and walked to him. "We will get through this Harry." She put both hands on his shoulders to stop him from pacing. Once he was still, she moved both of her hands to frame the sides of his face.

"Look at me," she said softly. His eyes met hers and all she could see was fear. "I love you. We will get through this." He could no longer meet her eyes.

"How?" his voice cracked. "How can you love me knowing this? Knowing that I have a piece of a murderer stuck in my head?"

"Because I love you, Harry James. I love the kind, caring, loyal, brave, intelligent, funny, insufferable man you are," Hermione whispered. His eyes met hers once more.

"And the piece of Voldemort inside my head?" he said.

"It has nothing to do with me loving you. Do you know why?" she asked. He shook his head.

"Because it isn't you, and you aren't him," she replied.

"How…?" Harry trailed off.

"I love you, and I know you love me. A monster like that would never be capable of loving someone," Hermione said. Harry took a deep breath and when he let it out, it was with a shudder. Just as his tears began to fall, Hermione brought him to her and held him.

"I love you," she whispered as he cried. His hold on her tightened and his tears became quiet sobs that were muffled by her shoulder. "I love you." With those words, Harry seemed to sober up some and he pulled away from her shoulder. Sniffing, he wiped his tears and looked at the fire.

Hermione took her hand and placed it on his cheek and pushed, until his head turned and his eyes caught hers.

"I told you this before, and I'll promise it to you now. We will get through this," she said.

"I love you," Harry whispered.

"And I love you," Hermione whispered back. She placed and kiss on his forehead, right on his scar.

She didn't let go of him all night.

(TBC)

Okay. Me thinks it is time to have a chat with you all. Let me get on my soapbox for a second:

When I started this fic, it was 07. I have to say, I was young and naive. Not that I'm not young and naïve now (because there's always room to grow and I am but a lowly high school senior getting ready to graduate in the spring), but I like to think that I have matured in the past two years. Enough to notice that my writing was mediocre at best then, and is only slightly better now that I've worked my ass off in Honors and AP English courses. I understand that the first several chapters of my story needs work, and my writing style has changed slightly. Some of it isn't believable, but the fact is, this story is AU. Through and through. The closest thing to canon I've put in here is the fact that there are Horcruxes and such. Many things need to be addressed.

  1. I understand that the growth Harry went through in the summer is not possible. I noticed that a few chapters back, when I went over my story (which was a long few months back). I've been toying with the idea of doing a half-assed job of trying to fix that problem. Hence, the tid bit in the beginning of this chapter. As I said before, when I started this story, I was in the phase of being young and "invincible". Yeah, right. No such thing.

  2. Some seem to think Harry is too in touch with his emotions in this story. Well, like I said, it is AU. BUT! Yes folks, I said but. I like to think that for the past seven years Harry has been friends with Hermione, he would be able to learn something from her. If in canon Harry can fall in love with Ginny in two weeks, then he sure as hell can gain some emotional ability other than rage and anger and recklessness in AU.

  3. I will admit that last chapter, I made a mistake in my own story. Yes, for a long time I did not update, nor did I even look at this story. My muse had left me. I completely forgot that Harry had met Elizabeth's mum and dad in the summer, and I had come up with a new character for the grandmum entirely. I am so sorry. It's fixed now, if anyone is wondering. That was my fault and since I've seemed to get back into writing, hopefully a mistake like that won't happen again. I thank the reviewer who kindly reminded me of that.

  4. In lieu of all this, I'd like to give a small reminder to those who are reading my story, or who have tried to. As said above, this story is AU. There is no two ways about it. I'm sorry if I haven't been able to hold interest for some people. It's your own opinion, you're entitled to it. I thank you for trying to read it. And I thank those who have read it and reviewed. It's greatly appreciated and when at times I feel like saying to hell with this (which, I won't lie, is often), I read the reviews and see how many people enjoy this and it gets me off my lazy ass and I write. Thank you so much.

Right. I'm off my soapbox now. I've said my piece, and I encourage you all to say yours. ;) Thank you again for staying with me through this, and I will try my hardest to have this story finished by 2010. It's around there someplace anyway, maybe a few months after the start of the new year. Ugh…yikes. It's already close enough to think about the start of the new year…

-->